[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 8 July 2009

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:59:01 -0500

Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 8 July 2009

System <http://handiham.org> . Please do not reply to this message. Use the
contact information at the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Listen to an MP3 audio stream:
Download the MP3 audio to your portable player:
Get this issue as an audio podcast:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Welcome to Handiham World!

wooden sign that says Courage North

It is decision time if you are still interested in Handiham Radio Camp 2009.
The registration deadline is this coming Monday, August 3. After that, you
will have to take your chances on whether or not you would be accepted for
the session. Here we are at the end of July already, with radio camp coming
up on August 16. There is a lot going on at handiham headquarters as we
prepare for the Minnesota radio camp session. This upcoming camp will be a
most unusual one in that most of our campers are planning to study operating
skills rather than participate in the licensing classes. While there is
nothing wrong with this, it does worry me a little bit that we have only one
camper signed up to take the Technician course. The Technician represents
the entry point into amateur radio, and it is the way we get "new blood".
Without bringing in new people, amateur radio will eventually fade away. I'm
not sure exactly what the reason for this phenomenon is, because in past
years we have had a relatively healthy interest in Technician. We are still
committed to providing radios to our campers who pass Technician at Camp, a
program started by Gary Gordon, K6KV.

Of course there are other things going on this year. The most obvious is
that we are in the throes of a deep economic recession, and financial
concerns can cause people to decide not to come to radio camp. Once our
handiham members attend a radio camp, they usually want to come back again.
It is the new campers, the ones who would be in Technician, who are the
hardest to recruit. After all, they don't know what they are getting into.
They have no idea how modern and comfortable the camp experience is at
Courage North. Perhaps they have not traveled far from home before and are
uncomfortable taking that first step toward greater independence. Whatever
the reason, we need to do something to get these numbers up next year. I
would really like to see at least a half dozen new campers going for their
Technician licenses. What can we do to make this happen? I would like to
hear from you.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx
Handiham Manager

  _____

Avery's QTH - Take the HT for a boat ride? Sure!

Will, KC0LJL, on the sialboat

Image: KC0LJL gets ready for a sailboat ride. HT optional but recommended.
This photo is several years old, and Will has a beard now and is a junior at
University. How time flies!

Welcome once again to my Humble QTH

Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes, or so they say.

Really there are several hundred more lakes than that, but they round it
down to 10,000 because of the nice round number I think. In the summer many
people take to boating. In fact, one (NON-ham) club I know had a meeting on
an island that can only be reached by boat, so people either needed their
own boat or had to hitch a ride with someone who did. And so this makes a
nice entry to the newer HT's that meet mil specs and can be used after being
dunked in up to three feet of water. This means that the spray from the boat
will not make any difference in the operation of the HT, and taking it along
while boating is a very good idea.

Who knows? You just might run out of gas and be stranded out in the middle
of a lake too large to swim back to shore.

I will not mention any names, but I know some people this happened to and
the HT they had was used to call to shore and get someone to come out with
extra gas and fill them up. If you are in a sailboat, the wind might stop
and that means you don't move. Again an HT could be used to get someone to
come with a tow back to shore.

The same is true if you are using one of those electric motors used for
fishing and the battery goes out on you. Here again the trusty old HT will
get you help.

Cell phones? Sure, everyone has them, but if they get wet do they meet mil
specs and still work? I am not sure, but I don't think so. That could be a
very iffy situation.

Most HT's have a wrist strap and if you are in a boat, you should use that
wrist strap. Most HT's use the metal frame as a heat sink, which would also
be a very heavy wet sink and cause the HT to hurry to the bottom a lake
should it fall overboard somehow. It may not be a bad idea to attach a
longer strap to the wrist strap and connect it to your life jacket, so in
case you get dumped overboard and it flies out of your hand, you will have
prevented the HT from going to the bottom of the lake? which could be quite
deep!

Be sure your batteries are fully charged and have a spare along just in case
if you are using rechargeables. If you are using non-rechargeables you
should have another set of very fresh batteries just in case.

Also, you will have a very difficult time trying to set up the HT while
speeding along into the waves on a lake while the boat is bumping up and
down going over the water so have your HT preprogrammed. Put in the repeater
(tones) and simplex frequencies well before you head out for your day of
fishing, water skiing, just getting some sun, or what have you on the lake.

Like buying insurance, you hope you don't need it but if you do, that HT
could be very helpful out on the lake.

So until next time

73 es DX de K0HLA Avery

You can reach me Monday and Wednesday at:
763-520-0515 or
Avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/521%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

·        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/521>  version

·        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/521>  to friend

  _____

Letters

UHF Contest - Your Help Needed!!

cartoon runner, running a race

Hi All -

We need your help for a special contesting effort.

Next weekend (Aug 1-2) is the ARRL UHF Contest. It runs from 1 pm Saturday
until 1 pm Sunday and you can operate on any of the bands from 222 MHz and
up.

We will be operating from Buck Hill Ski Area in Burnsville, MN with all
bands from 222 MHz through 24 GHz. Our call will be W0AUS. We have been
planning this multi-op for almost a year now. Most bands will have good
power to very short feedlines with the antennas up on top of the ski hill.

Do you ever look in QST and see the same stations winning the same contests
over and over? This is the case with most VHF contests. There is a
super-station multi-op in WMA with the call W2SZ. They have great operators,
great equipment and seem to win almost all the time.

We want to change that. Not only do we want to win the category but we want
to break the all-time score in the process. We've been working to get every
available operator on the air for the UHF Contest and we have several rovers
that will be out portable.

We need your help to be active in the contest and work our multi-op (and
everyone else you can hear). Our multi-op will be calling on 222.115 MHz and
432.115 MHz on SSB and CW. We will also be calling throughout the contest on
223.5 MHz and 446.0 MHz FM. Every QSO will help us get closer to our goal.

Thanks in advance for your help! We're praying for good weather and some
good propagation!

73 Rich N0HJZ

***

Pat,

Just ran across the handiham history at http://www.handiham.org/node/491
which jogged some good memories of the early days of PICO and W0ZSW. We did
have some good times at the PICO picnics in the mid 60s. I did, however,
discover an error in names. WA0EPX was Don Johnson from Fremont, MN, and I
believe he is now an SK.

73 Ron K0FTB

Thanks for that correction, Ron!

  _____

Radio Camp Registration Closing Date

Radio Camp Registration Closing Date

You had better hurry if you want to be part of Minnesota Radio Camp! The
deadline is Monday, August 3. After that, you have to take your chances on a
waiting list. Be part of this exciting and fun week of amateur radio,
learning, and friendship. Call today: 1-866-426-3442. Leave a message with
your call back number and we will contact you. You may also email us anytime
at  <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Minnesota Radio Camp application forms are online. The sooner we hear from
you, the better -- if you are planning to join us at this summer's session.
One of the summer camps that had been held at Courage North in previous
years has been canceled, which means that people who could not get into that
session may want to apply for the Radio Camp. Incidentally, you can e-mail
us with your ideas for projects and topics at the upcoming Minnesota Radio
Camp session. Thanks for all your ideas so far!

Join us this August at Minnesota Radio Camp. Download the camp application
package, which contains information pages and the forms you need to apply
for camp. Camp starts on Sunday, August 16, and finishes on Sunday, August
23. It's a week of extraordinary fun, during which you can earn your ham
radio license or just get on the air. And it can cost as little as $240 for
the week. There are two choices for formats, either Microsoft Word
or Adobe PDF.

*       Download Word Forms <http://handiham.org/manuals/forms/mncamp/word/>

*       Download PDF Forms <http://handiham.org/manuals/forms/mncamp/pdf/>
*       Not sure? <http://www.handiham.org/node/358>   Take a photo tour!

Having trouble downloading or have questions about Radio Camp or Handihams?
Just email Pat, wa0tda@xxxxxxxx, anytime.

  _____

Handiham history: Technology changes

Handiham history: Technology changes

History reminds us that technology changes! The Summer, 1991 edition of
Handiham World announced some brand-new equipment at Headquarters:

"New equipment at headquarters: The gift of Tone Indexing equipment and a
Braille Embosser with accompanying software were acquired through a grant
from the Jane McCarthy Gladys Smith Fund. These items will make it possible
for Handihams to produce some Braille material. The Tone Indexer allows the
cassette reader to locate a specific page or chapter by fast forwarding and
listening to the beep tone. These will be welcome items to better serve the
needs of members."

Of course today tone indexing equipment is passé, because cassette tape
technology is fading quickly. The computer brailler is still around, but we
no longer use it because if we need something Brailled it is cheaper to use
an outside source like Maureen Pranghofer, KF0I, who runs her own business.
You can visit her website at:
http://www.brailleit.com

You may very well ask why Maureen does a better job at Brailling than we
could using our own equipment. Well, for one thing, she reads Braille and we
don't. That makes it pretty difficult for us to find a mistake in a Braille
document. Also, she has the latest equipment and can Braille on two-sided
paper. It is amazing how far this technology has come since 1991!

·        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/522>  version

·        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/522>  to friend

  _____

Twitter 101

As we plan for the largest Operating Skills class we have ever had at radio
camp, we are collecting topics - suggestions for things we can learn about
during the week. One of the more unusual was that more handiham members
would like to learn what Twitter is all about. So, one of the things we will
be talking about in operating skills at Minnesota Radio Camp will be how to
use the twitter website and what the Twitter service is all about. Believe
it or not, many, many amateur radio operators have Twitter accounts and use
the service for a variety of amateur radio related communications, including
DX spots. Another possible topic is the social networking website Facebook.
Many of us have Facebook accounts and have "friended" other amateur radio
operators using this popular site. Friended? Yes, that is what you call
connecting with someone on Facebook and sharing contact details of your
Facebook website with them. It's more new terminology for a new age, which
is just another reason why covering topics like this at radio camp will be a
lot of fun, and possibly even useful!

  _____

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net happy guy with headset

Please join us and check in or simply listen in, as you see fit:

When:

Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM)
GMT: Thursday morning at 00:30 Z

Where:

145.450 MHz N0BVE repeater (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
Node 89680 (EchoLink worldwide)
IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

Everyone is welcome. You do not need to be a member, and the net is relaxed,
friendly, and informal.

By the way, our Net Manager Howard, KE7KNN, reminds us that we need net
control stations for the Wednesday evening net and for the Monday through
Saturday morning net. If you are in the Twin Cities, all you need is a radio
that can get on the 145.45 N0BVE repeater, and if you live outside the RF
area, you can still be net control via EchoLink, IRLP, or WIRES.

  _____

You can be a Volunteer Examiner

ARRL logoYou know what a Volunteer Examiner, sometimes called a "VE", does,
right? Yes, Volunteer Examiners administer amateur radio exams under the
auspices of a guiding organization called a VEC, or Volunteer Examiner
Coordinator. Recently I had a question about the ARRL VE Manual, which
prompted me to check out the text version that we had on our website in the
manuals section. I discovered that the manual we had was out of date, so
this past week I have been working on extracting the text from the current
version, The ARRL VE manual Ninth Edition. The text needs to be extracted
because the manual is in PDF, and navigating the text as a blind user is not
all that easy. There is plenty of formatting to be removed to make the flow
of the text smooth and logical. Although I don't claim to have done a
perfect job, it does read pretty well right now. You can login to the
members section for links to this current VE manual in two formats, plain
text and Daisy. For the Daisy version, you download a DNA file and use the
free IRTI software called eClipseWater to reconstruct a complete daisy book
on your computer. Once constructed, the book can be transferred to other
devices, such as a Victor Reader Stream, or it can be read on your computer
using a free daisy reading program like AMIS.

One question we sometimes get from handiham members is, "I am blind, so can
I still become a VE?"

The answer is yes! This question is one of many that will be answered for
you when you read the ARRL VE Manual Ninth Edition. Please let me know if
you read this new book on our website and give me feedback on improvements
that need to be made.

  _____

This week at Headquarters:

·        The Friday audio lectures return again this week.  Audio will be
posted on Friday.

·        W0ZSW, our headquarters station, will be moving. We will have more
news about this move next week. W0EQO, which resides at Courage North, will
not be affected.  W0JH, at Courage St. Croix, is also unaffected.

·        Plans for a second Handiham Remote Base station are in the
discussion stage. More news as it happens!

·        The Handiham audio tape offerings are being trimmed significantly.
Many titles that have not been popular are being dropped this week. This
does not affect the monthly 4-track digest.  As a result, the book & tape
catalog is not quite accurate, and some titles will not be available,
although they are listed.

·        Help wanted: Net control station needed to take over the 14.265 MHz
Monday net! Email us at wa0tda@xxxxxxxx if you can help. You will need at
least a General class license or the equivalent HF license if you live
outside the USA.

·        Bob Zeida, N1BLF, has recorded audio of the August QST and
Worldradio digests, so check out the audio page. The Friday notification
email will have a link. If you are a member and are not getting the Friday
audio lectures notification, let us know and we will get you on the list.

*       In Operating Skills:

*       Volunteer reader Ken Padgitt, W9MJY, reads the August "Doctor is in"
column from QST for our blind members.
*       Login to the <http://handiham.org/user>  member section of the
Handiham website and find the magazine digests in the Library. The QST, CQ,
and Worldradio digests have been read by Bob Zeida, N1BLF.

*       Stay in touch!  Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
us.

Reminder:  Handiham renewals are now on a monthly schedule - Please renew or

*       Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year.
*       Join for three years at $30.
*       Lifetime membership is $100.
*       If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for the
year.
*       Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our
activities.
*       Discontinue your membership.

Your support is critical! Please help.

email: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ask for a free DVD about the Handiham System. It?s perfect for your club
toll-free.

DONATE USED HAM GEAR

1-866-426-3442 toll-free Help us get new hams on the air.

FREE! Get the Handiham E-Letter by email every Wednesday, and stay
up-to-date with ham radio news.

*       You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org
<http://www.handiham.org/> .
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

? Beginner
? General
? Extra
? Operating Skills

  _____

Pat, WA0TDA
Manager, Courage Handi-ham System
Reach me by email at:  <mailto:patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*       Nancy, Handiham Secretary: hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Jerry, N0VOE, Student Coordinator: hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Avery, K0HLA, Educational Coordinator: avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Pat, WA0TDA, Manager, patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Radio Camp email: radiocamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ARRL </p />

fill out the paperwork!

your new address.

·        By wa0tda at 07/29/2009 - 19:55

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/523%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

·        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/523>  version

·        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/523>  to friend