[handiham-world] Handiham World for 27 January 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:48:32 -0600

Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 27
January 2010

System. Please do not reply to this message. Use the contact information at
the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Drawing of guy in hardhat climbing ladder

Heard on the air this morning:

"Nothing like an emergency to find out what works and what doesn't."

I had turned on my 2 meter rig, which was tuned to my club's repeater, and I
soon learned that a widespread data outage had occurred in northeastern
Minnesota when a fiber optic line was damaged. A bit of web research filled
in the story a bit more.  The outage began yesterday, January 26, when Qwest
fiber optic cables were damaged at a site outside Duluth, Minnesota. A steam
pipe in a manhole burst, and the hot gas damaged the fiber optic line. The
stations I heard on the repeater were being ported into the Twin Cities via
Echolink, thanks to our repeater's continuous connection to a wide area
repeater network serving the area around western Lake Superior, the LSAC, or
Lake Superior Amateur Coalition, system of linked repeaters.  The stations
were discussing what areas might still not have data service, even though it
was now Wednesday, January 27.  Of course a data outage meant that internet
and 9-11 phone service were down. What was the response of a local TV
station in the area?  Why, to proudly announce that they posted outages and
service status reports... on the internet!

By gluing my ear to the radio, I learned from the repeater conversation that
the LSAC repeaters kept working throughout the emergency.  A fire at an auto
body shop happened during the outage, but had been put out safely.

Well, all of this puts me in mind of some basic truths about emergencies:

1.      You never know when they will happen. They are by their nature
unexpected in a given moment, even though we understand intellectually that
emergencies will happen.
2.      You never know what kind of damage may result or what other problems
may be set in motion because of the original failure. There is often
collateral damage extending outward along unpredictable paths.
3.      You never know exactly where they will happen. Oh, we may be able to
say with some feeling of confidence that our basement ham shack will not
flood from a burst dam, because we are on a hill and there is no dam for
hundreds of miles, but just as we turn the key in the lock and leave for a
week's vacation a water pipe bursts and we come home to a flood of our own.
4.      The media may not report the incident correctly.

The point is that we just never know. Understanding this does require some
knowledge of probabilities, and that in turn helps us to manage the risk.

Take this communications outage, for example. Looking at the three basic
truths, we see that it was completely unexpected, happening at a rather
inconvenient time. It was the result of another infrastructure problem
altogether, since the fiber optic cables would have been just fine if a
steam pipe hadn't burst nearby. Thus, the steam pipe failure constituted the
first emergency, and collateral damage to wide area communications quickly
followed. There are steam pipes and cables running underground all around
the world. Since the underground conduits place these two systems together,
and probably also close to high voltage electrical distribution wiring, you
can see that a catastrophic failure might well spread to other systems.

Who knew that a steam pipe failure would kill the internet? And 9-11
emergency service? And who could predict exactly where the conjunction of
these various types of infrastructure would experience the failure?

Then there is the media. How many times have you listened to a story that
has turned out ultimately to have been reported incorrectly? We know when
the weatherman is wrong because we can tell when the rain falls and the sun
shines, but what about when the media say things that are just not true? The
reporters are well-meaning but often do not understand the technology or
infrastructure that they are reporting about. This can lead to some rather
silly stories making it out onto the air.

Where does amateur radio fit into the picture?

It is obvious to those of us in amateur radio: We provide a communications
system that is redundant and separated from other communications
infrastructure.  There is nothing like redundancy to overcome the first
three basic truths of when and where emergencies will happen and what
collateral damage may result. Repeater systems can be located at different
sites with overlapping coverage. The failure of internet connectivity will
not bring down any individual repeater. A repeater that does go down will
leave the others up and running. Individual operators will still have their
own mobile and fixed stations.  Compare that to a system where stream pipes,
high voltage power lines, and fiber optic data cables all run in close
proximity!

One problem area remains media coverage and perception of amateur radio.  In
story after story, I keep reading about the "old technology" of amateur
radio being pressed into service in one emergency or another. To me, this is
like saying that the telephone is old technology. Everyone knows that the
phone system incorporates new, cutting-edge technology.  The same is true of
amateur radio, but somehow the media never seem to understand this.
Furthermore, once a perception gets out there, it is hard to erase it. We
know that amateur radio is cutting-edge in its new technology, and
incorporates digital systems throughout. My suggestion is that you never
miss an opportunity to let people know how modern and up to date ham radio
is. We have to chip away at the perception that our activity is
old-fashioned, a pastime of yesteryear.

Even so, we will be out there - waiting and ready for the next
communications emergency.

For Handiham World, I'm...

Patrick Tice, wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

For more information about the LSAC System, please visit:

http://www.lsacrepeaters.org/

  _____

ARRL reports that HF Frequencies for Haiti have returned to normal use

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/680> ARRL Diamond Logo

ARRLweb: (Jan 24, 2010) -- Considering the improving communications
situation in Haiti, Dr Cesar Pio Santos, HR2P, IARU Region 2 EMCOR,
announced the release of HF frequencies, including 7.045 and 3.720 MHz, for
normal use. "We thank the world radio amateur community for their support in
keeping these frequencies clear during the past days."

http://www.arrl.org/?artid=9398

This means that we can go ahead and try a Handiham net on 14.305 MHz. There
had been some caution about doing so as the emergency traffic frequency was
on 14.300.

Please email suggested net times to:

Patrick Tice
 <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx> wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

We hope to get the old 14.265 MHz net reconstituted on 14.305, where we will
have no interference from the SATERN net.

  _____

New Positions in the Camping Dept.

New Positions in the Camping Dept. Colleen talks on the radio.

Photo: Colleen Bown gets on the air using phonetics at Radio Camp, thanks to
control operator Bryan, AB3CQ. Colleen says, "CHARLIE OSCAR LIMA LIMA ECHO
ECHO NOVEMBER".

Listen:  <http://handiham.org/audio/colleen.m3u>
http://handiham.org/audio/colleen.m3u

Download:  <http://handiham.org/audio/colleen.mp3>
http://handiham.org/audio/colleen.mp3

News release from Courage Center Camping Director Tom Fogarty, KB0FWQ:

I am happy to announce that Maria Schugel, who previously worked as the
Camping Recruitment Coordinator, has accepted the position of Camp Courage
Program Manager. (The position held for many years by Roger Upcraft, and
recently covered in the interim by Mimi Fogarty.)

Maria has been involved with the Courage Center Camping program for many
years and we have appreciated her contributions to date, including her work
on the new camp website.

I am also happy to announce that Colleen Bown has moved from her previously
held position of Clerical Support to Program Manager at Camp Courage North.
This is Colleen’s tenth year working at Camp Courage North and she has been
a great asset to the Camping Program.

I look forward to working with both Maria and Colleen in these new positions
as we move toward the summer of 2010. More details about our exciting new
programs are available on the website at:

http://www.couragecenter.org/camps

Sincerely,
Tom Fogarty, KB0FWQ
Courage Center Camps

 <javascript:void(0)> ShareThis

  _____

The Older Ham

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/684> Microphone, headphones, and eyeglasses

By Gerd Schrick, WB8IFM (78)

This article is reprinted from the January, 2010 RF Carrier, the newsletter
of the Dayton Amateur Radio Association, with permission of the author.

Like the rest of the population, Hams are getting older these days as well.
We have presently three Hams in our area that have more than 75 years of
Hamming behind them. All are in their 90s, and they still are interested in
Ham Radio, but they need help with their equipment and in particular with
the antennas.

This article will highlight some problems that Hams run into when they pass
the 70-year mark. At that point they still have about 10 years where they
can do things on their own. The hardest part for this age group is to get
adjusted to their ever-decreasing faculties. But if you asked me what is the
biggest problem: it is not eyesight, hearing, reduced muscle strength, a
weak heart or a failing memory, although these are all serious problems,
rather it is the younger folks' poor understanding of the "old people".

Eyesight is normally not much of a problem with most people getting their
eye lenses replaced with plastic ones (cataract surgery). Where the problem
comes in is when fancy but poorly readable fonts and color combinations are
used for printed communication. Also, messages on TV or in movies do not
appear long enough for older people to read and comprehend. Credits for
movies are an example. I was surprised the other day when I watched a movie
where you could read the words, except, of course, it was running by too
fast to comprehend.

Sound is of the utmost importance for communications and for the Hams. Morse
is fine for those who are familiar with it. Normal hearing loss is usually
just limited to the high frequencies and can be easily corrected. However,
in communication we learn: if you cut off the high frequencies in order to
restore readability you should reduce the low frequencies as well and
exactly that is routinely done by the telephone people and Ham operators.

The accepted (reduced) pass band runs from 300 to 3000 Hz. This limitation
is required because of the limited bandwidth technically available but as a
side effect it leads to better readability also. Cell phones go to the
extreme in that they add digital processing which enhances comprehension
even further. I know several older Hams that have switched to cell phones
for that reason.

The car radio handles the bandwidth adjustment easily. There are plainly
labeled bass and treble controls: you turn bass all the way OFF and treble
all the way ON. Leave it there! Add a drop of super glue' if younger folks
borrow grandpa's car. All the Ham gear usually does a good job with the
audio and there are additionally DSP boxes that help if you are willing to
fiddle with a few more knobs.

Of course, the hearing aid industry offers you "high tech" high price
solutions that mostly do poorly for the simple reason that their design does
not address related problems that older people have to cope with. They
assume the volume needs to be cranked up and people want to hide the hearing
aid in their ears. What happens is that the increased volume doesn't help
and the buds fit poorly and fall out. They also get easily misplaced or
lost. Then there are the batteries. They need to be replaced too often,
which poses an additional problem for the older forgetful person.

Here is what I suggest: use a simple belt clip type amplifier adjusted like
the above car radio and clip an electronic (PC-type) mike to your lapel. A
lot of people run around with cell phones, mp3-players or other electronics
on their body. So that should not put a cramp in your lifestyle. I've been
walking around with my cell phone like that!

A plus for radio communication is that Hams know the procedures for
wireless, know how to do simplex and know how to speak clearly and spell
difficult words or names phonetically. I know a few Hams that have "radio
voices", if you hear them, you know what I mean. At a DARA meeting some time
ago, the mike was passed around for everybody to introduce himself. One Ham
had every head turned! This guy had a radio voice. His voice would still be
readable under very adverse conditions.

Now let's look at TV. The pictures are great after the conversion to digital
last summer, but audio is treated as a stepchild. The menu, however, offers
intriguing choices: "custom, dynamic, standard, game, and clear voice!"
Sounds great! Clear voice, that's what I am looking for. But when I switch
from one to the other I find practically NO difference, all the choices are
equally BAD for understanding voice. You'd think something wasn't wired
right. Of course, many actors on TV cannot speak right; good enough for the
younger set, but old folks, no! So I get deeper into the menu, my hope now
centered on the custom mode, and after a lot of clicking with the remote
there are the bass and treble adjustments. With the bass all the way off and
treble all the way on, the sound is real tinny, an indication that the
mid-range is lacking. I change the bass to 20% instead of zero and the sound
improves, but there is no contest to the quality of the car radio.

There is a simple way to improve the sound for voice without any electronics
involved. Try this simple experiment: Form a cup with one hand and place it
behind your ear. This acts like a dish amplifying the audio signals coming
from the front and it does so preferring the all-important higher
frequencies. This is because the size of your hand compared to the
wavelength of sound. I, 2 and 3 kHz correspond to 12, 6 and 3 inches
respectively. Suddenly you understand the person clearly. The other day I
watched Hillary Clinton taking questions from a Chinese student in an
audience. When she had trouble understanding, she cupped a hand over one
ear. You would think she's got the money to buy the best hearing aid there
is, except that would not be too helpful.

Now a few comments about the memory or what is related to it: reaction time.
Did you know your insurance rate goes up at age 75 because of that? You have
to be very patient with senior drivers. Sometimes it seems to take them
forever to get going at a stop sign! However, rates are higher yet for
younger drivers. Their reaction time is very brief, but in their
inexperience they often make snap decisions with dire consequences. Of
course, the older person seems more forgetful. But look at it this way: so
many facts have accumulated in his brain that the difficulty is finding them
quickly. Somebody asks me a question, I don't know the answer, however, ten
minutes later it comes to me! It's like a "search engine" that is rather
slow.

I never did like fast-talking people, I think they have their place in
advertising: and in a circus or freak show, but get real, do they have to
hurry that much? In any case, the older person has a problem to keep up.

The worst problems an old person confronts are the weaker muscles and bones.
I first found out when I could barely loosen the bolts on my car's wheels
and when I couldn't tighten the bolts enough on my rotator so they wouldn't
come loose. Older persons have balance problems, which often leads to falls.
The feared hip fracture might be the result. Soon they walk with a cane,
then a walker and eventually land in a wheel chair.

I hope reading my comments and observations will lead you to look with more
knowledge and sympathy to the older ham. You will all get there eventually.

  _____

Father John Henault (HH6JH) in Haiti, finally makes contact with his brother
via amateur radio

Father John Henault (HH6JH) in Haiti, finally makes contact his brother via
amateur radio

Father John Henault, HH6JH, in the midst of the Haiti disaster, has been
trying to contact his brother since the onset of the earthquake. However,
Father John was unable to get an international phone line out of Haiti.

Today, radio conditions were poor and Father John was garbled and barely
readable. Finally, at 10:18 AM local time, on January 22, after passing
information regarding needed supplies to Fred Moore, W3ZU, in Florida,
Father John was able to chat briefly with his brother, Gerald Henault,
WA1WOB, in Sutton Massachusetts. With phone lines in Father John's area
unreliable and the Internet unavailable, this contact was only possible via
amateur radio, with the aid of the Intercontinental Traffic Net on 14.300
MHz.

Listen:

http://handiham.org/audio/HH6JH.m3u

Download:

http://handiham.org/audio/HH6JH.mp3

HH6JH
John Henault
P.O.Box 658
Port-au-Prince
Haiti

WA1WOB
Gerald A. Henault
29 Blackstone
Sutton, MA 01590

W3ZU
Frederick J Moore
7500 E Pocono Dr
Inverness, FL

(Unlimited non-commercial use of this recording is granted. Credit Brian
Crow, K3VR recording)

  _____

TIPSnet audio: Haitian relief efforts

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/226> On the air: Tuesday it's TIPSnet

Great program on Tuesday with our guest AE2EE Dennis from the IRESC
International Radio Emergency Support Coalition, discussing Haitian relief
efforts on behalf of SATERN and the Maritime Mobile nets.

Here is the podcast link (48:24)

 <http://www.tipsnet.org/TIPSaudio/tipsnet_01192010.mp3>
http://www.tipsnet.org/TIPSaudio/tipsnet_01192010.mp3

  _____

NASA Internship Opportunities

Looking for an internship? This could be the coolest one ever!

In this podcast, Ken Silberman, KB3LLA, and Dave Rosage of the NASA-Goddard
Space Flight Center Office of Education discuss internship opportunities for
disabled faculty members, post docs, graduate students, college students,
and high school students at Goddard in the Summer of 2010. There is more
information at  <http://www.tinyurl.com/disabledinterns>
www.tinyurl.com/disabledinterns.

  _____

Elsewhere

CQ, CQ, BY4AA is calling!

China Ham Radio 2010 Expo + Fest.

Date: April 3-5, 2010

Venue? INTEX Shanghai

Better radio, better communication, better life is the theme:

 <http://www.chinahamexpo.com/indexen.asp>
http://www.chinahamexpo.com/indexen.asp

·         Radio Camp applications will go out next week.  It will be much
easier and cheaper to travel to camp, since our new location at Camp Courage
will allow you to travel by air, Greyhound or Jefferson Lines bus, or
AMTRAK, and there will not be an expensive final leg of the journey to
Bemidji as in past years.

·         We have gotten Wi-Fi internet installed on the Woodland campus
where Radio Camp will be held. Although we are still working on this project
to fine-tune it, we are ahead of schedule.

·         14.305 MHz will be our proposed 20 m net frequency. All stations
are asked to monitor this frequency throughout the day preferably afternoon
and evening, and suggest a time to run the net. Email me at wa0tda@xxxxxxxx
and put "20 meter net" in the subject line.

·         Pat, WA0TDA, will be working on organizing and clean up in the HQ
office on Thursday, January 28. He will be away from his desk most of the
time that day.

·         CQ audio for February is available for our blind members as of
today, Wednesday, thanks to Bob, N1BLF. QST audio digest is also available
for our blind members. The February 2010 audio is posted on members only.

·         Technician 2010 is available with only correct answers: The new
Technician question pool is effective on July 1, 2010. George, N0SBU, has
completed editing out the wrong answers, so we now have the pool available
with the questions listed, followed by only the correct answers.  Many of
our students find this to be an easier way to study directly from the
question pool. Links are sent in the Handiham-Notify mailing each Friday or
Saturday. Ken, K5OFC, has recorded the pool in MP3 format.

·         Shipping address for Handihams: Our shipping address is different
than our mailing address, though we can still get packages and mail at
either address. The thing is, it is much, much easier if packages, such as
equipment donations, are send directly to our headquarters office. This is
the same address where Radio Camp will be held.

Small Google map image showing HQ location on Cedar Lake.

Camp Courage
Handiham System
8046 83rd Street Northwest
Maple Lake, MN 55358-2454

The phone at the main Camp Courage office for all departments is (320)
963-3121.

·         We are on Twitter! Look for us on Twitter by searching for
"handiham". We invite you to follow us. Handiham web page posts are now
"tweeted" automatically!

·         Ken Padgitt has completed the February 2010 Doctor Is In column
from QST for our blind members.

·         Get the four-page year-end Handiham World print edition in audio
read by N1BLF, or in PDF, available right now as a download.

·         Get the Handiham World PDF download:
http://www.handiham.org/files/hhw_winter_2010_final.pdf

·         The January 2010 Worldradio audio digest is available for our
blind members.

·         Get the Handiham World Year-End Edition in audio, read by Bob
Zeida, N1BLF:
http://handiham.org/files/hhw_print_winter_2009_2010.mp3

·         Volunteer reader Bob Zeida, N1BLF, has completed the Winter
2009-10 QCWA Digest.

·         Log in to the member section of the Handiham website and find the
magazine digests in the Library.

·         Our Contact information is the same, but keep watching this space
for changes: Email addresses will not change.

763-520-0512 (Nancy)
763-520-0511 (Pat)

Our email address (for Nancy's office) is
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pat can be reached by email any time, including nights and weekends, at
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

Minnesota Radio Camp dates for 2010, Camp Courage:

Arrive Friday, May 21.
Class days: Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
VE Exam Day: Thursday. Volunteer Examiners arrive in the morning to visit
with campers and eat breakfast together with campers, volunteers, and staff.
Depart Friday, May 28.

Cost of Radio Camp: The cost of Radio Camp depends on your ability to pay,
so anyone can afford to attend. Ask for an application.

·         Camp Courage is west of Minneapolis. The address is 8046 83rd St
NW, Maple Lake, MN‎ 55358.

·         The phone number of the Camp Courage office is (320) 963-3121‎.

·         If you want to receive a Camp Courage summer camp schedule, you
may call for one.

·         The camp schedule includes information about Handiham Radio Camp.

·         If you need specific information about the radio camp or want to
be on the radio camp mailing list, you may call Nancy in the Handiham office
at 1-866-426-3442.

Volunteers:

VOLLI is now in service. It stands for VOLunteer Log In, and is a way for
our Handiham volunteers to register and then enter their volunteer hours
without having to fool around with paper records. We encourage volunteers to
create a user name and password, then submit their hours spent recording
audio, doing club presentations for us, and so on. Volunteer hours are
important, because United Way funding depends in part on volunteer hours. If
you are a volunteer and need a link to VOLLI, please email me at
wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx Our special thanks to my son Will, KC0LJL, who wrote the
Java code for VOLLI.

Volunteers, get your hours in through VOLLI. You may also submit volunteer
hours to Nancy at
 <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Remote Base Status

The Remote Base at Courage North is in service. Please feel free to use this
wonderful member resource.

Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone number
with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or call
her toll-free at 1-866-426-3442. Mornings are the best time to contact us.

Echolink net news

Wednesday evenings the Handiham Echolink net is on the air. Please join us
and check in or simply listen in, as you see fit. Since we are looking
forward to the New Year's holiday, we have at least two days when the
daytime Echolink net may or may not be on the air. Finding net controls for
New Year's Eve and New Year's Day will be a challenge. I would like to
encourage the nets to go on normally those days, and if there is no net
control station, please just feel free to hang out on frequency and have an
informal chat and wish each other a happy holiday season, whichever holiday
you are celebrating!

We are on the air Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM)
or GMT: Thursday morning at 01:30 Z.

Daily except Sunday at 11:00 hours Minnesota time (17:00 GMT)

Where:

·         145.450 MHz N0BVE repeater (Minneapolis-St. Paul)

·         Node 89680 (Echolink worldwide)

·         IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)

·         WIRES system number 1427

By the way, our Net Manager Howard, KE7KNN, reminds us that we need net
control stations for the Wednesday evening net and for the Monday through
Saturday morning net. If you are in the Twin Cities, all you need is a radio
that can get on the 145.45 N0BVE repeater, and if you live outside the RF
area, you can still be net control via Echolink, IRLP, or WIRES.

Supporting Handihams

·         Step one: Follow this link to the secure Courage Center Website:

·         Step two: Fill out the form, being careful to use the pull-down

·         Step three: Submit the form to complete your donation. If the gift

·         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

·         Join for three years at $30.

·         Lifetime membership is $100.

·         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for
the year.

·         Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our
activities.

·         Discontinue your membership.

email: hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

<http://www.handiham.org/> www.handiham.org:

·         Beginner

·         General

·         Extra

·         Operating Skills

·         By wa0tda at 01/27/2010 - 19:41

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/685%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

·         Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/685>  version

·         Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/685>  to friend