[handiham-world] Handiham World for 08 April 2009

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:43:38 -0500

Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 08 April 2009

System <http://handiham.org> . Please do not reply to this message. Use the
contact information at the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This issue is being delivered in plain text, but is available in HTML with
graphics and photos. You can get the HTML version online at the following
link:

Free software tour: A free, easy to use, file recovery utility

Recova screenshotLast week we talked about XMLog. Today we introduce a great
freeware file recovery utility called "Recuva".

I had been looking for a file recovery utility, and when I mentioned it last
week, John, N1IWT, came to the rescue. He writes:

I wanted to mention a rather easy file recovery program I've been playing
with. When I lost all of my data a few months ago, I had to search a
discarded HD. I found a program called Recuva touted by the people who
distribute CCleaner.

The best part is that it's free and it works.

It recovered 1,000 files, some 10 yrs old! One word of warning: Don't allow
it to "recover all" until you are used to it. Just do "manual only",
otherwise it will recover even scraps. But it will tell you before you open
a file whether it is good or bad.

Check it out.

73,
John N1IWT

Thanks, John. I love it when you guys do my research for me! Here is the
overview from the Recuva website:

Recuva (pronounced "recover") is a freeware Windows utility to restore files
that have been accidentally deleted from your computer. This includes files
emptied from the Recycle bin as well as images and other files that have
been deleted by user error from digital camera memory cards or MP3 players.
It will even bring back files that have been deleted by bugs, crashes and
viruses!

You can find Recuva online:
http://www.recuva.com

Next week: I might as well tell you about the other utility John mentioned,
and which I already use, CCleaner. It sort of does the opposite of Recuva,
but more about that next week.

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/418%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

.        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/418>  version

.        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/418>  to friend

  _____

Avery's QTH

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/212> Avery with hands in front of his face

Welcome once again to my humble QTH:

With summer just around the bend, the activities will change from indoor to
outdoor. Dayton Hamvention will be here soon. It is part indoor and part
outdoor. Just about every "name" in Amateur Radio will be there.

Many people will be enjoying vacations, so why not take a ham rig with you
and do some operating? If nothing else, bring along a dual-band HT. They are
small and take up very little space. If you have the car cord, extra
battery, spare antennas, and other small accessories, bring them too. Don't
forget the instruction book! A recent ARRL Repeater Directory might come in
handy too.

If you have a laptop computer set up with Echolink or the W4MQ and SKYPE
software to run the Handiham remote base you may want to bring that too.

Stopping at a rest stop and sitting at a picnic table you might be surprised
what stations you can work. Who knows perhaps another amateur is headed the
same direction and you can car caravan with them. Chatting back and forth
between cars makes the time go faster while driving. It may be a fun thing
to see how many different tourist attractions or rest stops from which you
can make a contact.

With the exception of Field Day, there are not too many contests during the
summer months. Most people would rather be out boating, fishing, playing
golf, or tennis, doing their gardening, etc. Maybe now would be a good time
to check out antennas, replace old ones, and put up new ones. Get all those
outdoor antenna projects finished. May and June might be good six meter
months.

On those really hot days, a person can sit in the shade by the lake with the
water lapping on the shore studying the license manual to either receive a
new license or up-grade to a higher class license. If there happen to be
some rainy days, it is just more study time or time to plan ahead for the
next ham radio activity coming up in the autumn. It's not a very good idea
to be operating in the middle of a thunder storm when there is lightning all
around you.

Although the HF bands are not very active in the summer, they have been
known to open and if you are there listening when they do, you can have a
lot of fun for that short period of time. But that is the key. You have to
be listening and all ready to operate should the HF bands open up. The time
frame is very short so you have to act on it right away.

Even on the canoe trails, where you don't have much room and weight is a
consideration should you have to portage, in the boundary waters of Northern
Minnesota and Southern Canada, people have been known to take along QRP CW
rigs, a lightweight dipole antenna to throw over the trees, and a couple of
6 or 12 volt batteries, with solar cells for charging. After the day of
paddling is over and just before sacking out for the night, some 40 or 20
meter CW contacts can be rather fun and at the same time let the folks back
home know that everyone is okay. Remember, unless you have cell phones that
work off satellite, there are no cell phone towers way out in those
wilderness areas.

So for now,
73 & DX from K0HLA, Avery

You can reach me Monday & Wednesday until 1:30 PM Minneapolis time at:
763-520-0515
or Email me at:
avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/417%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

.        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/417>  version

.        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/417>  to friend

  _____

Vote for SOHO

SOHO in orbitAs amateur radio operators, we like to keep a keen watch on the
sun - not directly, of course, but with the sophisticated
information-gathering technology of the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory
(SOHO). Here is our chance to show support for this technology!

The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) has reached the final round of
NASA's Mission Madness tournament where it is competing against upstart SPB,
the Super Pressure Balloon, for the title "NASA's Greatest Mission." We
endorse SOHO. Since the observatory was launched more than 13 years ago, it
has revolutionized solar physics and the art of space weather
forecasting--and the plucky spacecraft is still going strong. Vote now and
help propel a Spaceweather and handiham favorite to the championship:

http://mission-madness.nasa.gov/

(Story excerpted from http://www.spaceweather.com; image of SOHO from NASA.)

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/416%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

.        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/416>  version

.        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/416>  to friend

  _____

T-Mobile Phone is blind-friendly, thanks to Google Android

Phil, K9HI, found this great article on geek.com:
Google Android perfects touchscreen dialing for the blind

Check out the entire story at:

http://tinyurl.com/dfjgnj

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/403%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

.        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/403>  version

.        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/403>  to friend

  _____

DAISY Consortium Releases Open Source Multimedia Authoring Tool

Daisy.org; Obi open source audio recording tool enables a broader audience
to produce accessible, navigable information for people with print
disabilities

Zurich, Switzerland, March 27, 2009 - The DAISY Consortium announces the
release of Obi 1.0, a free, open source audio recording tool for the
production of audio books which provide meaningful navigation. The output is
fully conformant to the DAISY Standard (officially, the ANSI/NISO Z39.86
Specifications for the Digital Talking Book). Obi enables individual users
with a minimal amount of training to produce digital content that is
accessible to people with print disabilities such as blindness, dyslexia, or
cognitive disabilities. Obi is released under the LGPL license and is
available for download at http://daisy-trac.cvsdude.com/obi/wiki/downloads.

Read more:
http://daisy.org/news/attachments/Obi_Release.html

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/401%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

.        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/401>  version

.        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/401>  to friend

  _____

Tech team support needed

At the Stillwater Amateur Radio Association meeting in September, 2007,
Lyle, K0LR, talked about software defined radio, then brought WD9DNQ up to
demonstrate command & control, in what was then a rudimentary system. We are
looking for tech team support to help get WD9DNQ on the air with a newer,
better developed system that Lyle has been working on with Steve, WB5KIA.
Meet at the Stillwater Public Library on April 9, 2009 in the study space
outside the meeting rooms at 6:30 PM. We will have the entire IC-706 station
ready to demonstrate.

Contact Pat, <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>  wa0tda@xxxxxxxx, to RSVP.

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=224+third+street+n+stillwa
ter+mn+55082&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.244827,78.75&ie=UTF8&s=AARTsJqbZ
07oNqtuK3Efa0B2edylX5G4rQ&view=map&ll=45.066065,-92.805204&spn=0.008594,0.02
1737&z=14&iwloc=addr&iwstate1=sscorrectthiscard&source=embed> View Map

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/400%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

.        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/400>  version

.        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/400>  to friend

  _____

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net happy guy with headset

Tonight you will have an opportunity to meet your friends on the Handiham
net. Please join us and check in or simply listen in, as you see fit:

When:

Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM)
GMT: Thursday morning at 00:30 Z

Where:

145.450 MHz N0BVE repeater (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
Node 89680 (EchoLink worldwide)

By the way, our Net Manager Howard, KE7KNN, reminds us that we need net
control stations for the Wednesday evening net and for the Monday through
Saturday morning net. If you are in the Twin Cities, all you need is a radio
that can get on the 145.45 N0BVE repeater, and if you live outside the RF
area, you can still be net control via EchoLink, IRLP, or WIRES.

  _____

This week at Headquarters:

.        Website upgrades underway: We are in the process of making some
upgrades to the handiham website. The Drupal core that runs the website was
updated last weekend with help from Phil, K9HI. We are adding new features,
and there will soon be a "Volunteers" section that will allow our volunteers
to participate in some easy online training that is now required by Courage
Center. No website outages are expected during this upgrade. Thanks to Phil
for all his help!

.        CJ, K0CJ, is back from his snowbird QTH in South Texas and
volunteering in the Handiham shop on Mondays. CJ found this great link to an
old RCA video that tells about manufacturing vacuum tubes in the 1940's:
<http://tinyurl.com/cjx2wl>
http://tinyurl.com/cjx2wl

.        Minnesota Radio Camp application forms are online! The sooner we
hear from you, the better -- if you are planning to join us at this summer's
session. One of the summer camps that had been held at Courage North in
previous years has been canceled, which means that people who could not get
into that session may want to apply for the Radio Camp. Incidentally, you
can e-mail us with your ideas for projects and topics at the upcoming
Minnesota Radio Camp session.

The waterfront at Lake George

Join us this August at Minnesota Radio Camp!

Download the camp application package, which contains information pages and
the forms you need to apply for camp. Camp starts on Sunday, August 16, and
finishes on Sunday, August 23. It's a week of extraordinary fun, during
which you can earn your ham radio license or just get on the air. And it can
cost as little as $240 for the week. There are two choices for formats,
either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF.

*       Download Word Forms <http://handiham.org/manuals/forms/mncamp/word/>

*       Download PDF Forms <http://handiham.org/manuals/forms/mncamp/pdf/>
*       Not <http://www.handiham.org/node/358>  sure?  Take a photo tour!

Having trouble downloading or have questions about Radio Camp or Handihams?
Just email Pat, wa0tda@xxxxxxxx, anytime.

*       Change in hours this week: we will be short-staffed on Thursday,
April 9. The office will be closed starting noon, April 9 until Monday
morning, April 13. ARRL informs us that their office will be closed on
Friday, April 10.
*       New in Operating Skills:

*       It is hard to believe how time flies, but the May, 2009 issue of QST
magazine is already out in print. We look forward to producing the audio
digest for our blind members soon. Meanwhile, the April QST , CQ, QCWA
Journal, and Worldradio digest audio is online for our blind members.
*       Volunteer reader Ken Padgitt, W9MJY, reads the April "Doctor is in"
column from QST for our blind members.
*       Login to the <http://handiham.org/user>  member section of the
Handiham website and find the magazine digests in the Library. The QST, CQ,
and Worldradio digests have been read by Bob Zeida, N1BLF.

*       Stay in touch!  Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or

email: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*       You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

Reach me by email at:  <mailto:patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>