[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 21 September 2011

  • From: Patrick Tice <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:29:40 -0500

This is a free weekly news & information update from Courage Center Handiham
System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.  You
can listen to this news online.

MP3 audio stream:


Download the 40 kbs MP3 audio to your portable player:


Get this podcast in iTunes:

[image: Subscribe in iTunes]


RSS feed for the audio podcast if you use other podcasting software:


 Welcome to Handiham World!

[image: Cartoon guy carring stack of ham radio books = all about ham radio.]

A week from tomorrow (on Thursday, September  29) I will have the
opportunity to do what I value most in amateur radio:  teach a class for my
local radio club.  The topic will be the rules and regulations for the
General Class, so it's not really either a "fun" or "technical" topic.  As
the old saying goes, "it is what it is", and that means that:

1.  There is going to be a lot of memorization involved, and...

2.  It's not the most interesting stuff in the world.

Nonetheless, I will try to keep the class awake for the two hours we will
have to hit the high points related to legal and courteous operation. I plan
to take advantage of the LCD projector and use PowerPoint to make sure that
I stay on subject and on time.  If you have endured really boring PowerPoint
presentations, you are probably stifling the urge to yawn even thinking
about the prospect.  As a teacher, I can use some amusing graphics and tell
a few stories to break the tedium.  Some instructors bring along small bags
of candy - wrapped hard candies are great - and toss them out to the
students as a reward for answering a question. When I talk about the rules,
especially the frequency allocations, I like to emphasize the fun my
students are going to have when they get on HF and start working those
distant stations.  Remember, most of the students will be Technician Class
operators whose only experience is getting on repeater systems.  Most will
never have tried EchoLink or IRLP operation, either. The prospect of a new,
more complicated radio and larger antenna might seem daunting, but why not
present it instead as an exciting opportunity?  As marketing people know, it
is all in how you tell the story.  It can pay off to tell a few stories
about your first DX contact or your Field Day operations. The best one are
the memorable ones where you were surprised by really great band conditions
and worked some amazing DX or when you were able to pass a message that made
a difference to a disaster victim.

Everyone has an interference story.  When you talk about that part of the
regulations, personalize it by saying a few words about what happened to
you.  My story is that I was a young operator, living with my parents, when
I passed my own General exam and was finally able to get on the phone
bands.  All I had was a really basic transmitter, a Knight-Kit T-60.  It
used a really lame circuit that they called "screen grid modulation", and it
more or less (but mostly less) allowed for AM phone operation.  My antenna
was a vertical mounted in the back yard, fed by 50 ohm coax with a tapped
coil at the feedpoint.  It was pretty basic, to say the least.

[image: Knight T-60 transmitter]
*Image:  Knight-Kit T-60 transmitter*

Anyway, I had my new General ticket taped to the wall in my bedroom and was
really excited to get on the air.  I found an open frequency and called CQ.
Now that I have been a ham for decades I know that it would have been better
to listen and join a QSO in progress or listen for someone else's CQ, but I
was really a newbie back then and didn't know any better.  Imagine my
surprise when one day I was out fiddling with the tapped coil at the base of
the vertical antenna, when our neighbor lady across the back fence got my
attention and asked me if I was a ham radio operator.  She explained that
she was hearing my transmissions on top on her favorite AM broadcast
station, WCCO. I was apologizing for the interference, but she stopped me
and told me that it was perfectly all right and that she was interested in
learning about ham radio herself!  It didn't take her long to get her ticket
and for many years afterward she enjoyed getting on the air herself.  Not
every interference complaint is bad, it seems!  Telling a story like that
can add a bit of interest to an otherwise dull topic.  Use your imagination
and keep your students engaged!

For Handiham World, I'm...

Patrick Tice
Handiham Manager
We are headed into part 2 of our end-of-summer good read, but first... [image:
Dr. Dave climbs the tower] Help us win the Dr. Dave Challenge!
Thanks to everyone who has helped us with donations to the Dr. Dave
Challenge so far.  Thanks to Kitty, WB8TDA, for your support.  Nancy and
Walt, KD0LPX, are checking on our progress.

Money is tight these days and we desperately need your support.  Now, thanks
to a generous challenge grant by Dr. Dave Justis, KN0S, we have a chance to
help fill the budget gap.  Dr. Dave will donate $5,000 to the Handiham
System if we can raise a matching amount.  That means we need to really put
the fund-raising into high gear!  If you can help, designate a donation to
Handihams, stating that it is for the "Dr. Dave Challenge".  We will keep
you posted in our weekly e-letter as to the progress of the fund.

Nancy can take credit card donations via the toll-free number,
1-866-426-3442, or accept checks sent to our Courage Center Handiham

Courage Handiham System
3915 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN  55422

Be sure to put a note saying "Dr. Dave Challenge" somewhere in the envelope
or on the note line of the check.  If you donate online as detailed toward
the end of your weekly e-letter, be sure to designate to Handihams and then
send me an email letting me know you donated to the Dr. Dave fund:

Thank you so much for your support!
Late Summer Reading: Becoming a Ham (Part 2)
[image: code key]

Becoming a Ham - Part 2
By T. A. Benham (SK - formerly W3DD, a callsign which has been reassigned.)

*To perk up the late summer ham radio doldrums, the Handiham System proudly
presents its summer serial, a story about one man's experiences in the field
of radio, starting with the first commercial station in the United States,
KDKA in Pittsburgh. Tom Benham, now a silent key but who most recently held
callsign W3DD, was a ham radio pioneer, and being blind didn't even slow him
down! Join us now as Tom's narrative takes us back in time to the early 20th
Century, and the days of crystal radio!*

The FCC pays me a visit

There were two incidents involving the FCC that occurred about this time.
One afternoon there came a knock at the front door. It was a man from the
FCC. "I've come to inspect your log." "Ok," I said, "come out to my radio
room." We were required to keep a record of every transmission. I opened the
file drawer and pointed to the cards. He said, "Pick one at random." I did
and handed it to him. "I can't read this! It's in Braille, or something." "I
keep the log that way." "But, I can't read it." "The law doesn't say how the
log should be kept." "You're right," he replied. "Read this card for me." I
did so and he was satisfied. He stayed a while and chatted about how I got
along. The other incident happened a couple of years later. I received in
the mail a "pink ticket," a warning that I was interfering with a commercial
station on a certain frequency. When I thought about it a while, I realized
the frequency mentioned was exactly twice my operating frequency. After
studying the problem, I discovered that the tuning of the antenna was
seriously affected by rain. The interference was eliminated by carefully
tuning the system so that rain did not cause the second harmonic of my
transmitter output.

Some Special Friends

A Ham friend from this period deserves some attention. He was Bob Maloney of
Perth Amboy, NJ, W2PBY. He appeared in my log on March 9, 1932, and was in
it many, many times until 1938. He and I chatted in CW almost every day. A
good deal of my skill in operating, sending and receiving the code is due to
our contacts. He came to visit a couple of times, staying for a few days
each time. I went off to college in 1934 so we did not have as many contacts
after that except for a visit with him to the huge commercial ship to shore
station at Tuckerton NJ, WSC. I used to listen to it handling messages many
times so I knew its procedures, jargon, and format. It was a Saturday
afternoon, so the place was not busy. In fact, only the operator was there.
After we chatted a while and the operator had shown me everything he could,
I sat down at the operator's position and located the bug and dials. A bug
is a key that sends dots automatically in order to increase sending speed.
It has the official name of Vibroplex, probably the name of the original
one, but there have been several other manufacturers since the first. The
operator showed me the switch which disabled the transmitter, turned it off,
and said, "Go ahead, practice sending and get used to the feel of the
thing." I played around a few minutes sending nonsense sentences and tuned
the receiver a bit. Suddenly I found a ship calling WSC, so without saying
anything, I flipped the switch to "on" and began to answer the ship. The
operator jumped up and shouted, "What are you doing, you can't do that."
Pause. "Oh hell, go ahead, you seem to be making out alright." I always
carried a Braille slate with a file card in it in my pocket along with my
stylus, so I grabbed them with the other hand and put them on the desk. By
this time, the ship had gotten my signal and was ready to reply. He said he
had a message. I sent, "g a (go ahead)." He sent a message at about 25 wpm.
I copied it without trouble, acknowledged and signed off. The operator of
WSC was flabbergasted, jumping up and down with excitement and
congratulations. I said, "Do you want me to read the message to you so you
can get it in your log?" He said, "I have it. I wrote it at the same time,
but read it to see if we agree." We agreed and all was well. You can imagine
my excitement at all that and the pleasure it has afforded me over the years
since. I had a similar experience except not so exciting one other time at
about the same age. I had learned the old Morse code, as I mentioned
earlier, but didn't have a chance to use it. However, one afternoon I was
with a couple of friends when we went to the operating room of W I P, the
station that operates on 610 KHz and is now known as the "Sports" station.
At that time, about 1932, it played music and such, but it was also in
communication with other stations by wire. They used old Morse to
communicate between stations in the network of that time. As we were
standing in the communications room talking, I heard the "sounder" send W I
P W I P. No one paid any attention to it. After about four or five W I P's I
said, "Hey, isn't that your call?" The operator on duty jumped and said, "Oh
my god, yes", and ran to the desk. Of course, I was the hero of the day. One
evening in September of 1938, I came home from a job I had at the time. I
was greeted by Mother who said, "I have some bad news for you. Bob died the
other day. He was only 25. He just dropped over while shaving. Here is a
note from his mother." Of course, that was a sad moment in my life as we had
had so many hours of pleasure together and now I would never hear W2BPY
again. After thinking about it for a few days, I decided I would like to
have something of his as a memento. I wrote to his mother and asked her if I
could have his bug, the telegraph key that he had used all those years. She
sent it to me. I have it on my desk even today beside the one I used then
and still use. Mine is set to be used at 30 words per minute, considered to
be quite fast, and his is set at 22 wpm. I left mine at the speed we always
used after I got good enough, but I set his for 22 wpm because it is
necessary to send at a slower rate some times. Also, some days I don't seem
to be sufficiently alert to keep up the faster rate. Another interesting
friend I came to know quite well was Howard Humpton, W3BY. My log shows I
first contacted him in November, 1931, just after I got started. He lived
close by, so he invited me to his house. I learned he was a ship's radio
operator home on leave. He was not married and lived with his parents when
he was home. He was an excellent CW operator and helped me get my speed up
and my sending as perfect as possible. I finally got good enough at 30 wpm
for him to remark, "Gee, I can't tell whether you are sending or a machine
is doing it." It has always been my ambition to send so that people would
ask if I was using a machine. W3BY was one of my favorite call signs. I
loved to hear it on the air. Howard sometimes called me on the phone. When I
picked up the handset and said hello, and he was sure it was me. I would
hear dot dash dash dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dash dot dot which is
W3DD. He would carry on the entire conversation with his key sending code.
Sometimes I would get my bug and a buzzer and answer in code, too. Of
course, we could have done it over the air just as well. We did many things
together. One evening he took me to Philadelphia to hear and meet Ted Weems
and his orchestra. Naturally, Ted Weems became one of my favorite band
leaders. The piece he did that I liked the most was "Heart Aches" which had
a marvelous whistler featured in it. One evening, in Spring of 1932, he took
me down to the Philadelphia dock area and took me aboard a ship that was
anchored there. I forget the name of the boat and its radio operator, but he
introduced me to both. The station call sign was W N W. I was allowed to
operate it with the hand key, not his bug, and I contacted two or three
ships at sea. I saw Howard, W3BY, off and on for many years. We would
contact each other by Ham radio while he was at sea. He had his Ham station
on board, and he called by phone when he was home on leave. All Hams were
off the air during World War 2, when I began teaching Physics, Electronics,
and Engineering at Haverford College, but were back in action immediately
after. I was very active for a couple of years after the War, but then I got
away from it for a while. I remember running into W3BY two or three times
during those relatively inactive years. In July, 1962, the phone rang and
when I answered it, there was the voice of W3BY. He asked me if I could get
on the air to have a chat. He was staying somewhere near by. He said he had
a station in his car and would call me on a certain frequency at 5:00 PM
that day. I didn't tell him I had no transmitter. My receiver was in good
working condition as I had been using it to contact satellites. So, between
his phone call and 5:00 PM, I hurried to put together some sort of a
transmitter. By schedule time I had a one tube thing with a few watts
output. I called W3BY several times, signed my call, W3DD, and set about to
listen on the agreed frequency. Much to my surprise, a station replied and
signed W5DD. I about fell off of the chair. The long and short of it was
that Howard had lost his original call, W3BY, and requested the F.C.C. to
give him W5DD. Being an old-timer, he was granted the favor and got as close
to my call as he could. His residence was in a state that came under the
fifth district, which is how he got the W5 designation. This event gave me
the incentive to get myself on the air properly, so a Haverford student
helped me build a transmitter kit and put up a proper antenna. When Howard
left Ardmore to go back to his ship, we kept in touch all the way down to
New Orleans, where he was living when ashore. I heard and contacted him now
and then for the next few years. In about 1973, I was talking to a Ham on a
ship just off the north coast of Brazil. He said he was from New Orleans.
Since I hadn't heard from Howard for two or three years, I asked him if he
happened to know W5DD. He replied "Yes, and he was a good friend of mine."
"Was?" I asked. He told me that W5DD had died at sea two years ago. Howard
had always been a rather "sickly" person, always having something bothering
him, so it wasn't a big surprise, but I certainly was sad to think I would
never hear that familiar "fist" again.

Checkers by Ham Radio

In November of 1931, very near the beginning of my amateur radio career, I
contacted W2FJ, a fellow named Francis Beard, who lived in New York state.
We chatted many times over the ensuing months. Since I had learned to play
checkers over the air, I thought it would be fun to start a series with him.
When I asked him if he would be interested and did he have a checker board,
he replied, "Yes, I'm a pretty good player but I don't have a board at
present." I suggested he get one and we could play. "Well," he replied,
"There's a bit of a problem. You see, I'm blind and don't know where to get
a board that I could use on the air." That was the first I knew he was
blind. I replied, "I'm blind too, so tell you what. Give me a week or two
and I will make a pair of boards and suitable men." We discussed how I
should go about it and formulated a design. I built a pair of boards that
had square holes where the men would sit. Then I built two sets of men.
Every man had a square bottom that would fit in the holes only one way. Half
of them had round tops and the other half had square tops. The tops of the
two sets of square men were marked with Braille A through L while the tops
of the round men were labeled M through X. The holes were labeled with
numbers: hole 1 was the upper left, 2 was the square to its right and so on
to 4 in the upper right. Then, beginning in the second row, the left one was
5 and so on to the bottom right square which was 32. When the board was set
to start, holes 13 through 20 were empty. I sent one board and set of men to
Fran W2FJ and kept the other. Now, suppose he chose to be round. He would
put his round-topped men in holes 1 through 12 and the square-topped men in
21 through 32. If it was his move, he would send I-9 to 13. Then he would
make the move and I would make the same move on my board and repeat it in CW
to verify. Then I would move my man and send him the code so he could make
the move on his board. We played the game many times over the years. There
came a time in about 1940 that I didn't hear from him for quite a long time,
so I wrote to his address asking how he was. The reply I received was that
he had been killed in an automobile accident. That was sad news.

A messy experience

Sometime in the late Spring of 1933, just before graduating from Overbrook
School for the Blind, I was invited to be a member of a local Amateur Radio
club. The club was having meetings to study the by-laws and constitution.
One Saturday a meeting was scheduled to be held at a member's house. We
gathered and harangued over the documents for quite some time. About four
o'clock, it was decided to have some refreshments so we all went to the
dining room and sat down to the table. I felt carefully and found there was
a plate in front of me, but I didn't know what was on it. I had not learned
how to proceed on my own in a strange environment, but I was about to get a
good lesson. I listened carefully, and not hearing any utensils being used,
I took hold of what was on the plate thinking it must be "finger food," like
a sandwich. Well, it was gingerbread piled high with whipped cream. I was so
chagrinned I don't remember how I got out of the mess, but I do know that I
didn't try that approach again. After a few years of maturing, I got to the
point where I was not embarrassed to ask questions.

*To be continued...*

[image: dog barking at cartoon mail carrier]

Jeni, KD0CFQ, writes:

The Fall 2011 issue of Constellations is now available online at:

Thanks, Jeni!  Check out the link to find some nice links about reading PDF
files with the JAWS, Window-Eyes, and NVDA screenreaders.

NASA Science News: Sunspots have secret lives!


Troubleshooting 101: TS-2000 stuck in transmit!

[image: Pat and giant alligator]

Mike, W1MWB, writes: Here's my idea for Troubleshooting 101. This happened
to me the other day.

You are running a Kenwood TS-2000 or other similar radio with automatic
antenna tuner and a desk microphone hooked up. One day you fire up the rig
to a frequency on 20 meters where you hear some traffic. As usual, you press
and hold the AT (tuner) button and instead of going back to receive mode
after tuning the antenna, it stays in transmit.

Any ideas?

Email me at wa0tda@xxxxxxxx with your answers and comments.

Patrick Tice
Handiham Manager
Dialog about website accessibility - you can participate!

*From the White House Disability Group: We encourage you to spread the word
about this great opportunity to join the conversation about federal

The federal government wants to re-invent how it delivers information and
services online, and we need your help. We want to bring the best of the web
to the .gov domain. So share your ideas to help us answer: What practices,
policies, and principles should guide federal websites. You can submit ideas
on any of the campaigns from Sept 19 - Sept 30, but we will also be hosting
one hour dialogue-a-thons with our discussion catalysts on each campaign.
You can also follow comments about the dialogue on Twitter under the hashtag

* Accessibility Dialogue-A-Thon on Monday September 26, 3:00 PM ET.* * Read
http://www.handiham.org/node/1219 *
Ham Radio Deluxe rights sold
[image: Ham Radio Deluxe screenshot showing Ic-7200 connected and tuned to
3.925 MHz]

*ARRL is reporting that rights to the popular rig control software suite Ham
Radio Deluxe have been sold. Read the story on ARRL.org:*


HRD includes self-voicing frequency readout, regardless of whether the radio
has a hardware speech module installed. Blind and low-vision users may find
this feature useful.
October 2011 Worldradio Online article features Handiham Radio Camp
[image: Worldradio With the Handihams article screenshot.]

*The annual Handiham Radio Camp is featured in the October, 2011 Worldradio
Online magazine, a publication of CQ. This past August campers gathered from
far and wide to learn better operating skills, earn a license or upgrade,
and have fun on the air. Read more about Radio Camp 2011 by visiting the
Worldradio download site and getting your free copy of the October issue.*


You will find the "With the Handihams" column on page 19.
CHIRP is a free radio programming tool!

* CHIRP is a FREE cross-platform, cross-radio programming tool. *It works on
Windows and Linux (and MacOSX with a little work). It supports a growing
list of radios across several manufacturers and allows transferring of
memory contents between them. Popular radios like the TH-F6A,
KG-UVD1P/UV2D/UV3D, TM-V71A, and many Alinco, Icom, and Yaesu models are

More at:
Remote Base Health Report for 21 September 2011

[image: Kenwood TS-480 transceiver, used in both remote base stations.]

*W0ZSW went off line last week and has not recovered.  We are investigating
a DSL problem that has also taken the camp repeater off EchoLink. W0EQO is
on line. *

We attempt to post a current status report each day, but if you notice a
change in either station that makes it unusable, please email us immediately
so that we can update the status and look into the problem:
wa0tda@xxxxxxxxxx the best address to use.  Please do not call by
phone to report a station
outage unless it is an emergency. Email is checked more frequently than the
phone mail in any case.

W0EQO is on line. W0ZSW is on line as of this publication date.  Users may
choose IRB Sound on the W0ZSW station if they prefer it over SKYPE. The
W0EQO station does require SKYPE, however.  IRB Sound on W0EQO has been
noticed to have dropouts on transmit.

You can view the status page at:
 This week @ HQ

[image: Handiham headquarters at Camp Courage, Maple Lake Minnesota]

   - I will be at meetings all day Thursday and unable to answer phone calls
   or emails.  Nancy will be in the office.
   - Is there anyone reading or listening out there who can suggest how to
   help people who call HQ for EchoLink help?  As I have lamented many
   times, I just don't know how to help people learn EchoLink over the phone,
   nor can I be tech support for EchoLink.  I wish, for example, that I knew
   more about EchoLink with screenreaders, but I just don't know much at all.
   We have the old MP3 files by silent key Dick Chrisman, AB7HW.  These are
   helpful but people have many questions about all kinds of other problems.
   Since we have a daily EchoLink net, our members understandably want to get
   EchoLink installed and working. If you can suggest any ideas to help, I'd
   sure appreciate it!  Does anyone have access to a blind-friendly EchoLink
   guide? *
   - Tentative dates for Radio Camp 2012 are Saturday, June 2 - Friday, June
   8, 2012. This will be earlier than usual so that we can test for Extra under
   the existing question pool, which expires at the end of the last day of
   - CQ Digest audio will not be available for a while due to a change in
   Bob Zeida's reading schedule. Bob, N1BLF, had a fall and is recovering.
   He has completed the October Worldradio audio digest for us and it is posted
   on our website.  We wish him a speedy recovery. Dennis Hardy, K0CCR, is
   going to read the September issue CQ digest.
   - We are working on the rest of the digest audio for our blind members
   and expect to post it this Friday or during the weekend.
   - Matt, KA0PQW, has completed a fourth Wouxun audio tutorial.  This
   latest one talks about the charger and some other side notes.  The series
   is here:
   1. * http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/01-wouxun_ht.mp3
      2. * http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/02-wouxun_ht.mp3   *
      3. * http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/03-wouxun_ht.mp3 *
      4. * http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/04-wouxun_ht.mp3

   Tonight is EchoLink net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at
   19:30 United States Central time, which translates to 00:30 GMT Thursday

   EchoLink nodes:
   - KA0PQW-R, node 267582
      - N0BVE-R, node 89680
      - *HANDIHAM* conference server Node *494492* (Our preferred
      high-capacity node.)

      Other ways to connect:
      - IRLP node *9008* (Vancouver BC reflector)
      - WIRES system number *1427*
      - Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone
   number changes, or email address changes so that we can continue to stay in
   touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   or call her toll-free at 1-866-426-3442. Mornings are the best time to
   contact us.

 Supporting Handihams - 2011.

Now you can support the Handiham program by donating on line using Courage
Center's secure website.

It is easy, but one thing to remember is that you need to use the pull-down
menu to designate your gift to the Handiham program.


   Step one: Follow this link to the secure Courage Center Website:

   Step two: Fill out the form, being careful to use the pull-down
   Designation menu to select "Handi-Hams".

   Step three: Submit the form to complete your donation. If the gift is a
   tribute to someone, don't forget to fill out the tribute information. This
   would be a gift in memory of a silent key, for example.

We really appreciate your help. As you know, we have cut expenses this year
due to the difficult economic conditions. We are working hard to make sure
that we are delivering the most services to our members for the money - and
we plan to continue doing just that in 2011.

Thank you from the Members, Volunteers, and Staff of the Handiham System

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, Handiham Manager

Handiham Membership Dues

Reminder: Handiham renewals are on a monthly schedule - Please renew or
join, as we need you to keep our program strong!

You will have several choices when you renew:


   Join at the usual $12 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal date
   is the anniversary of your last renewal, so your membership extends for one

   Join for three years at $36.

   Lifetime membership is $120.

   If you can't afford the dues, request a 90 day non-renewable sponsored

   Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our activities.

   Discontinue your membership.

Please return your renewal form as soon as possible.

Your support is critical! Please help.

The Courage Handiham System depends on the support of people like you, who
want to share the fun and friendship of ham radio with others. Please help
us provide services to people with disabilities. We would really appreciate
it if you would remember us in your estate plans. If you need a planning
kit, please call. If you are wondering whether a gift of stock can be given
to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert at 763-520-0532 or
email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ask for a free DVD about the Handiham System. It's perfect for your club
program, too! The video tells your club about how we got started, the Radio
Camps, and working with hams who have disabilities.
Call 1-866-426-3442 toll-free.1-866-426-3442 toll-free -- Help us get new
hams on the air.

Get the Handiham E-Letter by email every Wednesday, and stay up-to-date with
ham radio news.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org.

Email us to subscribe:

Handiham members with disabilities can take an online audio course at





   Operating Skills

That's it for this week. 73 from all of us at the Courage Handiham System!


Manager, Courage Handiham System

Reach me by email at:

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:

Radio Camp email:


[image: ARRL Diamond logo]

ARRL is the premier organization supporting amateur radio worldwide. Please
contact Handihams for help joining the ARRL. We will be happy to help you
fill out the paperwork!

The weekly e-letter is a compilation of software tips, operating
information, and Handiham news. It is published on Wednesdays, and is
available to everyone free of charge. Please email wa0tda@xxxxxxxx for
changes of address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address and
your new address.

Courage Center Handiham System
3915 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN  55422

* hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  *

Other related posts:

  • » [handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 21 September 2011 - Patrick Tice