[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 20 October 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:23:24 -0500

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen to this news online:

MP3 audio stream:

Get this podcast in iTunes:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Description: Subscribe in
iTunes

http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Welcome to Handiham World!

It's time for a new HF net - Part 2

Last week we said : We need at least consider moving our HF net to 160, 75,
or 40 meters, and those bands are likely to be most useful in the evening.
Because 160 requires a very long antenna, it is impractical for many users.
40 can get crowded, but requires the shortest antenna of the three. Of
course we can consider reviving our 17 meter "non-net roundtable", which was
originally started by Alan, K2WS, but the sun will have to spit out a few
more spots for that band to get where it needs to be.  So what do you think?
160?  75?  40?  Or something else?  And what about the time and day?

Interestingly enough, the 75 meter band seems to be favored so far. More
than one respondent has suggested that we would have the best chance of
success in the Extra Class segment of the band. The reason cited was that
the General segment is crowded in the evening when the band is open to
longer distance communications and thus most useful for our purposes.

I think we can agree that the 160 meter band is "out" because of the antenna
requirements.  40 is a good alternative because of its propagation
characteristics, but the phone portion of the band is less than half that
available on 75 meters and there is no doubt that it will be difficult to
find some open real estate for an evening net. Besides, we already have the
CW net on 7.112 MHz.

So what do you think? A 75 meter net in the evening to be in the Extra
portion of the band? Remember, only participants with Extra Class licenses
would be able to transmit, but anyone could listen. We could initiate a
"check in by email", or some similar system, which I have heard on other
nets, to accommodate those without transmit privileges. Another idea would
be to have the Handiham Radio Club as the net sponsor. We do need regular
HRC activities, aside from a single meeting at Radio Camp during the year.

Weigh in! I hope to hear from you about these suggestions soon. Please drop
me an email, and I'll share your thoughts with our readers and listeners.

73,

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham Manager  <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

  _____

QST Reviews Wouxun KG-UVD2 & KG-UVD1P Talking Handheld Radios

The Wouxun KG-UVD1 talking HT created quite a stir at Hamvention in May,
both for its low price and for its built-in speech access for the blind. As
I stated in a previous story, "Handiham volunteers Larry Huggins, KA0LSG,
and Ken Silberman, KB3LLA, both found the new Wouxun 2m/70cm KG-UVD1P HT at
Dayton, and Larry actually had his radio along to demonstrate to us at
Handiham Radio Camp."

We have had many questions about this radio, but details on its overall
quality and functionality were mostly anecdotal. That has changed with a QST
review of the latest versions of the KG-UVD2 & KG-UVD1P talking handheld
radios by Bob Allison, WB1GCM, ARRL Test Engineer. Bob's article appears in
the November 2010 QST, which will be available to blind Handiham members in
the upcoming Friday audio updates in the Members Only section of the
Handiham website. QST is also produced in audio through the Library of
Congress National Library Service and will be available for the new NLS
digital players, available to those who qualify for services. The NLS
version of QST is the complete magazine without advertising, but it takes
some time to produce and is typically around a month later than the print
mailing or Handiham digest version.

Resources:

Wouxun website:
http://wouxun.us

User guide pages (online manuals):  <http://wouxun.us/Manuals/>
http://wouxun.us/Manuals/

Wouxun KG-UVD1P Tips And Hints For Eyes-Free Operation by Buddy Brannan,
KB5ELV:
<http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/wouxun_kguvd1p_manual_by_kb5elv
.txt>
http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/wouxun_kguvd1p_manual_by_kb5elv.
txt
Wouxun company website (China):  <http://www.wouxun.com/>
http://www.wouxun.com/
  _____

A dip in the pool

No one told you there was going to be a quiz, right? I thought it would be
fun to pick a question out of the question pool and see how many of us can
remember the right answer. Ready? Here we go:

T2C10
What is the preamble in a formal traffic message?
A. The first paragraph of the message text
B. The message number
C. The priority handling indicator for the message
D. The information needed to track the message as it passes
through the amateur radio traffic handling system

Did you pick answer D, The information needed to track the message as it
passes through the amateur radio traffic handling system? That's the right
choice, and something you should know about basic message handling.

  _____

FCC SEEKS NOMINATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP ON TWO EMERGENCY ACCESS ADVISORY
COMMITTEES

Released: 10/19/2010. FCC REQUESTS NOMINATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP ON EMERGENCY
ACCESS ADVISORY COMMITTEE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY
COMMUNICATIONS AND VIDEO ACCESSIBILITY ACT. (DA No. 10-2001).

Contact: Cheryl King at (202) 418-2284, email:
<mailto:email:Cheryl.King@xxxxxxx>
Cheryl.King@xxxxxxx  or Patrick Donovan at (202) 418-2413, email:
<mailto:email:Patrick.Donovan@xxxxxxx>
Patrick.Donovan@xxxxxxx,  TTY: (202) 418-0416

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-2001A1.txt

Released: 10/19/2010. FCC REQUESTS NOMINATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP ON VIDEO
PROGRAMMING AND EMERGENCY ACCESS ADVISORY COMMITTEE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE
TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY COMMUNICATIONS AND VIDEO ACCESSIBILITY ACT. (DA No.
10-2002). CGB . Contact: Pamela Gregory at (202) 418-2498, email:
Pam.Gregory@xxxxxxx  or Alison Neplokh at (202) 418-1083, email:
Alison.Neplokh@xxxxxxx,  TTY: (202) 418-1169

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-2002A1.txt

  _____

Echolink developer K1RFD to be on TIPSnet on October 26 on HANDIHAM node

TIPSnet is proud to announce that our guest on October 26 will be Jonathan
Taylor, K1RFD. This will be a very good net for all of us to listen to.
Jonathan is the developer of the EchoLink voice-over-IP (VoIP) linking
system. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, currently living in Ridgefield, CT.
He has been a licensed ham since 1974, holding the Amateur Extra license
since 1979.

Jonathan is also the author of the ARRL book, "VoIP: Internet Linking for
Radio Amateurs", the standard reference for both the IRLP and EchoLink
systems. Now in its eighth year of operation, the EchoLink system has grown
to nearly 200,000 registered Amateur users in 162 nations worldwide.
Jonathan's favorite on-air activities are CW DXing and contesting, traffic
handling, FM and repeaters, and HF/VHF digital modes. He has received the
ARRL Technical Innovation Award and the Dayton Hamvention Special
Achievement Award in 2003, and was named to the CQ Magazine Hall of Fame in
2005. Also, an instrument-rated private pilot.

(Excerpts from LIMARC HRU bio)

Spread the word, TIPSnet 10/26/2010.

Fostering International Friendship Through Amateur Radio C

TIPSnet meets every Tuesday 7:30pm to 8:30pm local time (EST) 0030z-0130z on
several RF linked repeaters throughout New England, including the *SPARC*
system, our RF HUB, in West Haven, CT. Connection is via the 147.505/146.505
repeater, with input (-1 Mhz PL 77.0) National and International connections
are welcome via the New England Gateway - EchoLink Conference *NEW-ENG2*
(node # 9127) and IRLP *New England Reflector* 912, Channel 7 (node # 9127),
also the *DODROPIN* Conference server Node # 355800 and *HANDIHAM* node
#494492. Streaming audio available at http://new-eng.com Click "LISTEN
LIVE".

Thanks

73

John West N1IWT TIPSnet Program & Publicity Manager www.tipsnet.org
Email: n1iwt@xxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

Remote base progress report: 20 October 2010

The new control computer has been configured. I will be taking the computer
out to Camp Courage on Thursday, October 21. Last week there was an outage
during updates to the old machine.  I'm not sure if I will install the new
one tomorrow or wait until the rig and other equipment can also be switched
out.

Would you like to try the station right now?

If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to listen to the
radio, you can search for W0ZSW-L, node 524906, and connect. Entering a
frequency and pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's
receive frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper
sideband, Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is that
EchoLink control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only
available if there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base
software.

Don't forget about our station at Courage North, in far northern Minnesota's
lake country. If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to
listen to the radio, you can search for W0EQO-L, node 261171, and connect.
Just as with the other station, entering a frequency and pressing the enter
key will allow you to change the radio's receive frequency from the EchoLink
text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper sideband, Lower sideband, or AM,
respectively. One thing to remember is that EchoLink control only works on
receive, not transmit, and it is only available if there is no control
operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base software.

  _____

This week @ HQ

*       I will be at the headquarters station location at Camp Courage on
Thursday.
*       This week's Friday Technician audio lecture will be on the subject
of power supplies and batteries.
*       A big thank you to our net control stations  for "saying yes" and
volunteering for this leadership role. We really appreciate your help and
everyone has noticed that the nets are running more smoothly than ever.

Tonight is net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at 19:30 United
States Central Daylight time, which translates to +5 hours, or 00:30 GMT
Thursday morning during North American Daylight Time. In the winter, the GMT
schedule is +6 hours. Connect from any Internet-enabled computer in the
world, and come out on Twin Cities repeater N0BVE on 145.450.  If there is
no designated Net Control, there will be a simple roundtable net.

EchoLink nodes:

KA0PQW-R, node 267582
N0BVE-R, node 89680
HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

Other ways to connect:

IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or
us.

  _____

Supporting Handihams - Year-end is a critical time.

standing figure

Center's secure website.

.         Step one: Follow this link to the secure Courage Center Website:
https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294
<https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294&srcid=344> &srcid=344

.         Step two: Fill out the form, being careful to use the pull-down

.         Step three: Submit the form to complete your donation. If the gift
is a tribute to someone, don't forget to fill out the tribute information.
This would be a gift in memory of a silent key, for example.

  _____

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, Handiham Manager
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Handiham Membership Dues

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal
date is the anniversary of your last renewal, so your membership extends for
one year.

.         Join for three years at $30.

.         Lifetime membership is $100.

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for
the year.

.         Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our
activities.

.         Discontinue your membership.

Your support is critical! Please help.

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert at 763-520-0532 or
email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hams on the air.

ham radio news.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org