[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 2 September 2009

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:32:42 -0500

System <http://handiham.org> . Please do not reply to this message. Use the
contact information at the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Second Base Umpire of Hugo Becomes a Librarian

Second Base Umpire of Hugo Becomes a Librarian

By George LaValle, N0SBU

I'm sure that all of you are aware that the Handiham headquarters office is
moving to Camp Courage near Maple Lake, MN. When I first heard about the
move, I asked Pat what would become of the tape program. He said it possibly
would also go to Camp Courage.

Since my volunteer duties include making up the monthly digest tapes, I felt
it would be a long trip to go out there to copy them. I offered to move all
of it to my home QTH here in Hugo, MN. Between last Thursday and this Monday
I was able to move all of it over here. I now have the tape library here in
my basement. I hope to have an updated tape list available soon as there
have been some changes to the list.

I would like to thank Pat, WA0TDA, Nancy our administrative assistant, and
of course Avery, K0HLA, who taught me how to use all of the equipment to
make the tape copies and what all of the different masters are for and why.

With their help we made this move seamless!

So from the "Hugo Tape Library" I would like to bid you a good week. Please
check out the Manuals and the Members Only pages on the Handiham website to
see what we have in our tape library. Give us a few weeks to reorganize,
though, and to get current information on the site.

73 from the Second Base Umpire of Hugo, N0SBU, George.

Now where did I put that last tape order that Nancy sent me?

Take a look at George's library setup in this Adobe Flash slide show:

  _____

Avery's QTH - We get set to make our move

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/223> Avery's QTH - Avery with puff & sip
keyer

Welcome once again to my humble QTH:

The BIG move is about to take place. The Handiham office will be moving from
Courage Golden Valley to Courage Maple Lake. Right now there are many
unknowns. In a way, it is kind of like when the explorers were first
crossing the mighty oceans on their tiny sailing ships. All they had was a
compass and the sun and stars to navigate by. If the compass was broken or
the sky was cloudy they were in trouble, for they had no other method to
find their way. Since we are moving for the first time, our move is like
that and we have many unanswered questions. How are the different programs
going to be run? Some may have to be put on the back burner and be left for
another time.

There may or may not be a new phone system, for example. It may not have all
the features that we have now. There may or may not be another location for
the drop off or shipping donated amateur radio equipment.

The offices may have to be shut down for a few days while the move is taking
place.

Where will all the furniture and cabinets go? How will they be arranged?

What about the radio room? Ah, yeah - that has to be figured out too.

How to get everything on the air from the new place? That will take some
thinking and some work as we put everything together. In the past visitors
were welcome to view the station and operate provided they had the correct
license. Will there be someplace for visitors to operate from at the new
location? Well, we sure hope so!

As those early sailors found out, the seas were not always calm. Sometimes
great storms were encountered. Well, there may be some major problems
involved in this BIG move. Right now we have no way of knowing.

So, what I am asking is that if you send an email or call us and you do not
receive an answer right away please have some patience and wait for us to
get back to you. If you call on each of our phones or send a ton of emails
or leave many phone mail messages on the same topic, it will just make the
situation worse. As I said, we are sailing in uncharted waters with a lot of
unknowns right now.

The number one priority is to make the move and getting things back to
normal as soon and as smoothly as possible. Anything and everything you can
do to help will be greatly appreciated.

So, until next time 73 es DX de K0HLA Avery

You can reach me Monday & Wednesday until 1:30 PM at: 763-520-0515 Or, you
can email me at:  <mailto:avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

Space Weather News for Sept. 2, 2009 recalls "geomagnetic megastorm":

" Northern Lights swept over Cuba and Hawaii. Telegraph offices caught fire.
Earth's magnetic field shook for nearly a week. That's what happened 150
years ago today when our planet experienced a shocking "geomagnetic
megastorm." Could it happen again?"

That is the question explored on today's edition of the
http://spaceweather.com report. Visit one of our favorite site a on the web
for this story, a report on the sunspot number (yes, there really is one in
stingy cycle 24), a daily report on solar winds, and all the solar weather a
ham radio operator might need to check out before deciding whether to spend
the weekend in the ham shack or outdoors mowing the lawn.

  _____

Ahoy, there!

Ahoy, there! Skipper Bill, K9BV, waves from his sailboat.

"Skipper" Bill, K9BV, sails off, framed by the HF antenna on the pontoon
boat.

The scene was at Handiham Radio Camp 2009, at Courage North on Lake George
(Minnesota). The photographer is "Cap'n" Bill, N0CIC. The pontoon boat is
always a favorite at Radio Camp, because it combines getting out on the
water with ham radio. How cool is that?

Band conditions were better than one might expect, allowing the "crew" to
work lots of stations on 20 meters. The rig was an Icom IC-718, powered
directly from the boat battery!

Although this was our last Radio Camp at Courage North, we will be
continuing the popular pontoon boat activity at Camp Courage, our new
location closer to the Twin Cities.

For information on the camps, drop me an email:

Jackson Harbor Press announces the Mcount2 kit

Jackson Harbor Press announces the Mcount2 kit

The popular Mcount kit is back, reincarnated as the Mcount2. The Mcount2 kit
is a frequency counter with Morse code output.

The kit has been changed from the original version. It is now a through-hole
kit with no surface mount parts. The prescaler has been eliminated, if
prescaling is needed (for counting VHF or UHF), the separate prescaler kit
would be required.

This is a neat little kit and a useful accessory for any ham shack, but it
is particularly useful for our blind members. In fact, Tom Fowle, WA6IVG,
has recorded an excellent audio tutorial on the earlier version. You can
find out more, including the link to the audio, on the Jackson Harbor Press
website:

http://home.att.net/~jacksonharbor/mcount2.htm

The cost will run around $20 with shipping and a couple of accessory parts,
so it won't bust your budget!

.       Printer-friendly <http://www.handiham.org/print/548>  version

.       Send <http://www.handiham.org/printmail/548>  to friend

  _____

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/551> Events by N1YXU

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/551> ic706.jpg

September Events

September is National Preparedness Month. Please take a few minutes to check
the following website: http://www.ready.gov/america/npm09/. We have several
activities in our local amateur radio area that are focused on hurricane
preparedness and awareness.

I hope that a few events listed this month will catch your attention. Enjoy!

Until next month..

Regards,
- Laurie Meier, N1YXU
n1yxu@xxxxxxxx

Continue reading:

.       Read more at: <http://www.handiham.org/node/551>
<http://www.handiham.org/node/551>

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net happy guy with headset

It's Wednesday, and that means the Handiham EchoLink net is on the air
tonight. Please join us and check in or simply listen in, as you see fit:

When:

Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM)
GMT: Thursday morning at 00:30 Z

Where:

145.450 MHz N0BVE repeater (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
Node 89680 (EchoLink worldwide)

By the way, our Net Manager Howard, KE7KNN, reminds us that we need net
control stations for the Wednesday evening net and for the Monday through
Saturday morning net. If you are in the Twin Cities, all you need is a radio
that can get on the 145.45 N0BVE repeater, and if you live outside the RF
area, you can still be net control via EchoLink, IRLP, or WIRES.

  _____

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/556> KB3LLA: Step by Step Instructions on How
to Sign Up for NLS Downloadable Books

 <http://www.handiham.org/sites/default/files/images/ca08_audio_device.jpg>
reading device

Handiham Radio Club President Ken Silberman, KB3LLA, reminds us that you can
download your accessible Library of Congress National Library Service audio
books and magazines directly to your computer for use on your reading
device, but you must qualify for NLS services. If you are blind or have a
qualifying disability that keeps you from reading regular print, you may
wish to use this new technology instead of cassette tape, or even the new
digital NLS audio players. You will need a computer and an internet
connection as well as NLS membership. If you already receive tape books from
NLS, you can access the service. The application page explains:

.       Read <http://www.handiham.org/node/556>  more on the Handiham
website at:  <http://www.handiham.org/node/556>

This week at Headquarters:

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/552> Office hours at Handiham HQ

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/552> tm_v71a.jpg

The Handiham office will be closed Friday, September 4 through Monday,
September 7 for a long USA Labor Day holiday. We will reopen on Tuesday
morning, September 8, when all staff will be in the office.

We wish you all a wonderful, safe holiday weekend. Maybe we will hear you on
the air! The daily Handiham Echolink net will be on the air every day but
Sunday, node 89680, 11:00 a.m. CDT.

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/476> We are on Twitter!

 <http://www.handiham.org/sites/default/files/images/ham_mobile.jpg> We are
on Twitter!

Look for us on Twitter by searching for "handiham". We invite you to follow
us.

.        The Friday audio lectures are off on vacation this week.

.        The Remote Base at Courage North is in service. Please feel free to
use this wonderful member resource.

.        Bob Zeida, N1BLF, has recorded audio of the September QST and
Worldradio digests, so check out the audio page. The Friday notification
email will have a link. If you are a member and are not getting the Friday
audio lectures notification, let us know and we will get you on the list.

.        Audio tape users will likely see a delay in production this month.
We encourage users of cassette audio to make the change to digital and
receive the clear, currently available audio from our website.

*       In Operating Skills:

*       Volunteer reader Ken Padgitt, W9MJY, reads the September "Doctor is
in" column from QST for our blind members.
*       Login to the <http://handiham.org/user>  member section of the
Handiham website and find the magazine digests in the Library.

*       Stay in touch!  Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or

Elsewhere:

MSNBC video: Japan unveils wheelchair <http://www.handiham.org/node/547>  of
the future - Check out this neat video of where wheelchair technology is
heading. The audio is great even if you cannot see the video itself.
<http://www.handiham.org/node/547>

email: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*       You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

Reach me by email at:  <mailto:patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>