[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 22 June 2011

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:15:14 -0500

System. Our contact information is at the end
<http://www.handiham.org/local/blind/this_week.htm#Contact> , or simply

You can listen to this news online:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Description: Subscribe in
iTunes

One of the movies I remember enjoying was "The Perfect Storm". A huge storm
barreled up the Eastern United States seaboard and all the conditions
aligned to turn it into a real disaster. Everything that could go wrong did
go wrong.

This week seems a lot like that here in the ham shack. My main Windows
computer suffered a failure and the Windows installation could not be
repaired without a complete reinstallation. Although I regularly back
everything up, reinstalling an operating system is still a huge and very
disruptive process. Although you may have documents and the files you have
created preserved, you have to reinstall all of your applications. That
means all saved settings, passwords, usernames, the lot of it. So I am
operating here on an old computer with limited resources. I cannot retrieve
all of my old email and many contacts have disappeared. It is a huge mess
and it will take a long time to get back to anything like an efficient
office day.

But is it a perfect storm? Well, consider that yesterday I had to attend
some staff training at our main office at Camp Courage. A thunderstorm had
passed through several days before, knocking the W0ZSW remote base offline.
That problem was fixed easily enough by restarting the rig control computer
and setting the BIOS to always turn the machine on following a power
failure. Turning to my main office computer, I found that it had been fried.
So now my main office computer and my main home computer on which I produce
all audio podcasts, do all audio editing, all my home email, the web
publishing, and nearly everything else having to do with my computing life,
all both down for the count.

Add to that the fact that we are into the busy season at camp and Courage
Center, like other healthcare providers, is worried about an impending State
government shutdown, and you can see that this is quite some storm!

So today's e-letter will have to be shorter. I will do my best to catch up,
but ask that emails and phone calls be kept to a minimum.

I know this is disappointing, so to cheer you up, we will hear a special
presentation by Matt Arthur, KA0PQW, later on in the audio podcast version
of this week's e-letter. Matt sent me an audio lecture on sporadic-e
propagation, and this is a perfect time of year to learn more about it and
then look for some sporadic-e yourself!

gives him a treat when she stops by!

Anne, K1STM, wrote to let us know that TIPSnet is in summer shut down mode
and will return on September 13. The final TIPSnet for this past season was
yesterday, June 21.

Editor's note: I have lost a considerable amount of email. I am not sure
when it will be recovered. If you have sent me something and it does not get
acted upon, that is the reason. Please send only urgent email to
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx until further notice.

  _____

Troubleshooting 101: No column this week

Maybe if I ever figure out my computer problems, I'll write about that, HI!

Send your ideas about troubleshooting for possible inclusion in this column
to:

Happy summer!

Just in time for the official start of the North American summer, Space
Weather News for June 21, 2011 reports a new solar flare with CME.

http://spaceweather.com

"SOLSTICE SOLAR FLARE: The first day of northern summer began with a solar
flare. Magnetic fields above sunspot complex 1236 erupted during the early
hours of June 21st, hurling a coronal mass ejection (CME) almost directly
toward Earth. The incoming CME does not appear to be particularly potent;
nevertheless, the cloud could trigger polar geomagnetic storms when it
reaches Earth on or about June 23rd."

Check http://spaceweather.com for movies and updates.

This feature will return next week.

  _____

FCC waives phone number disconnect rule for MO disaster victims

FCC WAIVER ALLOWS MISSOURI DISASTER VICTIMS TO KEEP THEIR PHONE NUMBERS
WHILE REBUILDING; NORMAL RULES WOULD HAVE FORCED DISCONNECTION OF PHONE
NUMBERS AFTER 90 DAYS

Carriers Also Encouraged to Waive Call Forwarding, Voicemail Charges for
Disaster Victims

Washington, D.C. - Missourians living in the federal disaster area that was
declared following May's severe flooding and tornadoes will be able to
temporarily discontinue phone service while they rebuild without losing
their existing phone numbers. Normally, FCC rules require carriers to make
numbers from disconnected phone service available for reassignment to other
customers 90 days after disconnection.

In addition, the Federal Communications Commission is encouraging carriers
in the affected areas to
waive call forwarding, message center and voicemail service charges for
customers until their service is restored.

The FCC waived those rules temporarily in the disaster areas so that
consumers who want to reinstate their service after the 90-day period has
lapsed can retain their existing phone numbers. Changing phone numbers is
burdensome for consumers, especially following a natural disaster. The FCC's
waiver is meant to ease one small part of the reconstruction effort in
Missouri.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency in May declared the Missouri
counties of Butler,
Mississippi, New Madrid, St. Louis, and Taney major disaster areas. Phone
service customers in these counties who are temporarily disconnecting
service while they rebuild should ask carriers to preserve their phone
numbers.

Wireline Competition Bureau Staff Contact: Ben Childers at 202-418-1418.
-FCC

News about the Federal Communications Commission can also be found on the
Commission's web site www.fcc.gov.

  _____

Remote Base Health Report for 22 June 2011

Both stations are operational.

W0EQO is on line. W0ZSW is on line.

Thunderstorms moved through Wright County and the W0ZSW station went off
line for some reason, probably failure of the computer to restart following
a power outage. We have changed the computer BIOS setting to restart
following a power outage. Echolink on W0ZSW is intermittently available due
to a proxy issue.

You can read the complete status page at:
<http://www.handiham.org/node/1005>
http://www.handiham.org/node/1005

We did have an issue with the RF gain control being set way down on W0EQO.
Please, if you are going to change these controls, be thoughtful and return
them to their normal settings when you are finished with the station.

*       Listen on the HANDIHAM conference server, node 494492 on Field Day!
Some of us will be making Field Day contacts there.
*       Please hold phone calls and emails to a minimum. Nancy & I are both
dealing with a heavy workload.
*       Reminder: New General Pool: Bob Zeida, N1BLF, has completed his
recording of the new General Class Question Pool with only the correct
answers. It is available in the members only section and is divided into
subelements, with each subelement in MP3 format. The link page describes
what is covered in each subelement so that you can easily go to the sections
you want to hear by topic.
*       Introduction to the new General Audio lecture series began last
Friday. There is no new audio lecture this week due to the computer issues.
*       The audio magazine digest: Worldradio, CQ, QST, and AMSAT Journal
audio is available for our blind members. July audio is going to be posted
as soon as possible. Bob Zeida and Ken Padgett have both sent me audio, but
it will take me some time to process it and get it posted, so keep checking
the audio page.
*       Handiham membership has gone up slightly from $10 to $12. We have
not increased dues in many years.
*       Radio Camp will be from Monday 8 August to Saturday 13 August, 2011.

*       Handiham Radio Camp to feature Wouxun radios for our new
Technicians!
Come to Radio Camp, get your first license, and go home with a new radio. If
you are a Handiham member and are studying for your Technician level amateur
radio license, you should consider attending Handiham Radio Camp, which will
be a wonderful opportunity for you to review what you have studied and take
the exam in a completely accessible environment. Our campers who earn their
Technician Class Amateur Radio licenses at camp will be presented with
brand-new dual-band handheld radios, thanks to the support of a generous
donor. The radios are by Wouxun, and operate on the 2 m and 70 cm bands,
which are the most popular repeater bands. Since these radios also include
voice prompts in plain English, they are especially preferred by blind
users.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to attend Radio Camp and then go home with a
brand-new radio?

We sure think so! If you are not a Handiham member and are interested in
joining us, here is a link to request a membership application:
http://www.handiham.org/node/729

If you are already a Handiham member and would like a radio camp
application, call toll-free 1-866-426-3442 and request a camper application.
You may also download the application package or contact us by email to ask
a question or request a camper application:
<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*        <http://handiham.org/files/camp/mn_camp_2011_cover.pdf> Download
the camp cover letter in PDF
*       Download a self-extracting zip file with the complete radio camp
application package <http://handiham.org/files/camp/mncamp2011.exe> , or
*       Download a zip file with the complete radio camp application package
<http://handiham.org/files/camp/mncamp2011.zip> .

*       If your email program does not display links, go to our website:
<http://www.handiham.org/node/358>
Although you may not live nearby Camp Courage, we do pick up campers at the
Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport. Campers come from anywhere and
everywhere, so even if you live far from camp you will have the opportunity
to join us for this fun and unique session. All campus buildings are modern
- although we are a camp, no one sleeps in a tent or has to eat beans out of
a tin can! Our facilities are modern and include wireless Internet access
and modern construction. All facilities are wheelchair-accessible.

Handiham Radio Camp 2011 is at Camp Courage - Woodland Campus - August 8-13,
2011 and serves Handiham members ages 16 and older.

Enjoy an experience of Ham radio fun and learning. Make new friends while
building an on-air community that continues after you leave Radio Camp. Get
a first Ham radio license or upgrade a current one, or learn new operating
skills. Keep abreast of the latest technology, including assistive
technology. Wireless internet access is available. Instructors are
experienced amateur radio operators from throughout the nation. Trained
staff members provide personal care assistance. And, we leave plenty of time
to take a break from studying and enjoy traditional camp activities.

.         Tonight is EchoLink net night. The Wednesday evening Echolink net
is at 19:30 United States Central time, which translates to +5 hours, or
00:30 GMT Thursday morning.

o    EchoLink nodes:

*       KA0PQW-R, node 267582
*       N0BVE-R, node 89680
*       HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity
node.)

o    Other ways to connect:

*       IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or

Supporting Handihams - 2011.

standing figure

.         Join at the usual $12 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a 90 day non-renewable
sponsored membership.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org