[hashcash] Re: MTA mints tokens

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:57:27 -0400

Bernhard Kuemel wrote:

Hi hashcash!

If MTAs added tokens to emails this could allow sooner deployment of hashcash while users still use non hashcash MUAs. Small MTAs can take the load while bigger systems may need additional computing resources. A dedicated minter server cost roughly 0.06 cent/minute or 18 minutes/cent. I guess most people would not mind paying 0.06 or even 1 cent per email so this cost can be included in the ISP costs. To avoid spammers abusing this service the number of emails/day can be limited. Heavy email users have to pay extra or make hashcash themselves. Occasionally exceeding the limit may get emails delayed until token computing power get's available at off peak hours. Minting can also be ordered by email priority.

for practical working hashcash based stamp filter see: www.camram.org especially look at the zombie calculator for determining size/cost of stamp.

Talking about wasting resources reminds me I'd rather like to pay real money to the receipient than for wasted resources. But anonymous ecash may be difficult in the days of big brother.

it also has lots of failure modes which can either prevent delivery of e-mail or encourage delivery of spam.

--- eric