[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 24 February 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:19:23 -0600

System. Please do not reply to this message. Use the contact information at
the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for help with
subscribing, unsubscribing, or to ask questions.  A real person will
respond!

MP3 audio stream:

Get this issue as an audio podcast:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Welcome to Handiham World!

Red Cross emergency communications truck at Dayton

If there is any theme that runs through publicity about amateur radio these
days, it is generally one about the reliability of our communications in an
emergency situation. In story after story that I see ferreted out by Google
News, ham radio operators tell the press and the public about the way
amateur radio operators can stay on the air to provide vital communications
when cellular phones are overloaded or down altogether and

other communications infrastructure has failed. The training and
volunteerism of amateur radio operators are also highlights of these
articles, and the very best of these stories also include some human factor
- a volunteer operator who has helped the community, a team of operators who
have worked in tandem with emergency personnel to provide backup
communications, and sometimes even a victim who owes a debt of gratitude to
amateur radio.  These are themes that the ARRL has taken a leadership role
in promoting, and the evidence is that the strategy has worked. More new
hams than ever joined the ranks of amateur radio here in the United States
last year.

Quoting from a story on ARRL's website, "A total of 30,144 new licenses were
granted in 2009, an increase of almost 7.5 percent from 2008. In 2005,
16,368 new hams joined Amateur Radio's ranks; just five years later, that
number had increased by almost 14,000 -- a whopping 84 percent! The ARRL VEC
is one of 14 VECs who administer Amateur Radio license exams."

Of the many reasons people become interested in amateur radio, the one I
have heard most often in recent years is that new hams want to earn a
license so that they will have the means to help in emergencies and to be of
service to the community. This, among the other themes, has been expertly
promoted by ARRL in special websites, publicity releases, articles, and
videos. Taking on the erroneous image of ham radio as an "outdated
technology" that has been all but replaced by the internet, ARRL answers the
questions of why we are relevant in the 21st Century on its Wordpress "We Do
That Radio" and "emergency-radio" websites.

Well, with all of that in mind, we turn to the large cardboard envelope I
received from Matt Arthur, KA0PQW, this week. Matt had told me he was
sending me an article, but I was surprised and delighted to see that it
read:

Honored by President Obama

Local ham radio hobbyist recognized

Matt Arthur, KA0PQW, reflected in Gordon West's car roof.

The story appeared in the February 18, 2010 edition of the Star-Eagle
newspaper, and featured a photo of Matt, KA0PQW, in his well-equipped ham
shack. In the article, staff writer Jody Wynnemer explained that when a
letter arrived from the White House, Matt had learned that he had been
selected to receive a President's Volunteer Service Award.

"Congratulations on receiving the President's Volunteer Service Award, and
thank you for helping to address the most pressing needs in your community
and our country", the letter began.

Matt was recognized for his work with the Community Emergency Response Team
in Steele County, Minnesota. He recalled how he volunteered and handled
communications during a flood in 2007. It had been nine hours until the
National Guard could relieve him, and in the meantime he handled traffic in
and out of the flood zone, passing messages to authorities in Winona.

Those of us who know Matt as a Handiham leader and volunteer understand what
a great spokesman he is for amateur radio. To paraphrase a familiar saying
about politics, all good ham radio work is local - at least that's how it
begins.  Local ham radio classes, local Skywarn training, local ARES
exercises, local club meetings and programs - and local news stories, just
like the one that features Matt. Of course ham radio is worldwide by its
nature, but getting the word out about the things we can do really does
begin right at home.

Congratulations to Matt, KA0PQW, on this wonderful honor!

For Handiham World, I'm...

Patrick Tice, wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

  _____

Amateur Radio NEWSLINE Young Ham Of the Year Award

If you know a young radio amateur age 18 or younger who has done something
very special in the Amateur Radio hobby, or if you know of one who fits this
description, now is the time to consider nominating him or her for the 2010
Amateur Radio NEWSLINE Young Ham of the Year Award. All nominations must be
received by May 30 of any given calendar year on an official application and
accompanied by verification materials.

Applications forms are available for a self addressed stamped envelope
mailed to the Young Ham of the Year Award c/o NEWSLINE, 28197 Robin Avenue,
Santa Clarita California 91350. These nominating applications, as well as