[hashcash] Re: Pure Python implementation of hashcash v.1

  • From: "David Mertz, Ph.D." <mertz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Adam Back <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:14:14 -0400

Hi Adam (and developers),

Do you have a web page for this implementation?
I want to replace David McNab's implementation with yours.
I put up a copy which I can update to your page when you make one:
  http://www.hashcash.org/ -> libs -> python

I banged away at my implementation for a few more hours last night. I didn't hear anything back about errors, but I tweaked it for about 30% speedup (i.e. still MANY times slower than the Altivec C version); and also added some more documentation and a command-line execution capability with options roughly matching the C hashcash module.

The permanent URL for the module will be:

  http://www.gnosis.cx/download/gnosis/util/hashcash.py

I will also incorporate my hashcash.py into my Gnosis Utilities, which lives at http://gnosis.cx/download/Gnosis_Utils-current.tar.gz. But that has not happened yet; and there is certainly no requirement for someone who just wants hashcash to use my whole package. In any case, the relative location will be the same in the package as it is from the "live URL" for the module (you'd just use 'from gnosis.util import hashcash' or the like if you grabbed the whole package).

Anyway, the version I just uploaded is still roughly alpha... but let's call it a pretty good alpha :-). I'm certainly more than happy to improve it with suggestions.

Yours, David...