[handiham-world] Handiham World for 17 June 2009

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:29:23 -0500

Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 17 June 2009

System <http://handiham.org> . Please do not reply to this message. Use the
contact information at the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Listen to an MP3 audio stream:
Download the MP3 audio to your portable player:
Get this issue as an audio podcast:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Welcome to Handiham World!

Handiham History: Early history notes from N0SBU

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/352> N0SBU reaches 1,000 hour volunteer
milestone

George LaValle, N0SBU, found this early history of the Handiham System and
re-typed it for us. He is continuing to examine and sort through hundreds of
documents and photos as we work on what we are now calling "The Handiham
History Project". You will notice as you read this decades-old text that
terms and language innocently used in that era are ones that are now
considered passé or even politically incorrect.

Rather than change the original text, we are leaving it intact so that you
can see how society has changed and so that you can get a flavor of what
things were like 40 years ago. You will also notice references to hams whose
callsigns have long ago changed, and to those who are now silent keys. Some
of the grammar isn't the best, but you will get the idea. Back in those
days, money was a problem. Well, I guess some things never change! Now,
please enjoy this early history, thanks to N0SBU.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham Manager

The Handi-Ham-System of Minnesota

Supported by PICONET a 13 county southeastern Minnesota Civil Defense Net.
Expanded By MISCCA the Minnesota Society for Crippled Children and Adults.

This program is designed to help handicapped individuals obtain their
amateur radio licenses by providing on loan study materials, antennas,
novice receivers and transmitters and HELP as needed.

HOW IT CAME ABOUT

During the Fall of 1966, in a small town in southern Minnesota, a
handicapped YL announced her intentions of becoming an amateur radio
operator and asked a ham-type handicapped friend how to begin.

He told Ned, W0ZSW, whose job for the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN took him
past the YL's QTH every once in a while. Ned visited her, strung up an
antenna and with his transmitter gave her a first glimpse of hamming.

Soon he found her a spare Civil Defense receiver to listen to and a tape
recorder complete with code lessons and books. In Rochester two other YL?s
started learning radio, via the Rochester Amateur Radio Club?s Novice class
and using receivers borrowed for them.

By the Summer of 1967 there were three new Novice tickets in the area and
the search was on for Novice transmitters to go with them.

Talking with members of the PICONET group not only produced the three needed
transmitters, but also a few spare receivers and transmitters.

AND THE IDEA WAS BORN

In time of emergency, PICONET did need active stations in more small towns.
Why not put this unused equipment to work by placing it with interested
handicapped persons in the area and so create the needed stations?

TICKETS

Cleveland, Minnesota was on the air by the Fall of 1967 in the person of
WN0TFC.

January 1968 saw the three original Novice tickets replaced with Generals
and that winter each of the YL?s did her own ?thing?. One went the traffic
handling route, one the DX route, and the third just chewed holes in rags.
They were WA0SVD, Helen Swanson, WA0QWE, Charlene Mott, WA0RRA, Edna (Eddy)
Thorson.

By the Fall of 1968 there were on the air three Handi-ham Generals, one
Technician, and eight Novices. Working toward their tickets were five
students.

One Advanced, five Generals, one Technician, eight Novices, and seven
students were in the lineup by the Spring of 1969.

THE HANDIHAM SYSTEM

In December of 1967 the Handi-Ham System was formed. A net was designed to
interest, encourage, and assist the growing number of Novices and students.

At 1930 Zulu each Saturday on 3.934 MHZ, a handicapped Ham somewhere in
southern Minnesota assumed the mantle of net control and calls the system to
order.

Regular check-ins include handicapped Hams from Minnesota, Iowa, and South
Dakota, plus a growing group of ?vertical? friends. Novices are checked in
before net time and any problems. Ideas and comments are relayed to net
members.

System business includes phone patches, tape recordings, gossip, and
whatever strikes the system?s collective fancy.

THE HANDIHAM PROGRAM

As more and more handicapped persons received their tickets, the problem
arose of where to get help when something goes wrong. Solutions to the
problem came with the willingness of the Minnesota Section Phone Net to make
known the needs of the handicapped ham to the willing but often unaware hams
in his area. As the list of good deeds increased, a plaque was established
with space for the name and call letters of the ham who had helped.

MONEY PROBLEMS ALSO

As word of the program and its results spread, there were far more persons
wanting receivers than we had to make available. A white elephant sale was
held during summer of 1968 in Rochester. It was successful enough to help
defray equipment repair expenses and purchase study materials as well as a
few receivers. MISCCA had also become interested enough in the possibilities
of our program to support us with close to a thousand dollars worth of
equipment.

WE ORGANIZE

With equipment to keep track of and money to be responsible for, it was soon
necessary to formally organize. A 14 member steering committee was set up to
meet every other week on the air to discuss problems and make suggestions on
general policy. Final decisions were made by a management committee
consisting of six members from the steering committee who met together once
a month. Recent incorporation as a NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION has transformed
the steering committee into a board of directors and the management
committee into officers.

OUR FUTURE

By the Winter of '68 we had spread over most of southern Minnesota and it
appeared that our growth had reached its zenith. With the quantity came
quality; three more of the Novices became Generals: WA0UWT, Sister Alena,
WA0VTZ, Alta Mitchel, and WA0VUA, Scot Suddendorf.

THE GOOD FAIRY ARRIVES

Then in the Spring of 1969 came news of actual affiliation with MISCCA along
with a sizable grant that will help us to set up more new Novice stations,
repair equipment, and aid towards covering the dozens of other expenses.

As a final touch a radio room is being set up at Camp Courage, MISCCA?s camp
for physically handicapped children and adults at Maple Lake, Minnesota. It
will be equipped with a Novice station as well as a General Class station
with the plans currently including a handicapped ham to operate the stations
and help generate interest among the campers all summer.

With the help of MISCCA?s grant and personnel we are confident that our
program can now be expanded to cover the entire State.

WHAT WE HAVE TO OFFER

If you are interested and are handicapped we offer the loan of a simple
receiver to give you the opportunity to ?learn the language? and see what
ham radio is like.

If you wish to go further, we will find you a tape recorder to use and send
code lessons on tape so you can learn that necessary Morse code. We will
also send reading materials if you wish to pass the Novice and later the
General Class written tests.

When you receive your Novice license, an antenna will be put up and you will
be loaned a Novice transmitter.

We will provide the tools, but it will still be up to you to use them.

WHAT WE NEED

We need receivers, transmitters, antennas, relays, keyers - anything used in
a Novice station. Also needed will be SSB rigs for those who?ll not be able
to afford them.

We also need ways to do things with fingers that don?t work so well, arms
that don?t reach, etc.

But most of all we need hams that will climb a tree to put up an antenna or
take an hour to explain some of that mysterious theory or just plain
encourage a newcomer to a complicated world.

And we never refuse money...

HAMS EVERYWHERE WE URGE YOU TO START YOUR OWN HANDI-HAM GROUPS.

Roll call of handicapped hams in Minnesota:

K0AEE, George Sumner,
WA0ATI, Irish Olson,
WA0ATX, Brian Altman,
K0BDD, Al Ward,
WA0CJS, Leon Mahowald,
W0CQA, Henry Tillman,
K0DEF, Dick Johnson,
WA0EPX, Don Nelson,
W0EQO, Ott Miller,
K0EWA, Lowell Yager,
K0GKI, Bob Russ,
WA0IIB, Bill Beuning,
W0IRJ, Jean Heikkila,
W0KLG, Bob Nelson,
WOKYG, Everett Chaney
W0MJJ, Dick Busch,
WA0PZY, Adolph Smith,
K0TDZ, Jim Schleppergrell,
K0TTW, Don Kezer,
W0WCD, Jay Williams,
K0ZWG, Jim Mowery.

HANDI-HAMS 1967 TO SPRING 1969

WA0QWE, Charlene Mott
WA0RRA, Edna (EDDY) Thorson
WA0SVD, Helen Swanson
WN0TFC, Karl Koppelman
WN0TZT, Doug Peterson
WA0UWT, Sister Alena
WN0UWW, Kevin Felstad
WN0VBS, Janet Baily
WN0VTZ, Alta Mitchel
WA0WGR, Woody Anderson
WN0WGX, Ken Gochnauer
WN0WVR, Sister Berard
WN0YAH, Don David Taylor
WN0YFJ, Steve Braverman
Mary Amdahl, Betty Ellingson, Helen Haynes, Sister Jude, Valerie Jordahl,
Leona Kroll, Le Roy Young.

You can write to George care of wa0tda@xxxxxxxx if you want to add to the
Handiham history. Please put Handiham History in the subject line.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx
Handiham Manager

  _____

Avery's QTH: My radical proposal - part 2

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/486> Avery with magnifier

Welcome once again to my humble QTH:

It has been just a few days since last week?s E-letter article came out, and
already I have received a "TON" of replies via email and phone calls. The
majority seem to think that having to wait before up-grading is a good idea
as it gives people a chance to acquire the new skills with actual on the air
practice.

It appears that the "old timers" seem to like the idea. The "newbies" don't,
but then they are the ones who seem to need on-the-air experience the most.

As one person said, he had been listening to a person on the air talking
about his new upgrade to Extra Class that very same day and then admitted he
did not even know what a dipole antenna was. It sort of leaves a person
wondering how they passed the test.

Along this same line I once heard someone asking how to use an autopatch on
one of the local repeaters. He had no idea. When he said he was Extra Class,
I just about fell over. Of course we don't use autopatches much anymore, but
at the time they were on most local repeaters and used almost every day.

At some time in our past the FCC had Class "A", "B", and "C" licenses, and
shortly after they changed to what was the Novice, Technician, General,
Advanced, and Extra. At that time before going to Extra Class a person had
to have been licensed for at least two years before they were even allowed
to take the exam.
I understand that someone took them to court and the result was that the FCC
could not put a two year waiting period on as one of the requirements for
the Extra Class. Now for me, I would have to research that and find out what
all the details were and if that is really the reason.

So, now as you are hearing more of the story again, what do you think about
this subject?

Amateur radio has always been about experimentation and learning. Is it
learning or experimentation to sit down and memorize a bunch of questions
and answers, take a written test, and get on the air?

Think about this: Most states require first a written multiple-choice
driver?s test before a person can get behind the wheel and drive. Then they
have to practice driving with a qualified driver until they get good enough
to pass the driving part of the exam. The same thing is true with aircraft
pilots. First they take a written exam before they get to fly with an
instructor. Then they have to have a certain number of hours before they can
be certified for different things; there are so many hours for visual flight
and a certain number of hours before they can fly on instruments, etc.

So, why should Amateur Radio be any different?

What do you think?
Let's hear from you.

So, until next time
73 es DX from K0HLA Avery

You can reach me Monday & Wednesday until 1:30 PM at:
Avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or:
763-520-0515

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/487%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

·        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/487>  version

·        Send to friend <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/487>

  _____

Handiham History: Handiham World 1979 with Rex Kiser, W0GLU

Handiham History: Handiham World 1979 with Rex Kiser, W0GLU

It was 30 years ago when the Summer, 1979 edition of Handiham World was
printed. This photo shows long-time Handiham volunteer and member Rex Kiser,
W0GLU, at the Handiham headquarters station in Golden Valley. The station
had yet to make the move to its current upstairs location, and this photo
shows the old station on the ground floor. The part of the building that now
houses W0ZSW was yet to be built.

Rex is a silent key now, but he amassed well over 10,000 volunteer hours at
Courage Center. Although he is pictured in the ham shack's operating
position here, Rex spent most of his volunteer time in the repair shop,
where he fixed radios and accessories, adapting them for use by our Handiham
members. Ken Williams, W0JKM, who worked closely with Rex over the years,
retired from the shop shortly after Rex became a silent key.

You can download a PDF copy that does not contain embedded text from the
Handiham website. We hope to have the text read for our blind members.

Here is the download link:
http://www.handiham.org/local/downloads/hhwsum79.pdf

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/490%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

·        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/490>  version

·        Send to friend <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/490>

  _____

Sprint Manager Needed

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/488> Avery, K0HLA, with code key

The FISTS Morse code club is looking for a new Sprint Manager. If you are
interested in this position, you should either already be a FISTS member or
be willing to join. As you will read in the following letter from Nancy,
WZ8C, this is a volunteer position with a serious commitment to bookkeeping
and clerical tasks!

Here's the letter to FISTS members:

Dan, N8IE, is overloaded with family problems and commitments and after
managing the Sprints for over 15 years, needs a break. We appreciate
everything he has done, and I'm sure you all join me in thanking him for the
terrific job he has done over the years!

The Sprint Manager has to be able to accept and check logs both electronic
(Cabrillo, especially) and handwritten, check the scores, and compile the
comments for the "Soapbox" portion of The Keynote. They also have to print
out certificates for the top winners in each category and mail them out.

FISTS will cover the expenses for postage, etc, but there is no pay for the
job, as we are all volunteers.

This would be an ideal opportunity for a club to step forward and take on
the job, that way it doesn't all fall on one person. If you're interested in
being the Sprint Manager (at least until Dan is able and willing to do it
again), drop me a note and we can talk about it. If you have specific
questions, be sure to ask, I want you to know what it is you're taking on.

Good volunteers are hard to find and filling Dan's shoes won't be easy!

Please use my nancy@xxxxxxx email address to contact me.

Thanks,
Nancy WZ8C
nancy@xxxxxxx

You can find out more about FISTS at:
http://www.fists.org/

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/489%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

·        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/489>  version

·        Send to friend <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/489>

  _____

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net happy guy with headset

Please join us and check in or simply listen in, as you see fit:

When:

Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM)
GMT: Thursday morning at 00:30 Z

Where:

145.450 MHz N0BVE repeater (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
Node 89680 (EchoLink worldwide)
IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

Everyone is welcome. You do not need to be a member, and the net is relaxed,
friendly, and informal.

By the way, our Net Manager Howard, KE7KNN, reminds us that we need net
control stations for the Wednesday evening net and for the Monday through
Saturday morning net. If you are in the Twin Cities, all you need is a radio
that can get on the 145.45 N0BVE repeater, and if you live outside the RF
area, you can still be net control via EchoLink, IRLP, or WIRES.

  _____

This week at Headquarters:

·        The Friday audio lectures return this week. The Extra Class topic
will be classes of amplifier operation. Audio will be posted on Friday.

·        Bob Zeida, N1BLF, will have audio of the Handiham World Summer 1979
historical edition on Friday, so watch the audio page. The Friday
notification email will have a link. If you are a member and are not getting
the Friday audio lectures notification, let us know and we will get you on
the list.

·        Pat, WA0TDA, will be in the office Friday for meetings. This may
delay the regular Friday mailing just a bit.

·        Minnesota Radio Camp application forms are online! The sooner we
hear from you, the better -- if you are planning to join us at this summer's
session. One of the summer camps that had been held at Courage North in
previous years has been canceled, which means that people who could not get
into that session may want to apply for the Radio Camp. Incidentally, you
can e-mail us with your ideas for projects and topics at the upcoming
Minnesota Radio Camp session. Thanks for all your ideas so far!

The waterfront at Lake George

Join us this August at Minnesota Radio Camp.

Download the camp application package, which contains information pages and
the forms you need to apply for camp. Camp starts on Sunday, August 16, and
finishes on Sunday, August 23. It's a week of extraordinary fun, during
which you can earn your ham radio license or just get on the air. And it can
cost as little as $240 for the week. There are two choices for formats,
either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF.

*       Download Word Forms <http://handiham.org/manuals/forms/mncamp/word/>

*       Download PDF Forms <http://handiham.org/manuals/forms/mncamp/pdf/>
*       Not sure? <http://www.handiham.org/node/358>   Take a photo tour!

Having trouble downloading or have questions about Radio Camp or Handihams?
Just email Pat, wa0tda@xxxxxxxx, anytime.

·        The Handiham website will be updated daily, usually multiple times
a day as news breaks.

*       In Operating Skills:

*       The July issue of QST digest audio has been completed for our blind
members by Bob, N1BLF, and is posted.
*       Volunteer reader Ken Padgitt, W9MJY, reads the July "Doctor is in"
column from QST for our blind members.
*       Login to the member section of the <http://handiham.org/user>
Handiham website and find the magazine digests in the Library. The QST, CQ,
and Worldradio digests have been read by Bob Zeida, N1BLF.

*       Tape deliveries are in the mail for June. Thanks to George, N0SBU,
and Avery, K0HLA, and to our readers, Ken Padgitt, W9MJY, and Bob Zeida,
N1BLF.  Don't forget to return those mailers so we can send July out as soon
as it's ready.
*       Stay in touch!  Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
us.

Reminder:  Handiham renewals are now on a monthly schedule - Please renew or

*       Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year.
*       Join for three years at $30.
*       Lifetime membership is $100.
*       If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for the
year.
*       Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our
activities.
*       Discontinue your membership.

Your support is critical! Please help.

email: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ask for a free DVD about the Handiham System. It?s perfect for your club
toll-free.

DONATE USED HAM GEAR

1-866-426-3442 toll-free Help us get new hams on the air.

FREE! Get the Handiham E-Letter by email every Wednesday, and stay
up-to-date with ham radio news.

*       You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org
<http://www.handiham.org/> .
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

? Beginner
? General
? Extra
? Operating Skills

  _____

Pat, WA0TDA
Manager, Courage Handi-ham System
Reach me by email at:  <mailto:patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*       Nancy, Handiham Secretary: hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Jerry, N0VOE, Student Coordinator: hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Avery, K0HLA, Educational Coordinator: avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Pat, WA0TDA, Manager, patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Radio Camp email: radiocamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ARRL </p />

fill out the paperwork!

your new address.

·        By wa0tda at 06/17/2009 - 19:39

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/492%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

·        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/492>  version

·        Send to friend <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/492>