[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 29 May 2013

  • From: Patrick Tice <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:53:09 -0500

*Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday,
29 May 2013*

Handiham System <http://handiham.org/>. Our contact information is at the
end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in
subscriptions or to comment. You can listen to this news online.

http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham <http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham>
------------------------------
*Welcome to Handiham World.*This is the last edition of the "Courage Center
*Handiham World Weekly E-Letter" - but don't worry, we are not going away. *

*[image: Black & white photo of Pat Tice, WA0TDA, in the Handiham shack in
1991.]
Image: Pat, WA0TDA, in 1991 when he first joined Courage Center staff as
Handiham manager.   This was scanned from an old black and white photo!
Yes, that is an old ASCII computer terminal in the background. *

Yes, we all know things change. It is obvious if you can see all of the
dark hair I have on my head in that photo! Things have changed a lot over
the years, but one thing that has not changed is the organization I worked
for: Courage Center.  Now that is about to change, and we are excited
about  new opportunities a merger with Allina Sister Kenny Rehabilitation
Institute, another non-profit organization dedicated to serving people with
disabilities, will bring to our Handiham members.  You need not be alarmed
about our headline, because there will be an e-letter next week.  It will
have a new title as we transition over into the new world of a merged
Courage Center and Allina Sister Kenny Rehabilitation Institute. You will
notice some new things over the coming months, such as a new brand identity
for our parent organization.  We are still the Handiham System, though. Our
services are still concentrated on promoting amateur radio and amateur
radio education.  Nancy and I will still be running the program, and our
weekly services will continue as you might expect.

At least for now (during this busy transition period) Nancy and I will be
very busy with other activities related to this change in our parent
organization.  That means it will be necessary to make some changes in our
Extra Class audio lecture schedule, placing it on the back burner for a
while.  We will try to keep up with everything else, but don't be concerned
if things are sometimes delayed just a bit.  I am hoping to get the DAISY
digest out in cartridge format later this week, and the DAISY downloads are
ready right now, so we are on schedule with those.  My goal is to always
get the upcoming month's digest out by the end of the preceding month, so
that means that our blind members can enjoy the June audio for at least two
of the journals.

Now, why is this labeled the last edition?

It's because our name will no longer be "Courage Center Handiham System" as
of June 1, 2013.  Next week we will have a new name, so stay tuned for that
exciting news!  I will be working for a different non-profit organization
and will have a different job title. How can you not tune in now that we
have piqued your curiosity?

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham Manager (for now)
------------------------------
When Mother Nature sneaks up on you, bad things can happen.

[image: 75 ohm coaxial cable buried in ground but brought up and stretched
by growing tree root.]
*Image:  This buried 75-ohm TV cable carries our internet and TV service.
It was buried just a few inches beneath the surface of the lawn, traveling
from the junction box in the front yard to the foundation of the garage,
where it emerged and made its way up to a hole in the wall and a junction
box inside the garage, where it interfaces with our cable distribution
system.  You can see from the photo that the cable has been pushed up into
view at the surface by a growing tree root.  If you look closely, you can
see how the tree root is putting so much upward pressure on the cable that
it is beginning to stretch and deform it, a sure sign that it will short
out if nothing is done. *

We always hear about the destructive wrath of Mother Nature when big
storms, floods, earthquakes, or plagues of locusts bear down on some
unfortunate part of our planet. But Mother Nature can be sneaky, too.
Sometimes the damage can be so tiny - and happen over such a long period of
time - that we don't even notice it.  That was the case when my wife Susie
called my attention to the TV cable feed that had poked up through the sod
and was obviously not going to stay intact much longer.  The Linden
(Basswood) tree between the cable interface near the boulevard and the
garage (where the cable entered the house) had grown considerably over the
years since the cable was first buried by the Comcast installer, and a root
had grown under the cable and had pushed it up to the surface, putting
severe stress on the wire and compressing the outer jacket and internal
dielectric.  It would clearly fail soon - and I hadn't even noticed it
happening!   Unlike a catastrophic storm, lightning strike, or the time the
lawn sprinkler company cut through the cable, this attack was sneaky and
incremental, happening over many years. Had the internet gone out, I would
have had no idea what happened and certainly wouldn't have thought of a
tree root as the culprit.

[image: View of cable stretched over root after surrounding soil was
partially removed.]
*Image: The cable is stretched over the offending root after surrounding
soil was partially removed.  It is clear that the cable is stretched almost
to the point where it will short the center conductor to the shield. *

The fix?  That took a bit of planning.  First, I dug out the turf and soil
surrounding the root, and I had to be pretty careful so as to avoid nicking
the cable.  After that, I chose a battery-operated portable drill and the
largest bit it would accept to drill multiple holes through the root
underneath the cable.  I was able to use a sharp prying tool to further
remove soil and to widen the holes I had drilled.  Eventually I was able to
remove an entire section of the root, allowing the cable to be tucked back
down under the turf.  The root was now cut entirely through so as to avoid
regrowth.  The final step was to add new soil and grass seed over the top,
making sure that the cable was nested underground and well out of the way
of the lawn mower blade.

What did I learn from this encounter with Mother Nature?  I guess the most
useful lesson is that every system needs inspection and regular
maintenance, so one cannot assume that buried cables are "out of sight, out
of mind".  This goes for antenna coax, rotor cables, and every other
connecting system related to our stations. Water seals that have been good
for years can fail gradually and one day the cable is waterlogged.
Critters sometimes take a fancy to the taste of wiring.  Corrosion can
gradually eat away at hardware and supports. Spiders can build nests in
antenna traps. Wind can flex aluminum antenna elements so many times over
the years that hairline cracks can develop.  All of these things are slow
and incremental, creeping up on us so slowly that we are shocked when
something actually fails suddenly after giving no hint of any kind of
problem for years!

That is why we do regular inspections, especially of our outside systems
like antennas and feedlines.  Summer is approaching, and that should give
us a good shot at identifying potential problems while the weather is good
and repairs are more easily completed.

Better safe than sorry, right?  Do an antenna inspection this summer.
------------------------------
Bulletin Board

[image: cartoon robot with pencil]
May I use the remote base stations to operate on ARRL Field Day?

   - That was a question from a remote base user, and the answer is yes -
   but there are a few qualifications.  You have to review and follow the
   Field Day rules. The rules are available on the ARRL website in
   accessible
PDF<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Field-Day/2013/2013%20Rules.pdf>
   .
   - Another consideration is that you will need to identify your location
   as "Minnesota" since both W0ZSW and W0EQO are located there, no matter
   where you are operating from as control operator.
   - You will need to identify using both your callsign and the callsign of
   the remote base station, as usual.
   - Field Day is the fourth full weekend in June, which makes it June
   22-23, 2013.
   - The remote base stations are a shared resource, so remember that
   others may want to get on as well.
   - If you just want to listen to the Field Day action, you can use the
   Echolink application to listen to either remote base station. You will find
   details on Echolink operation at:
   http://handiham.org/remotebase/

Power outage?  I'm a little more ready this week, but there's still more to
do.

Last week I mentioned that I'd experienced a power outage.  In the
meantime, I have replaced a bad battery in an uninterruptible power supply,
so now my ham shack won't go completely dark in an outage and my computers
can be shut down carefully should an outage occur.  But there was one
fail:  I couldn't get my gasoline generator started, so that will need some