[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 15 September 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:03:17 -0500

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen to this news online:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Subscribe in iTunes

Back at work!

The Handiham World weekly is finally back at work after a couple weeks of
rest & relaxation. While the e-letter went on holiday, I also took my
vacation at exactly the same time.  What a coincidence!

Pat poses in front of Eiffel Tower

In the accompanying photo, I am posing in front of something that would make
a perfect ham radio antenna support - the Eiffel Tower. My XYL and I made
the trip to celebrate our anniversary, and she was a saint to put up with my
obsession with ham radio and antennas. According to Wikipedia, "The tower
stands 324 meters (1,063 ft) tall, about the same height as an 81-storey
building."  Just imagine the signal you could get out with a multielement
Yagi antenna on top, right?

As nice as it is to travel, it's always great to be back. Today will be
mostly filled with member contacts like phone calls and emails, because I
have quite a backlog. I hope to get our audio magazine digest updated either
later today or perhaps tomorrow if I run out of time today, but rest assured
I will eventually catch up - in the meantime, I am coping with the jet lag
by draining out the entire coffee pot.

One of the most fun things was checking in to the PICONET on 3.925 MHz via
the Handiham remote base from France and Italy. This is certainly proof that
a remote base station can be useful when setting up antennas or traveling
with lots of radio gear is simply not practical. I also enjoyed making some
Echolink contacts, including a check in on the daily Handiham net. These
days, one does not need to give up regular operating just because you are
staying in a hotel. These new ways to use technology enhance our options to
use ham radio, and I'm sure thankful to all of our volunteers and supporters
who make it possible. The best thing about ham radio for me has always been
staying in touch with my community of friends.  In order to get through all
of the calls today, this edition will be a bit shorter than usual, but
hopefully still worth a few minutes of your time.

Handiham Manager  <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>

Noteworthy

My email inbox is pretty crammed but a couple of items of note are worth a
shout-out:

*       A reminder that our friends at the TIPSnet are back from their
summer hiatus. The TIPSnet meets at 7:30 pm  EDT time (23:30 UTC) on
Tuesdays and can be heard on a variety of Echolink nodes including the
*HANDIHAM* conference. More details may be found at:
www.tipsnet.org.
*       A great review of the Amazon Kindle found by WA0CAF in the Blind
Access Journal:  <http://blindaccessjournal.com/?p=949>
http://blindaccessjournal.com/?p=949
*       Also from WA0CAF, audio on computing by Dean Martineau:
<http://www.topdotenterprises.com/sc/sc.htm>
http://www.topdotenterprises.com/sc/sc.htm
*       The Mysterious Case of the Withering Filters, sent to me by KA0PQW,
as found on the SV8YM Blog: "The ceramic variety of filters found in almost
all telecommunications equipment are indeed extremely useful components.
Small, cheap and efficient, those 'little black boxes' have found widespread
use by all the manufacturers. I used to think that they're almost
indestructible, because I had never seen one of them fail - but this fact
has changed." What the article warns about is the failure to include DC
blocking capacitors in line with these ceramic filters found in a number of
newer ham transceivers, and their possible deterioration and failure.  This
results in the receiver section of the radio "going deaf".  Check it out:
<http://sv8ym.blogspot.com/2010/07/mysterious-case-of-withering-filters.html

http://sv8ym.blogspot.com/2010/07/mysterious-case-of-withering-filters.html
*       MOSI Amateur Radio Club link sent to me by KI4LEH: "You have reached
the Museum of Science and Industry's Amateur Radio Club - KM0SI, located in
the main building on the 2nd floor in Disasterville, look for the "Disaster
Communications Bus." Our physical address is: 4801 East Fowler Avenue,
Tampa, Florida 33617. Stop by for a visit and check out MOSI, if a volunteer
is in the "Shack" stop by and learn a little about amateur radio or if you
are a "Ham" stop by and say hi. If you are a "Ham" you can also give us a
call on the MOSI Repeater at 443.000 (+) (PL-146.2). We also monitor 442.550
(+) (PL-100) the NI4CE Riverview Repeater as well as our Echo Link Node at
468359. Want to learn more?
http://mosihamradio.org/

  _____

September Events by N1YXU

Events by N1YXU

I know that Fall has arrived when I look at our calendar in the kitchen. My
husband, Bruce (N1LN), writes the amateur radio contests on our calendar to
make sure that I don't schedule us for something else. Beginning in
September and continuing for a few months, the calendar starts to get filled
with contests! If you are a contester or interested in finding out more
about them, be sure to look through this month's events page.

I hope that each of you had a pleasant summer. As we all get back into our
Fall routines, be sure not to neglect your radios. There are plenty of
activities that should pique your interest.

Until next month..

Regards,
- Laurie Meier, N1YXU
n1yxu@xxxxxxxx

Read the N1YXU Events at:  <http://www.handiham.org/node/924>

Participants Wanted for a Research Study on The Effects of Changes in
Personal Care Assistance Hours or Services

Personal care attendant with client, pushing wheelchair

Have you experienced or do you know someone who has experienced a change in
Personal Care Assistance (PCA) hours or services in the past few months?

The purpose of this research study is to evaluate the effects of loss or
reductions in PCA hours or services.

. This research study includes information about people of all ages who have
been receiving PCA services under Medicare or County Waiver.

Read more at:  <http://www.handiham.org/node/922>

Remote base progress report: 15 September 2010

Kenwood TS-570

While I was on vacation, Eliot, KE0N, visited the W0ZSW HF remote base
station and replaced a malfunctioning automatic antenna tuner. We thank him
for the loan of his own LDG AT-100PRO tuner until we can get one of our own.
In addition, the station has now been reconfigured to operate at its full
100 Watt potential, rather than the 50 Watt setting we had been using during
the beta testing period. We are pleased to report that everything has been
going very well and there have been no failures since the power was bumped
up. The internet connection has also stayed solid since we replaced a bad
DSL modem.

Would you like to try the station right now?

If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to listen to the
radio, you can search for W0ZSW-L, node 524906, and connect. Entering a
frequency and pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's
receive frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper
sideband, Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is that
EchoLink control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only
available if there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base
software.

*       Thanks to Nancy for holding the fort while I was out of the office.
What a trooper!
*       AWOL stories: My Outlook file is messed up, and I have discovered
that messages I'd intended to use as e-letter stories have simply
disappeared. The odd thing is that I'd get the message in my inbox as usual,
then move it to my "e-letter news" folder in Outlook, after which it
disappeared to who-knows-where. Thus, some stories that our readers sent me
have gone AWOL and I have no idea where to find them. My apologies if you
have sent me something and it never appeared.  Now you know what happened.
*       Tonight is net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at
19:30 United States Central Daylight time, which translates to +5 hours, or
00:30 GMT Thursday morning during North American Daylight Time. In the
winter, the GMT schedule is +6 hours. Connect from any Internet-enabled
computer in the world, and come out on Twin Cities repeater N0BVE on
145.450.  If there is no designated Net Control, there will be a simple
roundtable net.

EchoLink nodes:

HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or

Supporting Handihams

graphic showing figure using wheelchair holding hand of standing figure

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

<http://www.handiham.org/> www.handiham.org:

ARRL Diamond logo