[hashcash] Re: A summary of the state of play

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:23:01 -0400

Jonathan Morton wrote:

(let's try this again because something failed on my end)

Actually, I received both of them. :)

like I said, something failed on my end ;-)

I think of proof of work stamps as in "introducer".  If you want to talk
to me, you must prove that you really want to talk to me.

Yes, that's a good way to describe it.

But after introduction, you want to be fairly sure you're still talking to the same person. I assume this is what you mean by "opportunistic signatures", and if so, it's what I have a suggested design for.

the "opportunistic" in opportunistic signatures refers to the fact that we take advantage of the very regular pattern of behavior and just sign e-mail whenever possible. And the signature is to make sure we are still talking to the same person. So, I would love to hear the suggested design. I would love to hear even more someone saying "and here's the python module to do that". That was a hint. ;-)

heh. camram implements lots of techniques...

I just went back and re-read your paper on it to refresh my memory. It seems that as of January, you had (effectively) PoW, weak whitelisting and a feedback mechanism implemented. Since then, you've added a content filter, and started talking about signatures and stronger whitelisting.

actually, all those things predate January. If you look in the now very dead sourceforge CVS archive. I've since moved to darcs. Reason being about half the time I tried to use sourceforge CVS it would fail for one reason or another and I would spend God knows how much time trying to make things work.

- Stamps versus pipe size (again, eric mentioned he had a spreadsheet with
some volume calcs. I'd really like to see that)

http://harvee.org/~esj/hcstampcalc.sxc should work

Pity I can't read it on my Mac.

well, I can try excel export. It's a very simple spreadsheet.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct most