[hashcash] Re: Research: "95% of email is junk"

  • From: "John Honan" <jhonan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:58:35 +0100

On 7/27/06, Eric S. Johansson <esj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John Honan wrote: > Link: > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5219554.stm > > Some statistics from a report by 'email security firm' Return Path; > > - 95% of all email is junk (spam, viruses, error messages) > - Less than 4% is legitimate traffic > - 99% of the computers they 'monitor' have been taken over by spammers > - Only 1% of net addresses could be regarded as legitimate sources of > mail. The rest are hijacked computers, or bots, used by spammers to send > e-mail > > Another company 'Ironport' claims that 80% of email comes from > compromised hosts.

you know, percentage numbers are pretty much useless without a reference
enabling you to turn it into real numbers.  For example, 80 percent of
e-mail coming from compromised hosts means what?  How much e-mail over
what period?  good Lord, this is the very statistic we need to get a
handle on the zombie problem with respect proof of work puzzles.

I agree. Also, this appears to be a commercial whitepaper (which is why I
called out the two company names) - So I'd love to find out more about their
research methods, but I was unable to find any background papers on either
of their websites.

The very fact they are 'email security' firms could mean the data results
are skewed (i.e. the hosts they are monitoring could be more prone to being
compromised) - So, if anyone comes across any references which use more
reliable research methods, I'm all ears!