[handiham-world] Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 17 December 2014

  • From: <Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:16:31 -0600

the week of Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Courage Kenny Handiham System. Our contact information is at the end.

Listen here:
https://handiham.org/audio/handiham17DEC2014.mp3

Cartoon snowman holding handy-talkie.

Holiday wishes

Happy Hanukkah!  The holiday season is well-joined with the beginning of
Hanukkah (December 16 - 24) and Thanksgiving already behind us.  Since this
will be your second-to-last E-letter and podcast of 2014, we want to take
this opportunity to wish everyone all the best for a wonderful holiday
season.  Next week we will be closed for the Christmas holiday on Christmas
Eve and reopening on Monday, December 22.  We will close on Wednesday
afternoon, New Year's Eve for a long New Year's Day holiday.  We reopen on
Monday, January 5, 2015.  There will be no E-letter next Wednesday, so we'll
take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas.

What's on your Christmas list?

Assuming you've been good boys and girls, you probably have a wish list.
Will Santa deliver?  I guess he probably has to balance all of your good
behavior on the air with the reasonableness of your requests!  Being
technical-minded folks, we can imagine a sort of mathematical equivalency.
Let's look at a few examples:

Wish List format:  Item wished for = positive behavior.  We will list the
item you would like and the behavior that we think should be required to
earn it.  Santa has to have some kind of accounting system, right?

*       Bag of Anderson Powerpole
<http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/>  connectors = Always
listening before transmitting
*        <http://www.arrl.org/arrl-handbook-2015> ARRL Handbook = Always
courteous when someone else makes a mistake on the air
*        <http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-16010> MFJ
Random Wire Antenna Tuner = Never forgetting to identify using complete
callsign
*        <http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/microphones> Heil
Microphone = Remembering and using correct phonetics
*
<http://www.kenwoodusa.com/communications/amateur_radio/portables/th-f6a>
TH-F6A Handheld triband radio with navigation accessible to blind users =
Participating in local VHF/UHF activities regularly, including passing
traffic on local nets and acting as a net control station once in a while.
*
<http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7200/default.aspx> Icom
IC-7200 160 through 6 meter HF transceiver with built in voice frequency
announcements = Now we are getting pretty serious about being good!  Santa
expects you to volunteer to help other amateurs with antenna or other
projects, and to show newbies how to operate their radio equipment.
*
<http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-59
0S> Kenwood TS-590S or SG 160 through 6 meter HF transceiver equipped with
optional VGS1 voice guide module = Santa says you have to step up to the
plate and bring some runs in for this excellent blind-accessible radio.  He
expects nothing less than the best behavior on the air and off, plus
volunteering for ham radio club officer positions, participating in and
organizing on the air events, being an active ARRL member, and keeping your
Handiham membership up to date.
*
<http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-99
0S> Kenwood TS-990S 160 through 6 meter HF transceiver with built in voice
guide and recorder, 200 watts, built in power supply, triple DSP, and more =
Before Santa spends that kind of money on you, he expects you to do all of
the above plus be an A-1 Operator <http://www.arrl.org/a-1-op>  and
volunteer for just about every ham radio organization and project in the
book.  Plus, he may ask you to chip in a bit on the cost.

So what happens if you are on Santa's naughty list?

*       Never put your hand up to volunteer to help with anything?  Socks
and a necktie for you!  And the necktie (knitted by that aunt who still
thinks you're 7 years old) will be so hideous that it will look better
covered with spilled gravy.
*       Lapsed Handiham <http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/membership>  or
ARRL membership <http://www.arrl.org/membership> ?  You're getting a paper
memo minder book.  With a number 2 pencil.  Unsharpened.
*       Using all kinds of ham radio services while never contributing to
their upkeep?  That will earn you a bag of used PL-259 connectors still
soldered to cut off coax.
*       Talking on the air for hours without identifying, breaking in before
listening, boldly telling everyone else how things should be (your way or
the highway), and using made up phonetics?  Santa hates all that stuff and
has no choice but to bring you a set of cheap imported hand tools made from
metal that is at least 50% butter, guaranteed to break on the first use. If
you have been particularly bad, you may also get the necktie.

Yes, it is definitely best to be on Santa's good side.  He realizes everyone
drops the ball once in a while, but he expects you to carry on with the game
and do better next time.  Check out The Radio Amateur's Code.
<http://www.arrl.org/amateur-code>   It's a great place to begin and always
a good reminder.

Check into our Handiham nets... Everyone is welcome!

One regular Handiham Net checker-inner is Bill, K9BV, a long-time Handiham
Radio Camp volunteer instructor.  Here is a trivia hunt for you detectives
out there.  A famous fictional computer played a pivotal part in a movie.
The computer was said to have been developed at a university not too far
from the K9BV QTH.  Can you guess the City, the name of the university, the
name of the movie, and what the computer was called?  For extra credit, what
famous two word plea did the computer utter?  The answer will be revealed in
the last E-letter of the year on New Year's Eve.

Our daily Echolink net continues to operate for anyone and everyone who
wishes to participate at 11:00 hours CST (Noon Eastern and 09:00 Pacific),
as well as Wednesday and Thursday evenings at 19:00 hours CST (7 PM).

Doug, N6NFF, poses a trivia question in the first half of the Wednesday
evening session, so check in early if you want to take a guess.   The answer
to the trivia question is generally given shortly after the half-hour mark.
Sometimes the questions are real brain-busters and other times they are
softballs.  Even I can get some of them right, so you can too!

Note that nets may or may not be on the air during and around special
holidays like Christmas and New Year's Day.  If the net does not
materialize, please feel free to start a round table discussion.  If you
were one of the unlucky few who got the socks and necktie from Santa, let us
know and we will listen sympathetically while secretly thinking, "I'm sure
glad I'm not that poor guy."

Operating tips for any net:

Please listen to the Net Control Station (NCS).  He or she will let you know
who is being called, how to check in, and how the net is to be conducted.
Most Net Control Station operators have broad discretion on how they will
accept stations checking in and will state their preference at the beginning
of the net and periodically through the session.

A big THANK YOU to all of our net control stations and to our Handiham Club
Net Manager, Michael, VE6UE.

Speaking of getting on the air...

Today's featured nets are two blind operators nets, one on 14.258 MHz and
the other is actually more of a roundtable and is on 7.188 MHz.  Details for
both are on the excellent Ham Radio and Vision website.
<http://www.hamradioandvision.com/blind-ops-net/>

Taking stock:

Let's find out what's going on.

QST for January 2015 is out in digital and print:

Check it out by following the QST link on ARRL.org.
<http://www.arrl.org/qst>   Remember that the digital QST is an ARRL member
service, so you must be logged in. Update!  I have found a great article on
grounding in this issue.  It's on page 63, and is "The Myth of the RF
Ground" by H. Ward Silver, N0AX. Too many ops don't know the difference
between safety ground and RF ground.  This concise explanation is well worth
a read.

We are over halfway through the month. Did you miss the December Events by
N1YXU?

This month's column is posted on Handiham.org.
<http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/node/377>   Check it out and think about
what you would like to have listed for January.

Teach something to someone:

Powerpole jumper wire

Pictured:  PowerpoleR jumper wire.  Do you know how to make one of these?
Maybe you could teach someone else how to make one, too!

Does your radio club offer programs on interesting topics following the
usual club business meeting?  Most do.  It's a tried and true formula to get
the business part of the meeting out of the way, then take a short break and
return for the fun stuff.  The typical program is a speaker who shares
something interesting with the audience.  It might be experiences on a
DXpedition, the saga of putting up a new antenna system, showing off and
explaining a construction or software project, something about public
service - pretty much any ham radio topic where the speaker has experience
and a story to tell.  These programs are educational because club members
have a chance to listen and learn about something new, perhaps in some
aspect of Amateur Radio that they have not explored themselves.

There is one problem with that kind of presentation.  Sometimes we actually
need to do some hands-on learning instead of passively sitting in an
audience listening to a speaker and watching a slide show or video.

There is an opportunity here for you to teach in a different way.  Once in a
while, plan a hands-on club project, such as building a small electronics
kit.  Maybe a show and tell about electronic tools can include some actual
time using meters and other instruments to test components.  Making
something useful for the ham shack, like Powerpole jumper wires, is a good
and practical program idea. In the summer the "program" can move outdoors
for a hidden mini two meter  or 70 cm transmitter hunt using several
different supplied directional antennas. Another excellent show and tell
program moves out to the parking lot, where everyone can show off their HF
and VHF/UHF mobile installations and answer questions about mounting radio
gear, running wiring, grounding, and mobile antenna systems.

Of course not every club program can be like this, but be sure to plan a few
hands on programs through the year.  It's a great way to help your fellow
club members pick up a new skill.

Both TS-480 Handiham HF remote base internet stations are up and running:

W0EQO at Camp Courage North and W0ZSW in the Twin Cities East Metro.
Please visit the remote base website for more information on the status of
the stations, the W4MQ software downloads, and installation instructions.
The W0ZSW host computer was recently updated with several software updates.
The station is usually not down for more than a few minutes when this work
is done.  If it is down for an extended time, we will attempt to announce
the outage on the Remote Base website <https://handiham.org/remotebase/> .

We are working to bring a third remote system online somewhere in the USA
Eastern Time Zone.

Handiham office hours:

We are open Monday through Thursday this week.  Mornings are the best time
to contact us.

Our website will be available 24/7 as always, and if there is an emergency
notification or remote base outage, the website will be updated accordingly
no matter what day it is.

The two HF remote base stations are also available every day for your use.

Our schedule will vary around the Christmas and New Year's holidays.  Please
visit Handiham.org during the holiday season for updates and schedule
changes.  We will be closed on Christmas Eve, Wednesday, December 24 through
Sunday, December 28, reopening Monday December 29 through Wednesday December
31.  We will be closed on New Year's Day, January 1, 2015.  We reopen on
Monday, January 5.

Equipment Program:

If you have suggestions on how to make the equipment program work better,
email us a short paragraph.
<mailto:Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=Suggestion%20about%20Equipment%20Pro
gram>
(Please, no phone calls on this topic. I can sort and track the ideas by
email more easily.)

New audio:

New audio will be limited during the holidays due to our shortened schedule.
If you are a Handiham member and want a weekly reminder about our new audio,
let us know.

In case you missed it: Jim, KJ3P, has completed the QCWA Journal for
December.  Please find it in the new audio section of the Handiham member
website or on the QCWA website <http://qcwa.org/> .

Any Handiham or QCWA member who cannot find the link to this month's QCWA
Journal may email us for assistance and a direct link.

Also in the members section: Magazine Digest for December 2014 by Bob Zeida,
N1BLF - 25 MB DAISY zip file download.

Also in the members section by the end of this week: The January 2015 Doctor
is in column has been recorded by Ken Padgitt, W9MJY.

Thanks to our volunteer readers:

Bob, N1BLF

Jim, KJ3P

Ken, W9MJY

Radio Camp News:  We will once again be at the Woodland campus, Camp
Courage.

We have replaced the rotator on the tower at camp and plan to work DX with
the triband HF beam antenna.

Tentative dates are Tuesday, August 18 (arrival) through Monday, August 24
(departure),  We think this will allow campers who travel by air to get
cheaper tickets.  Please note that camp planning is in its early stages and
we have not set the exact timing yet.   Please let Nancy know if you wish to
receive a 2015 Radio Camp Application.
<mailto:Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=2015%20Radio%20Camp%20Application%2
0Request>

Cabin 2, site of our ham radio stations and classes.
Photo:  A Radio Camp cabin.

Year-End Appeal

Pat with NLS cartridge and mailer

Could I ask for just a moment of your time before I finish this recording
session?

I am so grateful for your support of Courage Kenny Rehabilitation
Institute's Handiham program. Your participation is vital to the delivery of
amateur radio services by and for people living with disabilities. I'd like
to ask for your help in 2014 with a donation to the Handiham fund this
December.   We have fewer than two weeks to make our goal.

Courage Kenny's Handiham program brings people together from around the
world to connect and share experiences through amateur radio. The Handiham
program provides a forum for people with disabilities to build confidence,
set goals, develop friendships and volunteer in service to others.   Your
support allows us to stay current in technologies that help our members,
including  blind-friendly software and online audio lecture production.
Your donation will help to expand DAISY (Digital Accessible Information
System) cartridge services for our members without computers and maintain
member-only benefits like 24/7 access to the Handiham Remote Base HF
Stations for those who cannot put up antennas of their own, as well as
assistance from staff about assistive technology.

From offering our accessible online licensing classes and tutorials, radio
camps and equipment assistance, to our high frequency (HF) remote base
stations, the Handiham program works hard to make the experience in amateur
radio the best it can be!  The Handiham program is one of Courage Kenny's
Community-Based Services, a resource for recreation, life-long learning, and
enduring friendships through ham radio.

For forty-seven years, our Handiham program has relied heavily on
philanthropic support to stay current and available to as many people as
possible. We need your help this holiday season to keep the program strong.
Will you consider a gift today?   The Handiham program would not be what it
is today without your support.

Thank you for considering a donation to the Handiham program this holiday
season.

Sincerely, Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham Program Coordinator

.         You can pay your Handiham dues and certain other program fees on
information and submit the payment.  It's easy and secure!

o    Handiham annual membership dues are $12.00.  The lifetime membership
rate is $120.00.
MEMBERSHIP DUES PAYMENT LINK
<https://pay.usbank.com/default.aspx?id=COURAGE_KENNY_HANDIHAMS>

o    If you want to donate to the Handiham Program, please use our donation
website.  The instructions are at the following link:

o    It is almost year-end, and we hope you will remember us in your 2014
giving plans.  The Courage Kenny Handiham program needs your help.  Our
small staff works with volunteers, members, and donors to share the fun of
Amateur Radio with people who have disabilities or sensory impairments.
We've been doing this work since 1967, steadily adapting to the times and
new technologies, but the mission is still one of getting people on the air
and helping them to be part of the ham radio community.
Confidence-building, lifelong learning, making friends - it's all part of
ham radio and the Handiham Program.
Begging cartoon doggie

o    This weekly letter and podcast was produced with Microsoft Expression
Web <http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179>  and the
open-source audio editor Audacity
<http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/> .

How to contact us

There are several ways to contact us.

Postal Mail:

Courage Kenny Handiham Program

E-Mail:  <mailto:Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx> Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx

Preferred telephone: 1-612-775-2291

Note: Mondays through Thursdays between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM United States
Central Time are the best times to contact us.

You may also call Handiham Program Coordinator Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, at:
612-775-2290.

FAX: 612-262-6718 Be sure to put "Handihams" in the FAX address! We look
forward to hearing from you soon.

<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx  for changes of
address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address and your new
address.