[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 7 October 2009

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:55:52 -0500

System <http://handiham.org> . Please do not reply to this message. Use the
contact information at the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Avery at W0ZSW - last QSO from Courage Center

Photo: Last QSO from Courage Center marks end of an era - Avery Finn, K0HLA,
is net control for the last Handiham net and made the last radio contact
from the station at Courage Center in Golden Valley, MN.

The Handiham headquarters station was moved this week from Courage Center to
Camp Courage, Maple Lake, Minnesota. The last day of operation was Monday,
October 5, 2009, when Avery, K0HLA, ran the daily Handiham net.  The
stations who checked in will receive QSL cards from us, thanks to Avery's
diligence in keeping a log and filling out the cards for today's mail.  We
did not make any official announcement ahead of time, so whether or not you
were a member of this select group of stations simply depended upon your
being there.  So always show up for your nets - you never know when
something special will happen.

This reminds me of when Jerry Kloss, N0VOE, and I were talking about our
kids. At that time, my son Will was just a little guy - probably in
Kindergarten.

Jerry told me, "Enjoy it while you can - all those wonderful experiences -
they grow up before you know it."

That really did turn out to be true. Will, KC0LJL, is 20 now and studying in
Tokyo. Over the years I have remembered Jerry's words, and I now think back
to the times I carried my son up the stairs and put him to bed.  I thought
to myself each time, "I wonder if this will be the last time I carry Will
upstairs."

Then, one time it was.

I don't remember exactly what day it was, but that last time did arrive and
I'm sure I wondered if it would be the last time I held my son in my arms
and climbed the stairs. There were plenty of other last times to remember,
too. A last time I fed him while he sat in his high chair. A last time he
played with his stuffed Big Bird toy. A last time he rode his tricycle. His
last day of elementary school.  That last day of high school.

The point is that last times happen all the time.  Life is relentless that
way. Oh, sure, we may plan to visit a relative we have not seen in years,
but circumstances may change and instead we are attending a funeral. That
trip you have always wanted to take, and could have when you had the chance,
might be out of reach today because of the recession.  That radio club
meeting you didn't attend at the end of last season's meeting season...
well, that might have been the last time you got to visit with your friends,
some of whom have moved to other places and jobs.

Don't miss a chance to enjoy life, to stay in touch with your friends, to be
a part of ham radio.  There is an old  joke reminding us that no one ever
said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had sat on the couch and  watched
more television."

Now, get out there and get on the air.  Don't pass up an opportunity to talk
with your friends. Go, go, go!

For Handiham World, I'm...

Patrick Tice, wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

Avery's QTH

Avery's QTH - Avery with Collins rig

Welcome once again to my humble QTH:

Although Avery's QTH may be a "once in awhile edition", for the most part
this will be the last one.

It has been quite an honor and privilege to be allowed to come into your QTH
once a week with various kinds of Amateur Related news and information that
I hope helped you become better ham radio operators.

I now have a favor to ask of each and every one of you.

Many of the questions people have asked me took a considerable amount of
time to research and became part of my Article. Many of the questions people
have asked were very fast answers to find and were looked up and sent back
in an email.

With just two people on the staff after today, there will be the same amount
of work to do but with one less person to help out. You can save them a lot
of time if:

Before you email in a question, see if you can find out the answer all by
yourself. You are much more likely to remember the answer if you have to
research something than if you just ask someone and they reply right away,
or so one of my former teachers once told me.

Only if you have not been able to find the answer should you email in your
question. It works a whole better that way. Calling just doesn't work very
well for a number of reasons. When you do have a question make it just that.
One question per email is best. If you ask more than one thing, it becomes a
"laundry list" and that can become very confusing.

Did you know that an email that covers several different topics usually just
gets put aside and never answered? The reason is that the person who has to
figure out all the answers thinks, "There is so much here that I'll just get
to it later."

But then they never do, and hundreds of other emails later, your email
laundry list is long since forgotten. Had you written about one topic, you
would have already had a quick reply.

Well, you say, "Where do I find the answers?

Think about it. If you have a question on a piece of ham gear, go to the
manufacturer's website. If you have "X" brand car, when you have problem
with it that is where you go with it - back to "X". It is silly to call the
"Y" manufacturer because they are not knowledgeable in that other brand.
Sometimes you can go to a dealer that is authorized to do factory warranty
on the brand because they have the answer or can get it.

The same thing is true with things like Echolink. If you have a problem with
EchoLink, you should go back to them as they know the software and no one
else has much of a clue as to what it is. True, they do not have a staff to
answer the questions you should be able to find yourself on
www.echolink.org, but that is part of being a licensed amateur radio
operator. You will be surprised what you can do for yourself, and you will
gain knowledge, experience, and pride in solving your own problems.

Sometimes, someone in your local club will be able to help with a problem
you have worked on yourself and just cannot solve. In fact, many problems we
have gotten questions about over the years were ones we had to refer to
local clubs anyway. EchoLink firewall problems, cranky computers, antenna
hookups, and many other things are just not possible to fix over a long
distance, whether by phone or by email. Participate and be part of your
local radio club, and you can not only have fun working on club projects
together, but you can help each other!

Thank you for all your help in this matter.

73 es DX de K0HLA Avery
You can reach me on the Ham bands

Editor's note: Today is Avery's last day at work in the Handiham office. He
plans to be on the air, play more chess, and do some volunteer work. Happy
retirement, Avery!

Tom Fogarty, KB0FWQ, and Avery Finn, K0HLA, on Avery's last day at Courage
Center.
Photo: Director of Courage Center Camping, Tom Fogarty, KB0FWQ,
congratulates Avery Finn, K0HLA, on a job well done at Handihams. Mimi
Fogarty and Colleen Bown also stopped by to wish Avery well.

Avery can be reached at his ARRL email address:
 <mailto:k0hla@xxxxxxxx> k0hla@xxxxxxxx

A TIPSnet "thank you" to Hap Holly for joining us Tuesday.  Here is the
audio archive link:

http://www.tipsnet.org/TIPSaudio/tipsnet_kc9rp.mp3

73,

John West, N1IWT
TIPSnet Program & Publicity Manager  <http://www.tipsnet.org>
www.tipsnet.org
Email: N1IWT@xxxxxxxxxxx

860-628-6454

Fostering International Friendship Through Amateur Radio C

  _____

This week at Headquarters:

WA0PYN & K0HLA pose by pickup truck loaded with gear.
This week we moved equipment out of the storage area and disconnected and
moved the station equipment. Thanks to volunteer Mark Booth, WA0PYN, and
Avery, K0HLA, who pose in this photo next to Mark's fully-loaded F-150
pickup truck.

Gear stacked up on the front passenger seat of Mark's truck.
Inside the cab of the F-150. No room to spare here!

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/476> We are on Twitter!

 <http://www.handiham.org/sites/default/files/images/ham_mobile.jpg> We are
on Twitter!

Look for us on Twitter by searching for "handiham". We invite you to follow
us. Handiham web page posts are now "tweeted" automatically!

.         Next week is office moving week. We will be open Monday, but
closed the rest of the week. Check Handiham.org for updates to this
schedule.  Thank you for your patience.

.         Our Contact information is the same:

763-520-0512 (Nancy)
763-520-0511 (Pat)

hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.         Tentative MN Radio Camp dates for 2010, Camp Courage:

Arrive Friday, May 21

Class days: Sa, Su, M, Tu, W

VE Exam Day: Th

Depart Friday, May 28

.         VOLLI is now in service.  It stands for VOLunteer Log In, and is a
way for our Handiham volunteers to register and then enter their volunteer
hours without having to fool around with paper records.  We encourage
volunteers to create a username and password, then submit their hours spent
recording audio, doing club presentations for us, and so on. Volunteer hours
are important, because United Way funding depends in part on volunteer
hours. If you are a volunteer and need a link to VOLLI, please email me at
wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx Our special thanks to my son Will, KC0LJL, who wrote the
Java code for VOLLI. He is studying in Tokyo this semester and sends a big
"hello" to our readers and listeners.

.         The Friday audio lectures return  this week.  There will be new
lectures posted by early afternoon on Friday, and a notification will be
sent by email.

.         The Remote Base at Courage North is in service. Please feel free
to use this wonderful member resource.

.         Remote Base users who try the built-in IRB sound feature instead
of SKYPE are encouraged to send us reports on how the audio worked.

.         Bob Zeida, N1BLF, has recorded audio of the October Worldradio and
CQ digests, so check out the audio page. The Friday notification email will
have a link. If you are a member and are not getting the Friday audio
lectures notification, let us know and we will get you on the list.

.         Our new volunteer reader for QST is Michael Gregg, KA5EXI. Michael
is just completing his first digest of audio with the October issue, and I
think you will agree that he does a great job with nice, clear diction and
good technical quality.  As always, check the audio page for the latest
updates. One thing that I would like to have our blind members comment on is
the way we present the QST articles. Would it be useful to break up the
audio into distinct articles? Since this is the way Michael is recording
them, it might be practical to offer that option. Email me at
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx to comment.

.         In Operating Skills:

o    Volunteer reader Ken Padgitt, W9MJY, reads the October "Doctor is in"
column from QST for our blind members.

o    Login to the member section of the Handiham <http://handiham.org/user>
website and find the magazine digests in the Library.

.         Stay in touch!  Be sure to send Nancy your change of address,
phone number changes, or email address changes so that we can continue to
stay in touch with you. You may either email Nancy at
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or call her toll-free at 1-866-426-3442. Mornings
are the best time to contact us.

  _____

Elsewhere:

Found by Ken, KB3LLA - ThinkGeek Star Trek USB Communicator

Leave it to Ken to come up with this geeky gizmo: A Star Trek Communicator
that hooks to your computer via a USB cable and can actually be used for a
speaker-microphone communications device. Plus, it makes nifty
communicator-like sounds, just like the ones on the TV show!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/bd48/

What's that beam heading, Scotty?

  _____

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net happy guy with headset

Today is Wednesday, and that means the Handiham EchoLink net will be on the
air. Please join us and check in or simply listen in, as you see fit:

When:

Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM)
GMT: Thursday morning at 00:30 Z

Where:

145.450 MHz N0BVE repeater (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
Node 89680 (EchoLink worldwide)

By the way, our Net Manager Howard, KE7KNN, reminds us that we need net
control stations for the Wednesday evening net and for the Monday through
Saturday morning net. If you are in the Twin Cities, all you need is a radio
that can get on the 145.45 N0BVE repeater, and if you live outside the RF
area, you can still be net control via EchoLink, IRLP, or WIRES.

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year.

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for

email: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

1-866-426-3442 toll-free -- Help us get new hams on the air.

Free! Get the Handiham E-Letter by email every Wednesday, and stay
up-to-date with ham radio news.

.         You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

Reach me by email at:  <mailto:patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.         Nancy, Handiham Secretary: hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.         Pat, WA0TDA, Manager, patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.         Radio Camp email: radiocamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.         By wa0tda at 10/07/2009 - 20:39

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/581%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

.         Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/581>  version

.         Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/581>  to friend