[handiham-world] Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 26 August 2015

  • From: <Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:31:24 -0500

the week of Wednesday, 26 August 2015

This is a free weekly news & information update from the Courage Kenny
Handiham Program <https://handiham.org> , serving people with disabilities
in Amateur Radio since 1967.

Our contact information is at the end.

Listen here:
https://handiham.org/audio/handiham26AUG2015.mp3
<http://0345ed7.netsolhost.com/audio/handiham26AUG2015.mp3>

http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham

Subscribe or change your subscription to the E-mail version here.
<http://www.freelists.org/list/handiham-world>

In this edition:

. 2015 Radio Camp winds down.

. W0ZSW hangs on - for now.

. Radios in the Park - August 27th.

. Check into our nets!

. This week's website features a talking charger.

. Dip in the Pool returns with a question from the Technician Class
pool about unit conversion.

. New audio is available.

. ...And more!

_____

Another Radio Camp is in the history books:

Phil, K9HI, writes: "We had a successful sked between the ARRL New England
Division Convention special events station, W1A and the Handiham Radio Camp
station, W0EQO at Camp Courage in Maple Lake, Minnesota. Harold Kramer, WJ1B
sent greetings to the campers, while one of the camp volunteers, Matt
Arthur, KA0PQW operated W0EQO. I stepped out of the room for most of the
contact to see if Gordon West, WB6NOA was available to also join in. (He was
involved with the Youth Forum; by the time he arrived, QSB was so bad the
contact was ended.)"

Phil Temples, K9HI, has volunteered at many Handiham Radio Camp sessions,
but this year a commitment to the ARRL New England Division Convention
prevented him from being at camp. Instead, he arranged an HF contact with
the Convention special event station W1A.

Bill, N0CIC, shows us his solar charging system, which he used on the
pontoon boat for the HF station.

Photo: Bill, N0CIC, shows us his solar charging system, which he used on the
pontoon boat for the HF station.

The pontoon boat, captained by volunteer Bill Jones, N0CIC, cruised the
waters of Cedar Lake again this year. Radio campers enjoyed HF operation on
20 meter phone via an Icom IC-718 powered by Bill's rechargeable battery and
solar panels. One panel was more than enough to keep the battery topped up.

A surprise hit at camp this year was a new 600 foot long zip line. Campers
rode the zip line in a full body harness and were uniformly positive about
the experience!

We had plenty of stations set up, too. The station on the boat, two TS-590S
stations, an Icom IC-7200, and a Kenwood TS-2000 connected to a three
element beam antenna provided HF communications.

L-R Bill, N0CIC, Joe, KC0OIO, and Dave, W0OXB, launch one of the antenna
cords into the trees with a slingshot.

Photo: Wire antennas designed by volunteer Dave Glas, W0OXB, were installed
Field Day style on the day before camp. L-R Bill, N0CIC, Joe, KC0OIO, and
Dave, W0OXB, launch one of the antenna cords into the trees with a
slingshot.

The camp repeater, W0EQO, was on the air and connected to the world via
Echolink, thanks to Don Rice, N0BVE. This made it easy for everyone at camp
to stay in touch with handheld radios. Considering the sketchy HF band
conditions we have had this summer, it is always good to have a backup plan
for VHF communications. A 70 cm repeater was also connected and available,
thanks to Don. Campers ran several HF and Echolink nets during the week.
Thunderstorms rolled through the area, but all of our gear was disconnected
since we were keeping close watch on the weather. Good thing we did - a
lightning strike close to camp was a reminder that thunderstorms are not to
be taken lightly. Our wireless internet was knocked out, and the problem
was traced to a tripped GFI (ground fault interrupter). I figure we got off
pretty easy on that one! In any case, we were able to use the camp repeater
safely in spite of the weather.

Our thanks to everyone who helped us make Radio Camp possible: Volunteers,
supporters, camp and Handiham staff, the Stillwater, MN Amateur Radio
Association <http://www.radioham.org/> , an ARRL Special Service Club
<http://www.arrl.org/ssc-application> , and of course all of our Handiham
campers.

W0ZSW returns on a part-time basis:

http://0345ed7.netsolhost.com/images/w0zsw_setup.jpg
Image: The W4MQ software setup interface at W0ZSW.

W0ZSW is back on the air part-time, though we are accepting no new users and
have stopped distributing the software. We are doing this to accommodate a
few users who have no other way to get on the air.

The new software for our remotes will be the RCFORB client from
Remotehams.com. <http://www.remotehams.com>

_____

Radios in the Park - August 27th

Here is a public event, sponsored by the Handiham-affiliated Stillwater, MN
Amateur Radio Association.

Bring your portable station and get on the air with SARA from Pioneer Park
in Stillwater, MN on Thursday August 27th from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM.

The weekly SARA Eyeball QSO is moving outdoors for an evening of Radios in
the Park <http://www.radioham.org/news/radios-in-the-park-august-27th/> .
Join us for some on-air fun. We'll be at Pioneer Park, 515 North 2nd Street,
Stillwater, MN - overlooking downtown Stillwater and the scenic St Croix
River Valley.

In case of rain, we'll be have the regular Eyeball QSO session at the
Stillwater Public Library.

_____

Can't get to Stillwater? Check into our Handiham nets... Everyone is
welcome!

How to find the Handiham Net:

1. The Handiham EchoLink conference is 494492. Connect via your iPhone,
Android phone, PC, or on a connected simplex node or repeater system in your
area.

2. WIRES-2 system number 1427

3. WIRES-X digital number 11165

The Handiham Net will be on the air daily. If there is no net control
station on any scheduled net day, we will have a roundtable on the air
get-together.

Cartoon multicolored stickman family holding hands, one wheelchair user
among them.

Our daily Echolink net continues to operate for anyone and everyone who
wishes to participate at 11:00 hours CDT (Noon Eastern and 09:00 Pacific),
as well as Wednesday and Thursday evenings at 19:00 hours CDT (7 PM). If
you calculate GMT, the time difference is that GMT is five hours ahead of
Minnesota time during the summer.

Doug, N6NFF, poses a trivia question in the first half of the Wednesday
evening session, so check in early if you want to take a guess. The answer
to the trivia question is generally given shortly after the half-hour mark.
A big THANK YOU to all of our net control stations and to our Handiham Club
Net Manager, Michael, VE7KI.

_____

This week's website: myCharge Peak 6000 Talking External Battery Pack.
Cartoon plugged in robot.

Ken, KB3LLA, sent us a link to the myCharge Peak 6000 Talking External
Battery Pack. This is a portable charging device for your smartphone and
similar accessories, and it has voice notification in four languages:
English, Spanish, French, Portuguese. I've used portable chargers before,
but none of them talked. Since the smartphone is getting to be a ham shack
in your pocket, I guess this kind of portable charger can be a legitimate
ham shack accessory.

Check the myCharge out on the ATguys website.
<http://www.atguys.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&produ
cts_id=147>

circuit board

Dip in the pool is back! Our question this week is from the Technician
Class question pool, number T5B01. It asks:

"How many milliamperes is 1.5 amperes?"

Possible answers are:

A. 15 milliamperes
B. 150 milliamperes
C. 1,500 milliamperes
D. 15,000 milliamperes

While you're thinking about which answer might be the right one, let's
remind ourselves that the metric system is used for most scientific and
technical writing. We will need to know it well to answer many of the
questions on the Amateur Radio exams.

Did you decide which answer is the correct one? If you picked answer C,
1,500 milliamperes, you got this one right. Perhaps you have a good memory
for those science classes from junior high school, or maybe you live in a
country that uses the metric system as the primary system of measurement.

The trick to learning the metric system is to learn prefixes. These are the
part of the word placed before what is being measured. In this case, we are
measuring amperes, and we know that an ampere - "amp" for short - is a unit
of current. We may already be familiar with ampere ratings on some of our
equipment. One common item in the typical ham radio station is the DC power
supply, which always has current capacity listed in amps. Two of the power
supplies I have in my ham station are rated at 20 and 23 amps respectively.
This is enough current handling capacity to supply a 100 watt SSB
transceiver under most circumstances.

Meanwhile, most circuits inside our electronic devices draw much less
current. We need very small units of measurement to describe these small
currents, so we divide an amp into a thousand smaller bits, each one of them
a milliampere (milliamp for short). Since the metric system works by tens,
hundreds, thousands, and so on, we know that 1,000 milliamps equals one amp
and 500 milliamps equals a half an amp, or .5 amp. So that means 1.5 amps =
1,500 milliamps.

_____

New audio: There is new audio since last week.

* QST for September in digital has been recorded by Bob, N1BLF, and is
ready. We have it in DAISY for our blind members.
* ARRL General Class License Manual: Jim Perry, KJ3P, has finished the
first three chapters of the new ARRL General Class License manual, recorded
for our blind members. The audio is processed into DAISY for our General
students.
* QCWA Journal for August has also been recorded by Jim, KJ3P. It is
released when the official Journal for August is posted at QCWA.org, which
has been done, so it is now available at QCWA.org.
<http://www.qcwa.org/qcwa.php>

Podcast: If you would like to receive this audio newsletter as a podcast in
software other than iTunes, the RSS feed for the audio podcast is:
http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham

Email version: <http://www.freelists.org/list/handiham-world> Subscribe or
change your subscription to the E-mail version here.

Weekly audio reminder: If you are a Handiham member and want a weekly
reminder about our new audio, let us know. Watch for new audio Thursday
afternoons. (Some audio is available only to members.)

Beginner course DAISY download available for our blind members: We now have
the DAISY version of the entire Technician Class lecture series on line for
download.

Some of you have asked about the 2015 General Lecture Series. The new
General pool is used for exams beginning on July 1, 2015. If you are
planning to study for General at Radio Camp in August, you will take your
exam based on the new General question pool. Jim, KJ3P, is helping us with
recordings from the new 2015 ARRL General License Manual.

But you can start studying using the new pool right now! Bob Zeida, N1BLF,
has finished the recording of the new 2015 General Class Question Pool and
it is in the General Class section in the Members part of the website.

Jim, KJ3P, has recorded the DXer's Handbook Second Edition by Bryce, K7UA,
for our blind members. If you are a Handiham member and need a link to the
DAISY download, please let me know.

Thanks to our volunteer readers:

Bob, N1BLF

Jim, KJ3P

Ken, W9MJY

_____

Membership

. You can pay your Handiham dues and certain other program fees on
information and submit the payment. It's easy and secure!

o Handiham annual membership dues are $12.00.

o If you want to donate to the Handiham Program, please use our donation
website. The instructions are at the following link:

o The weekly audio podcast <https://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3> was
produced with the open-source audio editor Audacity
<http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/> .

How to contact us

There are several ways to contact us.

Postal Mail:

Courage Kenny Handiham Program

E-Mail: <mailto:Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx> Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx

Preferred telephone: 1-612-775-2291

Note: Mondays through Thursdays between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM United States
Central Time are the best times to contact us.

You may also call Handiham Program Coordinator Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, at:
612-775-2290.

FAX: 612-262-6718 Be sure to put "Handihams" in the FAX address! We look
forward to hearing from you soon.

available to everyone free of charge. Please email Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx
for changes of address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address
and your new address.

Return to Handiham.org <http://handiham.org>