[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 29 December 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:11:08 -0600

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen to this news online:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Description: Subscribe in
iTunes

Photo:  Snow is piled up on the WA0TDA Butternut vertical.  Welcome to
another new year.

Can you believe it? It's the last week of 2010, and we are tying the ribbons
on another year here at Handiham headquarters. I can't help but notice on
the television, radio, and other media that a popular activity this time of
year is the retrospective. Everyone seems to want to set out their own list
of significant events that happened over the past year. Why should we be any
different? At the end of the year it probably makes sense to take stock of
what has happened, both good and bad, and where we think we might need to go
from here.

Let's get the bad out of the way first so that we don't have to worry about
it anymore. From our perspective, 2010 wasn't exactly an easy year to get
through. The lingering effects of the Great Recession were still very
evident in the world of non-profits. We had to deal with budget cutbacks and
staff cuts. The economists say that we are no longer in a recession, but
some of the everyday conversations I have had throughout the past year in
places ranging from the barbershop to the city park while walking the dog
say otherwise. The nice lady who cuts my hair at the barbershop was also
cutting back on Christmas gifts for her kids. Her husband had been laid off
for some time now. A fellow dog walker mentioned the involuntary furlough
from his work. Nonetheless, we still hold out hope that people will come
through for us and support the Handiham program, and we certainly hope that
the economists have their heads on straight and that they are right about
everything getting better.

We consolidated our office move from Golden Valley out to Camp Courage at
Maple Lake, Minnesota during 2010. Our office space is roomy and convenient
for operation of the new remote base equipment available to our members via
the Internet. 2010 also saw the move of Minnesota Radio Camp from Camp
Courage North to our new headquarters at Camp Courage in Maple Lake. We all
appreciated the new state-of-the-art cabin space, though we encountered some
noise problems on the HF stations from florescent lighting fixtures. Holding
the camp in the month of May didn't work out quite as well as we planned,
with somewhat windy weather limiting our time available to operate maritime
mobile from the pontoon boat. The volunteers of the Stillwater Amateur Radio
Association stepped up to the plate and really helped get the stations set
up and operate the VE session. All told, I would have to rate the office
move as much more difficult than the radio camp move, but both worked out
quite well in the end. Our phone numbers and mailing address remained the
same as before, which made things easier.

2010 saw the addition of the second remote base station, W0ZSW, which we
located at our new headquarters. The existing remote base at Courage North,
W0EQO, remained in operation and will continue to do so. Since the stations
are hundreds of miles apart, they can be operated at the same time with no
worries about interference with each other. Station reliability has been
good over the past year with minimal downtime. Our users have been
resourceful and have enjoyed the stations with very few requests for
technical support.

Another resource added to our Camp Courage infrastructure was the W0EQO 2 m
repeater, thanks to a loan of the equipment from Don, N0BVE, and
installation and oversight assistance from other folks, including Matt,
KA0PQW. This repeater has been in operation serving the Maple Lake area
since last May. We are on track to get a new frequency pair and do some
necessary upgrades.

2010 saw increased participation in our online audio lectures and a drop in
cassette tape production. This is expected as Handiham members make the
transition to web-based and digital audio. We made a few new Daisy book
projects and we are trying to figure out how successful these were and where
we will go with them in 2011. Ken, KB3LLA, helped us out quite a bit when we
had Daisy questions. Our volunteers who read for us monthly, Ken Padgitt,
W9MJY, and Bob Zeida, N1BLF, continued their efforts in support of making
current amateur radio publications accessible to our blind members, enabling
us to have material in a much more timely manner then it would be available
from other sources.

Band conditions improved somewhat in 2010, but so far this new solar cycle
has been lagging and HF band conditions along with it. Fortunately, the
Handiham EchoLink net stayed healthy and enjoyed good participation
throughout the year. Regular net control assignments were developed during
2010, and that extra organization really helped keep the net on track. Our
net control volunteers did a wonderful job, though, as some have noted,
there have been a few bumps in the road considering that some of our net
participants are relatively new to amateur radio and EchoLink. Overall, I
would judge the net to be a wonderful success over the past year and I am
thankful that we have it available as HF band conditions continued to be
marginal. The addition of the *HANDIHAM* high capacity conference server
hosted by Mike, N0VZC, was a huge help in keeping the Handiham EchoLink net
organized.

I would have to say that 2010 struck me as the year that Chinese handheld
radios started coming into their own. Several models include self-voicing
features that blind users will find helpful. One game-changer in this radio
market is the low cost of even dual-band handheld radios coming from China.
We will be watching this trend with a great deal of interest, especially the
availability of self-voicing accessibility features. 2010 was the first year
ever that a self-voicing Chinese handheld radio was demonstrated at Handiham
Radio Camp, thanks to Larry, KA0LSG.

When I installed a new ICOM IC-7200 transceiver here in my own ham shack
early this year, I was pleased to note that it came with a speech function
already in the circuitry, which meant that there was no extra speech chip
for blind users to purchase. Another trend in the new radios is the USB
connector at the back to provide for rig control and porting of audio
between the transceiver and the computer. This will make remote base control
easier than ever. It also has the potential to allow users with disabilities
to control more radio functions more easily via computer software.

ARRL put its excellent new website online during 2010. Overall, the
availability of more amateur radio resources via the Internet was a positive
trend because people with disabilities often use computers to gain access to
information. We continued to keep the Handiham website updated and
accessible as well, and continue to work toward simplicity of use and solid
functionality so that our Handiham members will be able to make the most of
everything that we put online. As far as I can recall, we had only one short
web outage during 2010, which meant that the website was pretty reliable.

Overall I would have to describe 2010 as a year in which the Handiham system
made significant strides toward serving members in new and better ways while
continuing to hold fast to our values of helping people with disabilities to
earn their amateur radio licenses and be part of a vibrant amateur radio
community. Those things have always been at the core of what we do, and we
have all pulled together to make the past year a success, even with not so
good HF band conditions and the less than ideal economic situation. I guess
I would have to say that I am pretty satisfied with where we are at the
moment, and I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for 2011 to be a year
full of good DX, lots of activity on the ham radio nets, and - as always -
fun and friendship combined with learning and public service here in our
Handiham community.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham System Manager <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>

Predictions for the New Year

So where do you think the new year of 2011 will lead us in amateur radio?
Will there be any stunning new technology introduced at Dayton HAMVENTIONR
in May? Will the sun burst to life with impressive sunspot numbers,
resulting in fantastic DX conditions? Will any new assistive technology leap
to the forefront as the "must-have" new gadget of the year?

I'm going to stick my neck out and share my prognostications for 2011. They
may be flat-out wrong, but the weatherman is wrong lots of the time too, and
he still has his job.

*       Chinese handheld radios and newly-introduced mobile VHF/UHF radios
will continue to create interest in the amateur radio market worldwide. The
low prices for these units may produce some downward price pressure in the
overall amateur radio equipment market. Whether this will ultimately mean
lower prices for consumers in the short term with fewer choices later on, it
is hard to say. Quality will remain somewhat less impressive in these
Chinese radios compared to that of the Japanese manufacturers, at least in
this coming year.
*       The sunspot cycle will produce higher numbers, but still be sub-par
compared to previous cycles when we enjoyed great HF band conditions. Still,
it will be more fun to get on HF and work DX, and it will be easier to do so
in 2011 than it was several years ago thanks to improving solar conditions.
Bottom line: Now is the time to upgrade to General.
*       This is an easy prediction because it happens every time there's a
change in the question pool. People will suddenly discover that they have
been dragging their feet a little bit too long in studying for their General
Class licenses and that they will be required to test from a completely new
General Class question pool starting on July 1. I don't know why this always
seems to be a surprise, but I guess people just have a hard time remembering
that the question pools are changed on a rotating basis. 2011 is the year
for the new General Class. Just as predictable is the likelihood of a higher
demand for VE sessions in late June. If you find yourself in this
predicament, study now and test as early as possible.
*       Remote base operation of HF stations will come back into the amateur
radio consciousness as more and more equipment becomes available with easy
computer connectivity, such as USB ports that can send and receive both rig
control data and digital audio between the radio and the computer. This
development will make it easier for people to consider setting up their own
remote base stations. Meanwhile, EchoLink will remain a very strong
contender, getting quite a bit of use around the world every day. These
technological developments will continue to dovetail nicely with the goals
and capabilities of an aging population of baby boomers looking toward
retirement housing but not wanting to deal with huge antenna systems.
*       2011 just could be the year when the online-only magazine Worldradio
really shines as a leader in the amateur radio publishing business. As
everyone knows, publishing houses are caught in a tug-of-war between print
and digital. People with disabilities have a stake in digital, because it
has the potential to provide much more timely accessibility to more material
than print publications ever could. It may be just a little too early to
predict the availability of all amateur radio publications online, but I
think the unmistakable trend in the publishing business is to at least
augment print material with similar if not exact duplicates available online
with either an advertising-based business model or a pay-for business model
or some combination of the two. This will be interesting to watch. In 2010
the ARRL made its Technician, General, and Extra Q&A books available through
Amazon's Kindle reader. All of these ARRL publications have the
text-to-speech Kindle option enabled, a great convenience for blind and low
vision users. I will say for sure that I think 2011 will see more and more
digital publications in the amateur radio realm.
*       Repeater systems without Internet connectivity such as EchoLink,
WIRES, or IRLP will continue to be underutilized during 2011. In 2010, some
of these repeater systems barely had any activity at all. Other digital
repeater systems will probably hold their own, but remain regional in nature
and not reach most of the amateur radio users.
*       Amateur radio operators may get a real public service workout this
Spring as huge amounts of snowfall and heavy precipitation in March bring
regional flooding here in the Midwest and in other parts of the country.
There is already a great deal of snow on the ground in the upper Midwest and
Spring flooding is a near-certainty.

And my last big prediction:

*       We will be ready to deliver an exciting new year of Handiham
services beginning on Monday, 3 January 2011.

  _____

FCC acts on Net Neutrality

Action Helps Ensure Robust Internet for Consumers, Innovation, Investment,
Economic Prosperity

Washington, D.C. - On December 21 the Federal Communications Commission
acted to preserve the Internet as an open network enabling consumer choice,
freedom of expression, user control, competition and the freedom to
innovate.

Chairman Genachowski voted for the Order; Commissioner Copps concurred and
Commissioner Clyburn approved in part and concurred in part. Commissioners
McDowell and Baker dissented.

In 2009, the FCC launched a public process to determine whether and what
actions might be necessary to preserve the characteristics that have allowed
the Internet to grow into an indispensable platform supporting our nation's
economy and civic life, and to foster continued investment in the physical
networks that enable the Internet.

This process has made clear that the Internet has thrived because of its
freedom and openness -- the absence of any gatekeeper blocking lawful uses
of the network or picking winners and losers online. Consumers and
innovators do not have to seek permission before they use the Internet to
launch new technologies, start businesses, connect with friends, or share
their views.

The Internet is a level playing field. Consumers can make their own choices
about what applications and services to use and are free to decide what
content they want to access, create, or share with others. This openness
promotes competition. It also enables a self-reinforcing cycle of investment
and innovation in which new uses of the network lead to increased adoption
of broadband, which drives investment and improvements in the network
itself, which in turn lead to further innovative uses of the network and
further investment in content, applications, services, and devices. A core
goal of this Order is to foster and accelerate this cycle of investment and
innovation. (FCC)

Read more on the Handiham website:  <http://www.handiham.org/node/1002>

Daryl, AE5WX,writes about the EchoLink net:

While I've heard the Net Controls announce that "if you double up, we'll be
around until the end of the net to get everybody", it seems that at times
there also seems to be a "mad rush" to be the first ones to check in. I've
gotten to where on my nets after the Emergency and Priority Traffic, and the
announcements are covered, I then ask for "mobile, portable, and short of
time check-ins", before opening it up to everybody. It's not the end of the
world if a station doesn't get to check in first, or if they miss a net, but
so many hams seem to forget that "patience is a virtue". If I am just
checking into a net, and not actually running it, I wait until the net is
almost over to turn on the rig or computer, and avoid the "mad rush". But by
then I may have missed important traffic passed earlier on the net. The
bottom line is that stations need to be more careful when connecting to the
net, to follow the instructions of Net Control, and be sure to properly
disconnect with they are finished.

Ken, KB3LLA, sent this link to an interesting online short story:

http://hermiene.net/short-stories/haunted_space_suit.html

John, NU6P, was kind enough to write me back about the availability of the
ARRL Technician License Manual 2nd Edition at Bookshare.org:

The license manual is available in DAISY text, and as a grade II Braille
file. I am not sure how much mark up it contains, but it should be very
searchable.

Pierre, K9EYE, liked this link to an old army Morse Code training film on
YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-petiNdCIY

  _____

Connecting with EchoLink

In today's edition of this Connecting with EchoLink segment, I would like to
point out the need for some volunteers to host semi-private EchoLink proxies
for the use of Handiham members who simply cannot gain access to the routers
where they live in order to forward ports so that EchoLink will work
properly on their computers. This is a problem I have run into from time to
time while trying to assist Handiham members as they get started with
EchoLink. Remember, not everyone has the option to access the router that
serves up their Internet connectivity. Some Handiham members live in
assisted living homes or other situations where gaining access to the
administrative settings in a home router is simply not possible. These
Handiham members then have to depend on finding a public EchoLink proxy, and
if you have ever tried to do that yourself, you know that sometimes a proxy
is available and sometimes it is not. Most often you have to go through the
entire process of finding a new proxy every time you open the EchoLink
application. People with disabilities may find this quite a challenging task
as they use assistive technology to run their computers. It is usually much
harder for them than it is for someone who can see the screen and use the
computer mouse.

To help solve this problem I would like to propose that some of us with the
means to do so set up semi-private EchoLink proxies for the use of small
numbers of Handiham members who find themselves in the situation of not
being able to use EchoLink because of their router situation. With perhaps
only two or three potential users per proxy, we could help get more Handiham
members on EchoLink.

Believe me, if you have ever tried to help someone with an EchoLink firewall
problem over the phone, you will understand that this is a good idea. There
is information on the EchoLink website about setting up a proxy. Take a look
at the EchoLink proxy support information and perhaps you might decide to
give it a try. If you can help with this project, drop me a line at
wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

Today's dip into the question pool takes us to the Extra Class question
pool:

Question E6A12 asks: Why do many MOSFET devices have built-in
gate-protective Zener diodes?

Your possible answers are:

A. To provide a voltage reference for the correct amount of reverse-bias
gate voltage
B. To protect the substrate from excessive voltages
C. To keep the gate voltage within specifications and prevent the device
from overheating
D. To reduce the chance of the gate insulation being punctured by static
discharges or excessive voltages

Darn, this one is kind of hard, because several answers seem pretty
plausible. We have to remember to look at the question itself for clues to
the answer whenever we take a multiple-choice test. In this case, the phrase
"gate-protective" gives us a clue.  The correct answer is D: To reduce the
chance of the gate insulation being punctured by static discharges or
excessive voltages, and the reason is that MOSFET devices are very sensitive
to static discharges and the gate insulation can be broken down by the
relatively high voltage of a static discharge, even though the current is
very small. The Zener diode shunts the discharge away, saving the gate.

  _____

Remote base progress report: 29 December 2010

Both stations are functional. Report problems to wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

Would you like to try the station right now?

If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to listen to the
radio, you can search for W0ZSW-L, node 524906, and connect. Entering a
frequency and pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's
receive frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper
sideband, Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is that
EchoLink control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only
available if there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base
software.

Don't forget about our station at Courage North, in far northern Minnesota's
lake country. If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to
listen to the radio, you can search for W0EQO-L, node 261171, and connect.
Just as with the other station, entering a frequency and pressing the enter
key will allow you to change the radio's receive frequency from the EchoLink
text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper sideband, Lower sideband, or AM,
respectively. One thing to remember is that EchoLink control only works on
receive, not transmit, and it is only available if there is no control
operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base software.

  _____

On the air

Don't forget about ARRL Straight Key Night on New Year's Eve!
http://www.arrl.org/straight-key-night

*       The Handiham office will be closed on Friday, December 31.  Next
week we are open to tackle a new year beginning on Monday 3 January 2011.
*       Handiham nets continue as scheduled during the holidays.  If there
is no net control, enjoy an informal roundtable session.  Don't drop your
radio into the eggnog.
*       Worldradio digest audio for January 2011 has been completed by Bob
Zeida, N1BLF, and is available to our blind members.
*       QST digest audio for January 2011 has been completed by Pat Tice and
Ken Padgitt, and is available to our blind members.
*       Don't put it off!  General Class students had better study faster.
The NCVEC Question Pool Committee has completed the new General Class pool,
which will be effective on 1 July 2011.  We have heard that the pool
questions are more difficult, and there are more total questions in the new
pool.  Our advice to those of you who have been dragging your feet about
getting your General Class upgrade is to get busy right now and pass that
General!  If you wait too long, you will have to go through the new pool and
take a harder exam.
*       A big thank you to our net control stations  for "saying yes" and
volunteering for this leadership role. We really appreciate your help and
everyone has noticed that the nets are running more smoothly than ever.
*       Thanks to George, N0SBU, for getting the digest audio sent out again
and throughout the entire past year!  I think his dog PJ helped him out in
the mailroom.

.         Tonight is net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at
19:30 United States Central time, which translates to +6 hours, or 01:30 GMT
Thursday morning.

EchoLink nodes:

HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

*       We need an Echolink, IRLP, or WIRES node in Rochester, MN so that
Sister Alverna, WA0SGJ, can continue to check into the Handiham net. Chris,
KG0BP, has shut down his node because he has moved to the Twin Cities.
*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or

Supporting Handihams - Year-end is a critical time.

standing figure

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org