[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 6 May 2009

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 13:14:22 -0500

Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 6 May 2009

System <http://handiham.org> . Please do not reply to this message. Use the
contact information at the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Handihams planning for Dayton HAMVENTION

Handihams planning for Dayton HAMVENTION

Image: Pat, WA0TDA, peeks out from behind a display at the Handiham booth
during a previous Hamvention.

It is hard to believe that it is the month of May already, and that means
that it is nearly time for the biggest and best ham radio get-together,
Hamvention(tm) in Dayton, Ohio. Thanks to support from a generous donor,
John Hoenshell, N0BFJ, who underwrites much of the expense, we are once
again able to have a booth on the Hamvention floor. If you are planning to
attend, and we certainly hope that you are, please stop by booth 322 and pay
us a visit. Hamvention begins on Friday, May 15th and runs through the
weekend of the 16th and 17th.

As you might expect, we are busy getting ready for the big show. Next week
we will be even more shorthanded at the Handiham office than usual, but we
feel that it is important to have a presence at Hamvention, and this show in
particular is going to be a good one because it is also the site of the ARRL
National Convention. If you are able to attend, you will not want to miss
the ARRL EXPO, which is a showcase of exhibits and activities to enhance
your ham radio experience. It is open to ARRL members and nonmembers alike,
and features official ARRL program representatives, activities (including
activities for youth), and forums.

When you stop by the Handiham booth, you will be able to sign our guest
register. We always have a few extra chairs if you want to sit down and talk
with us for while. If you are a wheelchair user, you will find that we
always place our display table at the very back of the booth, which allows
you to bring your wheelchair into our area and get out of the main traffic
stream in the aisle.

Ken, KB3LLA, Handiham Radio Club President, will be at the booth whenever he
isn't out somewhere on the show floor finding out about all the new amateur
radio gear. I will be there, as will Handiham volunteers John Hoenshell,
N0BFJ, and John Pedley, N0IPO. If you hang around too much, we will put you
to work as a greeter and Handiham representative!

So consider the welcome mat out and waiting for you. We hope you can stop by
and see us in person, but if not, we are going to try to get on the Handiham
EchoLink Net on Saturday and on the same node and frequency at other times
throughout the day on Saturday. This all depends on whether or not we are
able to get a reliable Internet connection, so no promises.

I hope to see you there!

The official Hamvention website is here:
http://www.hamvention.org/

The ARRL National Convention announcement website is here:
http://www.arrl.org/announce/nc/2009/dayton.html

By the way... Jerry, N0VOE, did a great job with today's EchoLink net.
Thanks to Jerry and all of our net participants!

  _____

Avery's QTH: Ham radio in the good old summertime

Avery's QTH: Ham radio in the good old summertime

Image: Avery gets a head start to summer ham radio fun at a recent
HAMVENTION. Here he is, posing in the flea market outside on a nice, sunny
day.

Welcome once again to my humble QTH:

I received a hard copy newsletter in the postal mail from one of the local
Amateur Radio clubs. It appears there is something going on almost every
other weekend this summer that is Amateur Radio related.

There are plenty of places for amateur radio to be right out in front like
Field Day, for example. Part of Field Day is to have local news media out
and have the event published in a newspaper on radio and TV. Some of the
events are just for members of one club, like when they have their annual
picnic.

But there are other events where the Amateur Radio event taking place is
behind the scenes and not many people are even aware that it is going on.

Marathons and parades are very good examples of behind the scenes
operations. Many times the general public has no idea the hams were even
there. Yet, the hams are very active keeping track of runners in a marathon
and which ones the medical people want checked on at the next mile marker.
Also! Who has dropped out and may need a ride back to the starting line.
Similar things are happening along parade routes. Which float just broke
down and needs a service truck tow it out of the way and see if it can be
fixed so it can continue along the way. People in very hot costumes may be
near passing out and may need something to cool them down. In one very large
local parade here in my area there is a park where the parade ends and off
to one side of the park is a fire hydrant and every year the fire department
opens the fire hydrant just enough so a very fine spray shoots up in the air
and covers about a 20 foot diameter circle. As the parade reaches the park,
the people climb out of those hot outfits and take a nice cooling walk
through the spraying water.

Well, so now you have fire, police, and medical people all working in one
event. They can only talk to another unit in their own department. AH! But
if you put a ham radio operator in a squad car with an officer and another
ham in a fire engine and still another in a medical unit and still another
at each of the dispatchers, now all of a sudden there is communications
going on among all the different departments and each knows what the other
is doing. Hardly ever do you hear about this kind of activity, though. The
hams just figure it is a job that needs to be done, and so there is not much
published about it.

True! The HF bands will be for the most part not very good during the summer
months. There may be a few surprises now and again, but not until Fall will
the conditions get better. For people using the newer digital technologies
this is of little concern anyway, but for people into DXing and contesting
there is considerable concern.

OH! The weather is too hot or rainy to go out much… well, so now would be a
great time to sit down in your favorite easy chair turn on the air
conditioning to a level that is comfortable and study for that up-grade.

What! You have up-graded already? Well, okay, so take out a book and read up
on some of that information you really didn't understand when you took the
exam. The pressure is off since you have your license now, so just take your
time and go through the information at your own rate and dig out all that
good stuff there.
Somewhere in your Amateur Radio adventures you will come across something
and think back: “Oh yeah, that is why that question was in the exam. That
is why they wanted me to know that.”

Just because the summer months are not so great for HF operation doesn't
mean you can't have fun as an Amateur Radio operator in the summer too.

So for now
73 es DX de K0HLA, Avery

You can reach me Monday & Wednesday
Until 1:30 PM Minneapolis Time at:
763-520-0515
Or email me at:
avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/448%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

・        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/448>  version

・        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/448>  to friend

  _____

Poll question for today:

Will you work any meteor scatter Wednesday, 6 May 2009, as we enter a debris
trail from Halley's Comet? Use your "back" button to continue reading your
newsletter after voting.

Yes, I will at least listen and try to work some stations.

No, I don't work meteor scatter.

・        By wa0tda <http://www.handiham.org/user/2>  at 05/04/2009 - 12:13

・        Add new <http://www.handiham.org/comment/reply/447#comment-form>
comment

・        Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/447>  version

・        Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/447>  to friend

  _____

Windows 7 is JAWS-friendly

Are you planning to make the change to the next version of Windows, the one
called "Windows 7"? Beta testers have been working with this newest version
of Windows for months now, and the question always arises about
accessibility for people who use screen readers and other accessibility
tools. We are happy to report that it is "so far, so good" for accessibility
in this next Windows release. You may want to listen to an audio report on
the subject from the accessibleworld.org website:

Tek
<http://www.accessibleworld.org/content/tek-talk-presents-review-windows-7-r
ick-harmon>  Talk Presents a review of Windows 7 by Rick Harmon

We would also like to hear from anyone who is beta testing Windows 7 with
ham radio applications.

  _____

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/450> Events by N1YXU

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/450> Events by N1YXU

May Events

I hope each of you is well and that your radios have been used in the very
recent past! There are quite a few amateur radio activities that you can
participate in during the month of May - Contests, special events, and nets
are some. Please take some time to review the activities.

Until next month….

Regards,
- Laurie Meier, N1YXU
n1yxu@xxxxxxxx

Table of Contents:

・        Read more on the Handiham website.
<http://www.handiham.org/node/450>

  _____

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net happy guy with headset

Tonight you will have an opportunity to meet your friends on the Handiham
net. Remember, the first Wednesday net of the month has a training topic.

The special topic that Net Manager Howard, KE7KNN, would like to have
discussed is what to do with a net when there is bad weather, such as
thunderstorm activity, in the area of the scheduled Net Control Station. The
idea would be to have another station take up net control duties. This
secondary NCS would be outside the geographic area of the thunderstorm
activity. The discussion tonight should center around how a net should be
handled when thunderstorm activity is approaching, and may even include some
discussion about safety. Above all, another station from a different area
should be willing to step in as a net control.

Please join us and check in or simply listen in, as you see fit:

When:

Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM)
GMT: Thursday morning at 00:30 Z

Where:

145.450 MHz N0BVE repeater (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
Node 89680 (EchoLink worldwide)

By the way, our Net Manager Howard, KE7KNN, reminds us that we need net
control stations for the Wednesday evening net and for the Monday through
Saturday morning net. If you are in the Twin Cities, all you need is a radio
that can get on the 145.45 N0BVE repeater, and if you live outside the RF
area, you can still be net control via EchoLink, IRLP, or WIRES.

  _____

Take the FEMA incident command introduction course:

An emergency drill will involve the use of the Incident Command System. We
should briefly review this. Folks could take IS-100 on the FEMA-Emergency
Management Institute website:

http://emilms.fema.gov/IS100A/index.htm

Email me when you have taken and passed the course:
<mailto:patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau

The Consumer Complaint Management System (CCMS) can help the FCC serve
people with disabilities. Consumers can access this complaint form at:
<http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/form2000c.html>
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/form2000c.html.

The Commission receives many inquiries and complaints that do not involve
violations of the Communications Act, a Commission rule, or a Commission
order. The existence of a complaint does not necessarily indicate wrongdoing
by the company at issue. For more information regarding access to
telecommunications for people with disabilities and other related matters,
visit the FCC's Disability Rights Office (DRO) website at:  <http://www.fcc.
gov/cgb/dro>
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/dro.

Did you ever notice how everything at the FCC needs to have an acronym like
DRO? I guess as amateur radio operators, we have our share, so we probably
can't point fingers!

  _____

Is a new sunspot finally going to show up?

Spaceweather.com thinks so: Is a new-cycle sunspot in the offing? Readers
with solar telescopes could see it emerge as early as May 7th or 8th. Visit
http://spaceweather.com for images, movies and updates.

  _____

This week at Headquarters:

・        The Handiham Remote Base went off-line unexpectedly on Monday. The
outage began in the early afternoon when power was lost at Courage North.
Tom, KB0FWQ, who lives at Courage North, got in the truck and drove down to
the main state highway to investigate. He found a power line crew removing
an Osprey nest from one of the high-voltage power lines. Since the power was
out for over an hour, the uninterruptible power supply at the remote base
performed an orderly shutdown of the remote base computer. Lyle, K0LR,
noticed that the system was off-line and had not returned to service, so he
called me on Monday evening. I confirmed that the station was off-line but
could not get hold of Tom to do a reboot of the remote base computer until
Tuesday. The remote base has returned to service and is functioning
normally. Tom reported to me that the mother Osprey was circling around the
power pole and he thought that it was pretty likely that she was going to
rebuild her nest as soon as the power line crew left. That's nature for you,
and a good lesson to all of us that technology can fail for even the most
unexpected reasons. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused
our remote base users. If you do discover that there is a problem with the
remote base, please e-mail me and let me know about it. My e-mail address is
wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

・        Minnesota Radio Camp application forms are online! The sooner we
hear from you, the better -- if you are planning to join us at this summer's
session. One of the summer camps that had been held at Courage North in
previous years has been canceled, which means that people who could not get
into that session may want to apply for the Radio Camp. Incidentally, you
can e-mail us with your ideas for projects and topics at the upcoming
Minnesota Radio Camp session. Thanks for all your ideas so far!

The waterfront at Lake George

Join us this August at Minnesota Radio Camp.

Download the camp application package, which contains information pages and
the forms you need to apply for camp. Camp starts on Sunday, August 16, and
finishes on Sunday, August 23. It's a week of extraordinary fun, during
which you can earn your ham radio license or just get on the air. And it can
cost as little as $240 for the week. There are two choices for formats,
either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF.

*       Download Word Forms <http://handiham.org/manuals/forms/mncamp/word/>

*       Download PDF Forms <http://handiham.org/manuals/forms/mncamp/pdf/>
*       Not <http://www.handiham.org/node/358>  sure?  Take a photo tour!

Having trouble downloading or have questions about Radio Camp or Handihams?
Just email Pat, wa0tda@xxxxxxxx, anytime.

Office hours this week: Our office is open the usual hours, but Nancy is not
in the office again until approximately May 11. Staff may not be able to
answer all of the phone calls, but please leave a message and we will get
back to you. Avery is in Mondays and Wednesdays. Pat is in Mondays,
Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Jerry, in his volunteer capacity, returns phone
calls and emails daily.

・        No new audio lectures this week! The Friday audio lectures will be
taking a two week break starting this week for the Mother's Day weekend and
next weekend during Hamvention. This Friday I will be moving my son Will,
KC0LJL, back from college. It is hard to believe he is halfway through
university already.  Late in August he will leave for a semester in Tokyo,
where I hope we can stay in touch via EchoLink!

・        The Handiham website will be updated daily, usually multiple times
a day as news breaks. I will even be able to update from Dayton.

*       In Operating Skills:

*       The May, 2009 issues of QST, CQ and WORLDRADIO magazines are in
audio digest for our blind members.
*       Volunteer reader Ken Padgitt, W9MJY, reads the May "Doctor is in"
column from QST for our blind members.
*       Login to the <http://handiham.org/user>  member section of the
Handiham website and find the magazine digests in the Library. The QST, CQ,
and Worldradio digests have been read by Bob Zeida, N1BLF.

*       Tape deliveries are late this month. Because of our staff shortage,
we are a bit later than usual with May digest audio tapes. We hope Nancy
will return to the office soon, but this is a good time to remind our tape
users that time is running out on this old technology as the National
Library Service, RFB&D, and others move to digital delivery systems. If you
can possibly get your audio delivery from our website instead of by tape,
you will get faster service, better audio quality with fewer hassles, and
you will save us money that can be better used for other things. (No, it
won't just go into our donut fund!)
*       Stay in touch!  Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or

email: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ask for a free DVD about the Handiham System. It’s perfect for your club

*       You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

* Beginner
* General
* Extra
* Operating Skills

Reach me by email at:  <mailto:patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*       Nancy, Handiham Secretary: hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Jerry, N0VOE, Student Coordinator: jerry.kloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Avery, K0HLA, Educational Coordinator: avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Pat, WA0TDA, Manager, patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Radio Camp email: radiocamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

・        By wa0tda at 05/06/2009 - 17:57

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/451%2523commen
t-form>  to post comments

・        Thumbnail
<http://www.handiham.org/sites/default/files/images/news_3.thumbnail.jpg>