[handiham-world] Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 12 March 2014

  • From: Pat Tice <Pat.Tice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 19:46:39 +0000

[Logo for Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute, part of Allina Health]
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the
week of Wednesday, 12 March 2014

This is a free weekly news & information update from Courage Kenny Handiham
System<http://handiham.org>. Our contact information is at the end, or simply
email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for changes
in subscriptions or to comment. You can listen to this news online.

MP3 audio:
http://handiham.org/audio/handiham12MAR2014.mp3

Get this podcast in iTunes:
[Subscribe to our audio podcast in
iTunes]<http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406>

http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham<http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham>

________________________________
Welcome to Handiham World.
Thinking about ham radio computing

[Page from 1968 Allied catalog showing Minivac 601 computer, which cost $95
back then.]

We've come a long way in ham radio computing since this early "personal
electronic computer", the model Minivac 601, appeared in the 1968 Allied Radio
catalog. Amateur Radio has always been fertile ground for trying new stuff,
building things, and sometimes even pushing the envelope on technology in
general!

Since the ham shack computer is a well-accepted piece of "gear" these days, we
need to sit down and have a talk about what works.  I don't want to launch a
kerfuffle over operating systems.  Some of you will prefer Windows, some will
like Mac OS, and a few will snap their suspenders and stroke their beards while
proclaiming some version of Linux to be their choice.  I get that.  I've tried
all of them at one time or another.  But the fact of the matter is that what we
think we know about ham radio computing might be, well... wrong.

Let's start with Linux.  The days of suspender-snapping bearded guys toiling on
server farms as the only Linux users are behind us.  Raspberry
Pi<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi> computing is here and is opening
up new Linux possibilities in the mainstream "maker" community. Ham radio
"maker" enthusiasts are rolling up their sleeves and designing new hardware and
software to control amateur radio gear. Check out the Raspberry connect.com
list of packages.
<http://www.raspberryconnect.com/raspbian-packages-list/item/71-raspbian-hamradio>
 From rig control to logging to studying code, there are projects out there.
If you use Linux on a desktop machine, you might consider
Shackbox.net<http://shackbox.net/> as a source of over 150 applications for ham
radio. It's actually a Linux distribution, based on the popular Ubuntu as a
source of over 150 applications for ham radio. Best of all, there is a live CD,
which means you can try it out without installing anything.  The Shackbox
project is supported by donations.  One consideration in operating systems is
always whether there is an accommodation for blind users.   Linux distributions
are particularly good about this, and you can check out a long list of
screenreaders sorted by name and find out which operating systems they will
work in by going to
Wikipedia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screen_readers>. A
Linux-specific screenreader is the free and open-source SUSE-Blinux.

The go-to source for things Mac in ham radio is Mac Ham
Radio<http://machamradio.com/>.  Blind Mac users already know about the
built-in screenreader VoiceOver, so there is no need to elaborate on that.  The
real question is whether the Mac OS can hold its own in the ham shack.  Is
there enough ham radio software to make the cut?  The answer depends on what
you want to do.  There are rig control and digital software packages, as well
as some cross-platform programs like Chirp for setting up the memories in many
models of radios. It is still not clear to me whether the VoiceOver
screenreader can make programs like Chirp accessible.

Windows computers offer the most ham radio versatility, simply because most ham
radio software is written for Windows.  There is no real native screenreader
for Windows, which means that blind users are on their own when it comes to
accessibility. The built-in Narrator is enough to get started, but it will not
satisfy anyone who really needs a full-featured screenreader. If you check the
Wikipedia list of
screenreaders<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screen_readers>, you will
find that there are some free options.  The popular full-featured screenreader
Window-Eyes(tm) by G. W. Micro may be available to Windows users if they have
the right version of Microsoft
Office(tm)<http://www.gwmicro.com/News_&_Events/Latest_News/?newsNo=299>.

I like to give people advice about ham shack computing by first finding out
from them what their needs are.  Do they want to do simple things like logging
and callsign lookup?  Is rig control a priority?  Do they want to put their
station on their home computer network to control it from another location on
the property or even via the internet?  Do they only use a computer for setting
up memories in a handheld radio?

You might be surprised at how little thought some operators have put into this!
 Ham radio may even be an afterthought in their computer choices, which is how
they end up with a system that works great for web browsing, working at home,
email and social networking, or gaming... but not necessarily for ham radio.

I'm an advocate for a dedicated ham shack computer.  That way, you can just let
the kitchen computer be for YouTube and recipes.  There doesn't seem to be any
real argument against this, since computers - let's call them devices - are
cheaper than ever and easy to connect to a wireless network or home LAN.
Forget about "one size fits all", because it doesn't.  You can have ham radio
apps on various devices, the most popular one being Echolink, and still need a
dedicated shack PC for integrated rig control and logging.  The modest outlay
to get what really works for you will be well worth it, especially if you want
to be competitive in activities like contesting. For example, given the fact
that computer logging is the de facto standard in contesting, it pays to
research the available software and find out what other contesters recommend.

My choice for a shack computer is a Windows PC, hands-down.  It will run more
ham radio software than anything else, and I already know how to use Windows.
These are personal preferences, and I realize that it is probably a happy
accident for me that I moved into the DOS and later the Windows world early on.
 I'm not so sure I'd be as easily convinced had I began life in the Linux or
Mac worlds, but here's the thing: You need to figure out what you want to do
with the ham shack computer or device.  The worst thing to do is to get a
device and then start thinking about how you can figure out workarounds to make
it perform ham radio tasks as an afterthought.  Some amateur radio operators
have multiple ham shack computing devices, a strategy that allows for
customization that will make for efficient operation on specific tasks.
Remember, one of the premises we are going on is that computing is more
affordable now than at any time in history.  We no longer have to make the
family computer serve every function, because we can afford to set up
task-specific devices that are easily networked.

Now, let's head for the US Inflation
Calculator<http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/> because I want to illustrate
how true this is.  Remember that Allied Minivac 601 computer from 1968?  It was
exactly the kind of computer that an experimenter would want - and I'm sure it
attracted the attention of many ham radio operators back in the day.  Well, get
this:  Put the year 1968 and the $95 dollar price in the inflation calculator
and you find out that in today's dollars that simple home experimental computer
would cost a jaw-dropping $638.56!  For comparison, today a Raspberry Pi model
B can be found on Amazon for $39, and it is a virtual supercomputer compared to
the 1968 Minivac.

So stop fretting about making a device you use for general computing and web
browsing into a ham shack computer.  Sit down and think about what kind of
tasks you need to accomplish in the ham shack.  Make a list, then prioritize
the list, assigning each task a number.  Rig control, check.  Logging, check.
Callsign lookup, check.  Experimental ham radio projects, check. IRLP node,
check.  There's lot's to do in the typical ham shack, so you may need more than
one device or computer!

________________________________
Bulletins
HAMPod offers accessibility for ham radio:

  *   After we mentioned the Elecraft K3 last week, a reader reminded me about
the HAMPod device that gives voice to Elecraft radios and other popular
equipment like SteppIR(tm) antennas and HyGain rotor controllers. Check out
their website at Hampod.com<http://www.hampod.com/>.

Ready-made Go-Kits

  *   WA0CAF sent me the link to a company that offers ready-packed go-kits.
These kits are intended for sale to the general public, so they are not
specific to Amateur Radio public service use, but that's a good thing in a way,
because you can have one of these kits ready as a grab-and-go, while you also
have your radio communications go-kit.  I think it's a good idea to have the
radio kit as a separate bag because survival and living items are probably
going to be used at different times and locations than communications gear
during a real emergency deployment. If you are a minimalist, I guess you could
pack a handheld VHF/UHF transceiver, charger, spare battery, and instruction
cheat sheet in the ready-made go-kit, though.  The company that makes the
ready-made packs is GRABPAK<http://www.grabpak.com>(tm), and you can find them
at http://www.grabpak.com.
  *   Want information about what should be in your ham radio go-kit? Check out
the Lake County, IL RACES ARES(r) Group go-kit
website<http://www.races.org/gokit.htm>.

2014 Radio Camp (Saturday, August 16 through Saturday August 23, 2014)

*         Operating Skills participants will have a chance to try out the
Elecraft K3 transceiver!

*         The new Technician Pool will be in effect as of July 1, 2014.  If you
are studying for your first license, you may continue to use our on line
Technician audio lectures prior to the camp session, but you will want to
download a copy of the 2014-2018 Technician Question
Pool<http://ncvec.org/downloads/2014-2018%20Tech%20Pool.txt> for reference,
since that pool is the one from which the questions on your exam will be drawn.

*         We recommend the NC4FB website for a study guide to the 2014-2018
Technician Question Pool<http://www.nc4fb.org/wordpress/new-items/>.

*         The NCVEC website has a status page for the 2014-2018 Technician
Question Pool.<http://ncvec.org/page.php?id=362>

*         The 2014-2018 Technician Pool may be downloaded as a plain text
document.<http://ncvec.org/downloads/2014-2018%20Tech%20Pool.txt>

*         The Camp Courage 2 meter repeater will be on the air, and connected
to the *HANDIHAM* Echolink conference.

*         The Equipment Program will be at Radio Camp.  Campers will be able to
take home equipment, provided that the Equipment Program has it available.
Campers should let us know what they need to get on the air. Categories of
equipment that can be made available for you to take home from camp are:

o    VHF/UHF radios

o    HF radios

o    Accessories like speakers and tuners

o    Morse code accessories

o    Other accessories - Please let me know what you need.

*         Our study guide for 2014 Handiham Radio Camp Operating Skills will be
the ARRL Public Service Handbook First
Edition<http://www.arrl.org/shop/Amateur-Radio-Public-Service-Handbook>.  It is
available from your favorite ham radio dealer or directly from ARRL.  Blind
Handiham members should contact us for the DAISY version.  We will be happy to
place it on your NLS DAISY cartridge for you.

*         We will be operating HF and VHF from the camp pontoon boat on Cedar
Lake. Last camp we worked DX on 20 meters.  Can we do that again this year?

*         The outdoor shelter with picnic tables will be available for outside
operations every day during net time 11:00 AM CDT and between 1:00 and 3:00 PM
CDT.

QRZ.com reports that nGenLog is back as
FREEWARE<http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?428374-nGenLog-is-back-as-FREEWARE>!

  *   If you are a previous user, you may log in with your existing
credentials, and new users simply register an account.  Find it at the nGenLog
website.<http://www.ngenlog.com/>
  *   I did download and started my testing of nGenLog, but I'm not really
qualified to do screenreader testing.  I'd appreciate some help on this if
there are any screenreader users who are willing to try out a freeware logging
and rig control program.  It does support Logbook of the World imports and
exports, DX Cluster, rig control for many models of radios, QRZ and Hamcall
database integration, and even printing of your own QSL cards. I found the
registration and setup to be easy, but I couldn't find any help files. I
exported my logbook from the Ham Radio Deluxe log to my Microsoft SkyDrive and
then imported it easily into nGenLog.  I tried a contact on my IC-7200, and it
populated the screen with the frequency, date, and other relevant information.
Upon adding the call of the station I worked, it quickly added the station's
details from QRZ.com, where I am a registered member with access to this
feature. The IC-7200 was already connected to my computer via a USB cable since
I had previously used it with HRD.  My first impression is that it is a snappy
performer, loading and populating fields very quickly.  I hate waiting and
waiting for clunky software to do its thing, so a fast, efficient logging
program is a nice addition to my ham shack.

DXCC tool is a free on line service

*         Club Log is a free web-based tool for producing DXCC league tables,
expedition tools, log search services and most-wanted lists for ham radio.  You
can use it to search for expeditions, and it also has other DXing tools. Get a
free account at the secure Club Log
website.<https://secure.clublog.org/loginform.php>

*         As always, I appreciate reports from blind users on screenreader
accessibility.  At first glance, this website does look to be accessible.

Dip in the pool dives into the new Technician Class:

*         Today we are going to dip our toes into the new Tech pool.

T1A12 asks, "Which of the following is a permissible use of the Amateur Radio
Service?"

Possible answers are:

A. Broadcasting music and videos to friends
B. Providing a way for amateur radio operators to earn additional income by
using their stations to pass messages
C. Providing low-cost communications for start-up businesses
D. Allowing a person to conduct radio experiments and to communicate with other
licensed hams around the world

The correct answer is D: Allowing a person to conduct radio experiments and to
communicate with other licensed hams around the world.  I picked this question
because it is a new one that is not in the current Technician pool. Of course
the rules and regs have not changed as they relate to this long-time purpose of
the Amateur Radio Service, but I particularly like this question because it
emphasizes the experimental aspect of our hobby along with the communication
part.  Since 9/11 pushed everyone toward the public service communication part
of ham radio, I have felt that our innovation and experimentation with
software, new modes, and innovative hardware has not been given enough of our
time and attention.  I'm glad to see that this is changing and the "maker"
community in ham radio is growing!

Extra Class lecture series now available in DAISY format.

  *   Our biggest single audio project, the Extra Class lecture series, has
finally reached completion.  The entire series has been produced as a DAISY
book, available in a zip file download or on NLS digital cartridge.  A link is
on the new audio page referenced in each Friday's notification of new materials
in audio format.

CQ combines March & April 2014 issues

*         The latest issue of CQ, which is released today in digital format,
combines the March and April issues.  The reason is that the publisher is
getting the schedule back on track.  Regular subscriptions have been extended
for a month.  Details are on page 8 of the issue.  The DAISY digest edition
produced for blind Handiham members will accordingly be labeled "March-April"
when it is produced later this month.

________________________________
Practical Radio

[pliers and wire]

Hey, dude - Figure it out

How do you approach problems in the ham shack?  What happens when the handheld
radio you use every day gets out of its usual operating mode?  How do you
respond when you press the power button on the HF rig and you don't hear
anything out of the speaker?

I hope that you are not one of those operators who immediately sets the radio
down and starts phoning everyone on the ham radio club roster to find out who
will come over to reset the radio for you or figure out what is wrong with the
HF rig.  Of course there are times when we all need some help, but since
Amateur Radio is (after all) a technical hobby, we should be capable of doing
some problem-solving on our own.  What are the benefits of learning how to
problem-solve?  Here are just a few:

1.     You learn more about your equipment and about solving problems when you
actively work to figure things out for yourself.

2.     You can fix things right away instead of waiting days or weeks for
someone else to come over to your house to flip the right switch or reconnect
the coax.

3.     You will not inconvenience another club member over a minor problem that
you could have solved on your own.

4.     You will gain a reputation as a knowledgeable operator.

5.     In doing research on a problem, you will gain valuable experience and
learn about new resources that will help you in the future.  These can be on
line manuals, audio tutorials on various subjects, internet discussion boards,
and so on.

6.     You will not wear out your welcome, so to speak, which means that when
you do have a problem that you cannot solve you will have a greater chance of
getting help from another club member.

7.     You will feel great when you do solve a problem on your own!

Let's face it - we have all known people who just can't seem to fix anything
without help.  Most of the time it is because they have developed a bad habit
of never trying for themselves.  Instead, they call for someone else to fix it.
 But the problem is that some things can easily be fixed by the user, while
other things should be fixed by a professional, or at least a helper.  Knowing
which is which is a big part of being independent and able to control more of
the things in our lives.

One of the things that struck me as a young father years ago was how my 2 year
old son would insist, "I can do it myself", when he wanted to manage whatever
task he was engaged in.

The march toward self-sufficiency is built into us from an early age.  But it
can be "learned away" if the people around us never let us do anything for
ourselves.  This can end up leaving a person much more dependent on others -
often for a lifetime!  Wouldn't it be better to have those problem-solving
skills in place so that we can do more on our own?  Start today by trying to
figure out your minor ham radio problems on your own.  Use the on line
resources at your computer.  Read the owner's manual troubleshooting section.
Sure, you may not be able to figure it out, but at least you tried and have
probably collected more information about the problem so that you will be
better informed when you do call for help.

This is practical radio.  Learn basic problem-solving.

________________________________
Handiham Nets are on the air daily.

[headset]

Listen for Doug, N6NFF, tonight and try to answer the trivia question during
the first half hour.  Check in later just to get in the log and say hello.  The
trivia question answer is revealed shortly after the first half hour.

all of our net control stations!

We maintain our nets at 11:00 hours daily relative to Minnesota time.  Since
the nets remain true to Minnesota time, the difference between Minnesota
Daylight Saving time and GMT is -5 hours and the net is on the air at 16:00
hours GMT.

The two evening sessions are at 00:00 GMT Thursday and Friday.  Here in
Minnesota that translates to 7:00 PM Wednesday and Thursday.

The official and most current net news may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets

________________________________
This week @ HQ

[Cartoon robot with pencil]

Phone & email changes coming March through May

We will be making some changes this Spring in our email and phone systems.
Watch this newsletter and the Handiham website<https://handiham.org> for any
changes in our contact information.

Digests & Lectures

*         Reminder:  If you use the NLS cartridges, please return them to us by
the first week in the month so we can include your cartridge in the March
mailing.

In the Extra Class audio lecture series we have completed the course, finishing
up last week with safety. Everything is now on line and available either as a
Daisy download in zip file format or as individual MP3 files.  The zip file is
a half gig, so it is huge.  Please don't attempt it on a slow or flaky internet
connection!

Jim Perry, KJ3P, Bob Zeida, N1BLF, and Ken Padgitt, W9MJY do the volunteer
digest recording.  Thanks, guys!

March 2014 QST Digest in Daisy format is available.

CQ Magazine & CQ Plus February 2014 digests in DAISY format.  Log in and check
out the new CQ!

QCWA Digest for March 2014 is available in MP3.

In Operating Skills: Joe Bogwist, N3AIN, opens his Radio in the Dark series
with tutorials on how to use the new Kenwood TS-590S 160 - 6 m transceiver!

Secure, blind-friendly Handiham website login:
https://handiham.org/user#main-content

*         We ask that you please log in securely if you are using any kind of a
public network or unsecured wireless.

Remote Base News

Both stations are operational.

[W0EQO station in the server room at Courage North.]

[Kenwood TS-480HX transceiver with LDG autotuner]

Both Handiham Remote Base internet stations W0ZSW and W0EQO are on line for
your use 24/7.

  *   If you use Skype for audio, please connect and disconnect the Skype call
to the remote base manually.  The automatic calling and hang up is no longer
supported in Skype.
  *   200 watt operation is restored on 160, 80, and 40 meters for Extra and
Advanced Class users on W0ZSW.

*         Outages: Outages are reported on
http://handiham.org/remotebase/station-status/.

Operating tip:  Find out how to tell if the remote base station is already in
use if you are using JAWS:

  *   Listen to the tutorial:
http://www.handiham.org/audio/remotebase/W4MQ_status_JAWS.mp3
  *   Read the tutorial in accessible HTML:
http://handiham.org/remotebase/2013/03/05/check-station-status-with-jaws-13-or-14/

Digital Cartridges now Stocked at Handiham HQ:

Nancy now has the NLS 4GB digital cartridges and mailers available at our cost.
 She says:

We now have a supply of digital Talking Book cartridges and mailers available
for purchase for our Handiham members.  The total cost for a set is $15.50.  We
will download any digital study materials from the Members Only section of our
website onto your cartridge at no additional cost.  Minnesota residents please
add $1.13 MN Sales Tax.

[Pat holding up NLS digital cartridge and mailer]

Don't care to download Handiham materials via computer? The NLS digital
cartridge and mailer can bring you Handiham audio digests each month, plus we
have room to put the audio lecture series or equipment tutorials on them, too!

Want to log in?  Let's go:

Secure, blind-friendly Handiham website login:
https://handiham.org/user#main-content

If you have trouble logging in, please let us know.

  *   All Daisy materials are in zip file format, so you simply download the
zip file you need and unzip it so the Daisy book folder can be accessed or
moved to your NLS or other Daisy player.
  *   Tip: When in the Daisy directory, it is easy to find the latest books by
sorting the files by date. Be sure the latest date is at the top. The link to
sort is called "Last Modified".
  *   You can also find what is on a web page by using CONTROL-F.  This brings
up a search box and you can type a key word in, such as "September".  You may
find more than one September, including 2012, but you will eventually come
across what we have posted for September 2013.

Digital mailers are important: If you do mail a digital cartridge to us, please
be sure that it is an approved free matter mailer. Otherwise it will quickly
cost us several dollars to package and mail out, which is more than the cost of
the mailer in the first place. We don't have a stock of cartridges or mailers
and not including a mailer will result in a long delay getting your request
back out to you.

DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your call sign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc.<http://www.aph.org>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge, 4GB, Blank; Catalog Number: 1-02609-00, Price
$13.00

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Mailer Catalog Number: 1-02611-00, Price: $2.50

Order Toll-Free: (800) 223-1839.

The Library of Congress NLS has a list of vendors for the digital cartridges:

Get it all on line as an alternative:  Visit the DAISY section on the Handiham
website after logging in.

________________________________
Stay in touch

[Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone number changes, or email
address changes so that we can continue to stay in touch with you. You may
either email Nancy at
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or call her at
763-520-0512.  If you need to use the toll-free number, call 1-866-426-3442.

Handiham Program Coordinator Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, may be reached at
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or by phone at

The Courage Kenny Handiham Program depends on the support of people like you,
who want to share the fun and friendship of ham radio with others. Please help
us provide services to people with disabilities.

format<http://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>
Email us to subscribe:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Courage Kenny Handiham Program<http://handiham.org>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

contact Handihams for help joining the ARRL. We will be happy to help you fill
out the paperwork!

[ARRL diamond-shaped logo]

The weekly e-letter is a compilation of software tips, operating information,
and Handiham news. It is published on Wednesdays, and is available to everyone
free of charge. Please email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  for changes of
address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address and your new address.

Return to Handiham.org<http://handiham.org>