[handiham-world] FW: Courage Kenny Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 29 January 2014

  • From: Pat Tice <Pat.Tice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:28:00 +0000

[Logo for Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute, part of Allina Health]
Courage Kenny Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 29
January 2014

This is a free weekly news & information update from Courage Kenny Handiham
System<http://handiham.org>. Our contact information is at the end, or simply
email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for changes
in subscriptions or to comment. You can listen to this news online.

MP3 audio:
http://handiham.org/audio/handiham29JAN2014.mp3

Get this podcast in iTunes:
[Subscribe to our audio podcast in
iTunes]<http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406>

http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham<http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham>

________________________________
Welcome to Handiham World.

[Cartoon snowman holding handheld radio]

Chill out!

Yes, it is a horrible winter here in Minnesota, and from what I have been
hearing from most everyone else in North America, it is not much better where
they live.  Icy roads in Birmingham, Alabama?  Frigid temperatures down to the
Gulf of Mexico?  Freezing cold in Florida?

Chill out, indeed.

Sometimes I think this kind of weather, especially when it is protracted and
winter just keeps going on and on, can make people a little nutty.  The phrase
"chill out" doesn't really mean to cool off in the sense of going outdoors in
Minnesota to brave the polar wind and subzero temperatures.  It means that we
should take a deep breath and think things through a bit before making some
rash decision such as going nuts from cabin fever and snowshoeing to the
nearest auto dealer to buy a red sports car with a convertible top.

Our ham radio avocation is not immune from those "chill out moments".  Last
week there was talk about how one group had to move off an HF frequency because
of interference from another group.  Later on a member of the "winning group"
was overheard explaining how he had the technology to take over that frequency.
 This sort of thing is - thankfully - not the normal sort of behavior we
experience every day on the bands, though it is also not exactly unheard of.
Another one was on a repeater system connected to the VoIP systems.  One guy
was telling another one off on the air for not identifying.  The "tellee"
insisted that he had identified but that the I.D. probably didn't make it down
through the VoIP system due to the nature of such things with their
connectivity issues and delays.  I sat there listening and wondering if the
cold weather was getting to people.

Sometimes we get stressed out by things that really are not all that vital to
our daily lives.  The best advice I have heard is, "Hey, it's only a hobby."

Although we might disagree with that oversimplification of the Amateur Radio
Service, it does serve to remind us that we need to keep things in perspective.
 This is true in the various activities that make up every day, week, month,
and year of our lives.  For example, let's say I decide to drive to the grocery
store.  On the way, another driver misjudges his position on the roadway and
cuts me off, forcing me to step on the brake.  What do I do?  Sure, I can lay
on the horn and signal my displeasure with hand gestures, but what will that
accomplish?  The incident is already over and there is no point in using the
horn - which is there to alert other drivers, not to make a statement.  Using
rude gestures might be tempting, but what if it enrages the other guy and
escalates into a dangerous encounter?  Besides - and believe me on this - as a
former policeman I have seen many useless, senseless disputes grow far out of
proportion to their real importance.  I will be better off simply concentrating
on my own driving so that I get to the supermarket safely.  There is no point
in raising my own blood pressure, insulting someone else who may have been
having a family crisis, been feeling ill, be distracted by a child in the car,
or who simply made a driving mistake because they have only recently gotten
their driving license and are not as experienced as you are.

In a sense, driving a car on the public roads is not an individual activity at
all.  Like many other things in life that we like to think are individual and
under our personal control, driving is really a cooperative activity.  You
follow certain agreed-upon rules of the road, as do your fellow motorists, so
that you all get safely to your destinations.  You cannot drive without this
shared understanding and cooperation.  Although so-called "defensive driving"
had been taught when I was learning to drive, I have come to understand that my
job as a driver is not only to get where I want to go safely, but that I must
help my fellow drivers also get where they need to go.

Ham radio is like that.

We cooperate and follow certain agreed-upon rules while using the
electromagnetic spectrum.  Some of the rules carry the force of regulative
sanction in FCC Part 97 here in the United States and similar regulatory
oversight in other countries.  Other rules are more like "best practices" that
help us to maintain decorum and use the bands efficiently.  An example is "The
Considerate Operator's Frequency
Guide<http://www.arrl.org/considerate-operator>" available from ARRL.  The ARRL
Frequency Chart shows us the FCC-designated
frequencies<http://www.arrl.org/frequency-allocations> and modes that carry the
force of regulation.  The Band Plan<http://www.arrl.org/band-plan> makes
suggestions, but does not carry the force of any sanction other than incurring
the possible disdain of your fellow operators when you disregard it.

Disputes can happen in social media or on the ham radio bands.  Don't let
yourself get drawn into them. Remember these basic tips:

1.     People make mistakes.  Everyone does.  Don't be quick to judge.

2.     A kind word is more likely to be well-received than a scolding.  This is
just human nature.

3.     Sometimes it is best to say nothing and just move on.  Ask yourself what
escalating a small incident into a shouting match will really accomplish, other
than creating hard feelings, embarrassing or angering the other party, and
raising your own blood pressure, thereby souring your day as well as the other
person's.

4.     Some situations do need correction and you need to take action.  In
those cases, take it off the air in ways recommended by ARRL and guided by the
Golden Rule.  How would you feel if someone chided you publicly for making a
mistake?  Is the situation really worthy of further action?  Taking time to
think about it will help diminish the chances of acting on emotion in the
moment, and whatever action you do take can then follow best practices.

5.     In an emergency, you need to act more forcefully.  For example, if I am
driving my car and notice that the driver in front of me is drifting out of his
lane and might strike my car, I should use the horn to alert him.  On the
radio, sometimes there does need to be prompt action to relay emergency
information.  Interrupting an ongoing repeater conversation to report a car
fire or injured person is an emergency.  If the repeater users fail to yield
the frequency, that should be reported.  On the other hand, no one needs to
yield the frequency to you because you want to make a routine call.  Learn to
tell the difference.

Quiz

You didn't expect a quiz, did you?  Well, I mentioned that I was a policeman,
but before that I was a secondary school teacher, and I like to spring pop
quizzes on my "students" from time to time, so here goes:

Scenario 1:  You are listening on your regional HF casual social net.  The Net
Control Station has taken 15 check-ins, most of them on a first-name basis, and
without giving much more identification than stating the name of the net.  You
are pretty sure it has been at least 10 minutes since the guy running the net
has identified with his callsign.  You should:

A. Break in and quote directly from Part 97 on station identification, adding
that there could be significant penalties for rules violations.

B. Check into the net when the NCS calls for check-ins, then complain that you
could hardly figure out who's who because no one uses their callsign.  For good
measure, add that "a monkey could do a better job running this net."  Your
humor will be appreciated!

C. Immediately notify your ARRL Section Manager or the Official Observers and
file a report.

D. Chill out and think about it.  After the net make a phone call to the NCS -
and mention that you listened to the net but were a bit confused because of the
identification procedures. Explain that you wanted to check in, but had a hard
time keeping things straight with callsigns.  Helpfully suggest that one thing
that helps you out in the ham shack is an app that reminds you to I.D. every 10
minutes.

The correct choice is answer D, of course, since this essay is about chilling
out.  While answer C - telling the OO's about the situation - isn't really
wrong per se, it really is best to determine whether this is a case of ongoing
poor operating practice that should be dealt with or a one-time incident where
a new person taking the NCS position as a sub doesn't know how to manage the
net.

Scenario 2:  You are the NCS today and you tune to your usual 75 meter
frequency.  Your net has been on that frequency for 20 years, but today there
are a few stations carrying on a round table discussion on the frequency.  You
should:

A. Break in and tell them to move off of "your" frequency.

B. Join their conversation then announce that the net is starting and take over.

C. Move only 1 kHz up or down and begin calling the net.  This will give the
intruders the right idea and teach them not to squat on the net frequency.

D. Break in and ask politely if they are willing to move, and if not, thank
them and ask that they direct anyone calling in on that frequency to please
join the net up or down 5 kHz, which will allow enough separation to avoid
interference.

The correct choice is once again answer D.  Although the stations using the
frequency could be polite and move, they are not obligated to do so.  Always be
civil and be prepared to yield the frequency, just as you might have to yield
the right of way when you drive a car. Don't get upset about it.  It's no big
deal, just a minor inconvenience.  The sun will come up tomorrow whether or not
the net runs on its usual frequency.  Chill out and relax!

________________________________
Bulletins

[Cartoon rabbit running with mail]

YouTube video on impedance matching - Thanks to Ron, K0FTB for the tip:

·         Here is a link to Impedance ​Matching 101 by Ward Silver, N0AX.
It's about an hour long. Ward does an excellent job explaining a complicated
subject.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLUrwoHRLJM

2014 Radio Camp Operating Skills (Saturday, August 16 through Saturday August
23, 2014)

·         Our study guide for 2014 Handiham Radio Camp Operating Skills will be
the ARRL Public Service Handbook First
Edition<http://www.arrl.org/shop/Amateur-Radio-Public-Service-Handbook>.  It is
available from your favorite ham radio dealer or directly from ARRL.  Blind
Handiham members should contact us for the DAISY version.  We will be happy to
place it on your NLS DAISY cartridge for you.  Update:  Several beta testers
are reviewing our DAISY version now.

2014 Tech Study Guide Online by KB6NU:

·         QST, QST QST:     I've started posting sections of the 2014
No-Nonsense Tech Study Guide to my website, KB6NU.Com<http://www.kb6nu.com/>.
Just search for "2014 study guide" to see all of the posts. I'm only through
the first several sections, but I'm not seeing many changes so far, mostly just
a few extra questions.   I do note, however, that there are only four figures
in this question pool, whereas there were seven in the last one. So they must
have made some changes in section T7. I just haven't gotten there yet.   At any
rate, feel free to have a look. Any and all comments and feedback are
appreciated.   73! (Dan, KB6NU)
http://www.kb6nu.com/

________________________________
Practical Radio

[pliers and wire]

Is ham radio simulation on the Internet "real" ham radio?

Over the years I've heard lots of talk about how some new mode of operation
"wasn't REAL ham radio."  In the early days of SSB penetration into the HF
phone bands, died in the wool AM operators talked about how single sideband was
not real ham radio. Then it was digital modes.  Then along came remote
operation and that wasn't "real" ham radio either.  Today I hear the less
open-minded among us complain that Echolink isn't real ham radio.

All of those modes are real ham radio, because they contain elements of actual
on the air spectrum use that falls under government regulation. An
Echolink-connected QSO could turn into an on the air QSO with the addition of
an active micronode or the connection to a participant through a VoIP-enabled
repeater.

From time to time I get questions about whether simulations like QSOnet with
CQ100 or HamSphere are "real" ham radio.  These are products that provide a
realistic ham radio experience, but they are not, in the strict sense, "real"
ham radio.  You could use a simulation product to provide a realistic
experience that is very much like getting on the air but without actually using
the radio spectrum.  As such, you are not really on the air, which means that
you are not subject to FCC rules while using these simulations.  In that sense,
they are not "real", but the experience of operating is very realistic and the
fact that you are communicating and interacting with other "operators" is
certainly real enough.

In a sense, using a radio simulator is like playing a video game.  Since I've
already been comparing ham radio and driving a car, why not do so again?

·         To drive a car, you need to pass a driving test, practice, and take a
final driving exam with a professional examiner.  After you get your license,
you may drive, but only so long as you follow all the rules and keep up your
licensure. If you want to drive a commercial vehicle, you must study and
upgrade your driving license.  In Amateur Radio, the path is similar.  You must
study and pass your Technician license exam, after which you may get on the air
as long as you follow the rules and maintain your license.  If you want to
operate on a wider range of frequencies, you must study some more and upgrade
to General and perhaps even to Extra Class.

·         If you want to play a video game using a driving simulator, you pluck
down your money and have a go at it.  There are no licensing requirements.
Driving in a sophisticated simulator can be quite realistic, and you can even
feel like you are driving a real vehicle - but you aren't.  It isn't a real car
and you are not driving on the streets and highways.  It is a simulation -
realistic and fun, but not real driving.  The proof of this is that when you
are done and step out of the simulator you are still right where you started,
in the video arcade at the mall.  It doesn't matter if you crashed the
simulated car because no one got hurt.  There was no ambulance.  You don't even
have to be old enough to drive to use a simulator.  That is what a simulated
experience is.  It is not the real thing, nor does it purport to be.  Ham radio
simulators are even more realistic than driving simulators, but they are not
really getting licensed operators on the air.  The FCC is not going to get on
your case for not identifying.  In that sense they are more like video games -
albeit very good ones - and not the real thing.

Does it really matter?  If you enjoy these radio simulators, by all means have
fun with them.  If not, then don't.  Life's a big tent, as they say.

This is practical radio, so use what works for you!

________________________________
Handiham Nets are on the air daily.

Listen for Doug, N6NFF, tonight and try to answer the trivia question during
the first half hour.  Check in later just to get in the log and say hello.  The
trivia question answer is revealed shortly after the first half hour.

all of our net control stations!

We maintain our nets at 11:00 hours daily relative to Minnesota time.  Since
the nets remain true to Minnesota time, the difference between Minnesota time
and GMT is -6 hours.  The net is on the air at 17:00 hours GMT.

The two evening sessions are at 01:00 GMT Thursday and Friday.  Here in
Minnesota that translates to 7:00 PM Wednesday and Thursday.

The official and most current net news may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets

________________________________
This week @ HQ

[Cartoon robot with pencil]

Digests

Jim Perry, KJ3P, Bob Zeida, N1BLF, and Ken Padgitt, W9MJY have kindly done the
volunteer recording.  Thanks, guys!

New this week: CQ DAISY digest for December is now available.

Lecture 57, the second of our in-depth discussion of antennas in Extra Class is
still available.  This one is an impressive hour and a half long by the time we
go through the questions.  I hope to tackle impedance matching later this week,
time allowing.

Secure web connections are now available for your member section web surfing.
This means that you can type in "https" instead of "http" if you want to view
the pages over a secure connection.

Secure, blind-friendly Handiham website login:
https://handiham.org/user#main-content

Our limited digest version of QST for January 2014 in DAISY is available in the
members section.

Worldradio Online for January 2014 has been completed by Bob Zeida, N1BLF.
Thanks, Bob!
  This is the FINAL edition of Worldradio as a standalone publication, due to
the upcoming consolidation of several CQ publications.
Remote Base News

[W0EQO station in the server room at Courage North.]

[Kenwood TS-480HX transceiver with LDG autotuner]

Both Handiham Remote Base internet stations W0ZSW and W0EQO are on line for
your use 24/7.

  *   If you use Skype for audio, please connect and disconnect the Skype call
to the remote base manually.  The automatic calling and hang up is no longer
supported in Skype.
  *   200 watt operation is restored on 160, 80, and 40 meters for Extra and
Advanced Class users on W0ZSW.

·         Outages: Outages are reported on
http://handiham.org/remotebase/station-status/.

Operating tip:  Find out how to tell if the remote base station is already in
use if you are using JAWS:

  *   Listen to the tutorial:
http://www.handiham.org/audio/remotebase/W4MQ_status_JAWS.mp3
  *   Read the tutorial in accessible HTML:
http://handiham.org/remotebase/2013/03/05/check-station-status-with-jaws-13-or-14/

Digital Cartridges to be Stocked at Handiham HQ in 2014:

A generous donor has afforded us seed money to stock a supply of NLS digital
cartridges and mailers right at Handiham Headquarters.  That way we will be
able to more quickly serve members who want to get their Daisy book material or
our audio lectures on NLS cartridges for the Library of Congress players.

[Pat holding up NLS digital cartridge and mailer]

Don't care to download Handiham materials via computer? This digital cartridge
and mailer can bring you Handiham audio digests each month, plus we have room
to put the audio lecture series or equipment tutorials on them, too!

  *   If you have trouble logging in, please let us know.
  *   All Daisy materials are in zip file format, so you simply download the
zip file you need and unzip it so the Daisy book folder can be accessed or
moved to your NLS or other Daisy player.
  *   Tip: When in the Daisy directory, it is easy to find the latest books by
sorting the files by date. Be sure the latest date is at the top. The link to
sort is called "Last Modified".
  *   You can also find what is on a web page by using CONTROL-F.  This brings
up a search box and you can type a key word in, such as "September".  You may
find more than one September, including 2012, but you will eventually come
across what we have posted for September 2013.

  *   Our thanks to Bob, N1BLF, Jim, KJ3P, and Ken, W9MJY, for reading this
month.  Look for these DAISY materials in the members section.
<http://handiham.org/drupal2/user>

Digital mailers are important: If you do mail a digital cartridge to us, please
be sure that it is an approved free matter mailer. Otherwise it will quickly
cost us several dollars to package and mail out, which is more than the cost of
the mailer in the first place. We don't have a stock of cartridges or mailers
and not including a mailer will result in a long delay getting your request
back out to you.

DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your call sign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc.<http://www.aph.org>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge, 4GB, Blank; Catalog Number: 1-02609-00, Price
$13.00

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Mailer Catalog Number: 1-02611-00, Price: $2.50

Order Toll-Free: (800) 223-1839.

The Library of Congress NLS has a list of vendors for the digital cartridges:

Get it all on line as an alternative:  Visit the DAISY section on the Handiham
website after logging in.

________________________________
Stay in touch

[Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone number changes, or email
address changes so that we can continue to stay in touch with you. You may
either email Nancy at
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or call her at
763-520-0512.  If you need to use the toll-free number, call 1-866-426-3442.

Handiham Program Coordinator Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or by phone at

The Courage Kenny Handiham Program depends on the support of people like you,
who want to share the fun and friendship of ham radio with others. Please help
us provide services to people with disabilities.

format<http://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>
Email us to subscribe:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Courage Kenny Handiham Program<http://handiham.org>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

contact Handihams for help joining the ARRL. We will be happy to help you fill
out the paperwork!

[ARRL diamond-shaped logo]

The weekly e-letter is a compilation of software tips, operating information,
and Handiham news. It is published on Wednesdays, and is available to everyone
free of charge. Please email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  for changes of
address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address and your new address.

Return to Handiham.org<http://handiham.org>