[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 2 February 2011

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:33:42 -0600

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen to this news online:

MP3 audio stream:

Get this podcast in iTunes:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Description: Subscribe in
iTunes

http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Welcome to Handiham World!

Squawk! Polly want a cracker!

That's what a parrot says, at least in the cartoons, right? Parrots are
great imitators when it comes to hearing something and quickly learning to
repeat it.  That's why we say someone is "parroting" when they simply repeat
what they have heard. Believe me, if someone is accused of parroting when
they are speaking, it is not a compliment.  It means that the speaker is
repeating what was heard without really thinking about what they are saying.

I hear plenty of parroting on the air.  My pet peeve is one I heard again
this week: "Of course EchoLink isn't real ham radio."

Excuse me? Do the people who keep repeating this over and over again like
parrots really know what they are saying?  Have they thought it through? I
submit that they haven't, and would like to back up the bus a bit here and
ask them to answer these simple questions:

.         Is an amateur radio license required for the legal use of
EchoLink?

.         Could you get into trouble because you violated FCC rules when
using EchoLink?

.         Does a voice transmission on EchoLink use the public airwaves?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Oh, sure, it is possible to have a computer to computer conversation on
EchoLink, but it can quickly segue into an on the air conversation when
another station joins on a connected repeater or simplex node. But those are
the easy questions.  Now, here's a hard one that I want to ask the "EchoLink
isn't real ham radio" parrots:

.         Why isn't EchoLink "real" ham radio?

Take your time, EchoLink detractors.  Think about it.  I'm pretty sure there
isn't a really simple answer to parrot back to THAT one.

If the answer is that you don't actually go on the air with EchoLink, well,
that's not true. You can, and do.  If it's because a computer is involved,
does that mean that SSTV and RTTY are not real radio?  Those modes use
computers as integral parts of the station. If it's because EchoLink doesn't
fit a narrow, preconceived notion of what constitutes ham radio, well, THAT
I would believe.  Which brings me to the next question, also not an easy
one:

.         So what IS "real" ham radio?

This is not easy to answer.  If you say that it is only about sitting in
front of an HF radio connected to a beam antenna and working DX without
using a computer or the Internet, you are going to get objections from
operators who control their radios with Ham Radio Deluxe and who check that
application's built-in DX spotting feature. If you try to limit real ham
radio to a particular mode, you will certainly hear from others who have
enjoyed radio for years and who never used that mode. Anyone who operates a
radio at a distant location by the use of an Internet remote base control
point would also beg to differ.

The way I look at it, ham radio is like a big tent where there is room for
lots of different interests and ways to have fun. In fact, I would suggest
that even builders and experimenters who prefer designing and building their
own gear are "real" radio amateurs even if they seldom get on the air. There
is really no point in telling someone else who enjoys a different activity
that what they like doing is somehow less valid or real than what someone
else does. That's why I try really, really hard to think about what I say
before I say it.  Remember, once it goes out over the air, it is impossible
to keep others from hearing it!

Besides, thinking before you speak could actually make you seem pretty wise.
I think I'll leave the mindless repetition to the parrots and just get on
the air and encourage others to enjoy ham radio in its many different
facets. Get on, have fun.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham System Manager <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

  _____

Skype study hall

Last week we mentioned that we have an ongoing need for some kind of forum
in which technical assistance or study assistance can be offered to our
members. One idea that crossed my mind was to run a Skype conference with up
to 10 participants. This would allow a number of people to discuss some
topic of interest in a small group setting in a more private forum than one
could find on EchoLink, for example.

I have completed a page in the members only section of the Handiham website
to guide users.  It is found by going to the member section, then the "Audio
this week" link, and then the "Handiham Skype Conference" link.

  _____

Running out of entertaining club projects?

Did you drive your mom nuts when you were a kid and the weather outside was
rotten and you were bored?

"MOM, there's NOTHING to do."

Yeah, me too. It might have been a rainy day or maybe the snow was piling up
outside but it was too windy or cold to actually go out to play in it.  Good
old Mom could always think of something to distract us brats. Games and
projects were high on her list.

Well, one great idea that my local ham radio club is trying this week is a
group activity where participants diagnose malfunctioning amateur radio
gear.  On the "test bench" (which will really just be a table in the public
library meeting room) will be not one, but two - TWO - malfunctioning manual
antenna tuners.  There will be a few small hand tools and test instruments
available to help diagnose and (hopefully) repair the two "patients".

This kind of activity would really be fun at Radio Camp this summer,
wouldn't it?  I would love to get this kind of activity set up in a small
group environment so that we could put our heads together and try to figure
out some basic fixes for radios or accessories.  Meanwhile, a great big "way
to go" to the Stillwater, Minnesota Amateur Radio Association for coming up
with this mid-winter project to keep us kiddies from being bored!

More at the SARA website:   <http://www.radioham.org>
www.radioham.org

  _____

Letters: I send my Leo birthday QSL, Free software alert, and a lost HT
finds its way home.

Pat, WA0TDA, says: Here is my QSL card that is on the way to Leo, W0GFQ.
What is it all about?  Here's the original letter from...

Bob, N0UF, who writes:

Hi Everybody,

On Feb 24th QCWA Chapter 154 in West Palm Springs is celebrating Leo
Meyerson's 100th birthday. For those who don't remember, Leo owned and
operated World Radio Laboratories in Council Bluffs, IA for many years. So
here's the plan: take a QSL card, write 'Happy 100th Birthday Leo' on it and
send it to:

Leo Meyerson, W0GFQ
19 Park Lane
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

Gene Pentecost, President of Chapter 154 will make sure they get to the
party so everyone who attends can enjoy them. One last thing, tell every ham
you know to do the same thing, QCWA member or not. Spread the word, at every
radio club meeting you attend, at every net you check into. I want Leo to
get hundreds, maybe even thousands of cards.

Thanks & 73,

Bob Roske, N0UF
President QCWA

Lyle, K0LR, writes:

Handiham member WA0CAF told me about this site:
<http://tinyurl.com/free-security>
http://tinyurl.com/free-security

Editor's note:  I checked the link and it points to a link page for free
computer security software from all sorts of manufacturers. The site is
"Gizmo's Freeware". Dick, WA0CAF, also sent me a link to the NVDA website,
which is trying to raise some money to keep that free open source
screenreader going.  Find it at:
<http://www.nvda-project.org/blog/NVDANeedsYou>
www.nvda-project.org/blog/NVDANeedsYou

Bob, W8ULM, writes:

Having my call letters show up on the turn-on screen of my HT may have
allowed me to get it back.

About three weeks ago I lost my Kenwood TH-F6A HT while getting in to a
pickup truck near the radio station where I work. I wasn't initially sure
where it had been lost on a particularly busy day that involved several
trips and stops within 15 miles of my home. I checked with local pawn shops
and police lost and found folks, but no one had turned in anything looking
like it. Today a local police officer stopped by with my Kenwood in hand. He
said it had been found by a pedestrian a couple days ago. They couldn't find
any identifying markings on it, but when they turned it on, my call W8ULM
showed up on the screen. Since Ulm is my last name, they figured it might be
mine. Amazingly, though it appears the Kenwood was outside in the snow for
about two weeks, it is none the worse for wear and powered up and worked
immediately. I also didn't have channel ID tags on the various police and
security channels I have in the rig, which may have kept someone from
thinking it might have value to them. Kenwood does make one heck of an HT
and if I ever lose this one for good, I'll be getting another one, making
sure to put my call letters on the screen again.

Bob Ulm, W8ULM

  _____

Seen on the radio club reflector:

Question: Are there any shop and swap nets that anyone knows of? (This
question applies to 75 m in the Upper Midwest.)

Answered by George, N0SBU:  The Traders net on Sunday is at 08:30 CST on
3.908 MHz. There is a Shriners net just before the Traders net.

  _____

Audacity

Years ago, when I first started using a computer to record audio, I found a
great, easy to use, and reasonably-priced software program to use as my
recording software.  That company eventually sold out to someone else, and
the software finally got out of date. I decided to look at open source
software, and found Audacity.  Audacity is a free, open-source audio
recording program that runs on several different platforms.  I use Windows,
so I downloaded and installed the Windows version.  As I said, this was
years ago, and I've been delighted with Audacity ever since.  In fact, I use
it several times each week to record our podcasts and audio lectures, as
well as the magazine digest.

One question I have gotten from time to time is, "Will Audacity work for a
blind user?"

The answer is yes, and there is a special website for blind users.  You can
find a "Wiki" for blind Audacity users at:
<http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_for_blind_users>
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_for_blind_users

If you are looking for the software itself, you will want to visit the main
Audacity page on Sourceforge.net:  <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/>
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other
operating systems, according to the website, which means that it is probably
the most versatile cross-platform recording software that exists.

  _____

A dip in the pool

Today's dip into the question pool is not a question you will be asked on
any of the exams.  It is this:

What is the current schedule for each of the three question pools to be
valid?

Whoa!  I'll bet you weren't expecting that, were you?  Do you know when each
pool expires, and especially which one expires this summer?

Here are the answers:

Technician class (Element 2) Pool is effective July 1, 2010 and is valid
until June 30, 2014.

General class (Element 3) Pool is effective July 1, 2007 and is valid until
June 30, 2011. (That means this pool will be replaced with a new one on July
1, 2011.)

Extra class (Element 4) Pool is effective July 1, 2008 and is valid until
June 30, 2012.

  _____

Remote base progress report: 2 February 2011

Both stations are functional. Report problems to wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

Would you like to try the station right now?

If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to listen to the
radio, you can search for W0ZSW-L, node 524906, and connect. Entering a
frequency and pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's
receive frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper
sideband, Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is that
EchoLink control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only
available if there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base
software.

Don't forget about our station at Courage North, in far northern Minnesota's
lake country. If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to
listen to the radio, you can search for W0EQO-L, node 261171, and connect.
Just as with the other station, entering a frequency and pressing the enter
key will allow you to change the radio's receive frequency from the EchoLink
text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper sideband, Lower sideband, or AM,
respectively. One thing to remember is that EchoLink control only works on
receive, not transmit, and it is only available if there is no control
operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base software.

  _____

This week @ HQ

*       Radio Camp will be from Monday 8 August to Saturday 13 August, 2011.
*       QST & Worldradio digest audio for February 2011 is available to our
blind members.
*       A new Technician lecture on interference will be ready on Friday.
*       George, N0SBU, is working on the February digest.

.         Our nets have really been running well! I have to complement our
net volunteers for doing such a great job, and our net participants for
joining us on the air often and showing such good support for our on the air
activities.  A special thanks to pinch-hitters who have stepped in when the
regular scheduled NCS could not make it.

.         Tonight is EchoLink net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net
is at 19:30 United States Central time, which translates to +6 hours, or
01:30 GMT Thursday morning.

o    EchoLink nodes:

*       KA0PQW-R, node 267582
*       N0BVE-R, node 89680
*       HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity
node.)

o    Other ways to connect:

*       IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

*       We need an Echolink, IRLP, or WIRES node in Rochester, MN so that
Sister Alverna, WA0SGJ, can continue to check into the Handiham net. There
is no one to take on this project at the moment.
*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or
us.

  _____

Supporting Handihams - 2011.

standing figure

Center's secure website.

.         Step one: Follow this link to the secure Courage Center Website:
https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294
<https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294&srcid=344> &srcid=344

.         Step two: Fill out the form, being careful to use the pull-down

.         Step three: Submit the form to complete your donation. If the gift
is a tribute to someone, don't forget to fill out the tribute information.
This would be a gift in memory of a silent key, for example.

  _____

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, Handiham Manager
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Handiham Membership Dues

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal
date is the anniversary of your last renewal, so your membership extends for
one year.

.         Join for three years at $30.

.         Lifetime membership is $100.

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for
the year.

.         Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our
activities.

.         Discontinue your membership.

Your support is critical! Please help.

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert at 763-520-0532 or
email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hams on the air.

ham radio news.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org