[hashcash] Re: Exchange mucking with the headers

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:54:21 -0400

On 8/31/2011 10:47 AM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
I've come to the knowledge that Exchange is mucking with the mail headers,
stripping out any duplicate fields. This is troublesome for me, as sending
a mail to multiple recipients, means minting many Hashcash tokens, and
placing each token in the header with "X-Hashcash". There may be more than
one present. However, Exchange changes "X-Hashcash" to "x-hashcash", and
removes any dupe "x-hashcash" fields.

there is apparently something in the standard about no duplicate headers. I haven't tracked it down but I saw discussion of it on the Python e-mail module mailing list. In twopenny blue, I generate one mail message copied per token. why?, First off, it really doesn't matter anymore. We have more than enough capacity on most servers/systems to handle it. Second, when I send messages out to multiple people (i.e. mailing list), they're not on the same server as a rule. So they're gonna get duplicated anyway. Third, you don't need to add any additional complexity for blind carbon copy. if you need to split on a message for blind carbon copy, it the same code only simpler to split all messages into one message per token model.

seriously, one token, one message, in my experience, made my code and design much simpler