[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 22 August 2012

  • From: Patrick Tice <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:56:47 -0500

*Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday,
22 August 2012*

This is a free weekly news & information update from Courage Center
Handiham System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment. You
can listen to this news online.

MP3 audio stream:

Get this podcast in iTunes:
<http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406>
http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406

http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham
------------------------------
*Welcome to Handiham World.*

New Tech Net Offers a Chance to Get Questions Answered

*We all run into technical problems with our amateur radio equipment,
antennas, computers - you name it. Ham radio is a highly technical
activity, so we all need resources to help us answer questions and figure
out how to track down solutions. Of course there are on line forums for
such things, but having an on the air "tech net" gives us a much more
spontaneous and interactive way to participate in a group discussion that
may well help us learn new things.  The idea is for the Tech Net to
facilitate discussions about technical topics.  It is not a lecture series,
nor is it a "check in for the count" kind of net.  We welcome participants
whether they simply want to tune in and listen or whether they want to
transmit to ask or answer a technical question. *

It isn't every day that we launch a new net. The official start date is on
Thursday, 6 September 2012. The net will meet at 7:00 PM each Thursday
United States Central Time and will remain true to local time throughout
the year. To be sure we are clear about this, the net will meet at 7:00 PM
Minnesota time summer and winter, regardless of the change between Standard
Time and Daylight Time.  This means that there will be a one hour shift
relative to GMT each Autumn and again in the Spring. It is just easier to
stick to the same indicated local time than to use a static GMT hour.

In the summertime, when the Tech Net is on the air at 7:00 PM (19:00
hours), the GMT hour will be 19:00 + 5, making the net time 24:00 (or
00:00) GMT.  In the winter, when Minnesota goes to Standard Time, the
difference between Minnesota time and GMT becomes + 6 hours.  In that case,
the net is heard at 0:100 hours GMT.

Please feel free to get on the HANDIHAM conference the next couple of
Thursdays at what will be our official net time for pre-Tech Net
anticipation discussions!

Here are some key things to remember about the new Tech Net:

   - *It is perfectly okay to simply listen to learn. You are participating
   just by listening. *
   - *You should check in if you have a comment or question related to a
   technical topic. (Checking in to get on a net roster is not part of this
   net.)*
   - *When it is clear that a particular topic is under discussion and the
   discussion is not finished, please do feel free to add to the discussion if
   you have additional information on that topic. If you have some other
   technical question not related to the topic at hand, please wait until the
   current topic has been discussed and it is time to move on. *
   - *The net will be moderated and the discussion facilitated by the Net
   Control Station (NCS). *
   - *The Handiham Tech Net will meet each Thursday evening at 7:00 PM USA
   Central Time and last around an hour. *
   - *The net is heard on the following nodes and links:*

*HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)
KA0PQW-R, node 267582
KA0PQW-L, node 538131
N0BVE-R, node 89680
IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427*

Email me at handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with your questions & comments.
Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham Manager
------------------------------
Handiham remote base station report

Thanks to Jose, KK4JZX, we are making some great progress on some of the
software issues that our users have been experiencing. Jose has found a
workaround for sluggish response times experienced by some users. Lyle,
K0LR, has developed an easier way to set up the software when it is first
installed. We are excited about the upcoming changes in the software that
will make it even better. The price for this excellent rig control
software? Free for ham radio use, just as Stan, W4MQ, the software's author
intended. you can visit the remote base website to download the current
installation files:*
http://handiham.org/remotebase/ *

[image: Status check screen showing w0zsw offline.]

*W0EQO at Courage North is in service. W0ZSW has returned to service after
a week off line. We are not sure exactly what happened, but the rig control
computer was unreachable, possibly because of a network issue at Camp
Courage. Through the time period that the station was unreachable, it was
tuned to WWV.  *

*Kenwood TS-590S update: *The Kenwood TS-590S remote base beta test has
come to an end.  Our thanks to beta testers K0LR, AE5YC, KE0N, and N3AIN.
We have concluded the following:

   - The ARCP-590 software does not have a way to notify prospective users
   whether or not the station is already in use. (A person at the host
   computer can see the activity on the host software.)
   - Port 50,000 does not need to be opened on the client side for it to
   work. This makes the software easy to install for users.
   - Our beta testers have observed that the software does behave
   differently on different computers. No further information is available on
   this observation due to the limited nature of this test.
   - The software has many control functions, but many useful keyboard
   commands are missing.
   - Most of the functions work with Jaws.
   - The VGS1 speech announcements will accompany the rig audio on the USB
   connection, but the menu settings must be adjusted to allow this. (Beeps
   "on".)

*Impressions about the ARCP-590 software as used in remote base operation:*

   - Overall, the ARCP-590 software is very complete in its control
   functions and works with a screenreader. The USB cable connection between
   the radio and the computer ports the radio commands and the audio, so no
   additional rig interface is required.
   - The ARCP-590 software is better suited for a single user or a very
   small group of users than for a large user base. Although it provides
   excellent access to most radio functions, the lack of keyboard commands and
   a way to alert other users when the radio is already in use are real
   inconveniences. From an administrative standpoint, the W4MQ software allows
   user transmit privileges to be set by license class, a useful feature to
   help new and inexperienced operators from transmitting outside their
   allotted frequencies. The ARCP-590 software does not have this feature.
   - The ARCP-590 software is easier to install and configure than the W4MQ
   software - but that may change with new tweaks to the W4MQ software.
   - The TS-590S is not yet supported by the W4MQ software unless it is
   paired with DXLab Commander. The ARCP-590 supports the TS-590S directly
   without any additional software (aside from a USB driver download.)
   - ARCP-590 is an excellent rig control program available for free from
   the Kenwood website.

Please contact me directly at wa0tda@xxxxxxxx if you have a comment.

*Solar Activity Forecast from NOAA:*  Forecast: Solar activity is expected
to be very low to low for the next three days (22-24 August).

*Geophysical Activity Forecast:* The geomagnetic field is expected to be
predominately quiet for days 1-3 (22-24 August).

Credit: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today.html
------------------------------
Avery's QTH - Summer rerun

[image: Avery with puff and sip keyer at Hamvention]

*Avery, K0HLA, remembers that sharp smell of ozone.*

What happens when you let the smoke out of your equipment? Listen in as
Avery tells us in the audio version of this previously released "Avery's
QTH." If you listen to the audio podcast of your weekly e-letter you will
hear Avery's comments. **

*73, Kilo Zero Hotel Lima Alpha
Avery ~ CW Forever*
------------------------------
QST Managing Editor Joel Kleinman, N1BKE (SK)

ARRL reports that QST Managing Editor Joel P. Kleinman, N1BKE, of Meriden,
Connecticut, died from injuries received during a house fire. He was 64.
Kleinman was responsible for the coordination, organization, control and
completion of all aspects of QST's editorial content each month. Kleinman's
wife Jayne survived the fire, but is currently in the intensive care unit
of a local hospital. Our hearts go out to the staff of QST as they deal
with this terrible loss.

You can read more about this story on the ARRL website:
http://www.arrl.org/news/em-qst-em-managing-editor-joel-kleinman-n1bke-sk-updated
------------------------------
*A dip in the pool*

It's time to test our knowledge by taking a dip in the pool - the question
pool, that is!

Let's go to a question from the Extra Class pool:

E1E06 asks: *"Who is responsible for the proper conduct and necessary
supervision during an amateur operator license examination session?"*

Your possible answers are:

A. The VEC coordinating the session

B. The FCC

C. Each administering VE

D. The VE session manager

The reason I chose a question related to the VE program is that earlier
this week I talked to some of our blind members who had never considered
becoming volunteer examiners. There is no bar to people with disabilities
joining the VE program, so why not consider volunteering for this very
worthwhile program? The correct answer is C: Each administering VE. When
you get your Extra, you are even more useful to your VE team, because you
can observe and assist in supervising all (Technician through Extra) levels
of testing. Talk with your local VE Team Leader for more information about
how you can be a VE.

Please e-mail handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to comment.* *
------------------------------
*This week @ HQ*

**

*I am still looking for help with the Kenwood TS-590S! I know some of you
own these fine radios, and I'd really appreciate it if you could help us
with some audio tutorials on how to use it. *

*The September digests are in production.  The August CQ audio has been
recorded and is in DAISY format for our blind members. We already have the
Daisy version of August 2012 QST, Worldradio, and QCWA Journal available in
the Daisy section for our blind members. Members using NLS digital
cartridges may receive the digest by Free Matter postal mail. George,
N0SBU, has sent the 4-track tape version out for August.  4-track tape
service ends in December.  *

*DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your callsign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc. <http://www.aph.org/> *

*Digital Talking Book Cartridge Catalog Number: 1-02610-00, Price: $12.00 *

*Digital Talking Book Cartridge Mailer Catalog Number: 1-02611-00, Price:
$2.50*

*Order Toll-Free: (800) 223-1839.*

*The Library of Congress NLS has a list of vendors for the digital
cartridges:
http://www.loc.gov/nls/cartridges/index.html *

*Get it all on line as an alternative:  Visit the DAISY section on the
Handiham website after logging in. *
------------------------------
*Wednesday is EchoLink net night. Note the new time - 1/2 hour earlier
beginning in September. *

*No ham radio license? No radio? No problem! Listen to our net on line
using your computer or tablet/smartphone at 11:00 AM Central Time daily -
Everyone welcome! <http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=9593>*

**

*The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at 19:30 (19:00 beginning is
September) United States Central time, which translates to 00:30 GMT
Thursday morning.  Beginning September 5, there is a time change to one
half hour earlier than before.*

*The 11:00 daily net will be heard at 16:00 GMT. *

*Please note that the camp repeater, W0EQO-R, is no longer available due to
the lack of an IP address. Our single IP has been assigned to W0ZSW-L,
which controls the HF remote station and which gets quite a lot of use. *

*The following EchoLink nodes are always connected to the Handiham
Conference:*

*HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)
KA0PQW-R, node 267582
KA0PQW-L, node 538131
N0BVE-R, node 89680
*

*Other ways to connect: *

*IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

More information about repeaters and nodes may be found at
http://www.handiham.info.*

*A big THANK YOU to all of our net volunteers who keep things running so
well. *
------------------------------
*Around the web*

*[image: Old cathedral radio]*

*Lyle, K0LR, likes a link to old time radio programs:*

*http://www.dumb.com/oldtimeradio/*
------------------------------
*Stay in touch!*

*Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone number changes, or
email address changes so that we can continue to stay in touch with you.
You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or call her at
763-520-0512.  If you need to use the toll-free number, call
1-866-426-3442. *

*Handiham Manager Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or by phone at 763-520-0511.  *

*Mornings Monday through Thursday are the best time to contact us. *

*Answers to many questions about radios, Echolink, nets, and the Remote
Base stations are all at www.handiham.org. *

*Supporting Handihams - 2012. *

*Now you can support the Handiham program by donating on line using Courage
Center's secure website. It is easy, but one thing to remember is that you
need to use the pull-down menu to designate your gift to the Handiham
program.

Step one: Follow this link to the secure Courage Center Website:
https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294&srcid=344

Step two: Fill out the form, being careful to use the pull-down Designation
menu to select "Handi-Hams".

Step three: Submit the form to complete your donation. If the gift is a
tribute to someone, don't forget to fill out the tribute information. This
would be a gift in memory of a silent key, for example.

Thank you from the Members, Volunteers, and Staff of the Handiham System.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, Handiham Manager
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*

*Handiham Membership Dues*

*Benefits of membership:*

*www.handiham.org/membership*

*Handiham renewals are on a monthly schedule - Please renew or join, as we
need you to keep our program strong! You will have several choices when you
renew:*

Join at the usual $12 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal date is
the anniversary of your last renewal, so your membership extends for one
year.

Join for three years at $36.

Lifetime membership is $120.

If you can't afford the dues, request a 90 day non-renewable sponsored
membership.

Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our activities.

Discontinue your membership.

*Please return your renewal form as soon as possible. Your support is
critical! Please help.*

*The Courage Handiham System depends on the support of people like you, who
to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert at 763-520-0532
or email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  *

*Ask for a free DVD about the Handiham System.*

*It's perfect for your club program, too! The video tells your club about
how we got started, the Radio Camps, and working with hams who have
disabilities.  *

*Call 1-866-426-3442 toll-free. -- Help us get new hams on the air.*

*Get the Handiham E-Letter by email every Wednesday, and stay up-to-date
with ham radio news. *

*You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org.
Email us to subscribe:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*

*Handiham members with disabilities can take an online audio course at
www.handiham.org:*

Beginner

General

Extra

Operating Skills

*That's it for this week. 73 from all of us at the Courage Handiham System!
Pat, WA0TDA
Manager, Courage Handiham System
Reach me by email at:
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Radio Camp email:
radiocamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*

*
fill out the paperwork!*

**

*The weekly e-letter is a compilation of software tips, operating
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  for changes of address, unsubscribes, etc.
Include your old email address and your new address.*

*
Courage Center Handiham System
3915 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN 55422