[hashcash] Javascript implementation of hashcash

  • From: James Moore <jam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:37:52 -0800

Glad to see some folks are interested in discussing hashcash?
I implemented the hashcash minting and verification functions in
javascript a few weeks ago. I did this after reading about comment log
spam. My thinking was that if the dupe DB and checking functions were
implemented in the blog software it might cut back on the spamming.

What I've found from my implementation is that Javascript is really
slow (duh) and that this might make my effort worthless for the purpose
I stated. If a regular user wants to post a comment they would have to
wait for say 15 seconds while their browser computes a 10-bit
collision. A spammer would not be using a browser and could therefore
compute the collisions much faster. At this point we have to fall back
to flood control and blacklisting to stop the spammer.

There may be room for sliding a small applet (to compute the token)
into the comment submission system but that's more complicated than I
think most people would feel comfortable with.

There's a very good chance my code sucks and that's why it's slow so
I'd be happy to post it or send it to anyone interested in looking at
it.

Anyone else tried something similar?

-James

-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature