[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 15 June 2011

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:28:22 -0500

System. Our contact information is at the end
<unsaved://Untitled_1.htm#Contact> , or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen to this news online:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Description: Subscribe in
iTunes

Wondering about this photo of me getting grabbed by a giant alligator? I've
used it many times before on a variety of occasions, but this time it's
especially apropos because time is flying by and there are some important
dates that are approaching a little bit too fast for some of us!

Here we are halfway through the month of June already. That means we
definitely have to pay attention to two important ham radio events, ARRL
Field Day and the transition to the new The General Class question pool for
all examinations after June 30. Field Day happens on the weekend of June 25
- 26. You still have time to volunteer with your local amateur radio club to
help with planning, set up, and operation. I have operated many Field Day
stations over the years and have had lots of fun. As I have mentioned in
past years, what you want to do is find a club or group of other amateur
radio operators who share your goals for the contest. If you are highly
competitive and want to be in it for the points, you will want to pick a
group with a no-nonsense approach to efficient operating. If you are like me
and just want to have fun and really don't care about your score all that
much, you are going to be pretty unhappy if you are pressed to work lots of
stations instead of having fun socializing or perhaps helping to run the
GOTA (get on the air) station. So if you don't care to rack up the points,
be sure to make that clear to your other group members so that you are
creating reasonable expectations when Field Day rolls around. The thing
about Field Day is that it has always been part contest, part social get
together, part emergency communications practice, and often times a good
excuse for a family picnic. Since points are also given for getting a story
about your Field Day operations in the media, the event also serves as an
excellent way to showcase amateur radio to the general public. My own local
club, the Stillwater Amateur Radio Association, has decided to locate its
Field Day event in a local park and nature preserve. It offers the advantage
of easy access and parking for the participants and general public, and it
is also in an excellent, air-conditioned wheelchair-accessible building that
will allow anyone to get right up to the stations and find out what is going
on. Yes, it is true that we are not going to be using emergency power nor
are we going to be setting up in an actual field. But our vision of Field
Day includes getting as many people as possible to participate and to make
it easy for the general public to stop by and see what we are doing. Some of
our field locations in the past have been pretty rugged and visits by the
general public were few and far between. Of course in those locations we
were able to use portable power sources like generators and put up long wire
antennas and even towers with beams. The thing about Field Day is that it is
such a flexible event that you can pretty much make it what you want to be.
So whether you are in it for the points or in it for the fun of just making
an occasional contact and showcasing amateur radio, you can plan on having a
great weekend of ham radio fun.

Following shortly on the heels of Field Day is July 1, the first day on
which the new General Class question pool is in effect. If you have been
studying for your General Class license, now, and I mean today, is when you
have to start looking for a VE session so that you can take your exam under
the old question pool. Although it is not a disaster if you miss this
deadline and have to test under the new pool, there are new questions in the
upcoming pool for which you haven't studied. It is far better to get the
test out of the way ASAP so that you can start looking around for an HF
radio and planning your new HF antenna system. If you have put off studying
and are not sure whether to attempt the test or not, I suggest that you head
for one of the online testing sites such as AA9PW.com and take some practice
exams. I would say that if you pass two out of three times, you may be ready
to take a chance on the real thing. If you are failing the tests by many
points, forget it; you have to hit the books and take the test under the new
question pool after you have had sufficient time to prepare.

There is one other thing happening on July 1 that probably only affects us
here in Minnesota, and that is the prospect of a State government shutdown.
We have a divided government here in Minnesota, and the legislature and
governor have not been able to agree on a budget. This must be done by June
30, or at least part of the State government will have to shut down. Because
our parent organization, Courage Center, provides services for people with
disabilities, there will be a definite effect on us as an organization as
there will be on other healthcare organizations and nursing homes here in
the State of Minnesota. While the Handiham program does not depend on
government funding, significant parts of other Courage Center programs do.
In the upcoming weeks Courage Center is planning what to do in the event of
a government shutdown and loss of funding for a portion of our clients. If
you think about it, it makes sense to plan for the worst-case scenario while
hoping for the best. It is already quite late and much planning has already
taken place, but the fact of the matter is that no one knows exactly what
will happen in a State government shutdown. We will keep you posted on
anything that affects the Handiham program. Radio Camp will continue as
planned, because our Handiham services are not government-funded.

gives him a treat when she stops by!

Anne, K1STM, writes about her sudden exit from last night's TIPSnet session:

In case you're wondering what happened, a very good friend's daughter called
telling me her mother and guide dog were hit by a car while out for a walk.
My friend, Nancy, is fine.  Her dog, Simon, broke the bones in his foot and
has a tender stomach.  He is in the animal hospital, Nancy is home. They
were at the end of a driveway near their home when a car suddenly started
and backed up fast and hit them, throwing Nancy down and Simon under it.
Nancy didn't have time to finish crossing the driveway and the driver
apparently didn't look.  We think Simon saved Nancy's life.  What a night!

Anne, K1STM
TIPSnet Manager

Editor's note:  We are sure happy to hear that your friend Nancy and her dog
Simon are going to be okay.  In some ways, even with the awareness of good
pedestrian safety practices and better driver training, pedestrians and
wheelchair users are at more risk than ever.  There are a lot of distracted
drivers out there, busy talking on cell phones or fiddling with the radio.
If you drive, make operating your vehicle your first priority.  If you are
walking or using a wheelchair remember that even though you may have the
right of way not all drivers are responsible and careful.

  _____

Troubleshooting 101: The junk box - is it obsolete?

In the course of a conversation I had with a Handiham member recently, the
topic of spare electronic parts came up. That got me to thinking how the
Handiham shop has changed over the years and how the traditional ham radio
operator's junk box has changed right along with it. 20 years ago, when I
started with the Handiham program, we had a very well stocked collection of
vacuum tubes and discrete electronic components in our electronic repair
shop. We had a cadre of around a half dozen dedicated volunteers led by
chief volunteer Rex Kiser, W0GLU, and the repair shop was staffed several
days a week. Back in those days, donated electronic equipment was usually
tube-type and was generally considered to be "repairable" unless it had been
dropped from a 10 story building or run over by a truck. Most of the
components were discrete, meaning that if a capacitor went bad it was
possible to trace it and replace it. The same went for vacuum tubes, a
common source of failures in equipment of that vintage. Naturally it was
practical and necessary to maintain a well-stocked collection of electronic
parts and repair manuals for a variety of common and not so common pieces of
amateur radio equipment. The shop volunteers had pretty much "seen it all"
and were familiar with all of the common problems in the amateur radio
equipment of that era. Some of the donated gear that came into the shop had
been modified by its previous owner, but the shop volunteers were pretty
much able to figure out just about anything and make it right. The old shop
was in the basement of the Courage Center in Golden Valley, Minnesota.
Golden Valley is adjacent to Minneapolis and thus was a relatively
convenient location for volunteers to get to so that they could work in the
shop. I don't remember exactly how many square feet of space was devoted to
the shop, but I can tell you that there was a significant amount of both
working space with large, well-let workbenches and another separate area
with many shelves to store donated equipment, gear that was in the process
of being repaired but waiting for something or other, and equipment that was
ready to be sent out in the equipment loan program of the day.

Everything is so much different today. Most of our volunteers, including
Rex, have become silent keys. It has been so very hard to lose so many good
friends over the past two decades. In some ways, their passing reminds me of
my father's working life and what has transpired since he passed away in the
1980s. Dad was a typewriter repair man, and in the last quarter century
since he died, so has the typewriter, at least in any form in which he would
recognize it. Technology has changed amateur radio just as radically as it
has the typewriter business.

The amateur radio equipment of today is often not considered to be
user-serviceable. Tiny integrated circuits and surface mount components are
packed onto dual-surface circuit boards. It has become very, very difficult
to trace and diagnose problems in this new equipment. When repairs are
necessary, one simply packs the equipment up and sends it back to a service
center for repair or replacement. Even at authorized service centers repairs
usually consist of replacing entire sections of the radio because it is
often times not practical to trace problems down to a single bad component.
On the plus side, this new equipment with its solid-state surface mount
technology is far more reliable than the old equipment and as a result will
likely never need repairs.

So the Handiham repair shop has pretty much ceased to exist. About all that
can be done these days is to diagnose at a very basic level, and that means
simply giving a piece of donated equipment a "thumbs up" if it is working or
a "thumbs down" if it is not. It would be impossible to maintain a supply of
discrete parts or even modules for all of these new radios. Furthermore, the
test equipment available to us is simply too basic to be used in any
practical sense to repair serious problems. Since all of this change has
happened to the Handiham shop, I think it is reasonable to expect that
similar changes have taken place in your own workshop in the basement or the
garage! You may have quite a collection of vacuum tubes, radio hardware, and
discrete electronic components. I have some of that stuff myself, but I am
hard-pressed to think of the last time I made use of any of it. When
something needs fixing, it had better be something pretty basic like a
dipole antenna or a manual antenna tuner if I am going to actually attempt
any repairs myself. I don't own a single radio with a vacuum tube in it
anymore and the radios that I do own have been extraordinarily reliable
because of the solid-state design and good engineering decades of
improvement have brought to the amateur radio manufacturers. So maybe it is
time to take a look at my own ham radio junk box and try to decide what to
save and what to get rid of. This, as you might expect, is not going to be
an easy task. For one thing, some of the old parts and frankly "junk" that I
have collected over the years will simply never be any good to anyone in any
practical sense. That means disposing of it, but because we are more aware
of environmental consequences these days, one may have to dispose of old
electronic parts through an electronics recycler. The days of simply
pitching everything into the trashcan are gone forever. Where I live, my
local county government has a recycling center that will take electronic
parts, so at least I know that if I do a little sorting I can dispose of
them without too much hassle.

The hard part is really the sorting. How do you decide what to get rid of
and what to keep? If there is one thing I have observed over the years about
the typical ham radio operator, it is that most of us think that there will
be a use for every single item in our junk box collection at some time in
the future. This is where you have to think things through before you start
and develop a strategy for the kind of repairs you intend to do in the
future. For example, since I no longer own any vacuum tube gear, I am going
to get rid of any vacuum tubes that I find in my collection. I probably only
have one or two left, so that shouldn't be any problem. I have several tubs
of unsorted oddball hardware. Yes, I could take a week off of work and burn
some vacation time sorting through that junk, but why? Like as not, if I
have a need for a particular piece of hardware, such as replacement
stainless steel nuts and bolts for an antenna project, I am probably going
to make a trip to the hardware store anyway rather than spending hours
sorting through my tubs of hardware junk. Wire, if it is in actual usable
lengths and properly rolled up and stored, can come in useful. You never
know when you might want to put up another antenna or use the wire to add
ground radials or to repair a dipole system. Coaxial cable deteriorates in
the weather, so it never hurts to save a partially-used spool in your
collection. That is the sort of practical stuff that one can save without
feeling guilty about being a junk collector. On the other hand, those old
carcasses of broken radios and military-surplus chassis that you had
cannibalized for parts in 1975 really don't need to be in your parts
collection anymore, do they? If you haven't used something in the last few
years, you are probably never going to use it and you should think about
getting rid of it. Yes, getting a table at a hamfest is one option, but I
have never really understood the practicality of dragging 500 pounds of old
junk to the high school gym, putting it on a table for people who don't need
it any more than you do to look at, and then stuffing it all back into the
trunk of the car and hauling it all home again that afternoon. It's probably
better to do some simple networking at your ham radio club meeting to see if
anyone wants something from your collection and is willing to take it off
your hands. I've always felt that it is better to repurpose than throw away,
but sometimes the only practical thing to do is to simply make the decision
to clean up the junk box and the workshop and be done with it!

What should the workshop and parts collection of the 21st century ham look
like?

Well, it's going to be pretty lean and mean, that's for sure. You are going
to have a good tool collection and some basic test instrumentation, just as
you have had in the past. You are not going to have boxes and boxes of
assorted electronic junk and hardware that you are never going to use. It is
okay to have a few basic components that are actually useful, such as
connectors, fuses, and common hardware. Think about it: if you are really
going to build one of those projects you see in one of the amateur radio
publications, you are going to go to a company like Digi-Key and simply
order the parts you need online or by calling on the phone. In fact, that is
probably what you have to do already even if you have shelves and shelves
and boxes and boxes of old hardware and electronic parts already in your
collection, because none of that old junk is going to do you any good in the
new project anyway. Furthermore, having lots of old unnecessary junk around
can actually get in the way of enjoying building a new project. It is simply
a fact that modern technology is going to require fewer repairs than old
technology and the repairs that must be done will probably have to be done
in a factory service center anyway. Of course there are exceptions to every
rule. If you are one of those amateur radio hobbyists who are interested in
vintage equipment, it may be practical and necessary to maintain a stock of
vacuum tubes. Most of us have newer equipment and, if you are like me, too
much old junk lying around that you will never use. I have been an amateur
radio operator for over four decades, so I have had plenty of time to
collect a sizable junk box. Since at one time I did own vacuum tube
equipment and user-repairable radios, it made sense to have a collection of
parts. Today those radios are long gone and replaced with modern equipment,
but the junk box still has those old parts. I know that I am not alone in
having this kind of collection in my workshop. Over the years in my work
with the Handiham System I have run into some mind-boggling collections that
have taken up entire basements and then some. Some people are just
collectors, I guess! I prefer the lean and mean approach to the modern ham
radio workshop. That's why I've been paring down my junk collection and
concentrating on keeping just what I need to do regular maintenance on my
antenna systems and to do simple repairs. If I'm going to build the project
I'm going to order new parts and get on with it. That is the practical,
modern approach to the ham radio workshop.

Send your ideas about troubleshooting for possible inclusion in this column
to:

FCC announces first nationwide test of Emergency Alert System

First Nationwide Test of the EAS

By: James A. Barnett, Jr., Chief, Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau

June 9th, 2011

Early warnings save lives. This was demonstrated recently and dramatically
during the major earthquake and tsunami that devastated Eastern Japan.
Except for Japan's early warning systems, loss of life would have been much
higher. Here at the FCC, we have a series of initiatives to ensure that
similarly effective alerting systems are available here in the U.S.

A new era in alerting will commence on November 9, at 2:00 p.m. EST, when
the FCC and our federal partners, the Federal Emergency Management Agency
(FEMA), and the National Weather Service, will conduct the first ever
top-to-bottom, nation-wide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS). This
test is vital to ensuring that the EAS, the primary alerting system
available to the American public, works as designed.

Read the entire post on the FCC website:
http://www.fcc.gov/blog/first-nationwide-test-eas

  _____

Where can I find a weather spotter's guide?

There is a weather spotter's guide available on line, directly from the
National Weather Service. It is in accessible PDF format, which includes
embedded text that may be read by screenreading software.

Find the Basic Spotters' Field Guide at:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/brochures/basicspot.pdf

When you are ready for the next level, check out the Advanced Spotters'
Field Guide:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/brochures/adv_spotters.pdf

Holy cow! The new General Pool goes into effect in only two weeks.  Let's
look at some of the new questions on frequencies:

G1A06 asks:  Which of the following frequencies is in the 12 meter band?
Possible choices are:

A. 3.940 MHz

B. 12.940 MHz

C. 17.940 MHz

D. 24.940 MHz

G1A07 asks: Which of the following frequencies is within the General Class
portion of the 75 meter phone band?  Possible choices are:

A. 1875 kHz

B. 3750 kHz

C. 3900 kHz

D. 4005 kHz

And finally, G1A08 asks: Which of the following frequencies is within the
General Class portion of the 20 meter phone band? Possible choices are:

A. 14005 kHz

B. 14105 kHz

C. 14305 kHz

D. 14405 kHz

Let's see how you did.

On the 12 meter band, answer D, 24.940 MHz, is correct. Don't be fooled by
the 12.940 MHz option - we have no frequencies available in the 12 MHz
range, and that distracter was put in there just to see if you know the
difference between wavelength in meters and frequency in MHz.

For 75 meters, there are two choices that actually fall within the 75 meter
band allocation. The correct one is C, 3900 kHz, because the other one, 3750
kHz, is not in the General Class part of the band, even though it is open to
those holding Advanced or Extra licenses.

On the 20 meter question, be sure to pay attention to the part that asks
what General Class frequency is in the phone band. The right answer is C,
14305 kHz, which is in the phone band.  Although General Class ops can use
14105 kHz, that part of the band is for Morse code, RTTY, and data.

Also, be sure you review how to convert MHz to kHz, since both units are
used in the question pool. 3900 kHz is the same as 3.900 MHz. You have to
remember the rule you learned in school about which way to move the decimal
point.

  _____

Remote Base Health Report for 15 June 2011

Both stations are operational.

Remote Base health report: W0EQO is on line. W0ZSW is on line, now with
Echolink receive access. We have replaced the sound card and the station is
now ready for digital modes. You can read the complete status page at:
<http://www.handiham.org/node/1005>
http://www.handiham.org/node/1005

We did have an issue with the RF gain control being set way down on W0EQO.
Please, if you are going to change these controls, be thoughtful and return
them to their normal settings when you are finished with the station.

*       Listen for an announcement on the Handiham net tonight.  One of our
members has an idea about how to increase activity on Field Day!
*       I will be at Camp Courage Thursday and will be away from the phone
as I do maintenance on our computer and station equipment.
*       Reminder: New General Pool: Bob Zeida, N1BLF, has completed his
recording of the new General Class Question Pool with only the correct
answers. It is available in the members only section and is divided into
subelements, with each subelement in MP3 format. The link page describes
what is covered in each subelement so that you can easily go to the sections
you want to hear by topic.
*       Introduction to the new General Audio lecture series begins this
coming Friday.
*       The audio magazine digest:  Worldradio, CQ, QST, and AMSAT Journal
audio is available for our blind members.
*       Handiham membership has gone up slightly from $10 to $12.  We have
not increased dues in many years.
*       Radio Camp will be from Monday 8 August to Saturday 13 August, 2011.

*       Handiham Radio Camp to feature Wouxun radios for our new
Technicians!
Come to Radio Camp, get your first license, and go home with a new radio. If
you are a Handiham member and are studying for your Technician level amateur
radio license, you should consider attending Handiham Radio Camp, which will
be a wonderful opportunity for you to review what you have studied and take
the exam in a completely accessible environment. Our campers who earn their
Technician Class Amateur Radio licenses at camp will be presented with
brand-new dual-band handheld radios, thanks to the support of a generous
donor. The radios are by Wouxun, and operate on the 2 m and 70 cm bands,
which are the most popular repeater bands. Since these radios also include
voice prompts in plain English, they are especially preferred by blind
users.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to attend Radio Camp and then go home with a
brand-new radio?

We sure think so! If you are not a Handiham member and are interested in
joining us, here is a link to request a membership application:
http://www.handiham.org/node/729

If you are already a Handiham member and would like a radio camp
application, call toll-free 1-866-426-3442 and request a camper application.
You may also download the application package or contact us by email to ask
a question or request a camper application:
<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*        <http://handiham.org/files/camp/mn_camp_2011_cover.pdf> Download
the camp cover letter in PDF
*       Download a self-extracting zip file with the complete radio camp
application package <http://handiham.org/files/camp/mncamp2011.exe> , or
*       Download a zip file with the complete radio camp application package
<http://handiham.org/files/camp/mncamp2011.zip> .

*       If your email program does not display links, go to our website:
<http://www.handiham.org/node/358>
Although you may not live nearby Camp Courage, we do pick up campers at the
Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport. Campers come from anywhere and
everywhere, so even if you live far from camp you will have the opportunity
to join us for this fun and unique session. All campus buildings are modern
- although we are a camp, no one sleeps in a tent or has to eat beans out of
a tin can! Our facilities are modern and include wireless Internet access
and modern construction. All facilities are wheelchair-accessible.

Handiham Radio Camp 2011 is at Camp Courage - Woodland Campus - August 8-13,
2011 and serves Handiham members ages 16 and older.

Enjoy an experience of Ham radio fun and learning. Make new friends while
building an on-air community that continues after you leave Radio Camp. Get
a first Ham radio license or upgrade a current one, or learn new operating
skills. Keep abreast of the latest technology, including assistive
technology. Wireless internet access is available. Instructors are
experienced amateur radio operators from throughout the nation. Trained
staff members provide personal care assistance. And, we leave plenty of time
to take a break from studying and enjoy traditional camp activities.

.         Tonight is EchoLink net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net
is at 19:30 United States Central time, which translates to +5 hours, or
00:30 GMT Thursday morning.

o    EchoLink nodes:

*       KA0PQW-R, node 267582
*       N0BVE-R, node 89680
*       HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity
node.)

o    Other ways to connect:

*       IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or

Supporting Handihams - 2011.

standing figure

.         Join at the usual $12 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a 90 day non-renewable
sponsored membership.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org