[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 14 September 2011

  • From: Patrick Tice <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:07:47 -0500

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.  You

[image: Subscribe in iTunes]

[image: cartoon family holding hands]

Helping others learn about ham radio or work on their radio equipment and
antennas has always been an important part of amateur radio.  Indeed, being
a mentor, one who helps other operators succeed in reaching their amateur
radio goals, is a long-cherished tradition. Sometimes we hear this kind of
helper called an "Elmer".  If you are curious about how that came to be, you
can find an excellent explanation on the ARRL website.

But that's not exactly what I'm thinking about today. This is something
that's a little bit more subtle, and it has to do with figuring out when
people might need help, and in how best to communicate with them.

Okay, so here's the deal:  It is easy to make mistakes by assuming that
others know the things that you know. Of course sometimes we also assume
that we know something, when in fact we really don't have the whole story or
even have the facts completely wrong.  Furthermore,  people perceive things
differently, so I might look at a situation and come to one conclusion while
you look at that very same situation and come to another conclusion.
Mistakes, sometimes huge ones, happen all the time because of such
misunderstandings. They happen everywhere, too. Government, industry,
educational institutions, engineering projects, public safety… You name it;
mistakes can happen anywhere when people fail to communicate clearly and
make assumptions that perhaps we shouldn't be making quite so readily!

Consider these points:

   -

   Common sense is relative.  Odd as it sounds, so-called "common sense" can
   be quite different from person-to-person, culture to culture, age to age… In
   fact, I am almost tempted to think there really is no such thing as "common
   sense". I can remember being told one time that I was lacking in common
   sense and yet another time that I had an exceptional amount of common sense!
   How can both of those statements possibly be true? Of course what really
   happened was that a person who understood something in a certain way and
   discovered that I did not understand or perceive the situation in the same
   way he did then felt that I didn't have any common sense. In his universe,
   everyone would understand that situation or concept exactly as he did.
   Naturally the opposite happened when another guy told me that I had lots of
   common sense, but what he really meant was that I was pretty smart because I
   understood the situation or concept exactly the same way that he did. Common
   sense is determined by life experience. People will have different life
   experiences because they have been born and raised in different geographical
   areas at different times and in different cultures. When you are talking
   about electricity and electronics, you cannot simply assume a "common sense"
   understanding of even the most basic underlying concepts. Yes, we might
   assume that everyone understands basic electrical safety, such as never
   putting one's body between a voltage source and ground, but does a person
   from a culture where electricity isn't common understand that? Does a small
   child? How about an elderly person visiting the ham shack?  Or even your
   neighbor from down the block?  The fact of the matter is that you simply
   cannot assume that everyone has the same common knowledge that you do or
   that you yourself necessarily have the common knowledge that might be
   considered very basic in the world of academia or engineering. In other
   words, you have to be cautious and thoughtful when communicating amateur
   radio concepts as a mentor. The person with whom you're working does not
   necessarily understand things – even basic things – about electricity and
   electrical concepts the same way you do.
   -

   When people say that they understand, it isn't necessarily so.  I'll bet
   all of us have been in the situation where we have been sitting in a
   classroom listening to the teacher telling us all about a concept that is
   complicated and new to us. The other people in the classroom seem to be
   following along with the lecture and understanding the concepts, so a person
   who doesn't quite get what is going on can feel self-conscious about asking
   a question. Even if the teacher stops to ask if there are any questions, a
   self-conscious person might simply nod their understanding and hope whatever
   the teacher talked about doesn't show up on the final exam! You can't always
   assume that people are following along with your brilliant explanation of
   the FCC rules and regulations during that Technician licensing class you are
   teaching for the club. An experienced mentor will be watching for signs of
   puzzlement or misunderstanding and ask if perhaps there is another way that
   they can explain the concept. By the way, this goes for projects outside the
   classroom, too. If you are directing the organization of Field Day for your
   radio club, you cannot necessarily assume that everyone understands their
   roles exactly the same way that you do. You have to be flexible and willing
   to spend some extra time making sure that such a project runs smoothly and
   safely even though it may mean checking back twice with your other
   volunteers, just to make sure that everyone is "on the same page".
   -

   You have to make some assumptions, but be careful!  One of the worst
   bosses I ever had in my working career was a grumpy old sourpuss who always
   insisted that you should NEVER assume anything. I always felt that that was
   ridiculous advice because no one could ever get through their day without
   making hundreds of assumptions. For example, when I get out of bed in the
   morning, I place my feet on the floor. I have assumed that the floor is
   there and that I will not fall into a hole into the basement. I assume that
   when I turn on the water tap that water will flow. And – when it comes to
   electricity – I assume that when I flip on a switch or plug in a power cord
   that the circuit will be live and that electricity will flow. Sometimes
   assumptions are pretty sure things. I have never gotten out of bed and
   fallen through a hole in the floor to the basement, so I feel very safe
   indeed in assuming that the floor will be there. On the other hand, I have
   flipped on electrical switches and found that there was no power. Power
   outages happen for one reason or another, and we have all experienced them.
   The point here is that there are assumptions that a person can make with a
   high degree of confidence and others with perhaps only what we will call a
   high expectation. Other assumptions may be so wild and crazy as to be
   downright silly. An example would be to assume that you will win the
   lottery, so there's no point in putting any money away for retirement.
   Making careless assumptions can get you into trouble when dealing with
   amateur radio and electricity. You should ALWAYS assume that an electrical
   circuit is live until you have disabled it with certainty so that you can
   safely work on it. When acting as a project leader for your radio club, you
   cannot necessarily assume that others will show up to participate, or that
   the right tools will be carried to the project site by other volunteers. You
   have to have a plan! Spelling things out carefully for those who will be
   helping you can be a huge timesaver when you actually get on site and ready
   to put up that big antenna.

 What I am getting at here is that when you are acting as an Elmer and
mentoring new amateur radio operators or when you are leading a project for
your radio club, you have to keep an open mind. Even though I have been an
amateur radio operator for decades and have worked with many other ham radio
operators in many capacities, I am still surprised sometimes by how we can
fail to communicate simply because we assume that others know what we know
or that we know something  that we really don't know! There is no single way
to overcome this failure in communication, but we can minimize its effects
by remembering to really press people to let us know that they truly
understand what we are talking about.  Be patient.  Listen!  Observe.
Repeat: Go over the plan or concept again if it is important.  Assume what
seems most reasonable up to a point, but check to be sure thereafter.

As you might expect, this is not an exact science.  The best mentors are
those who are willing to learn as well as to teach.

Origin of the term Elmer:
http://www.arrl.org/mentoring-new-hams
 ------------------------------
 We are headed into our end-of-summer good read, but first... [image: Dr.
Dave climbs the tower] Help us win the Dr. Dave Challenge!
 Thanks to everyone who has helped us with donations to the Dr. Dave
Challenge so far.  Thanks to Tom, K4ZBC, for your support.

Money is tight these days and we desperately need your support.  Now, thanks
to a generous challenge grant by Dr. Dave Justis, KN0S, we have a chance to
help fill the budget gap.  Dr. Dave will donate $5,000 to the Handiham
System if we can raise a matching amount.  That means we need to really put
the fund-raising into high gear!  If you can help, designate a donation to
Handihams, stating that it is for the "Dr. Dave Challenge".  We will keep
you posted in our weekly e-letter as to the progress of the fund.

Nancy can take credit card donations via the toll-free number,
1-866-426-3442, or accept checks sent to our Courage Center Handiham
address:

Courage Handiham System

Be sure to put a note saying "Dr. Dave Challenge" somewhere in the envelope
or on the note line of the check.  If you donate online as detailed toward
the end of your weekly e-letter, be sure to designate to Handihams and then
send me an email letting me know you donated to the Dr. Dave fund:
wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

Thank you so much for your support!

[image: dog barking at cartoon mail carrier]

Mike, KJ6CBW, writes:

Maybe an ATOM would be useful for next year's camp or when you're
demonstrating autotuners during a lecture. I know we can hear the mechanisms
working, but an ATOM is more demonstrative of what's going on. Let me know
if you'd like one.

Editor's note:  In case you don't know about the ATOM, it is a very useful
tuning aid  for blind operators that gives you an idea of relative power.
Hear the ATOM in action:
http://blind-ham-products.com/atom/soundslike.mp3

Read more at:
http://blind-ham-products.com/atom/atom.htm

George, N0SBU, writes:

Well, after some excitement I got the tape digest in the mail. When I was
copying the last 7 tapes one bound up and stopped the left machine. I had to
very carefully pry it out but things were not right yet. I had to take out
all of the blank tapes and put in 7 different ones.  Then it copied.

For a moment there I thought the copiers bit the dust!!

Pat, I want a raise for doing all of this copy and digest stuff. I think I
should get at least %200 increase or I quit!!!!!

Have a good week and we will CUL.

Pat says:

George, you are worth it.  200% pay raise granted!  Be sure you share it
with PJ.

[image: Weiner dog PJ in her "I'm the boss" T-shirt.]
------------------------------

Zebra crossing app

Hey, maybe Twitter is good for something after all!  I checked my Twitter
feed and saw a post by New Scientist magazine that reported a new iPhone app
designed to use the VoiceOver® screenreading in the iPhone in conjunction
with the built-in camera to recognize "zebra crossings".  The idea is to
help blind pedestrians find safe places to cross the street.  Now, because I
have already reminded myself earlier in this edition about assuming that our
readers and listeners know what I'm talking about, I'd better explain that a
"zebra crossing" is not a place for wildlife (actual zebras) to cross the
road.  It is a crosswalk painted in horizontal stripes that run parallel to
the roadway.  The white stripes stand out on the black pavement, hence the
name "zebra crossing".  Anyway, the zebra crossing app recognizes these
distinctive striped crossings and can alert the blind iPhone user to the
location of the crosswalk.  Zebra crossings are not used everywhere, but
they are quite common in many parts of the world. You can read the New
Scientist article on line and decide for yourself if you want to check out
the app:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/09/zebra-crossing-app.html

------------------------------
Late Summer Reading: Becoming a Ham
  [image: code key]

*Becoming a Ham - Part 1
By T. A. Benham (SK - formerly W3DD, a callsign which has been reassigned.)*

*To perk up the late summer ham radio doldrums, the Handiham System proudly
presents its summer serial, a story about one man's experiences in the field
of radio, starting with the first commercial station in the United States,
KDKA in Pittsburgh. Tom Benham, now a silent key but who most recently held
callsign W3DD, was a ham radio pioneer, and being blind didn't even slow him
down! Join us now as Tom's narrative takes us back in time to the early 20th
Century, and the days of crystal radio!*

My First Crystal Radio

I was born on December 30, 1914, and became blind two years later. In 1922 I
was eight years old and at the Eastern Pennsylvania School for the Blind in
Pittsburgh. There was at least one educational enterprise in which I was
engaged during that Spring. In 1920, the world's first commercial radio
station came on the air in Pittsburgh: KDKA. Somewhere, I had heard about
making a radio receiver using a crystal substance, an antenna and an
earphone. I learned later that the crystal substance was galena. I had heard
it would be necessary to put the crystal in a small metal cup, get a fine
piece of wire and connect it through an earphone to a water pipe. The
surface of the crystal would be connected through a fine wire to an antenna.
The antenna should be as long as possible, outdoors and as high as
convenient.

The crystal would rest in the small cup with its top surface available for
touching the fine wire to it. My friend Tony and I went to a room located
off the basement hall (a place where he once left me to find my way back to
the recreation area alone). We stretched a piece of wire from the window out
to a tree about 25 feet from the building. After much fiddling with all
parts, we finally heard, very faintly at first, radio station KDKA. We found
after some more experimenting that there was a most sensitive spot on the
surface of the crystal so that eventually we were able to hear very clearly.
This type of receiver would not work at all well nowadays because there are
so many stations that they would all be piled upon each other, giving
nothing but hash. In 1922, there was only one station in Pittsburgh. It
wasn't long, however, before others appeared (I remember particularly WCAE).
This was the beginning of my activity in radio, which has been going on for
75 years.

Beginning Amateur Radio

The most important part of those early years was the development of my
interest and knowledge in radio, electronics and electricity. Shortly after
moving to Ardmore, PA, at age 11, I acquired a one-tube broadcast band
receiver made by Western Electric. It was of the regenerative detector type
with a tuning capacitor for selecting the stations and a varicoupler to
control the regenerative sensitivity. I had it on a small table beside the
bed. I tried to keep that first radio as a souvenir but it met an untimely
end. About 1963, while I was teaching at Haverford College, I had gotten
together a small museum of unusual electronic gadgets and had them stored in
a glass door cabinet in the science building. The College decided to put a
computer lab in the room where the cabinet was. Without asking me about any
of the equipment, the professor in charge of the computer project had the
room cleared. When I discovered what was happening, I asked what had been
done with the exhibit case. I was informed, "Oh, all that junk was thrown
out. There wasn't anything of value in it". So, my radio went with the rest
of the treasures, some dating back before 1920. It wasn't long before I was
trying to make my own radios, mostly of the one tube variety. A great deal
of my learning came from people reading to me, mostly people who knew
nothing about what they were reading, but, as they often said, "If you know
what it's about, that's all that matters." I remember a funny thing that
happened about this time. In a vacuum tube circuit, there is a resistor
connected between the grid of the tube and ground (the negative terminal of
the battery). This resistor is, or was, called the grid-leak, so named
because it permits excess electrons to leak off to ground. One day, a man
came to the door saying, "Would you like to buy a small pan to catch the
drippings from the grid-leak in your radio? They cost only a dollar." As
time went on, I met young people who were interested in the same sort of
thing so I learned a great deal from talking to them. Along about 1930, I
thought I would like to become a radio amateur operator. The ARRL Handbook
was available in print only (about half as thick as today's version),
containing all the theory, rules and regulations required by the F.C.C. to
obtain a license. Today it contains all the new things that have been
developed, but it doesn't treat the material that was new in 1930 with as
much detail as it did then. Nevertheless, it contained a great deal of basic
theory which I had to master. Such terms as kilo, mega, and micro kept me
confused for a long time. I knew that a Farad of capacitance was so large
that we used only a millionth of one and this was called a microfarad and
that a millionth of that was a micro-microfarad. Then I heard about .0001
microfarad and then 100 micro-microfarad. One day, I realized all on my own
that ten to the minus sixth meant micro. Then I figured out that a
micro-micro must be ten to the minus twelfth Farad. This was such a
revelation to me and I was so excited that I talked about it for a week!
Nowadays, things have simplified because a micro-micro is called a pico. So,
100 micro-microfarad is 100 picofarad or abbreviated 100Pf. Oh, what a
marvelous thing! So, a kilo-ohm resistor has a resistance of 1000 ohms, a
megohm is 1,000,000 ohms, etc. I don't know how long it takes a modern child
to learn such things, but to me it seemed like a tremendous accomplishment.
I learned about resistors, capacitors, inductors, grids, plates, filaments,
cathodes, etc. I learned about resonance and the formulae connected with
these things. In order to take the F.C.C. examination for a license I had to
learn the "Morse" code. This is not the original code used by Samuel Morse
back in the 1830's, rather a modern version of it whose official name is
International Morse Code. In the original Morse code dots and dashes were in
different combinations. This was because the receiving device was a
"sounder", a metal arm that clacked up and down instead of making a tone. A
dot involved two clicks close together, a stronger down-click and a lighter
up-click. A dash had the same clicks but farther apart. The dots and dashes
are very much more discernible in the modern Morse Code: referred to as CW.
signals. I learned both systems as I found the evolution of the modern
system rather interesting. So I spent many hours listening and
practice-sending so that when the time came for me to take the exam, I was
able to receive about 15 words per minute (the exam required 10 wpm). I
figured it would be wise to be better than required so if I was nervous, I
would have some leeway. The exam required the applicant to receive and send
code for a period of five minutes with no more than three errors. Since I
was perhaps the first blind person to take the exam, we anticipated some
problems. We contacted the F.C.C. office in Philadelphia to ask them how to
proceed. They were very interested in seeing what would happen. They agreed
I should take the code exam by typing what I received on a typewriter and
that I could answer questions orally and describe diagrams verbally.

I went for the exam in May of 1931. It was a fun experience. They spent
three hours with me, unheard of these days. The questions were easy to
handle. The man assigned to work with me read them and I answered. They were
not multiple-choice questions, but rather such questions as, "Give the
regulations relative to amateur broadcasting." "What is the function of a
capacitor in a resonant circuit." And many more of that sort. Then it was
diagram time. I was asked to describe a circuit for a two vacuum tube
receiver suitable for use in the 80 meter band. Then, describe the circuit
for a typical oscillator-amplifier transmitter for the 40 meter band. I had
no trouble with these questions, but the examiner and I got into an argument
over a capacitor that I put in the circuit for the transmitter. He said it
was not supposed to be there. I said that it was and that it was necessary
to keep the grid bias constant during the part of the signal from the
oscillator when the signal was negative. He said, "Wait, I will go look it
up". I said, "Look on page ... in the handbook." He came back in a couple of
minutes and said, "You're right. Go on." Then came the code test, receiving
part first. They had a paper tape with holes punched in it which, when drawn
through a machine, sent dots and dashes. I told the examiner I would like to
have a few minutes to get used to their typewriter. So, he let me type on it
for a couple of minutes and then set the code machine going. For the first
few seconds, I had trouble getting synchronized so that my fingers would
follow what I heard, but I got the five minutes in finally and had two
errors. The sending part was easy. He read a sentence and then I sent it. He
had me do about four or five sentences and declared that was enough. After
five minutes of consultation with someone else in the office, they announced
I had passed and would receive my license in a month or so. I waited with
tremendous impatience until I got the "ticket" saying that my callsign was
W3DD. That was 70 years ago last May, 2001. I still have it and am still
active. We also have it as the license number for our car. Since the
"ticket" arrived after we had gone on vacation, I didn't get on the air
until October, 1931. My first contact was October 31, 1931, at about 5:00
PM, with W4OG in Salem, NC. It was an exciting time for me and for Dad, who
had read so much for me and who had helped buy radios and parts. My first
receiver was a two tube regenerative 40 meter one that I built and the
transmitter was an oscillator-amplifier, called an MOPA system, meaning
"master oscillator power amplifier." The amplifier tube was a UX-210 with
500 volts on the plate and about 20 watts output. We had a mishap with it
before I was able to make a contact. Dad got the 210 tube for me at our
favorite radio store, M & H in Philadelphia, later to become H & R. For some
reason, the tube behaved in a manner that indicated to us it was defective.
It turned purple and drew far too much plate current when we tried to use
it. Dad took it back and convinced Maury it was defective. Maury didn't want
to admit it, but he gave us another tube and this one behaved for years.
Either the first tube was bad or I learned how to handle the second one
properly. I remember rather vividly one night soon after, Dad on his way
from work, walking down the street carrying a heavy 6-volt storage battery.
He had stopped at the Pep Boys store that he passed on his way from the
train. This was to run the filaments of the receiver tubes. Another evening,
just before Dad got home, I was working some stations. The receiver was not
very stable, so the slightest disturbance in the electrical system would
cause the signal to change frequency slightly, making it necessary for me to
re-tune the dial to get it back again.

Dad came in through the back door and said, "How's it going?" and snapped on
the light.

With that, the signal disappeared and I cried, "Oh darn, you made me lose
the signal."

He said in a hurt tone, "Well, alright, I'll get out of here".

I jumped up and went after him. "I'm sorry, Dad, I didn't mean it the way it
sounded. It's only that signals jump when the light is turned on. Come back
and let me show you how things are doing." So he came back and chatted for a
few minutes.

The story of how my antenna got put up is a story in itself. Suffice it to
say that an antenna is not a simple hunk of wire thrown out the window or
fastened to the bedsprings. To get the 20 watts generated by the 210 tube,
much care must be taken to have the wire just the right length, have it
insulated at each end so the RF power does not go into the tree or the house
or whatever holds up the wire, and the energy must be transmitted to the
wire by a means that does not lose any of it. This is called "matching" the
feed line to the antenna. To get this done Dad pressed one of his office
cohorts into service. Mr. Springer came out one Saturday and climbed a
ladder and a telephone pole while I measured the wire and fashioned the feed
line system that was to go from the breakfast room window up to the end of
the antenna. The feed line consisted of two parallel wires about five inches
apart and held in position by insulated rods. We called it the "bird
ladder." The connections from the output of the UX-210 were made to two
special feed-through insulators that conveyed the energy through a narrow
piece of wood fitted under the window sash. Thus, the window could be raised
and lowered without interfering with the feedline system. This was my first
Ham setup, which lasted for two years. It was rebuilt in late 1933 or early
1934 for a special occasion that will be explained later.

*To be continued...*
 ------------------------------
Troubleshooting 101: Intermittent madness!

[image: Pat and giant alligator]

Last week we posed this problem:

All of us have had problems with intermittent circuits from time to time.
At first the radio works fine, then it doesn't, then it does again, then the
problem seems to go away for a week, finally showing up on the morning of
the big DX contest.

Arrgh!

Here's the scenario, one that actually happened to me.  I was tuning around
on 20 meters, and found a nice clear spot on the band.  After listening for
a while, I threw out my callsign and when the frequency seemed clear, I
called CQ.  Imagine my surprise to hear some guy scolding me for calling on
top of a QSO that was already in progress!  I apologized, and tried to
figure out what I had done wrong.

But I hadn't done anything wrong!  I had listened for a reasonable period of
time, thrown out my callsign, and waited again to assure myself that the
frequency was not in use. What had happened was that my Yaesu FT-747GX
transceiver had, unbeknownst to me, developed an intermittent that had
silenced the receiver enough to make me believe that the frequency was clear
and caused that embarrassing dust up with another operator.

How in the world did I find out what had gone wrong?

Paul, WR1X, suggested: You went to WWV or another known audio constant and
it was also quiet. Turned on a second rig and heard the signal.

You are right, Paul!  Having a second receiver to switch onto the same
antenna eliminates the possibility that the antenna is at fault and points
to the first radio as the culprit.  It turned out that the receiver
insensitivity problem would come and go, so I took the cover off the
FT-747GX and probed the circuit board carefully while the radio was powered
up on the test bench.  The probe was a plastic stick that could not cause a
short if I slipped it against a conducting surface. I located the
approximate area of the intermittent on the circuit board by this method,
and narrowed it down to a broken solder joint with a hairline crack by close
visual inspection. Of course the repair was simply to resolder the
connection and test it again with the plastic probe afterwards to be sure
the problem was fixed.

Email me at wa0tda@xxxxxxxx if you want to suggest a troubleshooting
problem.

Remote Base Health Report for 14 September 2011

[image: Kenwood TS-480 transceiver, used in both remote base stations.]

*W0ZSW went off line yesterday due to a power failure after which the
internet & networking equipment failed to recover.  It has been restored to
service as of 12:50 CDT today. W0EQO is on line. *

We attempt to post a current status report each day, but if you notice a
change in either station that makes it unusable, please email us immediately
so that we can update the status and look into the problem:
wa0tda@xxxxxxxxxx the best address to use.  Please do not call by
phone to report a station
outage unless it is an emergency. Email is checked more frequently than the
phone mail in any case.

W0EQO is on line. W0ZSW is on line as of this publication date.  Users may
choose IRB Sound on the W0ZSW station if they prefer it over SKYPE. The
W0EQO station does require SKYPE, however.  IRB Sound on W0EQO has been
noticed to have dropouts on transmit.

You can view the status page at:

[image: Handiham headquarters at Camp Courage, Maple Lake Minnesota]

   - The tape digest is in the mail.
    - Tentative dates for Radio Camp 2012 are Saturday, June 2 - Friday,
   June 8, 2012. This will be earlier than usual so that we can test for Extra
   under the existing question pool, which expires at the end of the last day
   of June.
    - CQ Digest audio will not be available for a while due to a change in
   Bob Zeida's reading schedule. Bob, N1BLF, had a fall and is recovering.
   We wish him a speedy recovery.
    -  Matt, KA0PQW, has completed the third Wouxun audio tutorial.  The
   series is here:
    1.  http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/01-wouxun_ht.mp3
      2. * http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/02-wouxun_ht.mp3    *
      3. * http://handiham.org/manuals/Wouxun/KG-UVD1P/03-wouxun_ht.mp3
        *
    -

   Tonight is EchoLink net night.  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at
   19:30 United States Central time, which translates to 00:30 GMT Thursday
   morning.

   EchoLink nodes:
   - KA0PQW-R, node 267582

      - N0BVE-R, node 89680

      - *HANDIHAM* conference server Node * 494492* (Our preferred
      high-capacity node.)
      -

      Other ways to connect:
      - IRLP node * 9008* (Vancouver BC reflector)

      - WIRES system number * 1427
      *
        - Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address,
   phone number changes, or email address changes so that we can continue to
   stay in touch with you. You may either email Nancy at
   hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or call her toll-free at 1-866-426-3442.
   Mornings are the best time to contact us.

------------------------------
 Supporting Handihams - 2011.

   -

   Step one: Follow this link to the secure Courage Center Website:
    https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294&srcid=344
    -

   Step two: Fill out the form, being careful to use the pull-down
    -

   Step three: Submit the form to complete your donation. If the gift is a
   tribute to someone, don't forget to fill out the tribute information. This
   would be a gift in memory of a silent key, for example.

   -

   Join at the usual $12 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal date
   is the anniversary of your last renewal, so your membership extends for one
   year.
    -

   Join for three years at $36.
    -

   Lifetime membership is $120.
    -

   If you can't afford the dues, request a 90 day non-renewable sponsored
   membership.
    -

   Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our activities.
    -

   Discontinue your membership.

www.handiham.org:

   -