[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 02 January 2013

  • From: Patrick Tice <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 15:45:49 -0600

*Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday,
02 January 2013*

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment. You

*Welcome to Handiham World.*Call to service?  Answer it, but know what
you're supposed to do.

[image: WA0TDA with new ARRL Amateur Radio Public Service Manual.]

*Santa delivered my brand-new ARRL Amateur Radio Public Service Handbook
right to my door on Christmas Eve.  He always has such good timing - I'll
bet the sleigh has the best GPS navigation system and the naughty/nice
database is in the cloud!*

I have always liked ham radio books, but this one is a first edition, so
it's especially interesting.  As John B. Johnston, W3BE, says in his latest
Rules and Regs Digest column (QCWA Journal, Winter 2012, pp. 12-15), "...
there is the duty to cooperate in the orderly functioning of our amateur
service in satisfying not only its stated purposes but also the additional
purposes for which it is now being used – such as incorporating our
regulator's strategy for public safety and homeland security, observing
protocols for sharing our amateur service spectrum with professional
communicators, accommodating the general citizenry worldwide, and obliging
unlicensed/under-licensed operators."

The idea that we have an obligation to be part of a ready cadre of
emergency communicators in a new world of regulation where we will be
working with served agencies and their unlicensed personnel is not exactly
a new one in ham radio circles, but John does point out that the licensing
structure and the design of the question pool for the entry-level license,
Technician, does support this premise more than ever. Historically the
Technician license has been one that assured a fair amount of technical
expertise in VHF-UHF design and operation. The changed emphasis on the
license as an entry-level one and the new focus on emergency communication
completely changes the Technician Class landscape.

So how should we respond to this situation?

The answer is that we need to open our minds to flexibility and change.
Amateur radio has always been a dynamic, evolving activity. We still need
to be safe, competent operators and we should have a working knowledge of
how to be public service communicators. That does not mean that we need to
abandon all pretense of technical understanding, even though the exams we
now give for Technician no longer emphasize the physics of VHF-UHF.
Chapter 10, "The Science of Radio - Basics for the EmComm Operator",
provides a no-assumptions look at the things any new op needs to know.  By
"no-assumptions" I mean that the authors do not take it for granted that
every license holder understands what causes interference or knows how
radio propagation works.  You and I may know that bandwidth is limited on
HF and that a digital message must be suitably constructed with that
constraint in mind, but does every new licensee know that?  And remember
that emergency communicators like you and I may have to explain the
necessity of short messages to the unlicensed staff of served agencies with
whom we are working in an emergency. Over my years in amateur radio I have
often run across knowledge gaps even among some long-time license holders -
even those with higher license classes.  No matter how experienced you are,
it never hurts to review the basics!

Whether you are an EmComm pro or if you have never taken an EmComm course
or volunteered as a public service communicator, there will be plenty to
learn from the ARRL Amateur Radio Public Service Handbook.

W0ZSW photo update

Ever wonder what the remote base station looks like? The answer is that
it's surprisingly like a typical ham radio station anywhere, sporting a
radio, power supply, and that all-important station accessory: the shack
computer.

[image: Kenwood TS-480HX with matching SEC switching power supplies, LDG
AT-200PRO tuner, RigBlaster interface, rig control computer, and manual
antenna switch mounted on the wall.]

In this first photo we see the Kenwood TS-480HX transceiver paired with
matching SEC switching power supplies. The Systemax rig control computer is
in the background, interfaced to the radio with a RIGblaster nomic from
West Mountain Radio. The RIGblaster is on top of the antenna tuner, an LDG
AT-200PRO. On the wall above the radio there is a board with a two-position
coaxial antenna switch that allows us to switch the output of the radio to
a dummy load for testing. Our vintage sign, "Amateur Radio Station W0ZSW"
sits atop the computer, just beneath the LCD monitor screen. This sign has
been in the Handiham radio room for as long as anyone can remember, so it
seemed appropriate to keep it in place at the remote base station.  Partly
obscured by the control head of the radio is a W0ZSW QSL card.

The two power supplies are needed to accommodate the TS-480HX's
requirements, since it is capable of running at 200 watts.  The same is
true of the LDG AT-200PRO antenna tuner.  At our sister station, W0EQO at
Courage North, the radio is a Kenwood TS-480SAT, which is capable of a
maximum 100 watts and thus needs only a single power supply and an LDG
AT-100PRO antenna tuner.

[image: 2 position antenna switch (manual operation only)]

This dual-position switch is mounted upside down, which seemed to be the
best way to accommodate the heavy RG-8 cables. George, N0SBU, gave me the
switch, and I mounted it on a scrap of pine board for stability before
affixing it to an outer wall near the point where the antenna cabling goes
through the wall.  This switch allows for a dummy load antenna to be placed
into the circuit so that testing can be done off-air.

[image: Detail of RIGblaster nomic interface.]

Here is a close-up of the RIGblaster nomic interface by West Mountain
Radio. In our installation only the microphone audio is interfaced through
this device.

[image: Plastic cover over MFJ current balun]

Next, we head outdoors, to the other side of the wall above the antenna
switch.  We see the coax exiting the wall and dropping down from the entry
point so as to prevent water from following the cable into the wall when it
rains. The coax is coiled into a five turn choke coil to prevent RF from
following the outside of the coax back down into the shack. Under the
plastic radome (really just a poly food container) is a rehabilitated MFJ 4
to 1 current balun.  450 ohm ladderline exits the top and goes out to the
center insulator of a 200 foot double extended zepp antenna commonly known
as a "W0OXB Special®".  This photo was taken late last summer, so don't go
on the assumption that the greenery on the nearby bush is common in
Minnesota in January!

[image: Logitach USB desk microphone and LCD monitor showing screenshot of
W4MQ software]

Finally, here is the view from the point of a remote user:  The W4MQ screen
shows up on a computer monitor and a USB desktop microphone does the honors
for voice communications.  Remember that there is no microphone at the
station itself, since the rig's microphone port is connected via the
RIGblaster to the rig control computer's sound card.  The W4MQ software
will also run CW and PSK-31 with its built-in interfaces for those modes.
------------------------------
Events for January by N1YXU[image: Snowman holding HT]

*Happy New Year 2013!!! I hope each of you and your families have had a
wonderful, relaxing holiday season. I imagine many of you have been
affected by the recent weather. My husband and I are included in that
number. We recently traveled to Upstate New York and got a taste of the
cold, blustery, snowy weather that we used to know. Regardless of the
weather, we had a wonderful time catching-up with family.*

Since it still may be a little chilly where you are, go and turn on your
radio, let it warm up, and then do some operating! You’ll find many events
this month to hold your interest. Enjoy!

Until next month….

Regards,
- Laurie Meier, N1YXU
n1yxu@xxxxxxxx

*Read the N1YXU Events column here:
http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/node/164 *
------------------------------
Correspondence:

[image: cartoon robot with pencil]

Ken, KB3LLA, likes the new NFB-Newsline iPhone app:

Now you can receive your emergency weather alerts right on your iPhone with
the NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile App. If there is a weather alert for your area, and
your address and zip code is up to date on your NFB-NEWSLINE® account, you
will hear a message saying weather alert when you launch your NFB-NEWSLINE®
Mobile app, and you will feel your iPhone vibrate. Just double tap on the
weather alert button when you hear the alert, and you can read the entire
weather alert on your iPhone. Please keep in mind that only the iPhone will
vibrate, since only the iPhone has the built-in vibration motor. Those of
you running the NFB-NEWSLINE® Mobile App on an iPad or an iPod will only
receive the voice alert without the vibration. If you want to get just the
vibration alert without the voice alert, you can turn off the voice alert
for weather alerts in the settings menu. If you need to update your address
and zip code, you can call 1-866-504-7300, or e-mail nfbnewsline-ios@xxxxxxx.

Please note that this is an NFB app and has nothing to do with Amateur
Radio Newsline, the excellent weekly newscast from ARNewsline at:
http://www.arnewsline.org
------------------------------
Handiham Nets are on on the air!

[image: TMV71A transceiver]

*We are on the air daily at 11:00 USA Central Time, plus Wednesday &
Thursday evenings at 19:00 USA Central Time.  *

*The official and most current net news may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets *

*Join us on the Thursday evening Handiham Radio Club TechNet. * The
frequency in the local Minnesota repeater coverage zone: 145.45 FM,
negative offset with no tone and 444.65 MHz with 114.8 Hz tone in the Twin
Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul Minnesota. The UHF repeater will be
heard more easily in the Eastern Twin Cities.  You will find our daily net
on the air at 11:00 hours USA Central Time, with a Sunday roundtable
session for a change of pace. A Wednesday evening session at 19:00 hours
USA Central Time also offers a chance to take a guess at a trivia question
(offered by some Net Control Stations) and visit with your friends on the
air. Ideal for those who can't make the daily morning session! Then
Thursday evening at 19:00 hours return to the Tech net and learn something
new.

*EchoLink nodes:*

*HANDIHAM* conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity
node.)
*VAN-IRLP*, node 256919
KA0PQW-R, node 267582
KA0PQW-L, node 538131
N0BVE-R, node 89680

*Other ways to connect:*

*Let's go to the Technician Class pool:*

T2C08 asks, "What is usually considered to be the most important job of an
amateur operator when handling emergency traffic messages?"

Possible answers are:

A. Passing messages exactly as written, spoken or as received
B. Estimating the number of people affected by the disaster
C. Communicating messages to the news media for broadcast outside the
disaster area
D. Broadcasting emergency information to the general public

I hope you chose answer A, Passing messages exactly as written, spoken or
as received. It is vital that we act only as the conduit for messages, and
that we do not add to or subtract from the original message content. As
tempting as it can be to "fill in the blanks" or reword something for
clarity, we must instead deliver the message EXACTLY as received.

Both remote base HF stations are on line. The latest remote base health
report is at:
http://www.handiham.org/remote

The January Audio Digest is in production.  All December DAISY files are
available in the DAISY section of the website following member
login. Please let me know if you have trouble using the DAISY files,
because this is an important member service and we want you to take
advantage of it.

Another member service is the audio lectures for Technician, General, and
Extra.  All courses are available on line for your use whenever you want to
study or review. Teaching is done with thoughtful attention to descriptions
for those who are blind, and we promote understanding concepts rather than
simply memorizing the question pool.  If you would like to use this service
but do not understand how, please contact us.  We can also put the audio
lectures on your DAISY digital NLS cartridge if you prefer that method
instead of downloading or streaming audio from the website. Our latest
audio lectures cover concepts like resonance from the Extra Class course.
Please join us in whatever course you need, and also please let us know if
you would like a specific topic covered in our Operating Skills lecture
series.

Don't forget that Courage Center is a registered non-profit and your gifts
to Handihams are tax deductible.  We appreciate your support!
*

*Net information and news: *The official and most current net news may be
found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets

*Change in address for equipment donations:  *Please contact Pat, WA0TDA,
before making any donation of equipment. My phone number is 763-520-0511
and my email address is pat.tice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The address is now the
same as our postal mailing address. This should simplify our contact
information.

*Courage Center Handiham System
3915 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN  55422*

*Digital mailers are important: *If you do mail a digital cartridge to us,
cartridges or mailers and not including a mailer will result in a long
delay getting your request back out to you.

*DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers*, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your callsign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc. <http://www.aph.org/>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Catalog Number: 1-02610-00, Price: $12.00

cartridges:

[image: Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

Handiham Manager Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert, KD0LPX, at
763-520-0532 or email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx