[handiham-world] Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 11 February 2015

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:18:19 -0600

Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the
week of Wednesday, 11 February 2015

This is a free weekly news & information update from the  <http://handiham.org>
Courage Kenny Handiham System, serving people with disabilities in Amateur
Radio since 1967.

Our contact information is at the end.

Listen here:
https://handiham.org/audio/handiham11FEB2015.mp3

Get this podcast in iTunes:
 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Subscribe to our audio podcast in
iTunes

In this edition:

·         Ice Station W0JH Special Event begins this week!

·         Safer Internet Day.

·         This week's question!

·         Check into our daily nets.

·         Take a dip in the pool.

·         A wire antenna that fits your needs AND your yard.

·         QST antenna issue is out.

·         The Remote Base HF report and a handy operating tip.

·         ...And more!

Red Ice Station W0JH tent in snow-covered frozen lake.

Time to get on the air!  Make your plans to contact W0JH on President's Day
weekend.  It's like a polar vortex without YOU having to step outside.

Members from the Stillwater, Minnesota Amateur Radio Association (SARA)
<http://www.radioham.org/>  will set up and operate a portable station on a
frozen lake from inside a portable ice fishing tent-type shelter.  Notice the
deep snow and the path that had to be dug through from the lake shore to the
operating position in last year's photo, which we have included to give you an
idea how the setup looks!  A portable propane heater will keep operators warm.
Rig power will be provided from sealed lead-acid storage batteries. A
center-fed Zepp antenna system (130 foot long antenna, 35 feet high, 50 feet of
450 ohm ladder line, and a 4:1 current balun) will be used for all contacts.
The Courage Kenny Handiham Program <https://handiham.org>  and Radio City
<http://www.radioinc.com>  assist the event by helping with radio gear and
accessories.

The reason we support events like this is to promote the one thing that keeps
Amateur Radio healthy:  Getting on the air.  There is nothing like actually
using your station equipment to make contacts.  It is where the rubber meets
the road, so to speak, because you are putting your own radio on the air and
putting your own skills to the test.  A special event offers the challenge of
making a contact with the event station and getting a certificate.  If you are
new to Amateur Radio, this kind of event contact can be a nice way to get used
to an environment a little bit like DXing, but with less competition and a more
relaxed format - depending on the event, of course!

The Ice Station W0JH event is an annual one, usually happening right around
President's Day weekend.  In Minnesota, that pretty much guarantees the "ice"
part of the event.  Last year we had lots of snow and that made setting up on
the frozen lake more difficult for the station crew because there was a lot of
snow to clear at set up time.  This year we have had less than our average
snowfall, so set up will hopefully be a bit easier.  In an event like this you
never know what the weather will bring.  Extreme cold and wind would probably
be much worse than more snow.  On the other hand, if you really, really want to
get away from all kinds of RFI-generating household gadgets and noisy power
lines, there is nothing quite like setting up your HF gear in an isolated
location.  All that effort to pack the station and antennas along with the tent
and antenna supports pays off with nice quiet bands - that will hopefully be
"open" for good skywave propagation.   There's not a lot we can do about solar
weather, after all.

Want to work Ice Station W0JH?  I know I do, and I'd like you to as well, so
here are the details:

Operating Schedule, Frequencies & Mode

Saturday, 2/14: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm (Central Standard Time)
Sunday, 2/15: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Monday, 2/16: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

Frequencies: 3.860, 7.260, 14.260, 21.360, 28.360 MHz (Tune +/– 20 KHz if QRM)
SSB is standard mode

Minnesota County: Washington
Grid Square: EN35og
Latitude: 45°16’01.7″ N
Longitude: 92°48’47.5″ W

W0JH QSL Info:

·         IMPORTANT: QSLs will ONLY be sent via e-mail!

·         Send e-mail request to: IceStationW0JH2015@xxxxxxxxxxxx

·         Send required (standard) QSL info: Callsign, Date, Time (UTC),
Band/Frequency, Mode, Report (RST)

Support the W0JH crew out on the ice by making contact with them and proving
that Handiham members are on the air!

Safer Internet Day!

Drawing of a computer

Yesterday, February 10, 2015, was "Safer Internet Day
<http://www.saferinternet.org/safer-internet-day> ", which I learned about
because it was promoted on Google's main page.  The idea is to promote safe
internet usage, especially among young people.  While I wouldn't exactly
qualify as a young person, it did remind me that all of us need to practice
safe computing in so many ways:  Keeping backups of important files, avoiding
bad practices like opening email attachments that arrive unexpectedly, and
using the same passwords for everything.  Passwords are a challenge for many
users, and as a result people often pick unsecure ones simply because they are
easy to remember.  If you have children or provide "tech support" for elderly
parents, you have an opportunity to help them practice safe computing and learn
best practices for using the internet.

With Amateur Radio and the Internet so closely joined together in today's
modern ham shack, we can't afford to ignore safety basics.  Sure, you probably
have a cloud service storing your precious family photos because you sure
wouldn't want to lose them in a hard drive crash, right?  Well, what about your
log files - the logbook entries you produce as you are operating your station
and collecting contacts for DXCC or WAS?  It would be a shame to lose those
files and have to start over again.  If you have set up a rig control
application, it will have all kinds of personal customized settings.  These are
also something to back up should the worst happen, because they can take a long
time to build up again from scratch.

Modern web browsers are more secure than ever.  If you are using an old version
of Internet Explorer or some other browser, run, don't walk, to the browser's
update pages and ditch the old version for the latest one that will work on
your device.  Another perk of having an up to date web browser is that it is
capable of saving your bookmarks.  I have a "Ham" folder in my bookmarks on all
my browsers.  Modern browsers allow you to sync bookmarks for the same browser
no matter which device you use, so if I keep my ham radio links bookmarked and
synced they can always be found again, even if my main computer is destroyed.

Speaking of internet security, let's take a look at...

This week's question:

·         If you have a smartphone, you likely have the Echolink app on it.
How would you assure that an unlicensed person who picks up your phone could
not start Echolink and start transmitting?

Think you have an answer?
<mailto:Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=Securing%20Echolink%20on%20a%20smartphone>
   Email me and let me know.  Also tell me if it's okay to mention your
callsign in the e-letter and podcast.

  _____

Answer to last week's question

Last week's question was posed by Avery, K0HLA:  "Why is it that commercial FCC
licenses are good for life but Amateur Radio licenses are renewed every 10
years?  I would think Ham licenses would be good for life also.   73 es DX de
K0HLA Avery."

·         At least one reader wrote and suggested that there is a difference
between a station license and an operator's license.  For example, commercial
broadcast stations do renew their licenses, as do business stations.
Operators, on the other hand, might be holders of commercial FCC licenses like
the "General Radiotelephone Operator License".  This is a license earned by
passing an FCC commercial examination to determine proficiencies such as might
be called for in using and maintaining commercial radio equipment and broadcast
station transmitters. This license is not to be confused with the Amateur Radio
General Class License.  The FCC has seen fit to allow the operator's license to
be good for life, while station licenses must be renewed.

·         Now, back to the Amateur Radio License.  It combines both an
operator's license and a station license into one document.  It's because of
the station license part that renewals are required at ten year intervals.
Since the operator and station parts cannot be separated, the single license
needs to be renewed.  (At least that's our best guess!)

  _____

Check into our Handiham nets... Everyone is welcome!

Our daily Echolink net continues to operate for anyone and everyone who wishes
to participate at 11:00 hours CST (Noon Eastern and 09:00 Pacific), as well as
Wednesday and Thursday evenings at 19:00 hours CST (7 PM).  Doug, N6NFF, poses
a trivia question in the first half of the Wednesday evening session, so check
in early if you want to take a guess.   The answer to the trivia question is
generally given shortly after the half-hour mark.  A big THANK YOU to all of
our net control stations and to our Handiham Club Net Manager, Michael, VE6UE,
who takes the Thursday evening Technical Net session.

  _____

Does my wire antenna need to be installed running a certain direction, say NE
to SW?

I know it's the middle of winter and you probably aren't stringing up wire
antennas for at least two months yet, but if you are studying for General Class
and are thinking ahead for HF operation on some new bands, this question might
be in the back of your mind.  After all, in your studies you have learned that
half-wave dipole antennas radiate (and receive) their strongest signals
broadside to the antenna.  If you were intent on working 40 meter stations to
the east and west of your location, you would then want to mount your dipole
antenna with the wire running north-south, making the antenna favor stations to
the east and west.

Alas, the trees in your back yard are not in the right places.  And besides,
your lot would not be wide enough to accommodate the 40 meter dipole running
north-south anyway.  Does this mean that you are out of luck and won't be able
to install that 40 meter dipole?

The inverted vee antenna system at WA0TDA QTH

Not at all!  In fact, you might even be better off with an inverted vee dipole
than with a traditional flat-top.  With this antenna, you put up a single
center support pole to hold up the coaxial feedline and a center insulator.
The two legs of your dipole run from either side of the center insulator down
at an angle to a couple of shorter supports that you can locate wherever they
conveniently fit in the yard.  They can even come close to the ground as long
as they are out of the way and not a tripping hazard for people who might be in
the yard. The end insulators should be clear of grass or other vegetation.
Since the inverted vee takes up less space by forming two sides of a triangle,
it can be easier to fit the 40 meter dipole into your yard, even if it isn't
quite wide enough for a regular flat top dipole.  A lightweight but strong
fiberglass pole can form the center support, and if you install a second
inverted vee for another band, say 20 meters, in parallel with the 40 meter
antenna you can run the second antenna's legs out at 90 degrees in the other
directions to form a system of built-in guy wires that will hold the support
pole firmly in place.  It's like two antennas for the price of one!  Better
yet, you only need one feedline, and because the 40 meter antenna will be
resonant on 15 meters, you can work at least three bands with this beauty!

·         But what about those stations you want to work to the east and to the
west?  What if you can't run the vee broadside to them?  Will the antenna still
be effective?

For the answer to that question, we turn to the ARRL Antenna book.  It tells us
that setting up a half wave dipole in inverted vee configuration affects its
properties in the following ways:

1.   There is a small loss in peak gain.

2.   The radiation pattern is less directional.

3.   The resonant frequency decreases, and...

4.   The feedpoint impedance decreases.

This isn't a bad thing.  For one thing, modern transceivers prefer a 50 ohm
feedline instead of a 75 ohm line.  A flat-top dipole - the traditional design
- is typically a better match to 75 ohm coax than the 50 ohm coax that matches
the radio.  Putting the dipole into inverted vee configuration lowers the
antenna's feedpoint impedance for a better match to the preferred 50 ohm
coaxial cable.  The inverted vee is also less directional.  That can increase
your odds of working stations in other compass directions rather than just
broadside to the dipole.  A final bonus for those with limited space is that
the inverted vee dipole radiator is somewhat shorter, which helps fit the
antenna in even better!

I've included a photo that I took last summer showing my own inverted vee
system in my large back yard.  Because I have enough room, mine includes an 80
meter dipole.  Other antennas run off in different directions for multiple band
operation, all on the same center insulator.  The center support is a
telescoping fiberglass pole.  The feedline is 50 ohm hard line running
underground and then mating with a lightning arrestor at the base of the pole
and continuing up inside the pole as RG-213 cable to the center insulator.  It
tunes easily on 160 through 6 meters with a bit of impedance stretching help
from an LDG AT-200PRO automatic antenna tuner.

Throughout my ham radio career, which began in 1967, I have used these inverted
vee antenna systems, sometimes as permanent antennas at my home station and
other times at Field Day.  They have proven durable and reliable, even in
Minnesota winters.  If you are new to HF operation, why not consider an
inverted vee antenna?  It may very well fit your HF operating needs - and fit
into your back yard!

circuit board

It's time to take a dip in the pool - the NCVEC Amateur Radio Question Pool,
not the swimming pool.  Looking forward to the new 2015 General Pool that comes
into effect on July 1, we sample the following new question.  Let's see if you
can get the answer!

G9A15 asks, "What is the effect of transmission line loss on SWR measured at
the input to the line?"

A. The higher the transmission line loss, the more the SWR will read
artificially low
B. The higher the transmission line loss, the more the SWR will read
artificially high
C. The higher the transmission line loss, the more accurate the SWR measurement
will be
D. Transmission line loss does not affect the SWR measurement

What do you think?  Does transmission line loss even have anything to do with
the SWR reading?

You bet it does!  In fact, answer A, The higher the transmission line loss, the
more the SWR will read artificially low, is the correct one.  Loss in the
antenna can do the same thing.  Obviously "loss" means that some of your signal
is not being radiated and instead is being turned into useless heat due to some
inefficiency in the system.  While you may think that loss is always a bad
thing, it might not be worth worrying about.  It just depends on how much loss
we are talking about.  Every antenna system has some loss.  The best indicator
is probably how well the antenna works in real world use, day in and day out.
If your antenna consistently sounds kind of dead and you have difficulty making
contacts and get poor signal reports, there is definitely a problem, even if
your SWR is 1 to 1.  On the other hand, if the SWR on your antenna system is 3
to 1 on the CW end of a band like 80 meters and you can tune the antenna to 1
to 1 with an antenna tuner, some loss will still be present but your
transmitter will be happy with the good match and the antenna will actually
work quite well.  Remember that SWR is only one measurement of your antenna
system.  There are other principles of good design to consider to reduce loss,
including choice of feedline, matching, and the antenna itself.

  _____

March 2015 QST is out!

QST's annual antenna issue is released today in digital format.  That means the
print edition will show up in a day or two in my mailbox if everything goes as
usual.  One article that caught my attention right away is one by Andrew
Woodfield, ZL2PD.  It's called "A Talking Frequency Counter" and details how to
build the circuit, which is small enough to fit into a container the size of an
Altoids tin.  The circuit uses an Atmel ATtiny85 microcontroller.  It speaks RF
frequencies in plain English.  You will find the article on page 30 of the
March 2015 QST.

Since this is the antenna issue, there are plenty of antenna-related articles.
I especially liked the W1ZR article, "Easy Two-Band Ground Plane for Other Band
Combinations" on page 41.  For those in restricted living situations like
condos, "An Off Center End Fed Dipole for Portable Operation on 40 to 6 Meters"
by KE4PT on page 44 might be just the ticket. It's a creative design using a 20
foot fiberglass tent pole and a wire loosely drooped along the pole.  It's for
temporary use, and is light enough to take on trips.  The "Doctor is In" column
by QST regular W1ZR features a "sleeve dipole".  You'll find the good doctor on
page 64.

There's a lot more, too.  One other thing is really like about the annual
antenna issue is that when it shows up, it means that Spring - and antenna
season - is not far behind.

  _____

Both TS-480 Handiham HF remote base internet stations are up and running.

Close up of TS-480HX keypad

One outage occurred in the past week. Station W0ZSW went offline due to a cable
internet network outage on Monday, February 9.  An IP address reassignment
delayed our response a short time.  Everything is now back in order.  Our two
stations are W0EQO at Camp Courage North and W0ZSW in the Twin Cities East
Metro.   Please visit the remote base website for more information on the
status of the stations, the W4MQ software downloads, and installation
instructions.  Details at Remote Base website
<https://handiham.org/remotebase/> .

Operating tip:  If you get a "checking status" message when opening the W4MQ
software, it could mean that the station you have selected, either W0ZSW or
W0EQO, is off line.  Let's determine what is going on.  Suppose you get the
"checking status" message with W0ZSW selected.  The first thing to do is to
change the selection to W0EQO to see if that station is working.  If it is
working, you can go ahead and use it since W0ZSW is off line.  However, if
W0ZSW and W0EQO both show "checking status" messages, there are TWO
possibilities:

1.   Both stations are off line at once, which is unlikely since they are
located hundreds of miles apart and share no common infrastructure.

2.   Your own internet connection is down or there is some reason your computer
running the client software is not connecting to the internet.  This is the
more likely place to look for a problem.  Open a website and make sure that you
are connected to the internet.  Sometimes Windows Update may cause this to
happen.  Install the updates and reboot.  Everything should now work fine.

We are working to bring a third remote system online somewhere in the USA
Eastern Time Zone.  Contact me if you are interested in hosting a Handiham
Remote Base station.
<mailto:Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=Remote%20Base%20Hosting>

We are also looking for a new home for station W0ZSW here in the Twin Cities.
The ideal candidate would be a local radio club with room for antennas, and a
cadre of volunteers to help with the station.

  _____

Handiham office hours:

We return to our usual Monday through Thursday schedule this week.  Mornings
are the best time to contact us. Please visit Handiham.org for updates and
schedule changes.  Our website will be available 24/7 as always, and if there
is an emergency notification or remote base outage, the website will be updated
accordingly no matter what day it is.  We are always closed Friday through
Sunday.

The two HF remote base stations are also available every day for your use.

  _____

Department of possibly useful stuff:

·         AES Milwaukee Superfest 2015 will be Saturday, March 21, 2015 from
9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. <http://www.aesham.com/aes-superfest>   The Handiham
Program plans to be there!  The location is Amateur Electronic Supply - 5710 W
Good Hope Rd - Milwaukee, WI 53223.

·         Coming up on February 14:  Get on the air for the
Handiham-cosponsored <http://www.radioham.org/news/ice-house-special-event/>
Ice Station on the air event.

·         Avery, K0HLA, commented on the "paperless" Amateur Radio license
story:  "A license hard copy might be of help if doing emergency work. Showing
firefighters or police might get you into locations to help that you may not be
able to otherwise. I know that was the case when I helped when the river
flooded in Carver county. I was checked a couple of times. Having call letter
license plates on my car helped also."

  _____

New audio:

If you are a Handiham member and want a weekly reminder about our new audio,
let us know.  Watch for new audio Thursday afternoons.

Bob Zeida, N1BLF, has completed the February magazine audio digest for our
blind members.  Also in the members section: The February 2015 Doctor is in
column has been recorded by Ken Padgitt, W9MJY.

New this week are QCWA Journal for February <http://www.qcwa.org> , and CQ
Magazine for November and December, recorded by Jim, KJ3P.

Jim has also recorded the DXer's Handbook Second Edition by Bryce, K7UA, for
our blind members.

In the Technician Lecture Series, we most recently posted a review section.

 <https://handiham.org/daisy/open/General_Pool_2015-19_DAISY_Beta.zip> The new
2015 through 2019 General Class Pool, machine-recorded in DAISY by the Handiham
Program; Beta 1 version in downloadable zip file format.

Thanks to our volunteer readers:

Bob, N1BLF

Jim, KJ3P

Ken, W9MJY

  _____

Radio Camp News:  We will once again be at the Woodland campus, Camp Courage.

Cabin 2, site of our ham radio stations and classes.
Photo:  A Woodland Cabin with screen porch, fireplace, kitchen, laundry, and
comfortable great room.

Plan to work DX with the triband HF beam antenna.  In addition, we will be
installing several wire antennas fed with 450 ohm ladder line for
high-efficiency operation on multiple bands.  We will be able to check in to
the popular PICONET HF net on 3.925 MHz. Radios you can try at camp include the
remote base stations running the Kenwood TS-480, and get your hands on a
Kenwood TS-590S or TS-2000, both of which will be set up to operate.  If you
have a special request for gear you would like to check out at camp, please let
us know.

Other activities at camp:

·         Campers needing radio equipment or accessories to take home and
complete their stations should let us know what they need.  Equipment will be
distributed at camp.

·         We will have a Handiham Radio Club meeting that will include election
of club officers and planning for the upcoming year.

·         The Icom IC-718 will once again be pressed into service on the camp
pontoon boat for HF operation from Cedar Lake.  All aboard!  QRMers will walk
the plank if caught.

·         We'll have time for several operating skills discussions and an
EMCOMM exercise.

·         Anyone interested in a hidden transmitter hunt on VHF?

If you want to get a first license or study for an upgrade, let us know.

 <http://truefriends.org/camp/> Camp dates are now published in the True
Friends Camp Catalog.  They are Tuesday, August 18 (arrival) through Monday,
August 24 (departure),

Please let Nancy know if you wish to receive a 2015 Radio Camp Application.
<mailto:Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=2015%20Radio%20Camp%20Application%20Request>

  _____

Membership

·         You can pay your Handiham dues and certain other program fees on
information and submit the payment.  It's easy and secure!

o    Handiham annual membership dues are $12.00.  The lifetime membership rate
is $120.00.
MEMBERSHIP DUES PAYMENT LINK
<https://pay.usbank.com/default.aspx?id=COURAGE_KENNY_HANDIHAMS>

o    If you want to donate to the Handiham Program, please use our donation
website.  The instructions are at the following link:

o    We hope you will remember us in your 2015 giving plans.  The Courage Kenny
Handiham program needs your help.  Our small staff works with volunteers,
members, and donors to share the fun of Amateur Radio with people who have
disabilities or sensory impairments.  We've been doing this work since 1967,
steadily adapting to the times and new technologies, but the mission is still
one of getting people on the air and helping them to be part of the ham radio
community.  Confidence-building, lifelong learning, making friends - it's all
part of ham radio and the Handiham Program.
Begging cartoon doggie

o    The weekly audio podcast  <https://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3> was
produced with the open-source audio editor Audacity
<http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/> .

How to contact us

There are several ways to contact us.

Postal Mail:

Courage Kenny Handiham Program

E-Mail:  <mailto:Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx> Nancy.Meydell@xxxxxxxxxx

Preferred telephone: 1-612-775-2291

Note: Mondays through Thursdays between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM United States
Central Time are the best times to contact us.

You may also call Handiham Program Coordinator Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, at:
612-775-2290.

FAX: 612-262-6718 Be sure to put "Handihams" in the FAX address! We look
forward to hearing from you soon.

contact Handihams for help joining the ARRL. We will be happy to help you fill
out the paperwork!

ARRL diamond-shaped logo

The weekly e-letter is a compilation of software tips, operating information,
and Handiham news. It is published on Wednesdays, and is available to everyone
free of charge. Please email Patrick.Tice@xxxxxxxxxx  for changes of address,
unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address and your new address.