[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 17 November 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:40:09 -0600

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen to this news online:

 <http://www.handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Description: Subscribe in
iTunes

 <http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham> http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

In this edition:

.           We bid a friend goodbye.

.           How about the Advanced Band?

.           A dip in the pool

.           E-Book on Propagation released

.           Remote base progress report

.           Hlibok will be FCC Disability Rights Chief

.           Bookshare adds ARRL Tech Manual

.           This week at HQ

.           Supporting Handihams

  _____

Dr. Tom Linde, KZ0T, Silent Key

Handiham Radio Camp in California.

Dr. Tom Linde, KZ0T, long time Handiham member and volunteer, became a
silent key on Monday 15 November 2010 at 1:30 AM. Tom died peacefully in his
sleep at home with family members at his side.

As you might expect, Tom and I met each other through amateur radio. I'm not
sure when Tom was first licensed, but his accomplishments in amateur radio
were pretty amazing and included working all states on 6 meters, something I
haven't done and many of us will never do in our entire amateur radio
careers. Yet Tom, whose speech was compromised by his disability, managed to
train himself to speak the necessary amateur radio jargon and call signs
clearly so that he could accomplish this feat. He made use of Morse code and
always enjoyed the competitive and also the social aspects of amateur radio.
When I started with the Handiham staff at Courage Center in 1992, it wasn't
long before Sister Alverna O'Laughlin, WA0SGJ, told me about "Dr. Tom". He
had been in Handihams since the late 1970s, and had made a name for himself
on the amateur radio bands.

When I first met Dr. Tom, I had to listen up when he spoke. His CP made it
difficult for him to form the words clearly, but he was never offended if I
asked him to repeat something or say it in a different way so that I would
understand. His accomplishments outside amateur radio included earning his
PhD in psychology and having a full working life as a professional
psychologist. Family was always important to Tom, and he raised his family
in the heartland of Iowa with his wife Ann, who preceded him in death nine
years ago.

I quickly learned from Tom that he was interested in helping others through
the Handiham program. As a volunteer, he assisted at our radio camp
sessions, teaching in operating skills so that he could share his experience
with other Handiham members who had disabilities. He was also pretty darned
good at inspiring those Handiham members who had trouble dealing with their
disabilities. After all, as a psychologist he had heard every excuse in the
book why the glass was half empty instead of half full, and he knew better
from his own life experience. It was hard to complain that you couldn't do
something when Dr. Tom showed you by example that it could indeed be done
and that even a severe disability would not stop you from reaching your
goals.

Dr. Tom taught at a number of radio camps in both California and Minnesota.
He joined the Stillwater Amateur Radio Association where he made many
friends, and was active on the air, even trying new things like wheelchair
mobile HF operation.

One of the most interesting things I have ever seen was not actually part of
amateur radio at all. It was when Dr. Tom conducted the Minnesota Symphony
Orchestra. Lyle Koehler, K0LR, built a robotic conducting system so that the
members of the orchestra could see and follow flashing lights as Dr. Tom
directed them. Tom was truly a renaissance man who loved music and art and
would frequently catch you off guard with his wry and cerebral sense of
humor. He published a book about his life that will carry on inspiring
others to overcome their disabilities and accomplish their goals. "I Am Not
What I Am: A Psychologist's Memoir: Notes On Controlling and Managing
Personal Misfortune" is available through Amazon.com in print and in spoken
word audio from the Handiham system for our blind members. The ISBN-13
designation is: 978-1420867633. I strongly recommend this inspiring book.

His son Peter, N0EDI, in a touching tribute, remembers his father in his 80
years of life as all of these things:

A Son,
A Brother,
A Husband,
A Father,
A Grandfather,
A Student,
An Extra Class Ham Radio Operator,
A Ph.D. Psychologist,
A Published Author,
An Artist,
A Music Lover,
A Guest Conductor of the Minnesota Symphony Orchestra,
A Traveler,
A Teacher,
A man who pushed the boundaries of CP farther than anyone thought possible,
Ultimately, he was My Dad, without whom I would not be the person I am
today.

Memorial services are currently being planned for Rapid City, SD and
Sheboygan, WI. Tom, a generous spirit giving even in death, requested that
his body be donated to help medical science. There will be a headstone in
Knoxville, IA, next to his Wife (Ann) and youngest son (Matt), who preceded
him in death.

We will miss the kind wisdom and positive outlook that KZ0T brought to
Handihams and to the airwaves. I count myself privileged to have been his
friend.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham System Manager

  _____

How does 3.715 to 3.720 MHz sound?

We have been informed that the Eye Bank Net and the "Country Cousins" meet
on 3.970 MHz.  Well, it seems there is already way too much activity in the
General portion of the 75 meter band, so we have no choice but to head for
our next possibility, the Advanced segment. Pierre, K9EYE, is on 75 meters
quite a bit from the Chicago metro area and he suggests a frequency around
3.720 MHz. I listened last night and heard some stations in a regular QSO on
that frequency, but there was some free real estate a few kilohertz below
that, say around 3.715.

So let's start listening on and around both of those frequencies and logging
results. We would like to get this going before the end of the month.

Ron, K0IC, responding to Avery's suggestion about a Midwestern slow-speed CW
net, writes: "I like the idea of an 80 meter slow speed net. Someone needs
to listen around for the best channel as there are CW nets there after 6 PM
or so. Maybe the ARRL online net directory would help? Again the Extra class
sub-band would be ideal for me."

Please e-mail me this week with your frequency and time suggestions,
frequency reports, and other suggestions about the net.

Handiham Manager  <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>

I thought it would be fun to pick a question out of the question pool and
see how many of us can remember the right answer. Today we tap the General
pool. Ready? Here we go:

G2D11 asks us: Which HF antenna would be the best to use for minimizing
interference?

Your possible answers are:

A. A bi-directional antenna
B. An isotropic antenna
C. A unidirectional antenna
D. An omnidirectional antenna
Did you pick answer C, "A unidirectional antenna"?  That is the best answer,
although in some circumstances a bi-directional antenna can reduce
interference as well. The unidirectional antenna maximizes
signals in one direction only, making it the best choice, especially if it
is used with a rotor system so that you can turn the antenna to the point of
maximum desired signal and minimum noise.
  _____

RSGB E-Book on Propagation released by Steve G0KYA, and Alan, G3NYK

This comes to us via KB3LLA  from the NASA Goddard Amateur Radio Club (GARC)
and WA3NAN.

Steve G0KYA and Alan G3NYK, of the Radio Society of Great Britain's (RSGB)
Propagation Studies Committee, have released a free eBook called
'Understanding LF and HF Propagation' . In 2008 and 2009 Steve and Alan
wrote a series of features on LF and HF propagation for the RSGB's "RadCom"
magazine. The features consisted of a month-by-month look at each HF band in
turn, showing the reader the propagation modes behind each band and
explaining some of the technicalities of ionospheric propagation.

Steve says: "I looked at the D, E and F layers, Sporadic E, the MUF/LUF,
using solar data, propagation programs, NVIS and much more. Alan then took
over and wrote three detailed features on LF propagation. We are told that
the features were well-received and as a result I have managed to persuade
the RSGB to allow me to put them together into a single document, which is
now freely available for amateurs worldwide to download."

You can download your free copy of "Understanding LF and HF Propagation" at:
<http://www.g0kya.blogspot.com>
www.g0kya.blogspot.com

See the entry for November 9 or follow this direct link:
<http://g0kya.blogspot.com/2010/11/understanding-lf-and-hf-propagation.html>

http://g0kya.blogspot.com/2010/11/understanding-lf-and-hf-propagation.html

  _____

Remote base progress report: 17 November 2010

Today I have meetings, and will probably only have time for a check of the
antenna system.

Would you like to try the station right now?

If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to listen to the
radio, you can search for W0ZSW-L, node 524906, and connect. Entering a
frequency and pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's
receive frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper
sideband, Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is that
EchoLink control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only
available if there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base
software.

Don't forget about our station at Courage North, in far northern Minnesota's
lake country. If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to
listen to the radio, you can search for W0EQO-L, node 261171, and connect.
Just as with the other station, entering a frequency and pressing the enter
key will allow you to change the radio's receive frequency from the EchoLink
text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper sideband, Lower sideband, or AM,
respectively. One thing to remember is that EchoLink control only works on
receive, not transmit, and it is only available if there is no control
operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base software.

  _____

Gregory Hlibok named chief of the FCC's Disability Rights Office

Washington, DC -- Gregory Hlibok, currently an attorney in the Disability
Rights Office (DRO) in the Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau, has
been named to head that office.

"Greg will be heading up the Disability Rights Office at a crucial time, as
the FCC ramps up to implement the most significant disability law in two
decades," said FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski. "Greg possesses extensive
knowledge in the field of telecommunications access for people with
disabilities as well as the leadership qualities necessary to lead the
office. He will be the first head of DRO who has a disability. Under his
direction, the office will work to ensure that people with disabilities can
share fully in the economic and social benefits of emerging 21st century
technologies."

Greg has been instrumental on a wide array of disability matters in DRO
since 2001. He is known nationally for his role as spokesperson for the Deaf
President Now movement in 1988, which led to the selection of Gallaudet
University's first deaf president. Gallaudet is the world's only university
serving primarily deaf and hard of hearing students. At the FCC, he has
taken the lead in several key rulemaking proceedings on telecommunications
access for people with disabilities, including new initiatives on the
National Broadband Plan. Greg now lives in Ellicott City, MD with his wife
and four children, and also serves as the board president of his alma mater,
Lexington School for the Deaf. He is a graduate of Gallaudet University and
Hofstra Law School.

In addition to its new duties in implementing the new Act, the Disability
Rights Office has responsibility for a variety of disability-related
telecommunications matters, including telecommunications relay service
(TRS), access to telecommunications equipment and services by persons with
disabilities, access to emergency information, and closed captioning. DRO
also provides expert advice and assistance to other Bureaus and Offices,
consumers, and industry, in order to support the Commission's goal of
increasing the accessibility of communications services and technologies for
persons with disabilities.

  _____

Technician License Manual added at Bookshare

The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual (2nd edition) by Ward Silver, otherwise
known as the ARRL Tech book, is used by many radio clubs as the text for
their Technician licensing classes. This book is now available in DAISY from
www.bookshare.org, and is recommended for Handiham members studying along
with our on line audio lectures. The book was released this year in order to
keep pace with the Technician Pool update of 1 July 2010. Only persons who
qualify for Bookshare.org services may order the DAISY book. The print
version is available from the Handiham System, your ham radio retailer, or
directly from www.ARRL.org.

*       This week's Friday Technician audio lecture will be on the subject
of band plans.
*       I am at Handiham Headquarters at Camp Courage on Wednesday
afternoon, but will be at meetings and away from the phone.
*       A big thank you to our net control stations  for "saying yes" and
volunteering for this leadership role. We really appreciate your help and
everyone has noticed that the nets are running more smoothly than ever.

.         Tonight is net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at
19:30 United States Central time, which translates to +6 hours, or 01:30 GMT
Thursday morning.

EchoLink nodes:

HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

*       We need an Echolink, IRLP, or WIRES node in Rochester, MN so that
Sister Alverna, WA0SGJ, can continue to check into the Handiham net. Chris,
KG0BP, has shut down his node because he has moved to the Twin Cities.
*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or

Supporting Handihams - Year-end is a critical time.

standing figure

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

.         By wa0tda at 11/18/2010 - 01:24

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment%2Freply%2F974%23comm
ent-form>  to post comments

.         Printer-friendly version <http://www.handiham.org/print/974>

.         Send to friend <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/974>