[hashcash] Re: MUA support through TMDA

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 16:12:37 -0500

Jason R. Mastaler wrote:

> TMDA is generally known as a challenge/response anti-spam system, but
> it has other parts that can be used for more general purposes.  One
> such part is a facility called tmda-inject that sits between your MUA
> and MTA.  You can use this to modify the headers and envelope
> of messages you send, and in this context you can use it to add an
> X-Hashcash header to your outgoing messages.
>
> This provides a MUA-independent way to tokenize your outgoing messages
> which is especially useful if you use an MUA that doesn't provide a
> way to do this.  This is the case with most Windows/Mac MUAs and even
> many Unix ones.  TMDA supports a command-line interface for Unix MUAs
> called tmda-sendmail, and an SMTP interface called tmda-ofmipd, so all
> MUAs regardless of platform are covered.
>
> For more info, see:
>
> http://tmda.net/unstable/config-client.html
> http://tmda.net/unstable/tmda-ofmipd.html
> http://wiki.tmda.net/TmdaHashCashHowto

we did the same type of thing with emailrelay in camram.  I want to push
the entire process into background so the user would not see it and as a
result, I have been successful generating stamps in the ballpark of 30
seconds to a minute with extremely low user impact (i.e. awareness they
shouldn't turn the machine of right away).

I'm glad to see where both thinking about migrating to the Windows
platform so this will be accessible to end-users and not just
technologists like us.

by the way, We should define a stamp sending state machine one of these
days.  I'm personally running with a "send stamps to everyone all the
time so I will know if I do something stupid that it will bite me first
(usually) and not hurt anyone else (except my wife who goes through the
same MTA).

When we start getting a high enough population of stamp users, we really
should implement some form of a FSM to determine when to shut off
sending stamps on both sides.  I'm hoping to make the FSM also include
handling opportunistic signatures.  how they got my notes from a few
months ago if anyone is interested.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears