[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 21 July 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:58:26 -0500

System. Please do not reply to this message. Use the contact information at
the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MP3 audio stream:

Get this podcast in iTunes:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Subscribe in iTunes

http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Welcome to Handiham World:

A volunteer summer continues as Larry Huggins, KA0LSG, makes the cover of
Worldradio

Screenshot of Worldradio website showing Larry on the cover.

Larry Huggins, KA0LSG, is right there on the cover of the latest Worldradio
magazine. Way to go, Larry!

The photo is from Handiham Radio Camp, where Larry volunteered as an
instructor. In the Worldradio article, you can read about the
blind-accessible HT that Larry demonstrated to our Operating Skills group.
The article is my annual accessible radio roundup, a quick overview of
radios and their accessibility features.  It is entitled "What's New for the
Operator With Disabilities", and is a feature of my regular "With the
Handihams" column.

"Regular readers know that from time to time I devote a column to what's new
in amateur radio equipment and software that is accessible to people with
disabilities. Most of the questions I get have to do with what is
blind-accessible, both for radio hardware and computing. Our largest single
accessible technology user group is amateur radio operators who have some
kind of reading disability, usually blindness or some degree of vision loss.
I think this is probably a long-term trend as more baby boomers encounter
age-related deterioration of their eyesight. Macular degeneration is
relatively common in older folks and because of its onset late in life can
catch them off guard and leave them wondering if they can still use a
computer or even get on the air effectively anymore."

There are always questions about accessible handheld radios, so this part of
the article is timely:

"Handiham volunteers Larry Huggins, KA0LSG, and Ken Silberman, KB3LLA, both
found the new Wouxun 2m/70cm KG-UVD1P HT at Dayton, and Larry actually had
his radio along to demonstrate to us at Handiham Radio Camp."

Read more on the Worldradio website:

http://www.worldradiomagazine.com

Our thanks to CQ Publications for helping us get the word out about
accessible technology.

For Handiham World, I'm...

Patrick Tice
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

  _____

International Living with a Star (ILWS) meeting ponders solar WX prediction
science

soho_sun.gif

16 July 2010: At the International Living with a Star (ILWS) meeting in
Bremen, Germany, representatives from more than 25 of the world's most
technologically-advanced nations have gathered to hear what scientists
studying in the field have to say.

"The problem is solar storms-figuring out how to predict them and stay safe
from their effects," says ILWS Chairperson Lika Guhathakurta of NASA
headquarters. "We need to make progress on this before the next solar
maximum arrives around 2013."

Read more on the NASA Science News website:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/16jul_ilws/

  _____

QSL cards

Since it is strictly "slow news" for ham radio this time of year, how about
telling us about some favorite QSL cards you have either sent or received
over the years?  A photo or scan would be helpful, if you have one.

W0MGI QSL Card

This old card is from W0MGI, Marv Mahre, who is a member of my radio club,
SARA, the Stillwater Amateur Radio Association.  Marv ran a printing
business for many years, and produced beautiful QSL cards. Retired now, he
enjoys radio club nets, and is often heard on the "top band", 160 meters, on
1.902 MHz.  What I like about this card is that it is not a cookie cutter
style;  it has a cartoon drawing of Marv pounding a J-38 Morse code key with
his clenched fist, a big smile on his face. He also tells us about his
interest in railroading and calls himself a "Railfan", a railroad hobbyist.
Why not use your QSL card to convey some interesting information aside from
the details of a contact on the air? That's what makes Marv's card
memorable.

So what do you have?  Send it to wa0tda@xxxxxxxx with your comments.

  _____

Feedback

cartoon dog barking at postal carrier

Joe, KA9OPL, writes about his TS-480 audio tutorials:

When you have time, check out my tutorial (3 parts) at:
<http://www.joeleah.com/ts480.html>
http://www.joeleah.com/ts480.html

73, Joe, KA9OPL

John, K7VE, writes about the Wouxun radio review in Worldradio:

Nice review in WorldRadio -- you may not be aware or just failed to mention,
the KG-UVD1P also can be purchased in a 144/222 version. It is dual band,
but there is a choice between 144/440 and 144/220 -- I own the 144/220
version and use it for local repeaters and it performs very well. The 222
capable version can be purchased at a couple of places including
www.wouxun.us (no affiliation other than purchasing my radio from this
vendor).

John D. Hays Amateur Radio Station K7VE  <http://k7ve.org>
http://k7ve.org

  _____

Podcast subscription button added

We have added an iTunes button on the front page of the public Handiham
website and also on the index page of the Member website.  Get this podcast
in iTunes:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Subscribe in iTunes

http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Old spark gap transmitters explained

In this video, now silent key Bruce Kelly, W2ICE, explains how spark gap
transmitters work in the Antique Wireless Association museum. We think they
really mean it when those signs say "high voltage" and "danger". The audio
is self-explanatory, so if you are blind you can still enjoy the 4 minute
presentation:

http://www.handiham.org/node/891

  _____

This week @ HQ

*       Pat, WA0TDA, says: I will be at Camp Courage HANDIHAM HQ on
Thursday, July 22 working on station infrastructure as we continue our
remote base project. I will be out of phone and email contact for most of
the day.
*       Tonight is net night!  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at
19:30 United States Central Daylight time, which translates to +5 hours, or
00:30 GMT Thursday morning during North American Daylight Time. In the
winter, the GMT schedule is +6 hours. Connect from any Internet-enabled
computer in the world, and come out on Twin Cities repeater N0BVE on
145.450.

EchoLink nodes:

KA0PQW-R, node 267582
N0BVE-R, node 89680
HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

Other ways to connect:

IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone number
changes, or email address changes so that we can continue to stay in touch
with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or call
her toll-free at 1-866-426-3442. Mornings are the best time to contact us.

  _____

Supporting Handihams

graphic showing figure using wheelchair holding hand of standing figure

Center's secure website.

.         Step one: Follow this link to the secure Courage Center Website:
https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294
<https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294&srcid=344> &srcid=344

.         Step two: Fill out the form, being careful to use the pull-down

.         Step three: Submit the form to complete your donation. If the gift
is a tribute to someone, don't forget to fill out the tribute information.
This would be a gift in memory of a silent key, for example.

  _____

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, Handiham Manager
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Handiham Membership Dues

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal
date is the anniversary of your last renewal, so your membership extends for
one year.

.         Join for three years at $30.

.         Lifetime membership is $100.

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for
the year.

.         Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our
activities.

.         Discontinue your membership.

Your support is critical! Please help.

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert at 763-520-0532 or
email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hams on the air.

ham radio news.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org
<http://www.handiham.org/> .

Email us to subscribe:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<http://www.handiham.org/> www.handiham.org:

.         Beginner

.         General

.         Extra

.         Operating Skills

Pat, WA0TDA

Manager, Courage Handiham System

Reach me by email at:
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Radio Camp email:
radiocamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

ARRL Diamond logo

fill out the paperwork!

your new address.

.         By wa0tda at 07/21/2010 - 19:11

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment%2Freply%2F892%23comm
ent-form>  to post comments

.         Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/892>  version

.         Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/892>  to friend