[hashcash] [MS-OXPSVAL]: E-Mail Postmark Validation Protocol Specification

  • From: Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:16:37 -0600

Curious if anyone has read over this, and what their thoughts are. This is
Microsoft's implementation of a proof-of-work system, similar to Hashcash
(I hesitate to call it a "derivative").

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc433493%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

From what I can tell, the protocol is covered by a royalty-based patent,
which will prevent any Free Software implementations. What I find
interesting, is the recipients, sender and subject are encoded into a
base-64 string. What's the purpose of this? base-64 encoding doesn't add
any significant time to the processing, and it's trivial to reverse getting
the original data.

Anyway, just curious.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .