[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 22 December 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:07:48 -0600

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen to this news online:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Description: Description:
Subscribe in iTunes

As we cruise into the final weeks of the year, we need to remind our readers
& listeners that we survive only because of your generosity. Non-profit
programs like Handihams look for a significant part of our support at year's
end. I hope you will take a few minutes to find the return envelope in your
Handiham World print edition and help us out with anything you can. If you
don't have an envelope, you can call Nancy at 1-866-426-3442 to donate by
credit card, or choose the donate online option at Courage Center's website.
The instructions on how to designate your gift specifically to the Handiham
program or donate by mail are at:  <http://www.handiham.org/node/37>
http://www.handiham.org/node/37

Thank you for your support!

Ah, yes. Computers. We love them and we hate them. The ham shack computer is
so full of promise; it can do logging, rig control, callsign lookup, digital
modes, QSL cards, EchoLink, remote base operation, and then switch gears and
become the family's web browser and email hub. It may even turn into a
gaming console when it is not running the ham station.

That's when everything is working, of course. As computer users, we have all
experienced the frustration of a locked-up machine, an unresponsive
application, or a blue screen of death or its equivalent. You Mac and Linux
users out there have had similar problems, so don't sit there smirking!

Today's topic is computers, mostly as related to ham radio, of course. We'll
have a few of the usual weekly features as well.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham System Manager <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>

Multitasking - How much is okay?

We have all heard the term "multitasking", which seems to be in the popular
media spotlight these days. When you multitask, you supposedly do several
things at once. Multitasking is supposed to save time and make you more
efficient. This is not always the case, as has been often-noted when people
who are supposed to be paying attention to a critical task like driving a
car are also trying to put on lipstick, send a text message on a cell phone,
or (for that matter) find a frequency on their amateur radio transceiver.
The results can be disastrous!

On the other hand, sometimes multitasking makes sense. When I am out taking
a brisk walk in the park for my daily exercise, I can also take the dog
along so that he gets his walk. In addition, I can take along an iPod and
listen to the ARRL Audio News and Amateur Radio NEWSLINE. This kind of
multitasking works well because the resources demanded for each task do not
overlap too much. For example, I don't need to use a lot of brain power to
put one foot in front of the other while taking a walk in the park. Instead,
that brain power can be used to think about what I am hearing about amateur
radio news on the iPod. Occasionally, the dog will need to stop and a small
amount of brainpower will be redirected to that interruption. The important
thing to remember about multitasking is that each task will require specific
resources. Sometimes the resources needed for one task will be the same ones
needed for a second task, so it will be necessary to use the resources first
for task one then for task two, perhaps switching back and forth between the
two different tasks as a way of sharing resources.

Computers work the same way. In a single-processor computer, even though you
may be performing multiple tasks, the processor is really only doing one
thing at a time. Sharing the resource of processor power can be done by
switching between tasks rapidly so that it seems as if the computer really
is multitasking. Some computers have multiple core processors, which allows
them to run parallel processes for true multitasking. What I am getting to
with this talk about multitasking is that it is possible for us to ask too
much of our personal computers. You may have found out (as I have) that some
software programs simply don't play well with others. You may find yourself
having to close one software program before you can use another one.
Hardware resources in any single computer are limited as well. If you are
using your personal computer for rig control, you are probably tying up a
serial port. If you are using your computer for EchoLink operation, you are
tying up soundcard resources. You may find it difficult to switch between
EchoLink operation and voice dictation using the same soundcard. After using
one sound-enabled application, you may find out that the level settings for
the next sound application you want to use are completely off base,
requiring you to make a trip to the Windows mixer to reset everything. If
the ham shack computer is also the family computer, you may run into the
problem of who gets to use the computer when you want to get on the air.

The personal computer is really good at multitasking, but there may come a
time when you have to decide to set up a dedicated ham shack machine. The
advantages are many and include not having to draw straws to see who gets
the computer during the big contest weekend, having only ham radio related
software that you really need installed on the ham shack machine, and the
ability to dedicate hardware settings and connections to ham radio rig
control and VoIP applications like EchoLink. You can even set your web
browser settings so that frequently used ham radio websites come up right
away in tabs. There is also great advantage in returning to the ham shack,
sitting down, and finding the computer in more or less the same state that
you left it in the last time you used it. Yes, you are still asking the ham
shack computer to be a multitasker of sorts but instead of having to do
everything that the entire family might demand of it, your ham shack
computer can now do targeted multitasking related to amateur radio use and
applications. With the price of personal computers falling, it seems
reasonable to go the route of a dedicated computer for your ham radio hobby.

"That is all well and good", you say, "but even my ham shack computer
doesn't seem to have enough hardware resources like soundcard inputs to
handle all of the different amateur radio applications."

Ah, yes. That is a common complaint. These days it is not unusual for the
ham shack computer to be used in digital modes operation, EchoLink, and
remote base operation using Skype. How are all of these sound applications
supposed to work on a single machine?

One solution is to add USB sound devices. Each USB sound device functions
independently from the computer's internal sound card circuitry. For
example, if you use the computer's existing soundcard for PSK-31 operation,
you may find it more convenient to have a USB headset microphone for use
with EchoLink. Since each functions independently, the mixer settings should
remain at their proper settings once set up for each application. You can
buy USB headsets for as little as $30 on sale, and you can get a pretty good
one any time for under $60. The time saved in not having to fiddle around
with mixer settings or plug and unplug cables into the soundcard every time
you change modes of operation on your ham shack computer is well worth the
small expense and effort to get a USB headset installed. Incidentally, if
you have a need for a second USB sound system, whether it is a desk
microphone, a webcam with USB microphone, or a second USB headset, you can
generally simply plug it in to a second USB port and set it up for still
another application. This would enable you to have separate sound systems
for PSK-31, EchoLink, and Skype. If you are going to ask the computer to
multitask on sound operations, this is a great way to cut down on potential
conflicts and save yourself a lot of time and grief.

Before we leave the subject of multitasking, I want to share a tip for our
readers and listeners who drive a car and operate a mobile ham radio
station. All I have in my car is a 2 m mobile rig, but it has a huge
potential to distract me from my main task, which should be paying attention
to my driving. I find that I can talk on the radio all right while driving
and of course everyone understands if you tell them that you need to pay
attention to your driving while at a busy intersection or if traffic and
weather conditions are deteriorating. The main distraction with mobile
operation involves changing channels on the 2 m radio and taking your eyes
off the road. I have solved this problem by setting up the radio's memory
channels so that I can navigate through them without taking my eyes off the
road. One trick familiar to many blind Handiham members who can operate just
about any 2 m radio with memories is to set up the local National Weather
Service in channel space one. Since the National Weather Service is always
on the air, you can just twist the memory channel knob until you find their
broadcast and then click the tuning knob clockwise or counterclockwise a
given number of clicks, counting clicks to the channel you want to use. Even
if there is nothing on that repeater channel, by counting clicks from the
known National Weather Service channel you now are assured that you are on
the correct repeater. Another thing I figured out was to set up repeaters in
memory slots that track logically by geography. For example, I start with my
local repeater, then I travel west on the interstate and soon find that I
need to switch to a second repeater and then finally a third repeater as I
continue going west. On my radio, the local repeater can be found before I
even leave the driveway. After that, I have the radio set up so that one
counterclockwise click of the memory channel knob takes me to the next
repeater to the west. Another counterclockwise click takes me to the third
repeater, again as I proceed in a westbound direction. On the return trip I
reversed the process and my memory channel clicks take me clockwise as I
drive to the east. Sometimes these simple solutions in setting up our radios
can minimize dangerous multitasking while driving.

I don't want to say that multitasking is always good or always bad. We all
multitask to some extent, and we ask our ham shack computers to do it all
the time. The trick is to think things through and plan to set up your
station and your equipment so that multitasking works for you!

  _____

The always-on vs. turn-it-off question revisited

About once a year I revisit the perennial question of whether it is better
to leave the ham shack computer on all the time, 24/7, or to dutifully turn
the machine off after you are through using it. Many of you opt for a
compromise, which is to leave the computer running during the day if you
plan to use it several times, then shutting it down in the evening following
its last use. For some of you, the ham shack computer also runs your screen
access software, such as JAWS, Window-Eyes, or Zoomtext, and you find it
most convenient to leave it running all day long. So what's best? Does
shutting the computer down actually cause more wear and tear on it than just
leaving it up and running? What about energy use? Will you have a huge
electric bill if you let your computer run?

The reason we revisit this question is that technology changes, and
sometimes the question isn't answered the same way it had been the previous
year. For one thing, Windows 7 has gained some market share, and it handles
automatic power saving settings pretty well. Remote base and EchoLink
operation may be expedited by leaving a machine on all the time - a
necessity if you are hosting an EchoLink node or remote base station
yourself. New computers are energy-efficient, and flat panel displays cost
less to operate. (The energy consumption is about 1/3 to 1/2 with the LCD
screen.) Even if you leave a computer running, the power settings can be
adjusted to allow the monitor to turn off unless the computer is actually
being used, for considerable savings. It may be acceptable to turn off hard
drives during periods of inactivity for further energy savings. This allows
the computer to still be awakened in case it is called into use by a ham
radio application. As you might expect, our Handiham remote base station
computers run all the time. The monitors don't even need to be turned on,
since the machines in each location can be accessed remotely. Reliability
has been excellent at both stations, with virtually no down time caused by
any kind of computer failure.

A simple home amateur station installation doesn't need a computer to be
available every hour of the day and night. While reliability probably won't
be affected much one way or the other, you can probably turn your computer
off (or hibernate it) when you are not in the ham shack. The easiest way to
manage things is to set the power settings to "power saver" in Windows 7 or
whatever is the equivalent for your computer and operating system.  This
will allow the ham shack computer to put itself into an energy-saving state
on its own, but to still be readily available should you sit down at the
operating position and need to control the radio or do some logging.

So in my own ham shack, sometimes the computers stay on for days or even
weeks, and other times I go ahead and shut them down.  One important thing
to track is the process of updates to the computer's operating system or
added software.  Some of these updates will require the machine to be shut
down to complete the installation. If you never shut down, you may collect a
lot of updates that will need to be done!

So shut the shack computer down at least once in a while, but don't worry
too much if you forget and leave it running. The hard drive will do just
fine, and it won't use much energy as long as you have set up the power
settings correctly.

Howard, KE7KNN, writes:

HO, HO, HO.

It is that time of year again when we think about others - family & friends,
and of course all the members and staff at Handihams. This year has seen its
ups and downs, but overall we move forward and collect new hams and Handiham
campers along the way. Teaching and then hearing our new hams on the air is
really great.  And we are all teachers in ham radio. Not many people can say
that! I hope Santa brings you good health and many other good things in your
life.  Thank you to all of you Handihams out there - Without you, life would
be boring.  You bring a lot of fun to my day. Have a very merry Christmas
and a Happy New Year.

Our best to all,

Howard & Arlene, KE7KNN & KE7KNM

  _____

Connecting with EchoLink

You have heard of the popular amateur radio computer application called
EchoLink, but you may have had reservations about actually trying it
yourself. A lot has changed since the early days of EchoLink-like
applications, and you might want to give EchoLink another look. One of the
things that has changed is the registration process. When you first download
and install EchoLink, you're going to have to verify that you are actually a
licensed amateur radio operator. This is slightly more difficult than it
used to be, but it is actually a good thing because the volunteers who run
the EchoLink system run a tight ship and do an excellent job of keeping the
EchoLink service clear of imposters. You will need a copy of your original
license that can be sent electronically to the EchoLink people for
verification. This verification process is called "validation" and it isn't
that difficult at all. Special step-by-step instructions are provided on the
EchoLink validation web page. Even before you get validated, you will want
to download and install the EchoLink software directly from
www.EchoLink.org. The EchoLink website is very easy to navigate and the
instructions in every section are clearly-written. Most people will not have
a problem with finding the EchoLink website, downloading the software,
installation, and validation. By now, most computer users are very familiar
with the process of downloading and installing software. I do recall talking
to one person recently who was having trouble with validation because he had
lost his original amateur radio license and had to order a copy from the
FCC, but he didn't know his FCC password either. I recommend that the very
first thing you do as a new year resolution for 2011 is to start your own
FCC file folder and keep all of your pertinent FCC information in it so that
you can find your password and your original license should you need it.

Now you have gotten through the validation process and can log on to
EchoLink for the first time. You will want to find the EchoLink test server
in the station list and then connect to it to test your audio settings. Use
the search function in EchoLink to search for "ECHOTEST".  If you are a
blind user, you will want to learn keyboard shortcuts. To use the search
function, for example, you will use the CTRL-F keyboard command to open the
find dialog. Simply type in ECHOTEST and press the enter key. You may have
to do this several times to be sure you find the EchoLink test server itself
and not just other stations connected to it. A wonderful resource to know
about is the list of keyboard commands available on the Handiham website:
<http://www.handiham.org/node/286>
http://www.handiham.org/node/286

If you are blind and using a screen reader to navigate, you will want to
spend some time at this point just learning your way around the EchoLink
application. If you can see and use the mouse, you will still want to
explore what is available in the EchoLink application. While we can't go
into details about features, EchoLink will allow you to connect to stations
all around the world and to repeater systems just about anywhere. It will
definitely broaden your scope of operation without regard to sunspot
activity and changing conditions on the HF bands.

Once you make a connection with the EchoLink test server, you can use the
space bar at the bottom of your keyboard to toggle transmit. You don't need
to hold the bar down; just press and release it. You can then make a test
transmission, such as "testing, one, two, three" and toggle the space bar
once again. Listen to hear your test message come back to you. If you can
hear it clearly, you are ready to start using EchoLink. If you cannot
connect to the test server and instead get a timeout, then you need to check
for firewall settings. The EchoLink website has excellent help files to
guide you through this process. Although plenty of people have asked us for
help, it really is something that needs to be figured out right at your own
computer, not something that someone on the phone can do for you. The reason
for this is that every computer firewall and home router is different. The
EchoLink site offers very good resources for troubleshooting your way
through firewall issues. If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, you can
download the free EchoLink application from the iTunes store. This
application works immediately without any firewall issues at all through a
system called "relay". We have had a number of people checking into the
Handiham net from iPods and iPhones. Most iPod Touch models and iPhones are
equipped with the built in screen access software "VoiceoverR", and are very
blind-friendly. They provide an excellent way to take amateur radio along
with you even in places where a handheld radio is inconvenient or won't work
at all. There is also an EchoLink application for the new Android smart
phones. It will also work on the Apple iPad.

As annoying as firewall issues can be, you can also run into some initial
problems setting up sound. As we have discussed before, sometimes a USB
headset with boom microphone is the best answer for VoIP applications like
EchoLink. If you are a computer user, you will need to be familiar with how
to access and set recording mixer settings. This is not considered an
"expert" user task and is something that most home users will probably
encounter sooner or later as something that needs to be set up on their
computers, so you might as well learn how to do it. As with the firewalls,
each computer is set up differently. This means that you are going to have
to roll up your sleeves and learn how to do this basic task on your own
computer. I consider it part of the challenge and fun of a technical hobby
like amateur radio to learn these kinds of things. Once you learn how to do
it yourself, then you have learned a skill that you can use later on for
other sound-enabled applications. However, if you want to go the easy route,
the iPod Touch, iPad, and iPhone EchoLink application will pretty much work
as soon as you install it and you won't have to worry about sound settings
any more than you had to worry about firewall settings. I use an iPod myself
for some of our Handiham net activity and find it easy and very convenient.
Frankly, it is one of the easiest ways you can imagine to get on EchoLink!

Of course you can also connect to EchoLink through an EchoLink-enabled
repeater system in your area. Someone in your radio club or on the repeater
will be able to tell you how to gain access. The usual way is to simply
enter the node number of the desired station, but repeaters can be set up in
different ways. It helps to have someone in your radio club work with you
the first couple of times to use the EchoLink-enabled club repeater.

I hope you will give EchoLink another try. Yes, it can be a little bit
difficult to set up your firewall at first, but once you get everything
going, you will enjoy EchoLink immensely and find it to be useful any time
of the day or night and during any season, regardless of band conditions.

Today's dip into the question pool takes us to the new General Class
question pool that will be effective July 1, 2011.

Question G4E07 asks us: Which of the following is the most likely to cause
interfering signals to be heard in the receiver of an HF mobile installation
in a recent model vehicle?

The possible answers are:

A. The battery charging system
B. The anti-lock braking system
C. The anti-theft circuitry
D. The vehicle control computer

So what you think? Some of you old-timers might jump right to answer "A",
The battery charging system, as you think about alternator noise. Well, that
would've been true years ago, but the correct answer today is "D", The
vehicle control computer. Since this week's podcast newsletter is about
computers, that might've been a clue. In any case, those of us who work with
computers quite a bit know that they can be notorious RF generators, and all
of that RF can cause problems with amateur radio receivers. To my knowledge,
this is the first time that a question like this has appeared in the
question pool, and it shows that the question pool committee is aware of
current issues caused by some of these new technologies operating
side-by-side with amateur radio equipment.

  _____

Handiham Radio Club Notes

Ken, KB3LLA, has consolidated the  Handiham Radio Club email reflector list.
We originally had two lists, and pared it down, deciding on a single list.
Thanks, Ken!

If you are a Handiham member, please let us know if you are also interested
in joining the Handiham Radio Club. It's free, and we hope to get more
activities going on in 2011. Since the Handiham Radio Club is affiliated
with ARRL, we would really appreciate it if you would also join ARRL and
support our voice for amateur radio.

We can consider new ways to meet, now that we have broadband internet access
available to so many members. What do you think?  Webinar?  Skype
conference? Send your ideas to wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

  _____

Daisy News

DAISY, which stands for Digital Accessible Information System, is a standard
based on the computer document language XML, and is a means of creating
digital talking books that can be easily searched like a text document but
can still be listened to like a cassette audio book.

Last week I wrote a short article on the subject that I call "DAISY 101".
You might find it useful, and if you are a DAISY user yourself, I would
appreciate hearing from you after you read the article. You will find the
DAISY book version of the article ready for download in zip file format
here:   <http://handiham.org/local/daisy/daisy101.zip>
http://handiham.org/local/daisy/daisy101.zip

This week, I have completed two DAISY versions of the new General Class
Question Pool that will be valid beginning on July 1, 2011.  There are also
two text versions, the original, and a modified version by George LaValle,
N0SBU, who has removed all of the incorrect answers to facilitate use of the
text file as a study aid.

Here are some helpful links to the new General Pool.  Remember, these pool
questions are not in use for examinations until July 1, 2011.

The current General Class Question Pool from the NCVEC
<http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=350>

The General Pool effective 1 July 2011 through 30 June 2015 is now available
from Handihams in four formats:

*       The original version in plain text with all answers.
<http://handiham.org/manuals/Pools/general/general_2011-2015/general_2011_20
15.txt>
*       The modified version with only the correct answers given.
<http://handiham.org/manuals/Pools/general/general_2011-2015/general_2011_20
15_only_right_answers.txt>
*       The original version in DAISY book format.
<http://handiham.org/manuals/Pools/general/general_2011-2015/general%20pool%
202011-2015%20Daisy.zip>
*       The modified version with only the correct answer given in DAISY
book format.
<http://handiham.org/manuals/Pools/general/general_2011-2015/2011%20General%
20Pool%20Only%20Right%20Answers%20Daisy.zip>

Suggestions and corrections may be sent to wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

  _____

Remote base progress report: 22 December 2010

In spite of the extreme cold and snow here in Minnesota, both stations are
functional. Report problems to wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

There was a major worldwide SKYPE outage this morning, 22 December. Read
more on the BBC website:

"Skype apologises for losing half of daily call traffic":
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12064394>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12064394

Lyle, K0LR, and I were in a Skype call this morning when the system crashed.
We thought it odd that Skype would quit for both of us at the same time,
showing a message that it had encountered a problem and needed to restart.
Don, W0JBX, was NCS for PICONET this morning via the remote base and was
able to complete the net without a problem, so the Skype issue did not
affect all users. However, we are monitoring the situation.

Would you like to try the station right now?

If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to listen to the
radio, you can search for W0ZSW-L, node 524906, and connect. Entering a
frequency and pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's
receive frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper
sideband, Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is that
EchoLink control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only
available if there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base
software.

Don't forget about our station at Courage North, in far northern Minnesota's
lake country. If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to
listen to the radio, you can search for W0EQO-L, node 261171, and connect.
Just as with the other station, entering a frequency and pressing the enter
key will allow you to change the radio's receive frequency from the EchoLink
text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper sideband, Lower sideband, or AM,
respectively. One thing to remember is that EchoLink control only works on
receive, not transmit, and it is only available if there is no control
operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base software.

*       The Handiham office will be closed on Friday, December 24 and
Monday, December 27.  Next week we are open Tuesday through Thursday with
limited services. We will still release the Audio email unless we notify you
otherwise.
*       Handiham nets continue as scheduled during the holidays.  If there
is no net control, enjoy an informal roundtable session.  Don't drop your
radio into the eggnog.
*       Worldradio digest audio for January 2011 has been completed by Bob
Zeida, N1BLF, and is available to our blind members.
*       QST digest audio for January 2011 has been completed by Pat Tice and
Ken Padgitt, and is available to our blind members.
*       Don't put it off!  General Class students had better study faster.
The NCVEC Question Pool Committee has completed the new General Class pool,
which will be effective on 1 July 2011.  We have heard that the pool
questions are more difficult, and there are more total questions in the new
pool.  Our advice to those of you who have been dragging your feet about
getting your General Class upgrade is to get busy right now and pass that
General!  If you wait too long, you will have to go through the new pool and
take a harder exam.
*       A big thank you to our net control stations  for "saying yes" and
volunteering for this leadership role. We really appreciate your help and
everyone has noticed that the nets are running more smoothly than ever.

.         Tonight is net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at
19:30 United States Central time, which translates to +6 hours, or 01:30 GMT
Thursday morning.

EchoLink nodes:

HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

*       We need an Echolink, IRLP, or WIRES node in Rochester, MN so that
Sister Alverna, WA0SGJ, can continue to check into the Handiham net. Chris,
KG0BP, has shut down his node because he has moved to the Twin Cities.
*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or

Supporting Handihams - Year-end is a critical time.

hand of standing figure

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org