[hashcash] Re: Hashcash performance improvements

  • From: Adam Back <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 04:33:08 -0400

I put 1.00 pre-release code in:

        http://www.hashcash.org/source/current/

this may have some effect on the approach you use to short-cut the
code outside of SHA1_Transform, as the count has been separated from
the random/collision avoidance field.  Hopefully if anything it should
make things faster as the counter is simpler (no random offset, just
incrementing counter).

Not sure if we want to fold in speed improvements into pre 1.0 or not.
If people are going to continue using perhaps, but on the other hand
better to move forwards.

Note 1.00 code does not read version 0 stamps; that is something that
will probably put in.

Also note that on redhat I compile with -DOPENSSL which then uses
openssl assembler optimized SHA1 rather than my C optimized SHA1.

Hmm but I don't see any evidence of this left in hashcash-0.33.spec,
perhaps that got taken out at some point by accident.  (Several people
contributed .spec file improvements to work on Mandrake, etc as well
with one .spec).

Adam