[hashcash] Re: Hashcash performance improvements

  • From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:55:44 +0100

> Eliminating the huge overhead that this reveals would result in a 50%
> performance boost, even with no CPU-specific optimisations.  (Probably
> less on x86, since the hashing function takes relatively longer there,
> but still significant.)

Excuse me while I eat my own words.  :)

I just finished writing the first round of "libfastmint" routines, and
discovered that far from being only *slightly* improved, I've achieved
a *doubling* of performance on x86.  I'm seeing a steady 2 million
hashes per second on my 1.6GHz Athlon-XP, which is a long way up from
last week.

When compiling with CodeWarrior, I now get 1 million hashes per second
on my 667MHz G4, but only about 700K from GCC.  Further investigation
is warranted - the GCC performance is only a minor improvement over the
original code.

I'll bundle up the new code and transmit it later.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/