[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 11 March 2009

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:05:23 -0500

Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of 11 March 2009

System <http://handiham.org> . Please do not reply to this message. Use the
contact information at the end, or simply email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This issue is being delivered in plain text, but is available in HTML with
graphics and photos. You can get the HTML version online at the following
link:

Free software tour: Discovering Audacity

Audacity screenshotIt has been a relentless winter here in the Northern
Hemisphere, so I thought it would be nice if we all took a bit of a holiday.
I can't afford a real holiday, but how about a tour? A virtual tour of some
of the best free software I have discovered over the years might be just the
thing to help us make the last dregs of winter go down a little easier!

Audacity: No, I am not talking about the kind of audacity than means being
bold. This Audacity is a free, open-source audio recording program for your
computer. It is cross-platform, which means that you can use  Mac OS X,
Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems to run Audacity.
The reason I want you to discover Audacity is that you will learn to use a
powerful recording tool, your computer, and learn to work with new recording
technology. If you have been frustrated as I have been over the years by
broken cassette tapes, the impossible situation of finding a place in the
middle of a cassette, editing tape audio, annoying tape hiss, and all the
rest of the problems that go along with analog tape recorders, you know what
I mean.

In this edition of your weekly Handiham World I am going to give you some
basic tips about how to find Audacity on the Internet. Some of you will be
brave enough to download and install Audacity and give it a try. Others may
be interested in learning more about basics of audio recording using a
computer. Either way, I would like you to take a look at the Audacity
website and then let me know if you are interested in learning more about
recording audio, audio editing, and converting one kind of audio to another.
The reason I am asking this question is that I am contemplating doing a
series of tutorials covering this topic. If there is enough interest out
there, we will cover it in some depth.

To get started, take a look at the Audacity website:
<http://audacity.sourceforge.net/>
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Did you take a look at the website? If so, you probably found the download
links. One question you might have is what is the difference between the
first download link, which refers to the "regular" version of Audacity,
versus the second download link, which refers to a "beta" version. I
recommend that you choose the latest beta version of Audacity. Although when
a software package is called "beta", that usually means it is not a final
release because it is a test version, I have found that with Audacity, the
beta version is very stable and functional. It will also have more useful
features then the so-called "stable" version.

You might also ask, "Is there anything on the Audacity website that might
help me learn how to use the program?"

The answer is that there is a very helpful "wiki", which is a
volunteer-maintained collection of tutorials. You can find it here:
<http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tutorials>
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tutorials

If you are blind, you may find some editing programs difficult to use. I
don't think you will find Audacity to be a problem. You will want to take a
look at the "Audacity for blind users" page:
<http://www.audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=AudacityForBlindUsers>
http://www.audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=AudacityForBlindUsers

This is where you are going to find keyboard shortcuts and ways to manage
audio if you cannot see the screen.

If you have already been using some other computer audio recording software,
you may be interested in learning Audacity as a backup to your regular
software.

I have tried several different software packages and have found Audacity to
be easy to learn and extraordinarily stable. I have yet to experience a
program crash using Audacity. Since the software is open source, you may
download, install, and use it without cost. Unlike shareware, there is no
limitation in the functionality of Audacity. Furthermore, Audacity has a
healthy following of users and programming contributors, so it is very
likely to be updated and get better and better in upcoming versions.

Frankly, there is no reason to pay for recording software when Audacity is
available. There are plenty of podcasts out there these days, including some
wonderful podcasts (like this one) about amateur radio and technology. I
produce the podcast and our online audio lectures for Extra Class using
Audacity. The audio quality is really quite good, now that I more or less
know what I am doing and have found a decent USB headset microphone and
really learned to use Audacity. You may be interested in Audacity because
you want to record audio notes for yourself during a contest, or perhaps you
want to make an amateur radio podcast of your own. Once you have Audacity in
your toolkit, you will find many uses for this versatile software in the ham
shack!

Next week: Ham Radio Deluxe.

Avery's QTH

Avery's QTH - snowman with HTWelcome once again to my humble QTH:

It seems like winter has to get in one last roar. We have been getting rain
and snow for awhile now, so roads are not very good to drive on. They are
very slippery in many places.

Now is a very good time to be monitoring those local repeaters just in case
someone needs help or happens upon an accident and has to get help. While it
is true many people are using cell phones to call in accidents, sometimes
the cell towers are overloaded with calls and do not work very well.
Everyone is calling everyone else to see if they are okay.

As amateur radio operators, we do not have that problem and can jump to a
simplex frequency if we can't find an active working repeater. Set your rig
on scan mode and monitor as many of the local repeaters you can hear, just
in case someone has an emergency and needs help. Some of the hams in the
more rural areas mount rigs on their snowmobiles so they can communicate
while out on their machines. People who do this have to be careful to
shock-mount the rigs as there is considerable vibration from the normal
operation of a snowmobile. Sometimes snowmobiles are used to bring supplies
to people stranded out in the country. Also, a snowmobile can be used to
pull a rescue sled that can transport an injured person to an area of
safety.

I used to live in a city that was considered out in the country and from my
back window I could see a very large empty field. One or more of the larger
AM Radio stations would list all the school and business closings on cold &
snow days.

Yes, the schools were closed. The major businesses were all closed because
people could not get in to work, but there out my back window in the dark
gray haze of the falling snow I could just make out 40 to 50 snowmobilers
having a great old time running around in the fields. The weather was too
bad for them to go to work but not so bad they couldn't go play on their
snowmobiles.

As I am sitting here at about 11:00 PM Minneapolis time I can hear the sound
of huge Hopkins, MN city trucks with plows mounted on them clearing the snow
out of the streets and parking lots in my part of the city. The blade makes
a sound all its own as it scrapes the pavement. The city trucks have radios
so they can communicate with each other and the dispatcher, but that won't
help people outside of the area they are in. That again is where those of us
who are licensed come in. We can be there listening should the call for help
come.

73 & DX from K0HLA, Avery

Remember: You can reach me Monday & Wednesday until 1:30 Minneapolis time
at:
763-520-0515
or
Email me at:
avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/371%2523commen

Heads up, everyone - satellite parts are raining down

Heads up, everyone - satellite parts are raining down

Space Weather News for March 10, 2009 is reporting that the first cataloged
fragments of shattered satellite Cosmos 2251 are about to reenter Earth's
atmosphere. According to US Strategic Command tracking data, reentries will
occur on March 12th, 28th and 30th, followed by more in April. You will
recall that in February the Iridium 33 and Cosmos 2251 communications
satellites collided over northern Siberia, an event that made all the news
for a day or two.

Space Weather News says that the remaining pieces "are probably
centimeter-class fragments that pose no threat to people on the ground."

Visit http://spaceweather.com for more information.

  _____

Old Radio

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/374>  <http://www.handiham.org/node/374> Old
radio - cathedral radio <http://www.handiham.org/node/374> By Patrick Tice,
WA0TDA

Most of us have only the fuzziest knowledge about the history of radio.
Sure, when we were in school we learned about history in a very general way
- an overview, really - that included a few of the inventions that we take
for granted today, but only in the limited context of a book that mostly
concentrated on geopolitical events like wars. I don't know about you, but
history as taught from a textbook in school was a real yawner.

One thing I do recall very clearly was back in 8th grade history, when the
teacher asked us, "What did Hoover do?"

"Invented the vacuum cleaner!", the class clown piped up.

Of course I know that President Hoover was more closely associated with the
Great Depression, a fact that is often repeated today in light of the
world's current economic woes, but it is clear that the humor injected into
an otherwise boring history class made it easy to remember Hoover's name. In
fact, history is really interesting if you find a topic that you like and it
is presented in a fun and engaging way.

You like radio, don't you? Of course you do, or you wouldn't be reading
this! So there's our interesting topic, and here is a wonderful website that
will keep you reading for hours about... history!

Who would have thought that it could be so much fun to learn about old
radio? Take a trip back in time on:

http://earlyradiohistory.us/

And don't miss "Amateur Number One":

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1917verm.htm

  _____

Handiham Net Schedule, Effective March 11, 2009

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/266> On the air

Join our worldwide EchoLink net every day but Sunday. All licensed operators
are welcome. The net is controlled but informal, and there is no need to be
a Handiham member to participate. Sometimes the net control station will
throw out a discussion topic to liven things up! Listen in a few times if
you are shy, and then take the plunge and throw out your callsign.

Days: Monday through Saturday, and Sunday if anyone wants to take an
informal session.

Times: 11:00 hours United States Central Time M-S and a second Wednesday
session at 19:30 Central Time.

Frequency in the local Minnesota repeater coverage zone: 145.45 FM, negative
offset with no tone in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul
Minnesota.

EchoLink nodes:

KA0PQW-R, node 267582
WA0TDA-L, node 302454
N0BVE-R, node 89680

The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at 19:30 United States Central
Standard time, which translates to 00:30 GMT Thursday morning during North
American Daylight Time. In the winter, the GMT schedule shifts one hour to
01:30 GMT. Connect from any Internet-enabled computer in the world, and come
out on Twin Cities repeater N0BVE on 145.450.

On the second Sunday of March in the United States, we move to Central
Daylight Time, at least in most places. That means that hours for our daily
nets are adjusted accordingly, beginning with the midday EchoLink net, which
is on at 11:00 Minnesota time. Since the local time has shifted ahead one
hour, you will now find the daily net at 16:00 GMT Monday through Saturday.

Similarly, the Monday nets all change hour GMT. The Monday morning 20 meter
net on 14.265 MHz, is at 9:30 CDT (14:30 GMT). The 20 meter Handiham net
always stands down for SATERN Net traffic and changes. The SATERN (Salvation
Army) Net meets at 10:00 CDT, immediately following the Handiham net unless
there is an emergency.

A question we get every year at this time is, "Why do you change the net
times to follow Daylight Saving Time? Wouldn't it be easier to just stick
with GMT and not change the times?"

The answer is that we have tried staying with GMT in the past, but received
complaints from net members who liked staying on their local time schedules.
Also, we ran up against other nets using the same frequencies unless we
maintained the "local" times.

Monday nets:

Some of these nets are not active and need net controls.

14.265 MHz SSB, 09:30 - 10:00 United States Central Time Mondays: Our most
reliable net frequency, but remember that we stand down for the Salvation
Army Emergency Net (SATERN) during their emergency operations on this same
frequency. During the summer months, the 14.265 net will begin at 15:30 GMT
on Mondays.

28.390 MHz SSB, 10:00 - 10:30 United States Central Time Mondays: This
frequency may be open, especially on the north-south path. Listen following
the 20-meter net. During the winter months, the 28.390 net will begin at
16:00 GMT on Mondays.

21.442 MHz SSB, 10:30 - 11:00 United States Central Time Mondays: This
frequency may be open, especially on the north-south path, and may be a bit
more reliable than 10 meters during diminishing sunspot activity. Listen
following the 10-meter net. During the winter months, the 21.442 net will
begin at 16:30 GMT on Mondays.

7.272 MHz SSB, 14:30 - 15:00 United States Central Time Mondays: This
frequency is a good bet in North America during the quiet atmospheric
conditions of winter, but not so much in summer. During the summer months,
the 7.272 net will begin at 20:30 GMT on Mondays.

There is also a 11:00 United States Central Time EchoLink net Monday through
Saturday on the same node and repeater.

EchoLink nodes:

KA0PQW-R, node 267582
WA0TDA-L, node 302454
N0BVE-R, node 89680

Other nodes:

Here are some other nets and times:

1.9 MHz SSB, 20:00 United States Central Time nightly except Tuesdays &
Thursdays: The Stillwater Amateur Radio Association (SARA/Handiham) top band
informal net. The band should be open "long" for good communications across
North America during evening hours. The stations on this net talk a long
time, so be patient and they will let you in!

Friday CW Net:

7.112 MHz CW, 09:00 - 12:00 ET, plus whatever time is needed to wrap up the
last contact: This is the Handiham Informal slow speed CW Net. Look for
Paul, W8IRT. You may e-mail Paul at w8irt@xxxxxxx with your ideas and signal
reports, or to find out about schedule changes for the CW net. Paul advises
us that the net remains true to local time, which means a one hour shift
when changing to or from Daylight time in the Spring and Autumn.

Learn how to be a better amateur radio operator!

You can check into the regular Wednesday night handiham EchoLink net,
because the first Wednesday of each month the theme of the net is one of
learning and training. Although the primary focus is on how to be a good,
even great, net control station, most of the same operating techniques that
make a good net control will also apply to normal, day-to-day amateur radio
communications. Please join us and check in or simply listen in, as you see
fit:

When:

Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM)
GMT: Thursday morning at 00:30 Z

Where:

145.450 MHz N0BVE repeater (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
Node 89680 (EchoLink worldwide)

If you have a correction in any part of the net schedule, please e-mail
wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

  _____

Archeological Discovery

Jerry and Guide Dog TrawlerReported by Jerry Kloss, N0VOE

After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year, New York scientists found
traces of copper wire dating back 100 years and came to the conclusion that
their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 100 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the New Yorkers, in the weeks that followed, a
California archaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet, and shortly after, a
story in the LA Times read: "California archaeologists, finding traces of a
200 year old copper wire, have concluded that their ancestors already had an
advanced high-tech communications network a hundred years earlier than the
New Yorkers."

One week later, The Pioneer Press, a local newspaper in Minnesota , reported
the following: "After digging as deep as 30 feet in his pasture near
Embarrass, Minnesota, Ole Olson, a self-taught archaeologist, reported that
he found absolutely nothing. Ole has therefore concluded that 300 years ago,
Minnesota had already gone wireless."

  _____

"Mobile version" websites are great for blind users

Lyle stringing wire in treeReported by Lyle Koehler, K0LR

Photo: Lyle strings wire in a tree. "I can't believe they call this hobby
'wireless'!"

While trying to help a blind friend set up a Facebook account, I found that
a number of major Web sites offer a stripped-down format for cell phone and
PDA users. Those of you with smart phones probably knew all about them
already. These sites may be useful for blind users who have to rely on
screen readers, or for people with very low bandwidth Internet connections.
Or for folks who get sick of all the banners and Flash player ads (yes, I do
have Flash Blocker activated in Firefox). Here are a few examples. There
must be many more sites like this available, but I didn't find a mobile
version of qrz.com or arrl.org.

Weather:  <http://mobile.weather.gov/>
http://mobile.weather.gov/

Google search:  <http://www.google.com/m>
http://www.google.com/m

Wikipedia:  <http://m.wikipedia.com/>
http://m.wikipedia.com/

Online dictionary:  <http://lookwayup.com/free/handheld.htm>
http://lookwayup.com/free/handheld.htm

Yahoo pages:  <http://us.m.yahoo.com/>
http://us.m.yahoo.com/

CNN News:  <http://m.cnn.com/>
http://m.cnn.com/

Star Tribune:  <http://m.startribune.com/>
http://m.startribune.com/

Amazon shopping:  <http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/h.html>
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/h.html

eBay:  <http://m.ebay.com/>
http://m.ebay.com/

Facebook:  <http://m.facebook.com>
http://m.facebook.com

MySpace:  <http://m.myspace.com>
http://m.myspace.com

Online dictionary:   <http://lookwayup.com/free/handheld.htm>
http://lookwayup.com/free/handheld.htm

MPR (Minnesota Public Radio):
http://mmprnews.publicradio.org/

Thanks, Lyle! You might want to also bookmark an "easy" Handiham site:
<http://www.handiham.org/rss.xml>
http://www.handiham.org/rss.xml

You can also use http://www.handiham.org/rss.xml to add the Handiham news
feed you your own website! Class your website up with always-updated
Handiham stories.

  _____

Handiham Remote Base Update - SKYPE problem surfaces with upgrade

Reported by Dave Coons, WT8W, Lyle Koehler, K0LR, and Pat Tice, WA0TDA

Dave writes: The past several mornings when I connect to the remote using
Skype, I connect fine but shortly after connecting I get a pop-up window
indicating a run time error #6. When this happens, I am unable to disconnect
even when I shut down the transceiver program. The only way to disconnect is
to shut down Skype and start over again. I restored my system but still get
the run time error.

Lyle writes: I tried installing the latest version of Skype and saw the same
behavior reported in the IRB Forum, which is included here:

IRB Forum posting from Mark, HB9AZT:

Skype is offering a new version 4.0.0.206 with dramatically improved sound
quality. Unfortunately I found an incompatibility with the web- transceiver
client. When logging out there is always an error message coming up "run
time error 6" - overflow and the SKYPE connection is not disconnected. This
message is probably caused by visual basic. Any ideas around how to solve
that problem?

Pat says: The Remote Base team will be looking at this problem. In the
meantime, we suggest that users stick to SKYPE version 3.8.0.188 and do not
upgrade. A test at W0ZSW with the SKYPE upgrade did work well, so the
problem is not universal.

Instruction pages for the W0EQO Remote base have been updated, including how
to get SKYPE.

Log in to the members only section and follow the Remote Base link. If you
cannot figure out how to log in to members only, please email me for help,
and include your callsign. My email address is wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

73 and hope to hear you on the air soon!

Patrick Tice, Handiham Manager <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net

Wednesday Evening EchoLink Net happy guy with headset

Tonight you will have an opportunity to learn how to be a better amateur
radio operator. You can check into the regular Wednesday night handiham
EchoLink net, because the first Wednesday of each month the theme of the net
is one of learning and training. Although the primary focus is on how to be
a good, even great, net control station, most of the same operating
techniques that make a good net control will also apply to normal,
day-to-day amateur radio communications. Please join us and check in or
simply listen in, as you see fit:

When:

Wednesday evenings at 19:30 hours Minnesota time (7:30 PM)
GMT: Thursday morning at 00:30 Z

Where:

145.450 MHz N0BVE repeater (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
Node 89680 (EchoLink worldwide)

This week at Headquarters:

*       Nancy is out of the office this week. Avery & Pat are filling in,
but we are asking for your patience!
*       SARA Technician course began on Thursday 5 March 2009

Cartoon guy carrying ham radio study books

Once again, Handiham-affiliated SARA, the Stillwater Minnesota Amateur Radio
Association, is sponsoring a course leading to the Technician Class license.
You can still get into the class.

Our class began on Thursday, 5 March, and runs for 8 sessions (skipping 19
March). We will hold the class at the Stillwater Public Library in
Conference Room 230, from 6-8 pm. Directions to the library are available in
the "Meetings - Social" topic here: www.radioham.org. We will hold a test
session on 7 May, at Boutwell's Landing. There is no charge for the course,
but students will need to have a copy of the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual.

Boutwell's Landing and the Stillwater Public Library are
wheelchair-accessible.

For questions please contact K0GW at the ARRL dot NET address.

Handiham members wishing to attend please contact Pat, wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

*       The EchoLink evening net moves to Wednesdays starting this week! On
March 4th the Handiham net moved from Mondays at 7:00 PM to Wednesdays at
7:30 PM. The first Wednesday of each month the net has a training focus, and
the rest of the month, it is open to other themes.
*       Radio Camp applications are now printed and in the mail. If you
attended radio camp last year, you are on the list to receive an
application.

*       Arrive on Sunday, August 16 and depart on Sunday, August 23, 2009.
Minnesota Radio Camp will be at Courage North, deep in the pines of northern
Minnesota's beautiful lake country. Pictures of camp are available online.
*       Once again, campers earning their first license, the Technician, at
Radio Camp will get new handheld radios to start them off on their ham radio
careers!

*       It's like a vacation! Those of you who have enjoyed a Handiham Radio
Camp at Courage North before know what a beautiful place it is, located on a
pristine lake with plenty of lakeside activities, woodland trails,
comfortable housing, great food and fellowship, and of course plenty of ham
radio fun.
*       Radios galore! This year we will have our Kenwood TS-480 remote base
station operational at the camp, as well as an EchoLink node so that you can
stay in touch with your ham radio friends with a handheld radio.  We will
have several other stations available, including the popular Kenwood TS-2000
transceiver and the new Kenwood TM-V71A blind-accessible dual band radio.
Courage North has high-speed Internet access. You can come to camp to take
one of the licensing classes for Technician, General, or Extra, or you can
take a class in operating skills or an Extra Class seminar, which covers
some of the more advanced news and technology in amateur radio today. There
is always time for fun at camp, and we always take some side trips to places
like Lake Itasca, the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi River. If you
would like us to send you an application packet, please e-mail Nancy at:
<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You may also call Nancy toll-free at 1-866-426-3442 to request an
application packet, renew your Handiham membership, or make a donation to
support our work.

We hope you can join us for Minnesota Radio Camp 2009. The Handiham Radio
Club will also meet at Courage North during Radio Camp week. This year there
will be bus transportation as well as airline transportation to Bemidji. We
also have plenty of free parking and pick up for free at the bus station and
airport.

*       New in Operating Skills:

*       April QST is in the mail to ARRL members. Look for Bob, N1BLF, to
begin working on the digest audio soon.
*       Volunteer reader Ken Padgitt, W9MJY, reads the "Doctor is in" column
from QST for our blind members.
*       Just in! Volunteer Bob Zeida, N1BLF, has completed the March 2009
Worldradio audio digest for our blind members.
*       March audio is also posted. QST & WORLDRADIO audio digests are
available for our members. Login to the member section of the
<http://handiham.org/user>  Handiham website and find the magazine digests
in the Library. The QST, CQ, and Worldradio digests have been read by Bob
Zeida, N1BLF.

*       Stay in touch!  Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or

*       Minnesota Radio Camp VE Session <http://www.handiham.org/node/335>
time & date set:

 <http://www.handiham.org/node/335> Minnesota Radio Camp VE Session Set

An open VE (Volunteer Examination) session for ham radio licensing has been
scheduled for the last full day of Handiham Radio Camp on Saturday August
22, 2009. The session is sponsored by the Paul Bunyan Amateur Radio Club &
Courage Center's Handiham System.

Walk-in's are welcome. If you have been studying for your amateur radio
license, you are welcome to join us at Camp Courage North, Lake George, MN
to take your exam.

Place - Courage North Dining Hall
Time of session - 9:00 AM
Walk-ins accepted - Advance notice is helpful, but not required.

o   Read more on the <http://www.handiham.org/node/335>  Handiham website:
<http://www.handiham.org/node/335>

email: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*       You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

Reach me by email at:  <mailto:patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*       Nancy, Handiham Secretary: hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Jerry, N0VOE, Student Coordinator: jerry.kloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Avery, K0HLA, Educational Coordinator: avery.finn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Pat, WA0TDA, Manager, patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Radio Camp email: radiocamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.        By wa0tda at 03/11/2009 - 17:25

<http://www.handiham.org/user/login?destination=comment/reply/375%2523commen