[hashcash] Re: SpamAssassin / hashcash deployment stats?

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Adam Back <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:20:29 -0500

Adam Back wrote:

Wouldn't spamassassin benefit from knowing the recipients address
independently from hashcash requirement to know that?

At least when people write .procmailrc files to weed out spam a common
strategy is to throw away mail that is not To, or Cc one of your own
addresses.  If you know who the recipient is spamassassin could
negatively score based on absense of one of your own addresses.

Isn't there some kind of workable default that is unlikely to hurt? Like *@`hostname` but explicitly excluding "localhost" as an allowed hostname in a site wide config. And $USER@`hostname` in an end-user config?

I imagine the deployment of hashcash within SA could improve a *lot*
if we could find some workable default config.  People make the
minimal required settings in config files and I presume SA suffers
from this principle also.

a site wide hashcashd could handle most of what you describe. it could handle serial and parallel double spending without knowing users. it would leak only the first stamp from a spammer. if user knowledge is available, it wouldn't even do that.

I need to think on this a bit more but smells like the right direction.

--- eric