[hashcash] Hashcash and Bcc/envelope recipients

  • From: Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:24:17 -0600

I've built a Python script for Mutt that mints tokens based on the
addresses in the To: and Cc: fields, however, how does hashcash handle Bcc:
or envelope recipients? By putting a token for each recipient in the
header, the addresses of those recipients would be revealed, thus
defeating the whole point.

I've thought about minting a token with a resource of "bcc-recipients", and
placing that token in the headers, but then that reveals that there have
been Bcc: recipients added to the mail. I believe the whole point of Bcc:
is to be completely transparent, not revealing to anyone that they exist.

So, I'm guessing that it's probably best to just ignore Bcc: and envelope
recipients in general. I guess I could mint a token for the From: address
(is this what I should be doing anyway?), but then that begs the question
of why not just minting a token using the From: address only, and not worry
about the To: and Cc: addresses?

Am I missing something?

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .