[hashcash] Re: Hashcash performance improvements

  • From: Adam Back <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:16:55 +0100

I copied the random.c (also copied back into 0.33 unreleased yet).  I
copied the fastmint stuff into hashcash-1.00 current:

http://www.hashcash.org/source/current/hashcash-1.00/

(and adapted the Makefile so make all or make fastmint_benchtest makes
the fastmint_benchtest, just so we're working from the same code base,
but made no other attempts to integrate at this point):

% fastmint_benchtest
    Rate  Name (* machine default)
  1520290 ANSI Compact 1-pipe *
  1689211 ANSI Standard 1-pipe

% hashcash -s
840336

3.06Ghz P4-xeon w. hyperthreading (actually hyperthreading is disabled
until I install fedora core2 as the keyboard repeat rate goes crazy if
you enable it on fedora core1).

(results from hashcash -s seem a bit quantized, so perhaps I am not
running long enough, however same test is used while generating hashcash
so don't want to take too much real-time).

Well it would be possible to use the other hyperthread, but one thought
is its nice to leave a thread for non-hashcash things to avoid the
machien getting sluggish.  Other view would be to nice the hashcash
generate as Kyle does in hashcash-sendmail, but still make it clobber
any unused processors/threads.

Adam