[handiham-world] Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 02 April 2014

  • From: Pat Tice <Pat.Tice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 20:05:28 +0000

[Logo for Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute, part of Allina Health]
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the
week of Wednesday, 02 April 2014

This is a free weekly news & information update from Courage Kenny Handiham
System<http://handiham.org>. Our contact information is at the end, or simply
email handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for changes
in subscriptions or to comment. You can listen to this news online.

MP3 audio:
http://handiham.org/audio/handiham02APR2014.mp3

Get this podcast in iTunes:
[Subscribe to our audio podcast in
iTunes]<http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406>

http://feeds.feedBurner.com/handiham<http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham>

________________________________
Welcome to Handiham World.
The frustration of DAISY production
[Pat holding NLS digital cartridge]
The DAISY digital cartridges and mailers are a huge step forward in reading
technology for our blind Handiham members.  I'm smiling in this photo with the
digital cartridge, but that's only because I'm not trying to create a DAISY
book at the moment.

Okay, I'll admit it.  Sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed by technology.  It
happens in ham radio, as those of us who have tried to program several of the
new crop of Chinese handheld radios can certainly testify.

"So complicated it would make a nun swear", opined one commenter on eHam when
describing the HT's programming procedure.

Well, Amateur Radio is supposed to be a technical endeavor, so we had best be
prepared to encounter new technologies and to make ourselves comfortable with
change.  The new normal is that things change more quickly, and often more
radically than they did in the past.  In the past few years we have made the
trip from cassette audio tapes to digital DAISY audio to provide our members
with easier to access audio that is compliant with world standards.
DAISY<http://www.daisy.org> can be delivered via NLS cartridges in Free Matter
mailers or by digital download from an internet server.  We provide both
services, but the path from inception to final execution has been a bumpy one.

Here's the thing:  I'm the kind of person who will actually read an instruction
manual because I like to have my best shot at making something work when I try
to use it.  Like most of us, I'll take a middle path between studying the
manual and just saying to heck with it and trying to figure it out by the trial
and error method.  While I certainly had many years to figure out how to
produce audio books on cassette tape, the pace of change (Remember that?) has
compressed our learning times and even our production schedules.

Here's my dilemma: There's a lot to learn about digital audio book production,
and with all of the hats I have to wear, I have to take a "just get it done"
approach a lot more often than I'd like to.  I'd appreciate a more
comprehensive cookbook on how to produce DAISY books, but I've run into another
problem of the rapidly changing technology scene, and that is the lack of up to
date and consistent support documentation.  All too often, hardware and
software development are not marching in the same parade, and the documentation
is still back at the starting line trying to figure out when the parade even
begins.

So when using software DAISY production tools like
Obi<http://www.daisy.org/project/obi>, I'm sometimes confused by updates to the
interface or functions that are only documented in a change list.  And I might
not even know enough about the change to realize what it means!  None of that
is the fault of the software developers - they develop, and it is usually the
job of someone else to document and teach. Obi is a fantastic tool - and it's
getting better and better.  The issue is that I feel as if I'm flying by the
seat of my pants at times, and when you are really, really busy because there
are lots of other aspects to your job, you can feel... frustrated.

Let's take a look at how a DAISY book is produced in our system.  Remember that
DAISY production is not a single process.  There are different ways to automate
production, including text to speech from documents produced on WORD or Open
Office, import from a folder containing spoken word audio files in a format
like MP3, and a tedious process of recording spoken word audio directly into a
DAISY production tool to match it with text.  Given the complexity of what
DAISY can be, automated tools like Obi are essential.

We begin with spoken word audio produced either by me or by our volunteers.
Most of us record on a computer with the free open-source audio tool
Audacity<http://audacity.sourceforge.net/>.  Learning this can be quite a
journey in itself, as those of you who record and process audio already know.
Audacity itself has evolved over the years and has gotten to be quite a good
tool with many automated features that can save editing time while producing
very good results.

The finished audio is then delivered to Handihams for processing into DAISY.
There are a couple of ways it can be done, but the easiest is via a cloud
service like Dropbox.  The volunteer places the files in a designated shared
cloud folder and notifies me by email that they are ready.  When I read the
email, I transfer the files to my computer's hard drive, creating a folder
specifically for that batch of files.  Our volunteers have helpfully given each
file a name describing what it contains, such as "01-Introduction" or
"02-Front_Panel".

Now it is time to fire up my preferred production tool, Obi.  This excellent
tool is available free from the DAISY Consortium, and it is usable (mind the
learning curve) by sighted and blind users alike.  It took me a while to figure
out that one doesn't have to manually import each audio file separately for
every section of a book.  Obi will do that automatically, but you have to dig
into the settings to avoid some surprises, like the names of the files being
truncated, which in turn leads to a confusing menu structure in your finished
book.

Why is there a setting to allow for truncated file names?  I found that out
when trying to save to DAISY after doing the first part of the production, and
that is that there is a limit to the length of the path to the filename.  Why
is that?  It's crazy, but you can't have a fully-descriptive folder name along
with a fully-descriptive file name for the book itself.  These are the sort of
things that drive me nuts when I'm trying to get things done and out the door,
all the while staying on top of all my other jobs.

So naturally with a file and folder naming problem, things get disorganized and
I lose track of what I have and where it is.  Add to that the production choice
of DAISY 3.0 or DAISY 2.02 or both, and it gets even more confusing.  Even
after considerable research, I still don't know if DAISY 3.0 is compliant with
some, none, or all common DAISY players, including the NLS player.  Since I
don't own a hardware DAISY player myself, all of my testing - when I actually
have time to do any testing - is done with AMIS on a Windows 8.1 computer.  The
safest choice seems to be to use DAISY 2.02 for now.

Perhaps it is my age, perhaps it is the file naming confusion, or maybe it's
just that I have so much on my plate that stuff falls off on the floor for
Jasper to scoop up, (Woof, woof), but I find that I have to regroup and
reorganize my files just to keep on top of what I have!  Staying organized is
essential, but it is challenging when tasks are so different and cannot be
managed as neatly and tidily and one would want.  It's pretty difficult for me
to change gears mentally from DAISY book production to a phone call from
someone with a question about antennas, but that's what happens.  The resulting
disruption can take its toll on the DAISY production task, resulting in
mistakes at worst and extra time to get back into the groove at best.

Once production and file naming are completed, a compressed (zip file) version
is produced if the book is to be offered as a web download.  This is done
because it is easier for users to manage the download of a single compressed
file than an entire directory of individual files.   When applicable, the zip
file is uploaded to our server via secure FTP, and our website pages are
modified to reflect the availability of the new book.

Meanwhile, back at the DAISY ranch, I still have to have a way to get the books
out to our members who use NLS cartridges.  Our secretary, Nancy, maintains a
database of NLS cartridge users and what they want on their cartridges.  This
enables me to look at the database and know what needs to be placed on the
cartridge for each user.  Some will want study materials, others will want
equipment manuals, and most will want the monthly publications digest.  I
remove the cartridge from their mailer, check the name on the mailer card and
cartridge, then plug the cartridge into a USB adapter cable.  This brings up a
folder view of the cartridge's contents, so I can determine what was on it last
time and compare it to what will now be sent out in the current month.  I've
hopefully chosen file names and formats that will agree with the user's player,
and then I copy the correct files from my computer to each user's NLS
cartridge, place each cartridge in its correct mailer, and mail out batches of
Free Matter mailers.

These DAISY books are far, far better than cassettes ever were, but a job that
was once accomplished by other staff and volunteers - audio copying and
distribution - is now done by  just one guy - me.  Our recording volunteers do
great work, but there is only so much I have time to do on this end.  That's
why I depend on our users to alert me when something isn't working, and I'll be
darned if I couldn't use a bit more help figuring out this whole DAISY thing.
I know everyone is really busy - that's the way it is these days - but if you
know something about DAISY production and could lend a hand or do some testing,
even just occasionally, I'd sure appreciate it.

________________________________
Bulletins

[Code Key]

Visit the Handiham booth at 2014 AES Superfest this coming Saturday!

Visit the Handiham booth and say hi to John, N0BFJ, at 2014 AES
Superfest<http://www.aesham.com/aes-superfest-2014> on April 5th, 2014 from 9
a.m. to 3 p.m.  The Superfest Grand Prize is a Kenwood TS-590S - Wouldn't that
look good on your operating desk?

Location:

AES Milwaukee
5710 W Good Hope Rd
Milwaukee, WI 53223

Confirmed Exhibitors:

Alinco
Ameritron
ARRL
Cable X-Perts
Cushcraft
Hy-gain
Icom
Kenwood
Larsen Antennas
MFJ
Mirage
Radiowavz
Timewave
Unified Microsystems
Vectronics
West Mountain Radio
Yaesu

Forums:

9:30 - WI ARES / Races - Skip Sharpe, W9REL
10:30 - History of the Milwaukee Radio Amateurs' Club - 96 years and counting!
- Dave Defebo, WB9BWP
12:30 - Fox Hunting - Paul Gruettner, WB9ODQ
2:30 - Drawing of Grand Prize - Kenwood TS590S*

Milwaukee is now home to Icom's D-Star System and Yaesu's Fusion System. The
Milwaukee Area Digital Operator's Group will be demonstrating both systems in
their booth this year.

*Prizes: You must be present to enter the prize drawings. You need not be
present for the grand prize drawing.

2014 Radio Camp (Saturday, August 16 through Saturday August 23, 2014)

The Equipment Program will be at Radio Camp.  Campers will be able to take home
equipment, provided that the Equipment Program has it available.  Campers
should let us know what they need to get on the air. Categories of equipment
that can be made available for you to take home from camp are:

VHF/UHF radios

HF radios

Accessories like speakers and tuners

Morse code accessories

Other accessories - Please let me know what you need.

Dick, WA0CAF, likes a link:

This one is about designing in web accessibility from the get-go:
http://webaim.org/blog/accessibility-lipstick-on-a-usability-pig/

George, N0SBU, sent us some pictures of the new 70 cm Hugo repeater:

Here are some pictures of the 443.050. Take a look at the repeater website:

http://www.magicrepeater.net/443.050.htm

73 FROM, N0SBU GEORGE THE SECOND BASE UMPIRE OF HUGO!!!

Dip in the pool dives into the Extra Class:

[battery charger]
Image: A battery charger can create
RFI.<https://handiham.org/audio/battery_charger_noise.mp3>

Today we are checking out a question about noise - that annoying noise that
plagues our receivers at times.

E4C15 asks, "What is the primary source of noise that can be heard from an HF
receiver with an antenna connected?"

Possible answers are:

A. Detector noise

B. Induction motor noise

C. Receiver front-end noise

D. Atmospheric noise

Believe it or not, the right answer is D: Atmospheric noise is actually the
primary source of noise that can be heard from an HF receiver with an antenna
connected.  I picked this question because we are headed back into thunderstorm
season here in the United States Upper Midwest as we move into Spring.
Although we still have some snow on the ground, yesterday we had a few drops of
rain and a bit of lightning and thunder.  The resulting noise in the radio
spectrum can be profound - really disruptive.  When a strong storm is nearby,
the HF bands can be unusable!

However, there are plenty of other sources of noise to make our lives difficult
even on sunny days.  These are usually man-made RF interference, coming from
appliances, TV sets, switching power supplies, motors, power lines - you name
it!  We are pretty much on our own as to identifying noise sources before
anyone will help us do anything about them, but there is a helpful resource on
line where you can listen to the sound of various noise sources.  This can at
least get you started on your detective work by knowing what kind of noise you
might be hearing in your receiver.  It's the ARRL Sounds of RFI page:
http://www.arrl.org/sounds-of-rfi

It's not too early to think about Field Day:

  *   The 2014 field day packets and rules are available from ARRL.  Visit:
http://www.arrl.org/field-day

________________________________
Practical Radio

[pliers and wire]

When do you need high power?

Ah, yes - the siren song of high power is calling you!  With that enormous HF
linear amplifier you will definitely keep the band open hours longer every day.
 You'll be top dog in the pileups.  No one will ask for repeats of anything.
Life will be good.

Um, not so much.

The need for high power can be pressing at times and under special
circumstances.  But most of us do not even need to own HF linear amplifiers to
have a full amateur radio experience year in and year out.  Let's take a look
at who might actually need an amp.

The Net Control Operator:  This is an operator who regularly has net control
station duties, especially on the longer wavelength bands like 75 and 40
meters.  Conditions on these bands can vary quite a bit, and to maintain a
consistent signal the net control station may want to run a linear amplifier.
An example would be when a 75 meter net control station needs to be heard over
a state-wide area and there is a lot of atmospheric noise.

Operators who regularly keep a schedule:  These might be stations using 160,
75, or 40 meters, or even some higher frequencies, who wish to have extra power
available when sky wave propagation is not the best.  Most days 100 watts will
be fine; other days the amplifier is nice to have so that you can keep the
schedule.

Operators who participate in emergency nets on the HF bands:  A linear
amplifier may be called for when you have to make contacts and you do not have
the luxury of waiting for conditions to improve.

But there are also some good reasons NOT to have an amplifier:

You usually will not need it:  This is a biggie.  Most times, most bands, and
for most contacts, a linear amplifier will NOT make the difference between
making contacts and not making them.  Especially on bands of 14 MHz and higher
frequencies, if the band is open, you will make contacts.  If not, you won't -
no matter what the power.

Money spent on expensive HF amplifiers would be better spent on beefing up your
antenna system:  It's true!  An antenna with directional gain enhances your
transmitted signal, just like an amplifier - but it also does the same good
stuff to signals you are receiving, where an amplifier does nothing.  As the
old saying goes, "You can't work them if you can't hear them."

Your ham shack might not be able to handle the power:  I'm talking the AC power
coming into the shack.  Some hefty amplifiers need 220V service.  Electrical
work is not cheap!

Amplifiers introduce another layer of complexity:  You are adding another piece
of gear that needs to be hooked up, grounded, and powered.  It will also need
maintenance and introduces another potential failure point in your station.

Power consumption!  You'll use more if you turn the amp on every day.  Better
to go green if you can and use less power while benefiting by a higher gain
antenna system.

RFI:  Your potential to interfere with all kinds of devices around your own
home and those of your neighbors increases along with your power levels.
Devices that are not affected at 100 watts might bark in protest and misbehave
at 500 watts.  Think about smoke detectors, fire alarm systems, phone wiring,
audio cables feeding stereo systems, TV sets, broadcast band radios, ground
fault interrupters, you name it.

This is practical radio - Use only the power you need.

________________________________
Handiham Nets are on the air daily.

[headset]

Listen for Doug, N6NFF, tonight and try to answer the trivia question during
the first half hour.  Check in later just to get in the log and say hello.  The
trivia question answer is revealed shortly after the first half hour.  If you
are up to a challenge, see if you can correctly answer this week's question.

all of our net control stations!

We maintain our nets at 11:00 hours daily relative to Minnesota time.  Since
the nets remain true to Minnesota time, the difference between Minnesota
Daylight Saving time and GMT is -5 hours and the net is on the air at 16:00
hours GMT.

The two evening sessions are at 00:00 GMT Thursday and Friday.  Here in
Minnesota that translates to 7:00 PM Wednesday and Thursday.

The official and most current net news may be found at:
http://www.handiham.org/nets

________________________________
This week @ HQ

[Cartoon robot with pencil]

Email changes coming April through May

We will be making some changes this Spring in our email systems.  Watch this
newsletter and the Handiham website<https://handiham.org> for any changes in
our contact information.

Digests & Lectures

Reminder:  If you use the NLS cartridges, please return them to us by the first
week in the month so we can include your cartridge in the next mailing.

April 2014 QST Doctor column is ready to go out via NLS digital DAISY
cartridge.  I'll be mailing them this week, time permitting.

CQ Plus April 2014 digest is in DAISY format.  Log in and check out the new CQ!
 This will be included in this month's NLS cartridge.

QCWA Digest for April 2014 is available in MP3.

We have new CQ audio for our blind members submitted by Jim, KJ3P.  It is an
interview with Jim Kutsch, KY2D, President and CEO of The Seeing Eye. This is
from the January 2014 issue, and some additional audio submitted by Bob, N1BLF,
from the March/April CQ Plus.  If you are a Handiham member and wish to be on
our closed notification list for Friday audio, please contact Nancy Meydell in
our main office.

I have started a recording project for Operating Skills, based on the ARRL
book, "Internet Linking for Radio Amateurs" by K1RFD. The goal is to make more
information on VoIP available to our blind members.

In the Extra Class audio lecture series we have completed the course, finishing
up with safety. Everything is now on line and available either as a Daisy
download in zip file format or as individual MP3 files.  The zip file is a half
gig, so it is huge.  Please don't attempt it on a slow or flaky internet
connection!

Jim Perry, KJ3P, Bob Zeida, N1BLF, and Ken Padgitt, W9MJY do the volunteer
digest recording.  Thanks, guys!

In Operating Skills: Joe Bogwist, N3AIN, opens his Radio in the Dark series
with tutorials on how to use the new Kenwood TS-590S 160 - 6 m transceiver!

Secure, blind-friendly Handiham website login:
https://handiham.org/user#main-content

*         We ask that you please log in securely if you are using any kind of a
public network or unsecured wireless.

Remote Base News

Both stations are operational.

[W0EQO station in the server room at Courage North.]

[Kenwood TS-480HX transceiver with LDG autotuner]

Both Handiham Remote Base internet stations W0ZSW and W0EQO are on line for
your use 24/7.

  *   If you use Skype for audio, please connect and disconnect the Skype call
to the remote base manually.  The automatic calling and hang up is no longer
supported in Skype.
  *   200 watt operation is restored on 160, 80, and 40 meters for Extra and
Advanced Class users on W0ZSW.

*         Outages: Outages are reported on
http://handiham.org/remotebase/station-status/.

Operating tip:  Find out how to tell if the remote base station is already in
use if you are using JAWS:

  *   Listen to the tutorial:
http://www.handiham.org/audio/remotebase/W4MQ_status_JAWS.mp3
  *   Read the tutorial in accessible HTML:
http://handiham.org/remotebase/2013/03/05/check-station-status-with-jaws-13-or-14/

Digital Cartridges now Stocked at Handiham HQ:

Nancy now has the NLS 4GB digital cartridges and mailers available at our cost.
 She says:

We now have a supply of digital Talking Book cartridges and mailers available
for purchase for our Handiham members.  The total cost for a set is $15.50.  We
will download any digital study materials from the Members Only section of our
website onto your cartridge at no additional cost.  Minnesota residents please
add $1.13 MN Sales Tax.

[Pat holding up NLS digital cartridge and mailer]

Don't care to download Handiham materials via computer? The NLS digital
cartridge and mailer can bring you Handiham audio digests each month, plus we
have room to put the audio lecture series or equipment tutorials on them, too!

Want to log in?  Let's go:

Secure, blind-friendly Handiham website login:
https://handiham.org/user#main-content

If you have trouble logging in, please let us know.

  *   All Daisy materials are in zip file format, so you simply download the
zip file you need and unzip it so the Daisy book folder can be accessed or
moved to your NLS or other Daisy player.
  *   Tip: When in the Daisy directory, it is easy to find the latest books by
sorting the files by date. Be sure the latest date is at the top. The link to
sort is called "Last Modified".
  *   You can also find what is on a web page by using CONTROL-F.  This brings
up a search box and you can type a key word in, such as "September".  You may
find more than one September, including 2012, but you will eventually come
across what we have posted for September 2013.

Digital mailers are important: If you do mail a digital cartridge to us, please
be sure that it is an approved free matter mailer. Otherwise it will quickly
cost us several dollars to package and mail out, which is more than the cost of
the mailer in the first place. We don't have a stock of cartridges or mailers
and not including a mailer will result in a long delay getting your request
back out to you.

DAISY audio digests are available for our blind members who do not have
computers, playable in your Library of Congress digital player.  Handiham
matter postal mail.  Your call sign should be on both the cartridge and the
Inc.<http://www.aph.org>

Digital Talking Book Cartridge, 4GB, Blank; Catalog Number: 1-02609-00, Price
$13.00

Digital Talking Book Cartridge Mailer Catalog Number: 1-02611-00, Price: $2.50

Order Toll-Free: (800) 223-1839.

The Library of Congress NLS has a list of vendors for the digital cartridges:

Get it all on line as an alternative:  Visit the DAISY section on the Handiham
website after logging in.

________________________________
Stay in touch

[Cartoon robot with cordless phone]

Be sure to send Nancy your changes of address, phone number changes, or email
address changes so that we can continue to stay in touch with you. You may
either email Nancy at
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or call her at
612-775-2291 If you need to use the toll-free number, call 1-866-426-3442.

Nancy Meydell, Handiham Secretary: 612-775-2291 (General information about the
Handiham program, membership renewals)

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA: 612-775-2290 (Program Coordinator, technical questions,
remote base requests, questions about licensing)

The Courage Kenny Handiham Program depends on the support of people like you,
who want to share the fun and friendship of ham radio with others. Please help
us provide services to people with disabilities.

format<http://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>
Email us to subscribe:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Nancy, Handiham Secretary:
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Courage Kenny Handiham Program<http://handiham.org>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

contact Handihams for help joining the ARRL. We will be happy to help you fill
out the paperwork!

[ARRL diamond-shaped logo]

The weekly e-letter is a compilation of software tips, operating information,
and Handiham news. It is published on Wednesdays, and is available to everyone
free of charge. Please email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  for changes of
address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address and your new address.

Return to Handiham.org<http://handiham.org>