[handiham-world] Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 20 May 2015

  • From: <Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 14:27:59 -0500

Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for
the week of Wednesday, 20 May 2015

This is a free weekly news & information update from the Courage Kenny
Handiham Program <https://handiham.org> , serving people with disabilities
in Amateur Radio since 1967.

Our contact information is at the end.

Listen here:
https://handiham.org/audio/handiham20MAY2015.mp3
<http://0345ed7.netsolhost.com/audio/handiham20MAY2015.mp3>

Get this podcast in iTunes:
in iTunes

<http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham> http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham

Subscribe or change your subscription to the E-mail version here.
<//www.freelists.org/list/handiham-world>

_____

Welcome to Handiham World.

In this edition:

. Back from Dayton.

. Check into our daily nets.

. Handiham office closed for holiday next week.

. This week's go-to website.

. The Remote Base HF report: Foiling Murphy.

. June audio production begins!

. ...And more!

_____

But first, we are back from our trip to HamventionR in Dayton, Ohio.

DARA Communications Van with mesh network antenna

Photo: The DARA van featured a telescoping mesh network antenna.

Yes, we are back from this year's HamventionR. I'm not sure what attendance
figures will be when they are tallied up, but my sense was that this was a
very good show indeed, both for exhibitors and attendees. The outdoor flea
market was pretty much full, and so much so that I didn't even come close to
having time to get through it all.

We enjoyed a fairly steady stream of visitors at the Handiham booth,
including ARRL Assistant Ohio Section Manager Kitty Heavener, W8TDA, and
former ARRL EMA Section Manager Phil Temples, K9HI.

Pat, WA0TDA, left, poses at the Handiham booth with Dave, WT8W.

Photo: Former ARRL Ohio Division Director Dave Coons, WT8W, also paid us a
visit.

Can you guess what all three of these visitors share in common? They have
all volunteered at Handiham Radio Camps! And as you might expect, they are
all accomplished volunteers in other aspects of Amateur Radio as well. All
have volunteered their time and talent to help ARRL. Dave has served two
terms as DARA President - no small task! Kitty is active in public service
communications and disability education. Phil has authored articles for
ARRL publications and is active in public service and in ARRL EMA Section
activities. He was also instrumental in getting our Handiham website
launched way back when many of us were wondering whether the web would ever
amount to anything or whether it was just another technology fad! Carl
Miller, N8NSD, also stopped by the booth. Carl is also a volunteer
emeritus, having helped us at many Courage North Handiham Radio Camp
sessions. My wife Susan helped us at the booth, and because she has also
visited many Radio Camps over the years, she enjoyed visiting with our camp
volunteers. John Hoenshell, N0BFJ, and his daughter Kathy Pezley, KA0YDQ,
were instrumental in organizing the trip to Dayton, lodging, the booth, and
the booth materials. John is also a veteran Radio Camp volunteer. We also
had a visit from three members of my own radio club, the Stillwater (MN)
Amateur Radio Association. Mike Knox, WA0KKE, was net control station for
our 20 meter Handiham net for several years. Keith Miller, AG0H, and Henry
Schwartz, K0HAS, help us to maintain our Handiham program radio equipment.
Thank you to all of you for your help over the years.

Plastic garbage can with mobile microphones hanging out of it.

Photo: I pulled my own share of booth duty, but also took some time to
wander around. You never know what kind of marketing technique you'll run
into in the massive outdoor flea market, and this year's best (in my
opinion) was this plastic garbage can used as a display for hundreds of old
hand microphones. The connector ends of the mic cords are inside the can
and the mics themselves hang over the lip of the can to dangle outside to
attract potential customers. Presentation is important in marketing!

I found a new mag mount 2m/70cm antenna to replace one that I'd run the lawn
mower over the week before and a bag of Anderson Powerpole connectors -
always useful with ARRL Field Day coming up next month. The good folks at
Ham Radio Deluxe were - as always - helpful and willing to accept user
feedback about their excellent rig control software. Thanks to this year's
visit to the HRD booth we will be enjoying one of the items on our wish
list, which is an increase in the number of potential remote base users in
HRD from 20 to over 200. The limited potential for registered users has in
the past been a limiting factor in the use of HRD for Handiham remote base
stations. Now we will be able to begin testing HRD as a Handiham Remote Base
rig control option. Several of us have also been opening a dialog about
engaging ham radio operators with disabilities in public service
communications. We were delighted to be able to meet with Mike Corey, KI1U,
ARRL Emergency Preparedness Manager, to get the ball rolling.

Thank you, DARA, for putting on a great show!

(For Handiham World, this is Pat Tice, WA0TDA.)

_____

On the air this week:

The Handiham office will be closed on Monday, 25 May 2015, the USA Memorial
Day holiday. Both HF remote base internet stations will remain on the air
for your use.

MIDCARS provides travel assistance on 7.258 MHz. This is a very active
frequency year-round as the net has a wide geographic footprint in the USA
Midwest.

PICONET is on 3.925 MHz. It is on daily except Sundays, and you will find
HF-savvy Handiham members checking in.

. You can find out more about PICONET on the PICONET website,
http://www.piconet3925.com.

Check into our Handiham nets... Everyone is welcome!

The Handiham Net will be on the air on Memorial Day. If there is no net
control station on any scheduled net day, we will have a roundtable on the
air get-together.

Cartoon multicolored stickman family holding hands, one wheelchair user
among them.

Our daily Echolink net continues to operate for anyone and everyone who
wishes to participate at 11:00 hours CDT (Noon Eastern and 09:00 Pacific),
as well as Wednesday and Thursday evenings at 19:00 hours CDT (7 PM). If
you calculate GMT, the time difference is that GMT is five hours ahead of
Minnesota time during the summer.

Doug, N6NFF, poses a trivia question in the first half of the Wednesday
evening session, so check in early if you want to take a guess. The answer
to the trivia question is generally given shortly after the half-hour mark.
A big THANK YOU to all of our net control stations and to our Handiham Club
Net Manager, Michael, VE7KI.

_____

This week's go-to website: ARRL.org.

ARRL diamond-shaped logo

Check out the ARRL website for news about an award received recently by ARRL
for its untiring devotion to public service communications. It's the
Heinrich Hertz Award for
<http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-receives-npstc-hertz-award> "exceptional
devotion to the activities of NPSTC and unwavering support of the public
safety communications community."

While you're on the ARRL site, check their take on the happenings at Dayton.
The subject heading, "Dayton Hamvention 2015: Day 2
<http://www.arrl.org/news/dayton-hamvention-2015-day-2-aisle-jamming-attenda
nce-arrl-member-forum> - Aisle-Jamming Attendance", points to a successful
HamventionR!

Looking for a non-graphical representation of a USA Frequency Chart?
<http://www.arrl.org/frequency-allocations> You'll find it on the ARRL
website, readable by blind hams who use screenreading software.

But the Frequency Chart is not the same as a Band Plan. You should also
take some time to examine the ARRL Band Plan, also accessible to blind hams
using screenreaders. <http://www.arrl.org/band-plan>

For those of you who subscribe to the ARRL ARES E-Letter, there is an
interesting letter written by Scott Rowe, AB8VN, detailing his technique for
using a bow and arrow to launch wire antennas over tree branches. This
could be quite useful next month during Field Day setup. ARRL members can
subscribe to a variety of communications like the ARES E-Letter via the ARRL
Member Profile page.

_____

A dip in the pool

circuit board

Dip in the pool is taking the month of May off. If you are studying for
your General, our recommendation is that you shift into high gear and plan
to take your exam under the old pool, testing on or before June 30, 2015. If
that is not possible, begin studying now with the new pool. It will be some
time before we can make a new set of audio lectures as time is limited. Be
sure your study materials, especially practice exam websites, are up to date
and you have chosen the correct practice exam pool for whenever you plan to
take the real test.

_____

Both Handiham HF remote base internet stations are up and running.

New! Scan this QR code to visit the Remote Base website on your smartphone.

Handiham Remote Base info QR code

. Both stations remained up and running during the week I was away
from the office. I try not to let "Murphy" find out that I'm going to be
gone!

. We think we have solved the problem with RF getting into the W0ZSW
host computer controlling the IC-7200. Ferrite chokes have been added to
several critical leads. Please file a problem report for W0ZSW by email if
you notice that the W4MQ software is not responding or Skype stops working.
<mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx?subject=Problem%20with%20W0ZSW%20station>

. The W0ZSW remote base station is now operated part time with W4MQ
software controlling the IC-7200 (no speech frequency announcements via the
internet) and the ARCP-590 software controlling the TS-590S (speech
frequency announcements available via the internet.)

. If you are a registered user, check the station's schedule for
which rig is in use at the remote base website
<http://handiham.org/remotebase/> and in the W0ZSW Skype status.

. We have run into a problem with Skype crashing on the W0EQO host
computer at Camp Courage North. Please file a problem report for W0EQO by
email if you notice that the W4MQ software is not responding or Skype stops
working. <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx?subject=Problem%20with%20W0EQO%20station>

. W0EQO is available as an alternative to registered users and does
feature a Kenwood TS-480SAT with speech frequency readout.

* Our two stations are W0EQO at Camp Courage North and W0ZSW in the
Twin Cities East Metro. Please visit the remote base website for more
information on the status of the stations, the W4MQ software downloads, and
installation instructions. Details at Remote Base website
<https://handiham.org/remotebase/> .
* Contact me if you are interested in hosting a Handiham Remote Base
station, either here in the Twin Cities or anywhere else in the USA!
<mailto:Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=Remote%20Base%20Hosting>

. If you are an experienced TS-590S and ARCP-590 user and are
interested in participating in these tests, please let me know.
<mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx?subject=Participate%20in%20TS-590S%20Testing>

_____

Why are the HF bands so blah?

If you've been trying to check into an HF net in past day or two, you
already know that HF conditions are not very good. Now we know why: Space
Weather News for May 19, 2015 reports that "a moderate (G2-class)
geomagnetic storm is underway on May 19th as Earth enters an unsettled
stream of solar wind. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for
auroras, especially during the hours around local midnight."

Find out more at my favorite solar WX site:
http://spaceweather.com

_____

New audio:

The Doctor is In column from the June 2015 QST audio recording for our blind
members has been completed by volunteer reader Ken Padgitt, W9MJY. Thanks,
Ken!

May CQ DAISY digest audio has been recorded by Jim Perry, KJ3P, and is
available to our blind members.

May QST DAISY digest audio has been recorded by Bob Zeida, N1BLF, and Ken
Padgitt, W9MJY, and is available to our blind members.

May QCWA Journal has been recorded by Jim Perry, KJ3P, and is available in
streaming MP3 from a link at QCWA.org <http://www.qcwa.org/qcwa.php> or
listen here <https://handiham.org/audio/QCWA/QCWA-2015-May.mp3> .

Podcast: If you would like to receive this audio newsletter as a podcast in
software other than iTunes, the RSS feed for the audio podcast is:
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham> http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham

Email version: Subscribe or change your subscription to the E-mail version
here. <//www.freelists.org/list/handiham-world>

Weekly audio reminder: If you are a Handiham member and want a weekly
reminder about our new audio, let us know. Watch for new audio Thursday
afternoons. (Some audio is available only to members.)

Beginner course DAISY download available for our blind members: We now have
the DAISY version of the entire Technician Class lecture series on line for
download.

Some of you have asked about the 2015 General Lecture Series. The new
General pool will be used for exams beginning on July 1, 2015. If you are
planning to study for General at Radio Camp in August, you will take your
exam based on the new General question pool.

But you can start studying using the new pool right now! Bob Zeida, N1BLF,
has finished the recording of the new 2015 General Class Question Pool and
it is in the General Class section in the Members part of the website.

Jim, KJ3P, has recorded the DXer's Handbook Second Edition by Bryce, K7UA,
for our blind members. If you are a Handiham member and need a link to the
DAISY download, please let me know.

Thanks to our volunteer readers:

Bob, N1BLF

Jim, KJ3P

Ken, W9MJY

_____

Radio Camp News: We will once again be at the Woodland campus, Camp
Courage.

Cabin 2, site of our ham radio stations and classes.
Photo: A Woodland Cabin with screen porch, fireplace, kitchen, laundry, and
comfortable great room.

Plan to work DX with the triband HF beam antenna. In addition, we will be
installing several wire antennas fed with 450 ohm ladder line for
high-efficiency operation on multiple bands. We will be able to check in to
the popular PICONET HF net on 3.925 MHz. Radios you can try at camp include
the remote base stations running the Kenwood TS-480, and get your hands on a
Kenwood TS-590S or TS-2000, both of which will be set up to operate. If you
have a special request for gear you would like to check out at camp, please
let us know.

Other activities at camp:

. New! We have acquired an Icom IC-7200 to try out at camp. These
excellent rigs come with built in speech.

. Campers needing radio equipment or accessories to take home and
complete their stations should let us know what they need. Equipment will
be distributed at camp.

. We will have a Handiham Radio Club meeting that will include
election of club officers and planning for the upcoming year.

. The Icom IC-718 will once again be pressed into service on the
camp pontoon boat for HF operation from Cedar Lake. All aboard! QRMers
will walk the plank if caught.

. We'll have time for several operating skills discussions.

. Anyone interested in a hidden transmitter hunt on VHF?

If you want to get a first license or study for an upgrade, let us know.

<http://truefriends.org/camp/> Camp dates are now published in the True
Friends Camp Catalog. They are Tuesday, August 18 (arrival) through Monday,
August 24 (departure),

Please let Nancy know if you wish to receive a 2015 Radio Camp Application.
<mailto:Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=2015%20Radio%20Camp%20Application%2
0Request>

_____

Membership

. You can pay your Handiham dues and certain other program fees on
line. Simply follow the link to our secure payment site, then enter your
information and submit the payment. It's easy and secure!

o Handiham annual membership dues are $12.00. The lifetime membership
rate is $120.00.
MEMBERSHIP DUES PAYMENT LINK
<https://pay.usbank.com/default.aspx?id=COURAGE_KENNY_HANDIHAMS>

o If you want to donate to the Handiham Program, please use our donation
website. The instructions are at the following link:
DONATION LINK <http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/node/8>

o We hope you will remember us in your 2015 giving plans. The Courage
Kenny Handiham program needs your help. Our small staff works with
volunteers, members, and donors to share the fun of Amateur Radio with
people who have disabilities or sensory impairments. We've been doing this
work since 1967, steadily adapting to the times and new technologies, but
the mission is still one of getting people on the air and helping them to be
part of the ham radio community. Confidence-building, lifelong learning,
making friends - it's all part of ham radio and the Handiham Program.
Begging cartoon doggie

o The weekly audio podcast <https://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3> was
produced with the open-source audio editor Audacity
<http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/> .

How to contact us

There are several ways to contact us.

Postal Mail:

Courage Kenny Handiham Program
3915 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN 55422

E-Mail: <mailto:Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx> Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx

Preferred telephone: 1-612-775-2291

Note: Mondays through Thursdays between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM United States
Central Time are the best times to contact us.

You may also call Handiham Program Coordinator Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, at:
612-775-2290.

FAX: 612-262-6718 Be sure to put "Handihams" in the FAX address! We look
forward to hearing from you soon.

73, and I hope to hear you on the air soon!

For Handiham World, this is Pat Tice, WA0TDA.

fill out the paperwork!

ARRL diamond-shaped logo

available to everyone free of charge. Please email Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx
for changes of address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address
and your new address.

<http://handiham.org> Return to Handiham.org

PNG image

JPEG image