[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 28 July 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:45:50 -0500

System. Please do not reply to this message. Use the contact information at
the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Subscribe in iTunes

KA0LSG holds Wouxun HT

Update: Larry Huggins, KA0LSG, Handiham Volunteer, holds the Wouxun HT on
cover of Worldradio

Last week's mention of the Wouxun talking dual band handheld radio created
quite a stir, so we are devoting some time to a follow up. I heard from a
number of our readers and listeners who said that the PDF online version of
the "With the Handihams" article was difficult to read because of the PDF
layout. Although the magazine has done a great job making the layout easy to
follow for sighted readers, I have heard that there is a need for a more
straightforward text version for our blind readers and listeners. I have
placed the text of the article on the Handiham website, as well as a link to
an audio version of the article read by Bob Zeida, N1BLF, who reads for us
and for The Talking Information Center of the Massachusetts Reading network.
Since we didn't specify retailers, we also provide you a link to some
sources.

Those of you who listen to this podcast will hear Bob reading "With the
Handihams".

Before we get to those resource links, there is word that Wouxun is
interested in developing a talking dual-band base/mobile rig. I read about
this on a discussion thread on the Blind-Hams mailing list.  At this point,
they are interesting in learning what accessibility features are most
needed, so this may be a rare opportunity for anyone who wants to have a say
in the early design of a radio to get their voice heard. To comment on this,
you may email Ed at Wouxun: sales@xxxxxxxxxx That is also the address to
request a price list and ordering information. The Wouxun.us website states
"Due to having minor surgery, I will not be shipping orders between July 26
- Aug 7. During this time I will answer emails and take orders." With this
in mind, I would guess that you may need a bit of patience in communicating
with Ed, especially if you have questions.  I would urge our readers and
listeners to keep the questions simple and don't ask a bazillion of them. In
fact, the website is easily navigated and you can find the answers to your
question there. The pricing is under $110 + shipping, and a variety of
accessories are available.  Remember that you can get this radio in a dual
band version that includes 2 meters and either 70 cm (440 MHz) or 1.25 m
(222 MHz.)  The pricing is the same for either combination.

Resources:

Wouxun website:   <http://www.wouxun.us>
http://wouxun.us

User guide pages (online manuals):  <http://wouxun.us/Manuals/>
http://wouxun.us/Manuals/

Plain text manual for the Wouxun - Wouxun KG-UVD1P Tips And Hints For
Eyes-Free Operation by Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV:
<http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/wouxun_kguvd1p_manual_by_kb5elv
.txt>
http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/wouxun_kguvd1p_manual_by_kb5elv.
txt

Read the plain text version of the With the Handihams article on the
Handiham website:
<http://handiham.org/local/downloads/accessibility_roundup_2010.txt>
http://handiham.org/local/downloads/accessibility_roundup_2010.txt

Read the PDF version of With the Handihams on the Worldradio website:
<http://www.worldradiomagazine.com>
http://www.worldradiomagazine.com

Blind Hams Mailing List:
http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=BLIND-HAMS
<http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=BLIND-HAMS&H=LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG>
&H=LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Our thanks to CQ Publications and the Blind Hams Mailing List for helping us
get the word out about accessible technology.

Feedback

cartoon dog barking at postal carrier

Last week we had a request for someone to tell the Saturday Night Tech Net
in Dallas, Texas  about the Handihams. Volunteer Linda Reeder, N7HVF,
stepped up to the plate to join the net and help out.  Here is the response
from the net control station, KE5ZCM:

This is Katherine, ke5zcm, writing. Thank you more than words can possibly
express.

It was my hope that you would show up -- and not everyone shows up. It was
my hope you could describe your own radio experience and the availability of
radio equipment that would make amateur radio accessible to people who'd
love to participate but aren't sure if they can. You more than delivered
with your words of experience, encouragement, and hope. I say "hope" because
your enthusiasm and can-do attitude spoke volumes.

As I listened to you, I thought: wow, there is a way even when it seems
something might not be possible. If you're determined enough, there is a
way. I loved your stories about the engineers and others who helped you.
Those are great stories and they go to the heart of what I love about ham
radio, which is that there are people out there who are willing to teach me,
too!

A minimum of three hams with visual impairments have checked in to our
Saturday night Tech Net. Because we are in the vicinity of a VA Hospital,
and our area probably has thousands of assisted living and nursing home
apartments, there is no telling what the actual need might be here.

I worry about hams who have other impairments and are home bound. I think
about veterans of earlier wars and current wars who may be shipped home and
never walk again. And so I think about how invaluable ham radio is as a way
for people to reach out to a vibrant community, even if they can't easily
leave their homes.

Your talk tonight opened the door to possibilities for people who 1) now
know that there is an organization that can help, which would be Handiham,
and 2) have heard from another human being who found a practical way to make
things work.

I've gotten two emails already tonight about what a wonderful net this was.
One was from the President of the Dallas Amateur Radio Club who was
listening though he did not check in. Another was from a man who has never
checked in as far as I know but is one of those who listens. He wrote that
this was a great service to the ham community. I hope you will pass this on
to Nancy and Pat Tice. In fact, now that I've written this far, I'll go look
for their email address and send them a cc of this email.

Thank you, Linda, for your invaluable time and your kindness in sharing with
us. Drop by any time! Just to say hello, or if you find new information that
you think other visually impaired hams would be interested in, or just to
practice using Echolink (which I have not yet been on). I'd love to hear
your voice anytime!

73,

Katherine - ke5zcm

George, N0SBU, writes about the annual Magic Repeater Yard Sale:

I know some of you could not make the yard sale this year. I have posted the
pictures for this year's event. Just click on the 2010 link. Have a good
one, and we hope to see you next year. Same time same QTH. See you at the
sale on 7/23/2011:

http://www.magicrepeater.net/fest.htm

Outdoor tables filled with sale items, electronics, test gear.
Photo: Here you see several outdoor tables covered by a tent-tarp in case of
rain. There are plenty of cardboard boxes filled to the brim with stuff and
more stuff, all on the ground in front of the tables. If you can't see going
to all the trouble to organize a huge hamfest, why not have a yard sale like
the Magic Repeater group?

  _____

Podcast subscription button added

We have added an iTunes button on the front page of the public Handiham
website and also on the index page of the Member website.  Get this podcast
in iTunes:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Subscribe in iTunes

Out there: Underwater submarine communications using "telegraphists" and
Morse code

Found by Ken Silberman, KB3LLA, this quirky British website describes how an
obvious problem of communicating underwater was solved (sort of) by the use
of a creative use of Morse code.

"Well before the first world war, Reginald Fessenden, an eminent scientist,
had discovered what he called his Fessenden Oscillator and the Royal Navy,
surface vessels and submerged vessels took the technology to heart, pocket
and practical advantage. The early submarines, dating from the 1900 period,
had, for twelve years, been extremely vulnerable to being rammed or run-over
by surface vessels. Virtually at all times when in busy navigable waters, a
submarine was escorted by a ship of sloop size to ensure its safety. When
this occurred, the highest safety factor was when the boat was on the
surface, the two vessels in sight of each other and fully aware of what each
was doing. When the boat dived the trouble, or potential for trouble
started, because the submarine could not hear the ship in terms of
underwater noise [HE = hydrophone effect] nor could it communicate with the
ship. Its only small measure of comfort that all was reasonably well up top
[on the surface] was by having an occasional glance through the periscope.
When dived to a depth below periscope depth, the chances of hearing anything
other than the internal machine noises were impossible. Fessenden had
discovered that a diaphragm bolted flush to the vessel's side could be made
to vibrate at some definite frequency. If the vibrations could be
tailor-made to represent known signals then any vessel could talk to another
vessel by underwater means, meaning ship to ship, submarine to submarine,
and certainly, ship to submarine and vice versa."

Care to read more?  Find the article here:

http://www.rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk/UNDERWATER%20COMMUNICAT
IONS.htm

Looking for talking instrumentation?

Also found by KB3LLA, who writes: This company has shop tools and other such
products. I call your attention to the "Light Sensor/Talking Calculator/Shop
Tools" link. I found this company while browsing through the NFB technology
list:  <http://www.captek.net/Captek/Welcome.html>
http://www.captek.net/Captek/Welcome.html

  _____

Summer QSL Card Series Continues

3 QSL cards from Mike, K3BRJ. Middle QSL card is postcard size and includes
ARRL diamond & Field Day logos. Top business card size QSL shows IC-718 rig
and drawing of microphone with K3BRJ contact info. Bottom business card size
QSL features Mike's DEC contact info & ARRL ARES logo.

Sometimes it is fun to make your own QSL cards. That's what Mike, K3BRJ,
decided to do when he found that he needed different cards for different
uses. He says:

These three cards were created both for fun and need. The small yellow one,
at the bottom, is handy not only as an ID but as a handout. The second
larger QSL card, in the middle, was created with Field Day 2010 in mind. The
top card was not only created as a new eyeball QSO card, but to show station
changes as well. I use an older version of Printmaster, (Printmaster 7.0).
All cards use Avery cardstock. Creating the individual designs, is the fun
part. Each card takes 45 minutes to an hour to design.

Mike Gruteke, K3BRJ, DEC-District 2, VT

  _____

EchoLink and the Kenwood TM-V71/TM-D710

Need more information on operating an Echolink node with the TM-V71A?  While
looking for some information for a member, I found this helpful resource
right on the Echolink site:

http://www.echolink.org/v71a.htm

*       Pat, WA0TDA, says: I will be at Camp Courage HANDIHAM HQ on
Wednesday, July 28 working on station infrastructure as we continue our
remote base project. I will be out of phone and email contact for most of
the day.
*       The Book & Tape Catalog has been updated for our members:
<http://www.handiham.org/booklist>
http://www.handiham.org/booklist

*       What about net controls? Tonight is net night!  The Wednesday
evening EchoLink net is at 19:30 United States Central Daylight time, which
translates to +5 hours, or 00:30 GMT Thursday morning during North American
Daylight Time. In the winter, the GMT schedule is +6 hours. Connect from any
Internet-enabled computer in the world, and come out on Twin Cities repeater
N0BVE on 145.450.  If there is no designated Net Control, there will be a
simple roundtable net. Inexperienced net control stations can quickly get in
over their heads. Of course everyone needs to start somewhere to get
experience in the first place, but the Wednesday evening net is not the
place to do so. We urge our experienced net controls to take this hour, or
else to at least participate in the round table. We are open to suggestions
about how to train and certify more net controls for the Wednesday evening
net. It is especially difficult to run this net in the summer, as many of us
are out and about doing other things. I can't emphasize enough how important
it is for the person in charge of the net to know how to do that job!  This
is a job where good intentions cannot substitute for being able to keep
track of stations checking in, directing them to keep the net on topic,
being able to take charge, and keeping the discussion both civil and fair,
so that everyone who wants to participate can be included. Although we don't
have any "official" net control list as some nets do, perhaps we should.
What do you think?

EchoLink nodes:

HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone number
with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or call
her toll-free at 1-866-426-3442. Mornings are the best time to contact us.

  _____

Supporting Handihams

graphic showing figure using wheelchair holding hand of standing figure

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

ARRL Diamond logo