[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 05 December 2012

  • From: Patrick Tice <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 13:57:46 -0600

*Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday,
05 December 2012*

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment. You

*Welcome to Handiham World.*Meet the TOP BAND - 160 meters

[image: Icom IC-706M2G tuned to 1.902 MHz]
This week we are taking a look at what has long been called "the top band"
by old-timers in Amateur Radio.

The 160 meter amateur band covers 1.8 to 2.0 MHz.  The ARRL Frequency Chart
notes that we are to "avoid interference to radiolocation operations from
1.9 to 2.0 MHz".  This is to protect the LORAN (LOng Range RAdio
Navigation) system from interference, but the fact of the matter is that
this old technology has effectively been replaced with the much more
reliable GPS navigation system and there are really no worries about
interference these days.

The entire 160 meter band is open to RTTY and data (including CW) and phone
and image modes.  Its entire spectrum is also open to Extra, Advanced, and
General license holders.  It's really not a fussy band with a lot of
restrictions by mode or license class.

As you know, the lower the frequency, the longer the length of the radio's
wave - the wavelength.  A typical dipole antenna used on the HF (High
Frequency) bands is about a half-wavelength long, ensuring that it will be
resonant at the correct frequency.  A resonant antenna will have a low
standing wave ratio and will efficiently radiate RF energy at the desired
frequency.  So if we are talking about the 160 meter band, a half
wavelength would be a whopping 80 meters.  A meter is about 39 inches, a
bit over three feet.  If you use the tried and true formula 468 divided by
the frequency in MHz and you pick 1.9 MHz, a frequency in the center of the
band, you get an antenna length of about 246 feet and 3 inches for the
length of your half-wave dipole.  I don't know about you, but not many ham
radio operators have that kind of real estate in which to string antennas.
The length of the antenna has often been a deciding factor in whether one
chooses to try the "top band".  If you live on a smaller city lot, it just
may seem more practical to put up antennas for the higher frequency bands
because they are shorter and easier to fit into a city lot.  A 20 meter
dipole is only about 33 feet long by comparison.  Even though your
transceiver probably has the capability of working on 160, it might end up
being a band you never try because of the antenna requirements.

What can you expect to hear if you tune around the 160 meter band?  Well,
nothing much if you are listening during the daylight hours.  The band will
effectively be closed to all but very close ground wave communications
because of absorption of those wavelengths when the sun is out. Once the
sun sets, 160 begins to come to life.  Stations from hundreds, even
sometimes thousands, of miles can be heard. The winter months tend to be
best for using the top band because there are more hours of darkness and
the band can really open up. Winter is also better because there is less
interfering static (QRN) from thunderstorms.  Summer storms are a major
headache for 160 meter communications, so if you operate 160 in the summer
months the quietest time with the least interference with the band still
open is probably right around sunrise.

You can work all states on 160 and even work DX, but most QSOs I hear on
the top band are contacts between groups of friends who prefer to meet on a
less-crowded band for a casual roundtable conversation. It can be an
excellent band to have at the bottom of a sunspot cycle when the higher
frequencies are less than impressive.  If you have an AM radio (don't laugh
- they are a disappearing species), you can use it to tune around in the
evening to hear distant stations.  If far away stations are coming in on
the AM broadcast band, then the 160 meter band is probably wide open as
well.  The two bands are nearby neighbors on the frequency spectrum chart.

If you are intrigued by the idea of trying 160 meters but put off by the
antenna challenge, don't despair.  Antennas that do not physically fit into
a city lot can still be made to fit electrically by adding inductance -
resonate in the band. There is no free lunch in physics, so the efficiency
of the loaded antenna will not be as high as that of a full-size half-wave
dipole. The bandwidth of a loaded antenna will also generally be less,
meaning that the usable frequency range around the resonant frequency will
not be as wide.  This, at least, can usually be taken care of with an
antenna tuner. A dipole isn't the only antenna design to consider.  You
might choose a Marconi antenna (end-fed wire) tuned at the feedpoint.  A
vertical antenna with a loading coil near the base can also be a way to get
on 160 when real estate is at a premium. In fact, the new crop of 43 foot
vertical antennas offered by a number of manufacturers can be made resonant
on 160 with base loading. Marconi antennas and verticals need to be fed
against a good ground system, preferably with multiple ground radial wires.
It may be necessary to acquire a more serious antenna tuner than the one
built into a transceiver.  For really efficient 160 meter tuning, it is
best to have a bigger external tuner because it will be more efficient and
be able to cope with a wider range of matching conditions. The typical
internal automatic antenna tuner is not much good for SWR readings of 3:1
or higher, and even then it's problematic. You can easily encounter high
SWR readings when trying to tune a 160 meter antenna.

Still thinking 160 might be for you?  Here's what you need to get started:

   -

   HF transceiver capable of operating on the 160 meter band.
   -

   Antenna assessment to help you plan for and choose the correct antenna
   system for your situation.
   -

   Antenna and tuner (if required) installed and tested with help from your
   local radio club or a knowledgeable fellow ham with antenna experience.
   -

   Free time to listen and operate in the evening and nighttime hours, or
   in the very early morning.
   -

   Patience - it will take a while to learn how the 160 meter band works.
   -

   Plan to listen or participate in the next big 160 meter event, the CQ
   World Wide 160-Meter Contest,  if you have your station ready by January.
   Here are the particulars:

   *The 2013 CQ World-Wide 160-Meter Contest*
   -

      CW: 2200Z January 25 to 2200Z January 27
      -

      SSB: 2200Z February 22 to 2200Z February 24
      -

      http://www.cq160.com/rules.htm

ARRL also sponsors a 160 meter contest, but it was recently completed just
a few days ago, so look for the next one near the end of November 2013.

Next time:  The 75/80 meter band.

Let's get out there and enjoy HF!

Email me at handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with your questions & comments.
Handiham Manager’s Technology Award goes to KK4JZX

[image: cartoon robot chasing light bulb signifying bright ideas]

In 2012 we decided to promote Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math -
STEM - as part of our amateur radio mission. To that end we have created
the Handiham Manager's Technology Award, to be presented to a person whose
volunteer effort on behalf of the Handiham System in the area of technology
has significantly advanced assistive technology, accessibility, or
communications technology resulting in an advancement of the state of the
art for the benefit of Handiham members.

*The 2012 award goes to Jose Tamayo, KK4JZX, for his dedication to the
Handiham Remote Base software update project. Jose has done exemplary work
to debug and update the existing W4MQ remote base client software, leading
the beta testing team and working to build accessibility into the newest
version of the client.*

It is my pleasure to recognize Jose and to congratulate him on his
achievement.

Volunteers needed

[image: Handiham volunteer Bob Zeida, N1BLF, at his recording station.]

*Handiham volunteers help us with recording projects and are much
appreciated by our blind Handiham members.*  In this photo we see Bob
Zeida, N1BLF, posing at his computer where he has recorded countless hours
of audio for his school district and for the Handiham program. The demands
on Bob are considerable, and we have more audio recording needs than he can
possibly handle. Other volunteers like Ken Padgitt, W9MJY, record audio for
us each month. Bob and Ken know that recording for those who cannot read
regular print is a wonderful way to share one's time and talent with others
who want to learn more about amateur radio, learn how to run a transceiver,
or understand a concept in electricity and electronics.

Some recording jobs are as straightforward as reading printed copy word for
word with perhaps a pause or two in order to explain a picture or figure.
Others involve more or less freestyle teaching into a microphone about how
to operate a radio. You can do that kind of teaching even if you cannot see
to use regular printed materials yourself.  If you know a radio and can use
it well, why not share this knowledge with other Handiham members by making
an audio tutorial?  It's a lot like explaining something over the telephone
- once you get the hang of it, the process is pretty simple. Volunteers
Joe, N3AIN, and Matt, KA0PQW, have made excellent audio tutorials on
different models of radios from a blind operator's perspective. Don't
assume you need to see to do this work. While you do need to see to read
printed pages, you can make audio tutorials whether you are blind or
sighted.

Years ago, people used tape recorders to make audio recordings.  Today the
computer is the tool of choice.  In the picture of Bob above, you can see
the waveform of recorded audio on his computer screen in the background.
Some people prefer the portability of a digital recorder, which can later
be attached to the computer for transfer and processing of the audio file.
Virtually any modern computer can be a sound recording studio for next to
nothing in cost. You do need a decent microphone, preferably a headset
microphone, and recording software like Audacity, which is free,
open-source, and cross-platform.  That means it will work on Windows, Mac,
and Linux computers.  Recorded audio can be sent to Handiham headquarters
via several internet services, which are also free - assuming you already
have internet service at home.

Recording for your fellow hams is a great Handiham volunteer activity.  You
don't need to go out in the snow, sleet, and rain. There is no heavy
lifting, high voltage, or tower climbing. You can do it at home on your own
schedule.  We don't care if you are a night owl or an early bird. We can
even pair you up with recording tasks that match your interests.

Can you help?  Drop me a line or give me a call.  Don't sit in front of the
TV all winter long - read for your fellow amateurs and share the fun!

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, Handiham Manager
Handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Correspondence:

[image: cartoon robot with pencil]
Avery, K0HLA says:

Get ready for 12/12/12 - December 12, 2012 !
Ken, KB3LLA, likes several books about the iPhone from National Braille
Press, including Getting Started with the iPhone and iOs5 for Blind Users:

http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/IPHONE-IOS5.html

------------------------------
Handiham Nets

[image: TMV71A transceiver]

*We are on the air daily at 11:00 USA Central Time, plus Wednesday &
Thursday evenings at 19:00 USA Central Time.  *

*Join us on the Thursday evening Handiham Radio Club TechNet. * The
frequency in the local Minnesota repeater coverage zone: 145.45 FM,
negative offset with no tone and 444.65 MHz with 114.8 Hz tone in the Twin
Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul Minnesota. The UHF repeater will be
heard more easily in the Eastern Twin Cities.  You will find our daily net
on the air at 11:00 hours USA Central Time, with a Sunday roundtable
session for a change of pace. A Wednesday evening session at 19:00 hours
USA Central Time also offers a chance to take a guess at a trivia question
(offered by some Net Control Stations) and visit with your friends on the
air. Ideal for those who can't make the daily morning session! Then
Thursday evening at 19:00 hours return to the Tech net and learn something
new.

*EchoLink nodes:*

*HANDIHAM* conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity
node.)
*VAN-IRLP*, node 256919
KA0PQW-R, node 267582
KA0PQW-L, node 538131
N0BVE-R, node 89680

*Other ways to connect:*

Let's go to the Extra Class pool and take a look at four related questions
about HF propagation.

E3B04 asks: "What type of propagation is probably occurring if an HF beam
antenna must be pointed in a direction 180 degrees away from a station to
receive the strongest signals?"

Possible choices are:

A. Long-path
B. Sporadic-E
C. Transequatorial
D. Auroral

E3B05 asks: "Which amateur bands typically support long-path propagation?"

Possible choices are:

A. 160 to 40 meters
B. 30 to 10 meters
C. 160 to 10 meters
D. 6 meters to 2 meters

E3B06 asks: "Which of the following amateur bands most frequently provides
long-path propagation?"

Possible choices are:

A. 80 meters
B. 20 meters
C. 10 meters
D. 6 meters

And finally, E3B07 asks: "Which of the following could account for hearing
an echo on the received signal of a distant station?"

Possible answers are:

A. High D layer absorption
B. Meteor scatter
C. Transmit frequency is higher than the MUF
D. Receipt of a signal by more than one path

These questions all relate to long-path propagation in some way. If an HF
beam antenna must be pointed in a direction 180 degrees away from a station
to receive the strongest signals, that means that you are receiving a
signal by long path propagation. The signal is traveling around the Earth
instead of via the most direct, shorter path that you might expect. As for
which amateur bands typically support long-path propagation, you might be
surprised to learn that although long-path is most common on 20 meters, all
the bands found on the typical HF transceiver, 160 to 10 meters, are
subject to long-path propagation. If you  hear an echo on the received
signal of a distant station, that is a sign that the signal is traveling to
your receiver by more than one path.  The correct answers are A, C, B, D.

*Remote Base health report: W0EQO is on line. W0ZSW is on line.

[image: Image of TS-480SAT courtesy Universal Radio]
*

*Work continues on the remote base software.  Both stations are accessible
via Echolink for receive.  *Look for W0ZSW-L and W0EQO-L using the search
function in your Echolink application.  Please note that it is not allowed
to connect through RF to the two remote base Echolink nodes, you can only
use the Echolink application of a computer or smartphone.

If problems show up, please email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Keyboard commands list updated:
http://handiham.org/remotebase/w4mq-keyboard-commands/

*Solar Activity Forecast:* Solar activity is expected to be at very low to
low levels on days one, two, and three (05 Dec, 06 Dec, 07 Dec).

Credit: NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center:
www.swpc.noaa.gov/forecast.html

Plan now to contact the Handiham office with your news or address changes,
stories to share, or anything else that needs to be completed before year's
end.  The Handiham office will close for the week of Christmas through the
end of the year and will reopen after New Year's Day.  That means that once
Nancy leaves the office at 2pm USA Central Time on December 20, any
business you have left until the last minute will have to wait for the
first week in January! Please plan ahead - it will not be possible to get
in touch with us during the last 10 days of the month!  During that time we
will keep the website up to date and assure that the remote base stations
are operational. The nets will continue on a regular schedule most days,
but family holidays are special and sessions may be simple open round
tables if no net control shows up.
*

*Change in address for equipment donations:  *Please contact Pat, WA0TDA,
before making any donation of equipment. My phone number is 763-520-0511
and my email address is pat.tice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The address is now the
same as our postal mailing address. This should simplify our contact
information.

*Courage Center Handiham System
3915 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN  55422*

*Equipment change: *We no longer accept antennas, except small accessory
antennas for handheld radios. *We do not accept donations of cassette tapes
or tape equipment or used magazines. *
No more tape digests and manuals

*Please remember that the cassette tape digest ceases following the mailing
at the end of November!  After that all audio is in DAISY digital format or
on line through the members only section of handiham.org. The Library of
Congress 4-track tape system will no longer be supported in any form after
2012.  *

*George, N0SBU, reminds us that the final tape digest mailing is out and we
will no longer support cassette tapes. We do not accept donations of
cassette tapes or tape equipment.  *

*The December Audio Digest is in preparation for digital DAISY cartridges,
but we are still waiting for some audio to be submitted. December DAISY
files are available in the DAISY section of the website following member
login. *

*Digital mailers are important: *If you do mail a digital cartridge to us,
cartridges or mailers and not including a mailer will result in a long
delay getting your request back out to you.

*DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers*, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your callsign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc. <http://www.aph.org/>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Catalog Number: 1-02610-00, Price: $12.00

cartridges:

[image: Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

Handiham Manager Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert, KD0LPX, at
763-520-0532 or email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx