[handiham-world] Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 23 April 2014

  • From: Pat Tice <Pat.Tice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:42:51 +0000

[Logo for Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute, part of Allina Health]
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the
week of Wednesday, 23 April 2014

This is a free weekly news & information update from Courage Kenny Handiham
System<http://handiham.org>. Our contact information is at the end, or simply
email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for changes
in subscriptions or to comment. You can listen to this news online.

MP3 audio:
http://handiham.org/audio/handiham23APR2014.mp3

Get this podcast in iTunes:
[Subscribe to our audio podcast in
iTunes]<http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406>

http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham<http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham>

________________________________
Welcome to Handiham World.
Charge your batteries!
[Gel Cell battery used on Field Day.]
This big UB12750 cell was used last year on Field Day.  It'll set you back
around $150, and weighs around 50 pounds (22.7 kg), but its 12 V 75 Ah capacity
makes it suitable for operating an HF rig off the grid, should you need to.
Are you ready for a power outage?  Be honest, now!

No?  Me, neither.

The thing is, the grid in my town has been really reliable in recent years.
Even though I "nominally" have made some preparations for an emergency power
supply, thanks to everything running smoothly for several years I have not
found it necessary to update or even maintain my backup systems.  When I
tripped a GFI with too much RF, I lost power to my main computer.  That
shouldn't have happened, because the computer is protected with an
uninterruptable power supply, UPS for short.  The battery in the UPS is
supposed to supply instant power in the event of a power outage, but instead it
let the computer die.  I pulled the UPS out of the circuit, put it on the
bench, and extracted the obviously dead gel cell.  This battery is a lot
smaller than the one we used on Field Day, but its chemistry is similar.  These
batteries can fail - as this one obviously did - and as long as the AC power
stays on, I would never know the difference.  Unfortunately, it took a power
failure to alert me to the problem.

Nothing of note was lost, fortunately, but it could have been a real problem if
I had been working on something that had not been saved.  And there is always
the possibility of damage by voltage spikes, too. What could I have done to
prevent this failure?

The answer:  Periodic testing and maintenance.

We need to understand that planning and installing backup power systems is not
enough.  In fact, that is only the beginning of a continuing process of
periodic checks and preventive maintenance.  In the case of the UPS, I should
have checked it by running a simulated power failure.  I could have turned off
the computer and then unplugged the UPS to see if it would hold the AC output
voltage.  A nightlight or other small indicator can be used for this purpose.
When the UPS loses power from the mains, it is supposed to sound a beeping
alert.  I would listen to make sure that happened as well.  If everything seems
okay, I could plug in the UPS, start the computer, and try the test again.  Had
I followed that procedure, I would have known that the UPS needed a new battery.

It is similar with all of our other equipment, which may include solar
chargers, spare batteries, radios, microphones and code keys, computers used
for radio purposes, antennas, generators, and accessories.  None of these
things is guaranteed to work when we need them, but we can increase the odds of
success by periodic testing and maintenance when we do find something that is
not working right.  Summer is prime season for periodic storm and construction
related power outages. Let's plan ahead and be ready.  You might even want to
make 2014 the year you draw up a checklist of maintenance items and then
calendar them for attention.

________________________________
Bulletins
Hamvention® is May 16 - 18, 2014.

Are you attending the 2014 Hamvention®?  If so, we would like you to visit the
Handiham booth, which will be at #330 in the Silver Arena.

[Pat, WA0TDA, and Hap, KC9RP, pose together at the RAIN Report booth.]

This photo shows Pat, WA0TDA, posing with Hap, KC9RP, at the RAIN Report booth,
which is right next to the 2013 Handiham booth.  We are in a good neighborhood
at Hamvention®, that's for sure!

The 2014 Hamvention® is all about "Makers... The Future of Ham Radio".  I like
that theme, because it is one whose time has come.  Since 9/11 there has been a
lot of emphasis on emergency and public service communication. That is
certainly a good thing, but Amateur Radio is a "big tent" that can house people
who have many diverse interests.  A long-standing tradition that deserves new
emphasis is that of designing and making things related to radio and
communication. Today's "makers" design new modes of operation, write software,
and yes, they still build radios.  They are problem-solvers who roll up their
sleeves and find solutions to make things work better.

I'm looking forward to Amateur Radio in the 21st Century.  As we make our way
in this new century, we need to be forward thinking in our perception of what
ham radio is all about.  The world needs more people who understand STEM -
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.  Amateur Radio is a platform for
learning STEM, and it can be an especially good one because it allows us to
build and experiment, trying new things on the air, and is also supported by an
enthusiastic maker community that is connected via radio and through the
Internet.

Frankly, there continues to be a perception problem about Amateur Radio.  It is
often referred  to as "old" in so many words when it is mentioned in news
stories and promotions surrounding public service.  I've seen such stories
again and again - while meaning well, the authors still find some way to be
amazed that old technology like ham radio can still be relevant for one thing
or another.  In spite of an ongoing effort to point out the reliability of ham
radio communications as a public service and emergency communications backup
system, this "old technology" theme surfaces again and again.

Making new circuit designs and writing the software to go with them cannot be
similarly characterized, though I'm pretty sure we will still hear people who
will express surprise that we are capable of technical innovation.

One thing for sure is that we don't want to keep hearing this:  "Ham radio?  I
didn't know they still did that."

So make the pilgrimage to Dayton this year if you can.  We'd love to see you,
and there is plenty of new stuff for you to learn about, thanks to the "makers"
among us.

2014 Radio Camp (Saturday, August 16 through Saturday August 23, 2014)

The Equipment Program will be at Radio Camp.  Campers will be able to take home
equipment, provided that the Equipment Program has it available.  Campers
should let us know what they need to get on the air. Categories of equipment
that can be made available for you to take home from camp are:

VHF/UHF radios

HF radios

Accessories like speakers and tuners

Morse code accessories

Other accessories - Please let me know what you need.

WA0CAF likes a story about Windows XP:

·         Microsoft is Still Making Security Updates for Windows XP, But You
Can’t Have
Them<http://www.howtogeek.com/186754/microsoft-is-still-making-security-updates-for-windows-xp-but-you-cant-have-them/>

Dip in the pool dives into the General Class:

Today we are checking out a question about digital modes.

G8B10 asks, "What does the number 31 represent in PSK31?"

Possible answers are:

A. The approximate transmitted symbol rate

B. The version of the PSK protocol

C. The year in which PSK31 was invented

D. The number of characters that can be represented by PSK31

The correct answer is  A: The approximate transmitted symbol rate.  The reason
I picked this particular question is that there is a proposal before the FCC
that addresses the use of symbol rate.  Check out the ARRL Symbol Rate petition
announcement
here.<http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-files-symbol-rate-petition-with-fcc>  The
petition, RM-11708, has generated quite a bit of controversy with many
commenters pointing out that increasing symbol rate limits would interfere with
CW contacts.  This does not seem to be a forgone conclusion, though. One of the
best comments submitted to the FCC and ARRL is by N2QT:
http://tinyurl.com/mxlbjeb

The reason I chose this particular question from the pool is that it gives me
the opportunity to mention RM-11708, which I see as a clear call to open up
spectrum to innovation - something that will help our maker community to
develop new modes.  One of our biggest challenges in Amateur Radio is the
perception that we are "old technology".  I just can't see the problem with
increasing the allowed symbol rate, provided that we do so thoughtfully.

The status of RM-11708 is still "open" on the FCC
website.<http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view;jsessionid=qNCLTXfdZ1bJTqB6tp6shrqZhvZ2rrRphZhXQBJLKJhx11nGN26f!1281169505!1675925370?name=RM-11708>
  1,095 comments, including some with today's date, have already been filed.
There is a "submit a filing<http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display?z=pzltq>"
form on the FCC website.

Field Day coming up - Join us in Oak Park Heights, MN

  *   The 2014 field day packets and rules are available from ARRL.  Visit:
http://www.arrl.org/field-day
  *   Our affiliated club, SARA<http://www.radioham.org>, will be holding Field
Day on Saturday, June 28 & Sunday, June 29, 2014 at Autumn Hills Park in Oak
Park Heights Minnesota. Details and specifics for this year's events are being
pulled together. Watch this space for details.
  *   The Field Day site is wheelchair accessible and there is paved on site
accessible parking.
  *   Several radios will feature voice frequency readout.
  *   No overnight operation is planned - daytime only.
  *   Accessible restrooms are on site.

________________________________
Practical Radio

[pliers and wire]

Mystery Box!  Take a guess.

[Handiham mystery box]

Here is a photo of the mystery box I found in the Handiham storeroom yesterday
while looking for something else.  I'll describe it so that our blind members
have a chance to take a guess as to what it is.  I will say this:  It has a
very practical use in the ham shack, but not for everyone and not for every ham
shack.

Photo description:  This is an aluminum "Bud" box approximately 5" by 3" by 2".
 Visible on the front panel is a toggle switch, a knob with a pointer design,
and five holes drilled to make a speaker grill.  A small bundle of three wires
comes out one side, terminating in three spade lugs.  One wire is white, one is
yellow, and one is green.  The green wire has two knots tied in it, the yellow
has one, and the white none.

[Inside view of mystery box showing circuit]

A second photo shows the inside.  There is a 9VDC battery connector and holder
(but no battery), a speaker, a small circuit board with several components, the
back of the toggle switch, and a potentiometer with three wires soldered on.

What is it?  The answer will be published next week!

This is practical radio - Reason things out.  Learn new things.

________________________________
Handiham Nets are on the air daily.

[headset]

Summertime is a busy season for everyone, and that means our net control
volunteers as well.  If we cannot fill a net control position this summer,
please feel free to just start a roundtable conversation.  We are looking for
some help with the daily midday sessions and with the Thursday evening
Technology Net session.  Please contact Matt Arthur, KA0PQW, at his ARRL.net
address if you think you might be able to help.

Listen for the Handiham Wednesday evening net tonight and try to answer the
N6NFF trivia question during the first half hour.  Check in later just to get
in the log and say hello.  The trivia question answer is revealed shortly after
the first half hour.  If you are up to a challenge, see if you can correctly
answer this week's question.

all of our net control stations!

We maintain our nets at 11:00 hours daily relative to Minnesota time.  Since
the nets remain true to Minnesota time, the difference between Minnesota
Daylight Saving time and GMT is -5 hours and the net is on the air at 16:00
hours GMT.

The two evening sessions are at 00:00 GMT Thursday and Friday.  Here in
Minnesota that translates to 7:00 PM Wednesday and Thursday.

The official and most current net news may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets

________________________________
This week @ HQ

[Cartoon robot with pencil]

Email changes coming April through May

We will be making some changes this Spring in our email systems.  Watch this
newsletter and the Handiham website<https://handiham.org> for any changes in
our contact information.

I'll be taking Fridays off for a while.  Our office will be closed Fridays.
Our usual hours are 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM CDT, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM EDT.  Outside
those hours, you may email us or leave a voice message.

Events

Be sure to check the Events column by N1YXU.
<https://handiham.org/drupal2/node/313>

Digests & Lectures

Reminder:  If you use the NLS cartridges, please return them to us by the first
week in the month so we can include your cartridge in the next mailing. We have
April audio available for our blind members, including the QST Doctor column,
the new 2014-2018 Technician Question Pool in DAISY format, read by Jim, KJ3P,
and another chapter on VoIP, read by me, WA0TDA.

CQ Plus April 2014 digest is in DAISY format.  Log in and check out the new CQ!
 This will be included in this month's NLS cartridge.

QCWA Digest for April 2014 is available in MP3.

I have started a recording project for Operating Skills, based on the ARRL
book, "Internet Linking for Radio Amateurs" by K1RFD. The goal is to make more
information on VoIP available to our blind members.

Jim Perry, KJ3P, Bob Zeida, N1BLF, and Ken Padgitt, W9MJY do the volunteer
digest recording.  Thanks, guys!

Secure, blind-friendly Handiham website login:
https://handiham.org/user#main-content

·         We ask that you please log in securely if you are using any kind of a
public network or unsecured wireless.

·         To the best of our knowledge, the Handiham website was not
compromised by the Heartbleed bug.

·         Test your own or other websites for Heartbleed at this
website.<https://filippo.io/Heartbleed/>

·         I also use a Chrome extension called Chromebleed to detect visited
sites that may be
compromised.<http://lifehacker.com/chromebleed-notifies-you-if-a-visited-site-was-hit-by-h-1562512336>

Remote Base News

One station is operational.

[W0EQO station in the server room at Courage North.]

Handiham Remote Base internet station W0ZSW is on line for your use 24/7.
W0EQO is off line this week after an update failure.

  *   If you use Skype for audio, please connect and disconnect the Skype call
to the remote base manually.  The automatic calling and hang up is no longer
supported in Skype.
  *   200 watt operation is restored on 160, 80, and 40 meters for Extra and
Advanced Class users on W0ZSW.

·         Outages: Outages are reported on
http://handiham.org/remotebase/station-status/.
Digital Cartridges now Stocked at Handiham HQ:

Nancy now has the NLS 4GB digital cartridges and mailers available at our cost.
 She says:

We now have a supply of digital Talking Book cartridges and mailers available
for purchase for our Handiham members.  The total cost for a set is $15.50.  We
will download any digital study materials from the Members Only section of our
website onto your cartridge at no additional cost.  Minnesota residents please
add $1.13 MN Sales Tax.

[Pat holding up NLS digital cartridge and mailer]

Want to log in instead?  Let's go:

Secure, blind-friendly Handiham website login:
https://handiham.org/user#main-content

If you have trouble logging in, please let us know.

  *   All Daisy materials are in zip file format, so you simply download the
zip file you need and unzip it so the Daisy book folder can be accessed or
moved to your NLS or other Daisy player.
  *   Tip: When in the Daisy directory, it is easy to find the latest books by
sorting the files by date. Be sure the latest date is at the top. The link to
sort is called "Last Modified".
  *   You can also find what is on a web page by using CONTROL-F.  This brings
up a search box and you can type a key word in, such as "September".  You may
find more than one September, including 2012, but you will eventually come
across what we have posted for September 2013.

Digital mailers are important: If you do mail a digital cartridge to us, please
be sure that it is an approved free matter mailer. Otherwise it will quickly
cost us several dollars to package and mail out, which is more than the cost of
the mailer in the first place. Not including a mailer will result in a long
delay getting your request back out to you.

DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your call sign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc.<http://www.aph.org>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge, 4GB, Blank; Catalog Number: 1-02609-00, Price
$13.00

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Mailer Catalog Number: 1-02611-00, Price: $2.50

Order Toll-Free: (800) 223-1839.

The Library of Congress NLS has a list of vendors for the digital cartridges:

Get it all on line as an alternative:  Visit the DAISY section on the Handiham
website after logging in.

________________________________
Stay in touch

[Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone number changes, or email
address changes so that we can continue to stay in touch with you. You may
either email Nancy at
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or call her at
612-775-2291 If you need to use the toll-free number, call 1-866-426-3442.

Nancy Meydell, Handiham Secretary: 612-775-2291 (General information about the
Handiham program, membership renewals)

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA: 612-775-2290 (Program Coordinator, technical questions,
remote base requests, questions about licensing)

The Courage Kenny Handiham Program depends on the support of people like you,
who want to share the fun and friendship of ham radio with others. Please help
us provide services to people with disabilities.

format<http://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>
Email us to subscribe:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Courage Kenny Handiham Program<http://handiham.org>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

contact Handihams for help joining the ARRL. We will be happy to help you fill
out the paperwork!

[ARRL diamond-shaped logo]

The weekly e-letter is a compilation of software tips, operating information,
and Handiham news. It is published on Wednesdays, and is available to everyone
free of charge. Please email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  for changes of
address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address and your new address.

Return to Handiham.org<http://handiham.org>