[handiham-world] Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 19 February 2014

  • From: Pat Tice <Pat.Tice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 19:17:21 +0000

[Logo for Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute, part of Allina Health]
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the
week of Wednesday, 19 February 2014

This is a free weekly news & information update from Courage Kenny Handiham
System<http://handiham.org>. Our contact information is at the end, or simply
email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for changes
in subscriptions or to comment. You can listen to this news online.

MP3 audio:
http://handiham.org/audio/handiham19FEB2014.mp3

Get this podcast in iTunes:
[Subscribe to our audio podcast in
iTunes]<http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406>

http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham<http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham>

________________________________
Welcome to Handiham World.

[Pound Puppies pose with J-38 Morse Code key, courtesy N0SBU]
Photo:  Pound Puppies(tm) pose with J-38 Morse Code key, courtesy George, N0SBU.

To key or not to key?

That is a question for many new hams who have entered Amateur Radio via the
no-code licensing structure.  Beginning with the Technician, there are
automatic Morse Code privileges, since you can get on bands like 80 meters -
bands that many new hams don't even associate with their class of license.  But
check it out:  Technicians have CW privileges between 3.525 and 3.600 MHz, and
can even use up to 200 watts!

New hams with fresh Tech licenses usually head straight for FM repeater
operation, which is understandable.  They can get started in ham radio with a
minimal outlay for equipment, and VHF/UHF antennas are much easier to install
than HF antennas.  Mobile and portable operation is easier on VHF FM, too.
Some will have entered the hobby because of an interest in public service
communications.  Others will simply be interested in having a ready alternative
means of portable communication.

These are all good things, but they represent only a small part of what one can
accomplish with a Technician license.  I've come to believe that part of the
problem lies in the mindset of us "old-timers", who still use phrases like,
"When are you going to upgrade to your General license so that you can get on
HF?"

I've been guilty of that sort of thinking over the years.  In fact, it is
pretty common following up on a successful VE session to suggest that newcomers
watch for their callsigns to appear in the FCC database and then to get on the
local club's repeater.  There's nothing wrong with that.  After all, we want
our new hams to be engaged with club resources and to get on the air.
Virtually none of these newbies knows Morse code, so there doesn't seem to be
much traction in suggesting that they get started with CW on 80 meters.
Acquiring HF gear, learning the code, and putting up HF antennas for bands like
80 meters - all of these seem to be further out on the horizon, so we don't
really talk them up.

But we should.

The way we do so makes a big difference, too.  We don't want to present HF code
operation as a tall cliff to be scaled.  Instead, we are better off visiting a
bit with our new hams as we congratulate them at the VE session - the perfect
time to broach the topic.  Mention that the club repeater is available, and
answer their questions about ARRL and club membership. But don't forget to
bring up HF operation and the availability of the 28.300 to 28.500 MHz segment
of the 10 meter band, where Techs may use SSB phone and up to 200 watts of
power.  Try to make the following points:

*         10 meter phone operation is within their reach!

*         Antennas for 10 meters are relatively compact and easily installed.

*         Almost all modern transceivers cover at least 160 through 10 meters.

*         DX contacts are common on 10 meters when the band is open.

It's now obvious that getting on HF is not that difficult at all!  In fact, you
can (hopefully) mention that the club has several members who can give antenna
advice and perhaps even assist with an installation.  Once a new ham gets
active on 10 meters, it is now only a short journey to learning new modes like
Morse operation and trying other frequency bands.  Furthermore, that taste of
HF operation on 10 can whet the appetite for more privileges and point down the
path to General Class.

Sometimes I hear from people who want individualized tutoring.  They might ask
if we have anyone available to personally teach them what they need to get
their first license or an upgrade.  Some of them live in isolated small towns
while others live in urban areas.  While our small program doesn't have the
resources to be everywhere in person, we do have our on line audio lectures for
Tech, General, and Extra.  It's a way to study for a license with at least some
personalized assistance no matter where one lives.  We always refer our
students to local radio clubs, though.  It's essential to building a full ham
radio life to be connected with the local people who share your interest in
radio.  I mention this because one area of amateur radio study where it really
does help to have local support, and perhaps even individualized or small group
learning, is in learning the Morse code!  Might a code study group gain some
traction in your radio club?  You don't really know until you ask - and you
might be surprised!  You could even find Extra Class operators who want to
learn code so that they won't have to bypass those CW DX spots on the
reflector.  But the biggest benefit is to be had from Technicians and Generals
who will be able to use significant parts of the radio spectrum that they have
had to pass by because they didn't know Morse code.  We can only do
individualized or small group Morse code training at our annual Radio Camp
session, but local radio clubs can have study groups any time, all year long!

Individualized tutoring can help when learning code, but what if you live at
the end of the road, far from any club resources?  Hopefully you have internet
access, because there are some good on line code learning resources.  We like
AA9PW.com, which offers lots of ham radio licensing resources.  It's a great
free practice exam website that also offers Morse code training and practice,
including an audio podcast dedicated to code learning. Find it at:
www.aa9pw.com<http://www.aa9pw.com>.

While checking out that website, also take a look at the AA9PW HamMorse app for
iPhone<https://itunes.apple.com/app/ham-morse/id315980140?mt=8>.  It provides
an inexpensive portable way to use your iPhone to learn the code and then build
code speed. The cost is $4.99 from the iTunes Store.  AA9PW tells you about the
features here.<http://aa9pw.com/hammorse/> There are plenty of other code
resources, but I feel safe recommending AA9PW.com, which has always offered
good accessibility to our blind Handiham members.  If you live in the Android
world, you may want to check out the free Morse Code Trainer by Todd Anderson
in the Google Play
Store<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hunt.morseDit&hl=en>.

Be sure to encourage your new hams to check out HF, and especially to follow up
by learning Morse code.  They will thank you when they begin enjoying the CW
portions of the HF bands and the opportunity to work DX!

________________________________
Bulletins
Where can I find the ARRL Band Plan?

*         Glad you asked!  It's at:
http://www.arrl.org/band-plan

Is there a list of common simplex frequencies for 29 MHz and above?

*         Sure thing.  Let's go to the Minnesota Repeater Council and check it
out:
http://www.mrc.gen.mn.us/010902/FMSIMP.htm

More info on DX Clusters:

*         Hi Pat and All,

Just reading the Handiham newsletter, and Pat's info on accessible clusters,
and I thought I'd pass on the clusters I use.

Firstly, AC Log.  Even if you don't use the log, I believe the cluster area can
still be used.  The area is entered with Ctrl+Z, and the Up and Down arrows
move you through the list.  New spots are added to the top of the list, but the
focus remains in the  same place.  If you have rig control setup, just hit
Enter, and the radio goes to the Spot frequency.

AC Log also has a Watch List.  I read the Daily DX bulletin, and any callsigns
that interest me are entered into the Watch List.  A beep is then sounded when
the callsign comes up on to the cluster.  A line containing the callsign is
also shown, and I have Window-Eyes monitor this line and automatically read it
aloud.

Finally, I use http://dxfor.me.  This shows a table of cluster spots, but you
can enter a particular callsign or callsigns.  You can set an audio alert, and
the bands and modes you want to be alerted about.  If the big DXpedition is
FT5ZM, I check the audio alert, each band and mode I'm interested in, and enter
the callsign.  I then save this for future use.
Each day I come into the shack, I enter the callsign, and all the check boxes
are set as per my previous settings.  If I work FT5ZM on 20m CW and 15m SSB, I
uncheck these, and now the audio alert will not be sounded for the bands I've
worked.  Over the several weeks of the expedition, hopefully, most of the bands
and modes will be unchecked, and the audio alert will only sound for the slots
you need!

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org<http://www.active-elements.org>

2014 Radio Camp Operating Skills (Saturday, August 16 through Saturday August
23, 2014)

*         Our study guide for 2014 Handiham Radio Camp Operating Skills will be
the ARRL Public Service Handbook First
Edition<http://www.arrl.org/shop/Amateur-Radio-Public-Service-Handbook>.  It is
available from your favorite ham radio dealer or directly from ARRL.  Blind
Handiham members should contact us for the DAISY version.  We will be happy to
place it on your NLS DAISY cartridge for you.

*         Update:  NLS DAISY cartridges have arrived at Handiham HQ. Cost is
$15.50 for cartridge and mailer, MN residents add sales tax.

Dip in the pool dives into the Extra Class:

*         Today we are going to dip our toes into the Extra pool.

Lately we are hearing quite regularly about how we can expect to see aurora on
dark nights in locations away from bright city lights - following some solar
event or other.  What does the Question Pool think about this phenom?  Here's a
question that might turn up on your exam, so pay attention and you'll be one
question closer to acing that test:

E3C01 asks:  "Which of the following effects does Aurora activity have on radio
communications?"

Possible answers are:

A. SSB signals are raspy
B. Signals propagating through the Aurora are fluttery
C. CW signals appear to be modulated by white noise
D. All of these choices are correct

This is one of those sneaky "All of these choices are correct" answers.
Working HF & VHF can get pretty weird-sounding during auroral activity.  It
sounds like nothing else, and you may run across it when beaming a signal over
the poles.  Don't believe me?  Hey, check out this audio clip of a VHF CW QSO
from
www.astrosurf.com<http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/Radio/aurora-cw-gm4vvx.wav>.

Space Weather News for Feb. 19, 2014 at http://spaceweather.com is reporting a
CME IMPACT: A minor geomagnetic storm was already in progress during the early
hours of Feb. 19th when a CME struck Earth's magnetic field. The impact
revved-up the storm and sent Northern Lights spilling across the Canadian
border into the United States.
Visit http://spaceweather.com for updates and images of the display.
Avery asks a question!  "What time is it?"

[Avery operating CW]

*         Hi, Pat - Do you happen to know how they measure time on the
International Space Station and the Mars Rover?  ISS crosses so many times
zones so quickly and Mars Rover is on a completely different planet.   If a
person on Earth, Mars, and ISS wanted to meet at a certain universal time what
would it be? How would they figure it?

All timed out...
73, Avery, K0HLA
*         That is a good question, Avery.  Since I didn't know the answer
myself, I posed it to a NASA professional, Dr. Ken Silberman,  KB3LLA.  Here is
his response, which is the most concise reply I have ever received from a
government official:

"GMT".

Thanks, Ken, and there you go, Avery.  It makes sense to use GMT so everyone
works on a common schedule in a situation that includes participants from
around the planet and beyond.
FEMA App for Android or iPhone allows you to submit disaster photos

  *   I first found out about this in the ARRL ARES E-letter.  It's a
smartphone app that FEMA has released to allow citizens to submit photos from
disaster sites.  The description on the Google Play
Store<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.fema.mobile.android&hl=en>
 says:

"The FEMA App contains preparedness information for different types of
disasters, an interactive checklist for emergency kits, a section to plan
emergency meeting locations, information on how to stay safe and recover after
a disaster, a map with FEMA Disaster Recovery Center locations (one-stop
centers where disaster survivors can access key relief services) and Shelters,
general ways the public can get involved before and after a disaster, and the
FEMA blog."

The app is available for free from the Play Store (Android) or for iOS (The
iTunes Store.)  Just search for FEMA in apps. I plan to install it on my Nexus
4 phone this afternoon.

________________________________
Practical Radio

[pliers and wire]

Updates:  Install them or else.  Or else what?

Updates have become a part of our digital lives.  It seems like everything in
the house has some kind of computer processor in it these days, and the
software to run these processors sometimes requires updating to newer versions.
 Manufacturers release things like "firmware upgrades" to resolve problems of
one kind or another in the original version of the software that controls the
device.  Amateur radio transceivers sometimes need these updates, but the more
common experience is for our ham shack computers to get update notices - often
every week!

These can be a hassle to install, because they take time and bandwidth to
install, and some of them require user intervention at a fairly high level as
well as a reboot of the computer or device.  No one likes being interrupted by
software updates when they are using their computer for something else.

But can you safely ignore updates?

That depends.  If the update is a firmware upgrade on a radio, you can usually
visit the manufacturer's website to find out what issues the update resolves.
If they are not important ones, you can probably either ignore the update or do
it at a later date when it is more convenient. On the other hand, if the update
addresses an issue that is critical, you will want to take care of it before
there is damage to the hardware.  What if the radio's cooling fan did not come
on when it was supposed to and that issue was addressed in an update?  I'd say
that you should do the update as soon as possible!

Computer updates are labeled as critical or important, or sometimes only
"optional".  What should you do?  The thing to remember here is that
internet-connected computers are at risk if they are not kept updated.  Hackers
and malware can ruin your computer, messing up your files and stealing your
personal information. This, in my opinion, creates a high risk and high risks
need to be avoided as a priority matter.  That means that I have turned on
"automatic updates" in my Windows computer here in the ham shack. I accept the
inconvenience of being stopped or slowed in my work from time to time because I
know that the updates must be done to lower the risk of losing my data.

You may have a reason for not doing automatic updates, but if you go down that
path you must accept more risk.  Sometimes a middle path can work, such as
manually installing updates once a week when you have set aside a time for that
job and it won't disturb any other work on your computer.

Software programs are also set to check for updates and sometimes how often and
when they do so can be user-configured.  For example, Ham Radio Deluxe will
check for updates and bring up a message about them. This can be set for a day,
week, or month check.  I don't consider updates to HRD to be critical to my
operation, so I don't need to check very often.  On the other hand, software
like Java should be updated soon after a notification about an available update
is released.  This is because of security issues that can be introduced by a
widely-used software process, and is much more critical to your computer's
safety.

So should you update?  Yes, when the risk of not doing so is real.  Yes, if you
have noncritical updates that will resolve issues for you.  Maybe - it can be
your choice -  if there is no risk and the update does not address your needs.

This is practical radio, so use what works for you.

________________________________
Handiham Nets are on the air daily.

[headset]

Listen for Doug, N6NFF, tonight and try to answer the trivia question during
the first half hour.  Check in later just to get in the log and say hello.  The
trivia question answer is revealed shortly after the first half hour.

all of our net control stations!

We maintain our nets at 11:00 hours daily relative to Minnesota time.  Since
the nets remain true to Minnesota time, the difference between Minnesota time
and GMT is -6 hours.  The net is on the air at 17:00 hours GMT.

The two evening sessions are at 01:00 GMT Thursday and Friday.  Here in
Minnesota that translates to 7:00 PM Wednesday and Thursday.

The official and most current net news may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets

________________________________
This week @ HQ

[Cartoon robot with pencil]

Digests & Lectures

Jim Perry, KJ3P, Bob Zeida, N1BLF, and Ken Padgitt, W9MJY do the volunteer
recording.  Thanks, guys!

Secure, blind-friendly Handiham website login:
https://handiham.org/user#main-content

February 2014 QST Digest in Daisy format is now available.

CQ Magazine & CQ Plus February 2014 digests in DAISY format.  Log in and check
out the new CQ!

QCWA Digest for February 2014 is available in MP3.

In Operating Skills: Joe Bogwist, N3AIN, opens his Radio in the Dark series
with tutorials on how to use the new Kenwood TS-590S 160 - 6 m transceiver!

In the Extra Class audio lecture series we have recently covered antenna
modeling and HF propagation.  Our latest lecture number is 60, and we are
nearing the end of the series.

Worldradio Online for January 2014 has been recorded by Bob Zeida, N1BLF.
Thanks, Bob!
  This is the FINAL edition of Worldradio as a standalone publication, due to
the consolidation of several CQ publications.
Remote Base News

Both stations are operational. W0EQO was down quite a bit last week during a
marathon session of updates!  W0ZSW had only a few minutes of down time during
updates.

[W0EQO station in the server room at Courage North.]

[Kenwood TS-480HX transceiver with LDG autotuner]

Both Handiham Remote Base internet stations W0ZSW and W0EQO are on line for
your use 24/7.

  *   If you use Skype for audio, please connect and disconnect the Skype call
to the remote base manually.  The automatic calling and hang up is no longer
supported in Skype.
  *   200 watt operation is restored on 160, 80, and 40 meters for Extra and
Advanced Class users on W0ZSW.

*         Outages: Outages are reported on
http://handiham.org/remotebase/station-status/.

Operating tip:  Find out how to tell if the remote base station is already in
use if you are using JAWS:

  *   Listen to the tutorial:
http://www.handiham.org/audio/remotebase/W4MQ_status_JAWS.mp3
  *   Read the tutorial in accessible HTML:
http://handiham.org/remotebase/2013/03/05/check-station-status-with-jaws-13-or-14/

Digital Cartridges now Stocked at Handiham HQ:

Nancy now has the NLS 4GB digital cartridges and mailers available at our cost.
 She says:

We now have a supply of digital Talking Book cartridges and mailers available
for purchase for our Handiham members.  The total cost for a set is $15.50.  We
will download any digital study materials from the Members Only section of our
website onto your cartridge at no additional cost.  Minnesota residents please
add $1.13 MN Sales Tax.

[Pat holding up NLS digital cartridge and mailer]

Don't care to download Handiham materials via computer? The NLS digital
cartridge and mailer can bring you Handiham audio digests each month, plus we
have room to put the audio lecture series or equipment tutorials on them, too!

Want to log in?  Let's go:

Secure, blind-friendly Handiham website login:
https://handiham.org/user#main-content

If you have trouble logging in, please let us know.

  *   All Daisy materials are in zip file format, so you simply download the
zip file you need and unzip it so the Daisy book folder can be accessed or
moved to your NLS or other Daisy player.
  *   Tip: When in the Daisy directory, it is easy to find the latest books by
sorting the files by date. Be sure the latest date is at the top. The link to
sort is called "Last Modified".
  *   You can also find what is on a web page by using CONTROL-F.  This brings
up a search box and you can type a key word in, such as "September".  You may
find more than one September, including 2012, but you will eventually come
across what we have posted for September 2013.

Digital mailers are important: If you do mail a digital cartridge to us, please
be sure that it is an approved free matter mailer. Otherwise it will quickly
cost us several dollars to package and mail out, which is more than the cost of
the mailer in the first place. We don't have a stock of cartridges or mailers
and not including a mailer will result in a long delay getting your request
back out to you.

DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your call sign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc.<http://www.aph.org>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge, 4GB, Blank; Catalog Number: 1-02609-00, Price
$13.00

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Mailer Catalog Number: 1-02611-00, Price: $2.50

Order Toll-Free: (800) 223-1839.

The Library of Congress NLS has a list of vendors for the digital cartridges:

Get it all on line as an alternative:  Visit the DAISY section on the Handiham
website after logging in.

________________________________
Stay in touch

[Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone number changes, or email
address changes so that we can continue to stay in touch with you. You may
either email Nancy at
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or call her at
763-520-0512.  If you need to use the toll-free number, call 1-866-426-3442.

Handiham Program Coordinator Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or by phone at

The Courage Kenny Handiham Program depends on the support of people like you,
who want to share the fun and friendship of ham radio with others. Please help
us provide services to people with disabilities.

format<http://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>
Email us to subscribe:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Courage Kenny Handiham Program<http://handiham.org>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

contact Handihams for help joining the ARRL. We will be happy to help you fill
out the paperwork!

[ARRL diamond-shaped logo]

The weekly e-letter is a compilation of software tips, operating information,
and Handiham news. It is published on Wednesdays, and is available to everyone
free of charge. Please email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  for changes of
address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address and your new address.

Return to Handiham.org<http://handiham.org>