[hashcash] Re: Hashcash and GPGPU

  • From: Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 08:24:09 -0600

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 04:07:31PM +0200, Bas Steendijk wrote:
> On 2012-06-16 16:04, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> >Has any work been done to mint tokes using GPUs? I recently purchased to

s/tokes/tokens/;s/to$/two/

Not my best spelling, is it? :)

> i know for a fact that it could be done - bitcoin is done on GPU and
> it's the same kind of work (calculating hashes). so it has to be
> implemented in the official implementation, otherwise spammers have
> the advantage.

Yeah. Of course it's possible. I'm more or less just curious if it's
actually being worked on. Seems the project is dead, and Debian has
debated removing it from the repositories as a result [1], so I'm not
expecting much, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

    1. I'm sure I read this on the -devel list, but now I can't find it.

Right now, I'm only minting 20-bit tokens. It would be nice to mint 24-bit
or larger. :)

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o