[hashcash] Re: [Fwd: [IRR] New Attacks on Cryptographic Hash Functions]

  • From: Jean-Luc Cooke <jlcooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:03:09 -0400

To be clear:
  MD5 is borken.  The whole thing:
    http://www.md5crk.com/md5col.zip
  SHA-0 is broken.  The whole thing:
    http://www.md5crk.com/sha0col
  HAVAL-128 and RIPEMD-128 and MD4 are also broken using the same techniques.

56 round SHA-1 (out of a possible 80) is broken.

The event of the pasat week cast heavy doubt on the current common techniques
used in hash algorithms.  MD4 was the first to use this unblanced Fiezel
network.

Wirlpool and Tiger are sometimes called "wide-trail" hashs.  Different beasts
entirly.

I suspect even SHA-256 and SHA-384/512 may be vulnerable to these attacks to
some extent.

I expect there to be a flurry of new hashs proposed and adopted as
industry/government/international standards.

JLC