[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 12 May 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 15:03:12 -0500

System.

Please do not reply to this message. Use the contact information at the end,
or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Courage Center Development Officer Walt Seibert Passes Ham Radio Exam

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/795> Walt Seibert (left) gets his Certificate
of Successful Completion of Examination from VE Patrick Tice, WA0TDA.
Photo: Walt Seibert, left, gets congrats from Pat, WA0TDA.

Another New Ham

Congratulations to Walt Seibert, who passed his Technician licensing exam at
the Handiham-affiliated Stillwater Amateur Radio Association VE session last
Thursday. Walt works with me at Courage Center, and we have known each other
for many years. As one of his duties in the Courage Center Development
Department, Walt traveled with me one year to Dayton HAMVENTION and with the
help of our colleague Tom Olson put on a "meet and greet" development event
in support of the Handiham program.

So Walt is no stranger to ham radio, and when he decided to pursue his
Technician Class amateur radio license, we were thrilled. There is nothing
like being able to "walk the walk and talk the talk", and if you are going
to ask potential donors to support an amateur radio education program for
people with disabilities, it certainly helps to have an amateur radio
license yourself. I know that Walt was amazed at the size and scope of
Dayton HAMVENTION. The amazing technology, the friendly folks who visited
the Handiham booth, the fun and fellowship --

I guess it isn't surprising that amateur radio looked pretty good.

Of course Walt is always busy at work, helping Courage Center to earn the
trust and support of those who believe in our mission to help people with
disabilities. For a time he was interested in amateur radio but couldn't
take the time to pursue it because of his other professional development
studies and the demands of work. However, the stars finally aligned for
Walt, and he decided to earn his Technician. We helped with study materials
and links to amateur radio practice exam websites. Soon Walt was reporting
back to us that he was passing practice exams on a regular basis, and then
every time he tried. We set up Walt with an upcoming VE session and crossed
our fingers.

I am a member of the Stillwater Amateur Radio Association VE Team, so I was
pleased to see that Walt showed up at our Thursday evening testing session,
which meant that I would be able to personally give him the good news when
he passed the test. As expected, Walt did a great job on the examination and
I was able to perform one of my favorite duties as a volunteer examiner:
giving a successful candidate the good news!

Congratulations to Walt, who is now waiting for his callsign to appear in
the database.

  _____

Guide Dog Trawler passes away quietly

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/802> Jerry & Trawler relax at the lake cabin

Folks, it is with much sadness that I report the passing of guide Trawler.
He gave no indication of any health issues. He guided at church last Sunday,
and we went to the Plymouth Senior Center yesterday, where he worked well as
usual, steps and all. All was normal the rest of Monday. This morning,
Tuesday, Pam found him on his sleeping mat next to our computer. He was in
his normal sleep position, no sign of any trauma. Pam feels it was his
heart. Trawler would have been ten years old July 4 of this year.

I would like to have my ham radio friends on the net and camp staff know of
this, so could you forward the information?

Jerry Kloss, N0VOE

Editor's note: Trawler guided Jerry, Handiham Volunteer & Student
Coordinator, through years of Radio Camps and Handiham activities. A true
team, they worked so well together that it was fun to watch them travel with
confidence and poise. Our hearts go out to Jerry and his wife Pam in their
time of loss, for losing a treasured animal and guide leaves a hole in your
heart.

  _____

Atlantis set for Friday launch - STS-132

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/804> At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in
Florida, space shuttle Atlantis casts shadows into space (NASA via Wikimedia
Commons)

There is a 70 percent chance of favorable weather for Friday's 2:20 p.m. EDT
launch of space shuttle Atlantis. STS-132 will further Expedition 23/24,
which continues the tradition of scientific activities aboard the ISS
(International Space Station) that began with Expedition 1 in 2000.

Myriad activities include experiments that require crew support, as well as
automated experiments that are ongoing without crew efforts. U.S.
experiments include Amateur Radio on the International Space Station
(ARISS), which allows crew aboard the ISS, with the help of Amateur Radio
Clubs and ham radio operators, to speak directly with groups of the general
public, showing teachers, students, parents, and communities how amateur
radio can motivate students' learning about science and technology.

  _____

Handiham to go in your iPhone or iPod TouchR

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/799> iPod Touch in the palm of a hand makes
Echolink even easier!

It is now possible to take your "Handiham" to go! The new Echolink App is
available for the iPod Touch and iPhone, as long as the latest operating
system is used. The 3G versions include the latest software, and the 2G
version can be updated with a simple software download from the Apple iTunes
application. To find the Echolink App, open iTunes and go to the Apps page.
Search for Echolink, and "buy" it for free. Install and follow the simple
setup for your existing Echolink account, and you are good to go. You will
need the Apple iPod earphones with inline microphone to use Echolink. The
usual problems with port forwarding and firewalls are avoided with the
Echolink App for iPod and iPhone. iPod users will, of course, have to have a
wireless Internet connection available.

You can use the search function in the Echolink application to find the
HANDIHAM node. Once you locate it, add it to your Favorites. Press the
connect button, and you can join the HANDIHAM worldwide conference. The
bandwidth of the HANDIHAM node will allow for 200 connections.

The Handiham daily Echolink net is on Monday through Saturday at 11:00 a.m.
CDT (16:00 GMT) on the HANDIHAM conference server. We have had some blind
users check in via their iPhones, as Apple includes accessibility features.

Join our worldwide EchoLink net every day but Sunday. All licensed operators
are welcome. The net is controlled but informal, and there is no need to be
a Handiham member to participate. Sometimes the net control station will
throw out a discussion topic to liven things up! Listen in a few times if
you are shy, and then take the plunge and throw out your callsign.

Days: Monday through Saturday, and Sunday if anyone wants to take an
informal session.

Times: 11:00 hours United States Central Time M-S and a second Wednesday
session at 19:30 Central Time. (16:00 GMT)

Frequency in the local Minnesota repeater coverage zone: 145.45 FM, negative
offset with no tone in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul
Minnesota.

EchoLink nodes:

HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at 19:30 United States Central
Standard time, which translates to +5 hours, or 00:30 GMT Thursday morning
during North American Daylight Time. Connect from any Internet-enabled
computer in the world, and come out on Twin Cities repeater N0BVE on
145.450.

iPhone & iPod Touch are registered trademarks of Apple.

  _____

N0BVE Echolink Node at Dayton HAMVENTION

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/797> Echolink screenshot

If you are going to be at Dayton HAMVENTION, there is no need to miss the
Handiham Echolink net. Don, N0BVE, will be operating a simplex Echolink node
right at HAMVENTION. He will be situated in the flea market and the node
should easily have coverage around the entire convention grounds. The
frequency will be 147.450 MHz with a tone of 114.8 Hz. The node will be
N0BVE-L on your Echolink screen, but we expect it to already be connected to
the *HANDIHAM* conference server. Connect to our conference server for
maximum bandwidth.

The Handiham daily net is on at 11:00 a.m. CDT Monday through Saturday on
*HANDIHAM* Echolink worldwide, and in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Minnesota
metro area on 145.450 MHz. (M-Sa 16:00 GMT.)

  _____

Media hits:

JoAnne Seaman, KG6POZ, called this morning to tell us about a school visit
she made to talk to the students about blindness and ham radio. An article
was written about the visit in the local paper, the Mountain View
(California) News. Following is a link to the article:

http://mtnviewsnews.com/v04/htm/n18/p03.htm

It is a great article!

*       We are at Dayton HAMVENTIONR. Find the Handiham booth in the Silver
Arena, booth number 332.  Stop by to say hello to Handiham booth manager
John Hoenshell, N0BFJ & his crew, and meet Dr. Ken Silberman, KB3LLA,
Handiham Radio Club President.
John, N0BFJ, & Larry, KA0LSG at the booth. "Put 'em up", Larry says. "I want
booth duty next, and you'll just have to wait!"
*       Thank you to all who have or are considering including the Handiham
Program in your estate plan. To ensure your bequest or residual is credited
to the Handi Ham Program, please specify the following as the recipient of
your estate gift: "Courage Center's Handiham Program" .

If you have questions, please call Walt Seibert at 763-520-0532 or email him
at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*       Bob Zeida, N1BLF, has completed the May 2010 Worldradio audio digest
for our blind members.
*       We have also finished reading the May, 2010 QST audio digest and Ken
Padgitt, W9MJY, has completed the May 2010 Doctor column from QST for our
blind members. Handiham members who use adapted audio can log in to members
only for the digest. If you qualify for National Library Service audio
books, you can get the entire issue of QST, once the issue is read and
cataloged.

.         Shipping address for Handihams: Our shipping address is different
than our mailing address, though we can still get packages and mail at
either address. The thing is, it is much, much easier if packages, such as
equipment donations, are sent directly to our headquarters office. This is
the same address where Radio Camp will be held.

Camp Courage
Handiham System
8046 83rd Street Northwest
Maple Lake, MN 55358-2454

Please don't call the Camp Courage number to reach Handihams. The phone at
the main Camp Courage office for all departments is (320) 963-3121. However,
we do not always get phone messages left at that number in a timely manner,
so if you wish to leave a phone message, be sure to call:

Pat: 763-520-0511

Nancy: 763-520-0512

Nancy and I will get your calls or voicemails at those numbers no matter
where we are working.

We are on Twitter! Look for us on Twitter by searching for "handiham". We
invite you to follow us. Handiham web page posts are now "tweeted"
automatically!

Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone number
with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or call
her toll-free at 1-866-426-3442. Mornings are the best time to contact us.

Wednesday Echolink net news - Net time is new for GMT, now that we are on
Daylight Time.

Wednesday evenings the Handiham Echolink net is on the air. Please join us
and check in or simply listen in, as you see fit. We are on the air
Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM) or GMT: Thursday
morning at 00:30 Z.

  _____

Supporting Handihams

graphic showing figure using wheelchair holding hand of standing figure

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

ARRL Diamond logo

.         By wa0tda at 05/12/2010 - 18:53

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment%2Freply%2F806%23comm
ent-form>  to post comments

.         Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/806>  version

.         Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/806>  to friend